UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I've heard/read this term a dozen times in the last half-hour, but google doesn't show anything of relevance.  What is "Teakettling/Kettling"?  

It's been a common police tactic to break protests around the world but was last in the limelight in 2020, here's a GQ article with an explainer, and another from a UK human rights org, but kettling is where cops will cordon off an area and prevent anyone from leaving there, then systematically arrest and process everyone there as criminals. Or maybe let them go. Who knows, it depends on how that cop is feeling in that moment

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

Posted (edited)

Not enough cracking. Hopefully common sense can be cracked into them but seeing these morons grow up and jerk each other off the cloakroom is the next step   I. Sure Blacklab will come come out of the cloakroom and ban me because my opinion is different so I’ll let you guys beat each other off over free Palestine 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 49

It's performative theatrics that just happened to coincide with the opening of admissions of the UT School for Civic Life/Enagement (offshoot of Civitas) and UATX, both borne of the idea of freedom of speech and open exchange of ideas in higher ed.  I'd laugh at the irony but those batons and zip ties look pretty fucking real to me.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, YGIFS said:

It's performative theatrics that just happened to coincide with the opening of admissions of the UT School for Civic Life/Enagement (offshoot of Civitas) and UATX, both borne of the idea of freedom of speech and open exchange of ideas in higher ed.  I'd laugh at the irony but those batons and zip ties look pretty fucking real to me.  

I wonder how Hartzell is gonna square this with UT's Free Speech Week

https://www.utexas.edu/ut-celebrates-free-speech

image.png.69549c34693a925e5863ba4ec4100c4c.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

I wonder how Hartzell is gonna square this with UT's Free Speech Week

https://www.utexas.edu/ut-celebrates-free-speech

image.png.69549c34693a925e5863ba4ec4100c4c.png

I saw him on Friday at the opening of the Harkey Center at McCombs.  Checking out cool race cars, high-fiving students, having a drink, getting ready for the Spring Game, glad-handing, etc.  Looked cool as a cucumber.  This statement literally reads like he's reciting cue cards on a grainy youtube video with Greg Abbott and Eltife behind the camera giving him looks of veiled threats.  

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 10:31 PM, Rex Kramer said:

Dallas on 75 in rush hour traffic today. Near Preston Hollow, home to the Dallas Jew population. 

image.jpeg

I don't know why this term of reference bothers me so. Perhaps its because I'm half Jewish (father's side so not recognized as Jewish by ethnic/religious Jews).  But when people refer to Jewish people (as in, the adjective use of the term) as "Jew" rather than "Jewish", it comes across as anti-Semitic to me (e.g., "I have a Jew lawyer" instead of "my lawyer is Jewish"), or at the very least ignorant.  It carries the same derogatory connotation as when people refer to the "Democrat" Party instead of the "Democratic" Party.

Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

This.

Maybe I've missed it, but I have not seen any videos of protesters throwing rocks or tearing stuff up on UT campus. You can disagree with the message of the protesters while still acknowledging their right to protest and realizing that this level of police response is completely uncalled for. Unless you're a boot licker who jerks off at a show of force I guess.

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think those arrests were at Columbia, not UT.  Abbott has no jurisdiction or authority there.  

Wrong

J. David Goodman
April 24, 2024, 5:15 p.m. ET49 minutes ago
49 minutes ago

A spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Public Safety said at least 20 people have been arrested on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin.

24columbia-protests-carousel-ckhw-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

Wrong

J. David Goodman
April 24, 2024, 5:15 p.m. ET49 minutes ago
49 minutes ago

A spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Public Safety said at least 20 people have been arrested on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin.

24columbia-protests-carousel-ckhw-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Gotcha, the landing page had the Columbia protests, but I finally got through the firewall and saw the UT photo/snippet.  

Between the majority of these protesters doing nothing violent or against school policy and the journalist arrest...this is a massive black eye to the school.  They'll be unpacking this for months.  

