RIP Morgan Spurlock

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Loved Super-Size Me. It made me sweat off fast food (for the most part). Seemed like a good dude.

Jokes aside, I think this was a very important public service. He did this before Food Inc and other docs started to expose the idea of Big Ag and the food/health crisis in America. He did seem like a good guy and sad that he went so early. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Apparently he was a serious alcoholic when he made Super Size Me. I can't imagine why his liver enzymes were off the charts at the end of his month of McDonald's. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Jokes aside, I think this was a very important public service. He did this before Food Inc and other docs started to expose the idea of Big Ag and the food/health crisis in America. He did seem like a good guy and sad that he went so early. 

I think one of the best things was showing how fast food was a lot cheaper and more readily available to poor people than healthier options. The "healthier" options like Subway (oof that Jared is in it) and grocery stores weren't as affordable as a value meal at McDonald's so it's easier if you're poor to opt for them because you absolutely know what you're getting and how it tastes. Pretty interesting given McDonalds seems less affordable now with inflation. It also killed the Super Size which was an incredible public service. His F/X show was pretty good as well, especially the one where the guy had to live at the poverty line for 30 days. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Spurlock was not a documentarian; he was a reality TV developer. SSM is full of questions and shouldn’t be looked at as fact. He never released his food logs and his claimed diet has been questioned. Once he admitted that he had been a daily drunk for three decades a few years afterwards it’s likely his shitty liver, kidney, and blood numbers probably had more to do with his alcoholism than eating McDonald’s. SSM2 lost its district deal due to his admissions regarding g his sexual misconduct on his various shows.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Spurlock was not a documentarian; he was a reality TV developer. SSM is full of questions and shouldn’t be looked at as fact. He never released his food logs and his claimed diet has been questioned. Once he admitted that he had been a daily drunk for three decades a few years afterwards it’s likely his shitty liver, kidney, and blood numbers probably had more to do with his alcoholism than eating McDonald’s. SSM2 lost its district deal due to his admissions regarding g his sexual misconduct on his various shows.

Dude, you can still eat McDonald’s. In shame. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Good One Lol GIF by Justin

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

image.gif.b6a9d5ce5d67481308b1a50f98d15f59.gif

• Haha 7

In this chat with @Texzilla588, I completely forgot to give my respects to Morgan Spurlock. The guy was one of the greats. He was an amazing documentarian. Super Size Me almost got the recognition it deserved but I felt it fell short only getting a nomination instead of the Oscar for Best Documentary

image.thumb.png.75b8571eae29101b27d3538f27b967b6.png Details here - https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2005

Anyway, RIP to one of the greats.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Some professor experimented on himself and lost weight eating only a McDs but calorie controlled. 

But that doesn't disprove the point.  A single mom in a town where there is only burger joints providing fast food will be going to them too much, regardless of theoretical possibilities.   

In this chat with [mention=8619]Texzilla588[/mention], I completely forgot to give my respects to Morgan Spurlock. The guy was one of the greats. He was an amazing documentarian. Super Size Me almost got the recognition it deserved but I felt it fell short only getting a nomination instead of the Oscar for Best Documentary
image.thumb.png.75b8571eae29101b27d3538f27b967b6.png Details here - https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2005

Anyway, RIP to one of the greats.

Too bad folks didn’t actually hold him to any standards of journalistic integrity. His fatty alcoholic liver was more responsible for his shitty health than anything.

55 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Some professor experimented on himself and lost weight eating only a McDs but calorie controlled. 

But that doesn't disprove the point.  A single mom in a town where there is only burger joints providing fast food will be going to them too much, regardless of theoretical possibilities.   

Just don't overeat. 

33 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

His fatty alcoholic liver was more responsible for his shitty health than anything.

Speaking on the behalf of fatty alcoholic livers everywhere; Sorry for partying, Your Eminence. Now fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Too bad folks didn’t actually hold him to any standards of journalistic integrity. His fatty alcoholic liver was more responsible for his shitty health than anything.

I never saw the movie. Did he not weigh himself and have baseline labs drawn prior to going in the Super sized diet?

Or is it your contention that, concomitant to beginning the Super sized diet, he went from teetotaler to raging alcoholic? 

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Just don't overeat. 

Twinkie Guy — also known as Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University — is the genius who lost 27 pounds in 10 weeks subsisting almost exclusively on Twinkies, Doritos, Oreos and other treats by ensuring that he consumed fewer calories than he burned. Stop the presses.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2010-dec-06-la-he-fitness-twinkie-diet-20101206-story.html#:~:text=Twinkie Guy — also known as,Stop the presses.

• Hook 'Em 1

I never saw the movie. Did he not weigh himself and have baseline labs drawn prior to going in the Super sized diet?
Or is it your contention that, concomitant to beginning the Super sized diet, he went from teetotaler to raging alcoholic? 

He admitted being a raging alcholic for over three decades in 2017. He never released his food logs or actual labs. It was entertainment; it was his background as a reality tv developer at MTV.

SSM2 was shelved after he lost his distro deal after he was me too’d.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

He admitted being a raging alcholic for over three decades in 2017. He never released his food logs or actual labs. It was entertainment; it was his background as a reality tv developer at MTV.

Again, I haven’t watched it and probably won’t, but I thought the whole premise was his doctors followed him over the course of a month or so on this extreme diet and saw significant changes in his weight and his labs. Presumably, even if he were a heavy drinker, there is no mention that he quit the drinking over that month of eating fast food. If he continued his usual, heavy drinking, any changes in weight and labs should be attributable to the diet, controlling for other variables. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. Of course he did it for entertainment purposes, but there’s no reason to think that the adverse health effects weren’t from the diet based on what we know. 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Again, I haven’t watched it and probably won’t, but I thought the whole premise was his doctors followed him over the course of a month or so on this extreme diet and saw significant changes in his weight and his labs. Presumably, even if he were a heavy drinker, there is no mention that he quit the drinking over that month of eating fast food. If he continued his usual, heavy drinking, any changes in weight and labs should be attributable to the diet, controlling for other variables. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. Of course he did it for entertainment purposes, but there’s no reason to think that the adverse health effects weren’t from the diet based on what we know. 

He ate 5000 calories a day for the film and admittedly stopped exercising. Go figure he got fat and unhealthy. I recall him admitting he would eat when he wasn't even hungry. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

He ate 5000 calories a day for the film and admittedly stopped exercising. Go figure he got fat and unhealthy. I recall him admitting he would eat when he wasn't even hungry. 

c0a3a72c-89cf-4415-889d-b7ad186a8210_tex

11 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

It must truly be 'late stage capitalism' when yuppies call a company evil for enabling people access calorie-dense food with macronutrients for $1, because a lifelong alcoholic decides to binge 2.5x the recommended intake and wash it down with a side of whiskey.

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

It must truly be 'late stage capitalism' when yuppies call a company evil for enabling people access calorie-dense food with macronutrients for $1, because a lifelong alcoholic decides to binge 2.5x the recommended intake and wash it down with a side of whiskey.

Relax, dude, it was just entertainment.