2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

I said a few months ago on this thread that SLC were not real state title contenders imo. They played in a weak district and didn’t dominate it the way Duncanville did theirs.

Next week is the real test for Samples. He usually chokes against teams of or near equal talent, SLC didn’t fit that this year, but Allen obviously does.

Just got home from Southlake - Duncanville. A few observations:

Mickens - Played exclusively at WR for at least the 2nd game in a row. I have seen Southlake several times this year and he has played very little safety. Slot corner when he has played on defense but primarily  has played WR. Talk on the Southake side is that he has a bit of a shoulder ding but hard to evaluate as a DB since he barely played there

Thompson the 2020 safety from Duncanville is a 17 year old grown ass man. Looked to be about 6'2" and 210. Plays primarily near the LOS as almost a LB. Damn near killed the Southlake RB TJ McDaniel {pretty decent HS RB going to SMU} in the 1st half. I love HS stars who cover kicks and he ran down on every Duncanville kickoff.

Jackson the 2020 QB for Duncanville is a guy you want to have the ball in his hands. The few times Southlake got Duncanville behind the sticks everybody in the building knew he would make a play. He really did a good job of not forcing throws when Southlake covered receivers. Several times he made throws on the run after breaking the pocket. Southlake was so concerned about him  running they dropped coverage when he left the pocket and left receivers wide open down the field. He would be an ideal QB prospect if we want to continue the Ohio Sate power run game offense

As noted above this was the 1st time this year Southlake played somebody with elite athletes. And Duncanville has them in waves. Southlake is the epitome of the maxed out Texas high school kids. They ran into an athletic well coached buzz saw today and got destroyed.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

SLC didn’t have a Qb this year. I think they ran the ball 65% of the time on the season. Duncanville is loaded. 3 or 4 national top 100 recruits on their team. Hope the beat Allen and battle North Shore for the title. 

Duncanville has 3 players in the 24/7 top 50 for 2020 including the QB.  

They gonna be good next year also.  

Allen v Duncanville shapes up as a great game.  

Edited by Laga4

9 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Longview will face Tascosa 8 p.m. Saturday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

Go Lobos!

I haven’t paid any attention to Tascosa since I graduated a couple decades ago. But I’m all in now baby!

btw, I had 4 ints and 4 rec tds as a senior. Drank a lot of miller lite back then too. Good ole days. 

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I haven’t paid any attention to Tascosa since I graduated a couple decades ago. But I’m all in now baby!

btw, I had 4 ints and 4 rec tds as a senior. Drank a lot of miller lite back then too. Good ole days. 

1wn2bb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

When were you there. My brother was QB on the 1990 team. 

19 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Allen won 51-7 and plays duncanville who also won 51-7

North shore won 38-21 and plays LT who also won 38-21. 

Interesting in a numerical way. 

I thought it was a typo. Not like 51 is a common football score. 

1 hour ago, Wild Bill said:

Cuero vs Silsbee @ Katy Legacy stadium 7:30 Friday.  I'll be there and ready to report the news.

28 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Calallen vs. Fort Bend Marshall
7:30 PM Friday @ Dub Farris Stadium in San Antonio.

I would be surprised if either of these games are close.  

Of all the teams I didn't think had a chance to win state when the playoffs started, FB Marshall is the one who's most likely to win state.  They have really turned it up, and they're playing incredible.  

Edited by Beau Vine

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I would be surprised if either of these games are close.  

Of all the teams I didn't think had a chance to win state when the playoffs started, FB Marshall is the one who's most likely to win state.  They have really turned it up, and they're playing incredible.  

Who is the favorite in the Cuero/Silsbee game? 

5 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

North Shore vs. Lake Travis - this should be a fun one.  I'll take North Shore.

At NRG, I'll be there. 

Last trip there was the beating delivered by Katy in the title game a few years ago.  Got there early and watched NS beat up westlake.  Found a free flowing tap and really only remember I was there because of second hand accounts. 

29 minutes ago, markstanco said:

5100 students at a HS. So unfair for dozens of kids that could be playing.

That number doesn't include the nearly 1500 kids at their freshman campus.

Football teams don't cut people, but I could not imagine trying to make a baseball, basketball, softball, tennis, volleyball, etc. team at a school like that. Leaves out a ton of kids who want to participate in extracurriculars. And even looking at it from a cynical "well only the best of the best deserve to play" perspective, Allen is only really dominant in football. They have a one recent basketball state title I think but they never do much of anything in other sports. So you're denying a shit-ton of kids the chance to play while also not dominating sports like you should be at that enrollment. It's all-around dumb. 

Looking at the roster lists on max preps, it's north shore that really stands out.  They hare like 4-5 guys assigned to each number, that crazy.

LT has their JV teams suit up and travel to playoffs, makes the team look big but that's not actually the point.  The real reason is buy-in and some of those kids even get to play in the early rounds.  But NS appears to have a very large number of players, more than Allen by a lot. 

18 hours ago, HenryJames said:

It’s not like it was a close game. Dude could’ve started crying st 7-0.

he’s not crying because they lost, he’s crying because he’ll never play another snap of football with his high school teammates.  

you probably experienced something similar when field hockey season ended your senior year. 

Edited by futureman
  • Like 5