Early word if the commencement speaker, because of her officer role in the U.S. Air Force, may back out due to security concerns.  Not saying that's good, bad, or indifferent.  Just a reality.  

This force posturing was completely unnecessary, arrests made unlawfully, done in concert with "Free Speech" efforts at the state and system levels, deafening silence from leadership, etc.  Add that altogether with an embarrassed alumni base in the middle of a capital campaign...a board of regents totally divided on the topic but still having to pay fealty to Abbott.  This is, for UT......how you say.........NOT GREAT BOB! 

• Rage+1 5

Just got this email University wide:

UTPD Notice of Dispersal Order

THIS IS A DISPERSAL ORDER FOR OCCUPANTS OF THE SOUTH MALL:

I am Assistant Chief Ashley Griffin and I represent the University of Texas at Austin Police Department. Your conduct is in violation of Penal Code Sections 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway. 

I command you in the name of the People of the State of Texas to disperse, and if you do not, you shall be arrested for Violation of Penal Code Section 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway.

15 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Just got this email University wide:

UTPD Notice of Dispersal Order

THIS IS A DISPERSAL ORDER FOR OCCUPANTS OF THE SOUTH MALL:

I am Assistant Chief Ashley Griffin and I represent the University of Texas at Austin Police Department. Your conduct is in violation of Penal Code Sections 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway. 

I command you in the name of the People of the State of Texas to disperse, and if you do not, you shall be arrested for Violation of Penal Code Section 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway.

Lmfao speedway, despite it's name, is not a highway or traffic passageway. It's mostly pedestrian traffic. I don't think that's gonna stand up to any level of scrutiny 

They can't seriously be pulling that out and hoping to animate the "shoot the protesters that are on the roads" people, right?

4 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

image.png.adbe8748ff3008eb3e30bf53bce6dd23.png

I don't get this.  Is the implication that protesters are still being unlawful or...?  

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lmfao speedway, despite it's name, is not a highway or traffic passageway. It's mostly pedestrian traffic. I don't think that's gonna stand up to any level of scrutiny 

They can't seriously be pulling that out and hoping to animate the "shoot the protesters that are on the roads" people, right?

Yeah, other than maintenance/UTPD vehicles...there's no vehicular traffic and hasn't been for years.  Maybe DPS didn't get that memo.  There's a shit ton of foot traffic because it's between the library, Gregory Gym, McCombs, and a few COLA buildings.  It's often used nowadays as a collection of tables/displays for student groups as West Mall gets less foot traffic.  They're gonna have a real hard time justifying this.  But if they can get away with letting dozens of kids get murdered by AR-15's, I'm sure the "things could have been worse at UT" spin machine will work just fine from the Dome.  

9 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Folks cheering on cops busting up unarmed students? So first amendment only applies to your beliefs? You can remove abbots dick from your mouth, I think the tree broke that too

If shouting anti-Jewish hate speech, should the University not intervene on University grounds?  If praising the Hamas terrorist group etc?  Is that fair to Jewish students?  Would it be permitted for alternative races/groups if the Jewish population wasn’t the target?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 10

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

I guess this is a good place as any to remind folks that many Americans were HAPPY with the 4 dead at Kent State. Seeing college students protesting really breaks brains for some reason.

College students are supposed to be protesting. It's college. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If shouting anti-Jewish hate speech, should the University not intervene on University grounds?  If praising the Hamas terrorist group etc?  Is that fair to Jewish students?  Would it be permitted for alternative races/groups if the Jewish population wasn’t the target?

So every student was spewing anti Jewish hate speech? You have proof of that? You think everyone there is antisemitic? 

All hate speech is wrong. full stop. 

I support free speech. I support peaceful protest. I don’t always agree with their cause but I support their rights. It’s those that are only for “their speech” being protected and skulls getting cracked that piss me off

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• mdmost changed the title to UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread