Last day for peanuts on Southwest....

Brisketexan

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/07/31/southwest-airlines-peanuts-not-offered-after-july-31/873774002/

The last day Southwest will serve peanuts is Tuesday (July 31). In an announcement made July 10, the company says it's concerned about passenger peanut allergies. Some travelers are treating the little blue bags of salted peanuts as a collectors item. 

Well, ain't that something.  Hell, I brought home two bags late last week (I usually don't eat 'em, but the kids love 'em as a quick snack).  Gonna be weird the next time I fly SWA and they hand out pretzels or whatnot (which they did on longer flights, but peanuts were still the rule).

I remember smoking flights.  I guess now I'll remember peanut flights.

I'm allergic to non-alcoholic drinks.  I hope they ban all of those soon and quit charging (or using tickets) for alcoholic ones.

Nothing though will EVER beat the "poker seats". Goddamn airline almost jumped the shark when they got rid of those.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 4

I'm allergic to non-alcoholic drinks.  I hope they ban all of those soon and quit charging (or using tickets) for alcoholic ones.

Nothing though will EVER beat the "poker seats". Goddamn airline almost jumped the shark when they got rid of those.

Loves those. Was happy hour in the sky.

14 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

It was the best way to meet women since imitation crabmeat.

Troof.  STORY:

Heading to NM with a buddy to go fishing one weekend.  We sat on one side of the seats, and immediately started getting beers with my jillion free drink coupons.  An older hispanic lady was sitting next to us, knitting or something like that (yeah, this was a LONG time ago, when you could bring sharp stuff on a plane).  My buddy and I are visiting, and I'm giving him a hard time about his recent bad luck with the ladies -- no girlfriend, no prospects.  He gives me the "yeah, yeah, I know" speech, explaining that the last two girls he dated were nuts (they were), and it's hard to find a decent gal.  As we're talking, I look down the aisle, and see a girl I knew from school.  I tell my buddy "hey, it's my friend Sally -- she's a really nice girl.  We should invite her to sit across from us."  I do so.  We buy her a beverage.  All is well.  Ready for a nice visit in the happy hour lounge.

To make small talk, I ask Sally "so, why are you heading to New Mexico?"  Without hesitation, she answers "I'm going to see a bullrider I've been fuckin'." 

Okay.  She has our attention.  She proceeds to explain that he recently found Jesus, and the last time they were together, he wouldn't have sex with her.  She then proceeds to describe, in detail, ALL the outfits she wore, and didn't, and all the things she did to try to bring him back around (I give her an "A" for the effort -- she tried a LOT of stuff).  It was an entertaining and detailed conversation.  She says that this trip is a last-chance kinda thing -- if she can't turn him back to the screwing side, she's gonna move on.  After a while she has to get up to go pee.  She walks away down the aisle.

My buddy turns to me, grinning and a bit shocked -- "you said she was a NICE GIRL?"  I'm sputtering "I really thought she was -- she was so quiet and nice back in school!" 

Our conversation pauses, and the hispanic lady speaks up to my buddy, without looking up from her knitting, in accented English --  "oye....you should date HER."

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Also, I sweatergawd.....there are already packs up on E-bay....here's one of 5 packs with an opening bid of $250:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Southwest-Airlines-peanuts/263850158614?hash=item3d6eb1ea16%3Ag%3AR7sAAOSwoAVbYNvH&_sacat=0&_nkw=southwest+peanuts&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xsouthwest+peanut.TRS0

The only thing that gives me ANY faith in humanity is that nobody seems to be bidding on these.  Yet.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, I sweatergawd.....there are already packs up on E-bay....here's one of 5 packs with an opening bid of $250:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Southwest-Airlines-peanuts/263850158614?hash=item3d6eb1ea16%3Ag%3AR7sAAOSwoAVbYNvH&_sacat=0&_nkw=southwest+peanuts&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xsouthwest+peanut.TRS0

The only thing that gives me ANY faith in humanity is that nobody seems to be bidding on these.  Yet.

I can't believe ebay is even still a thing.

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Troof.  STORY:

knitting or something like that (yeah, this was a LONG time ago, when you could bring sharp stuff on a plane).  

Knitting needles are still allowed. Because that makes sense. Thanks for keeping us safe TSA.

Southwest party days are long gone.

smoking  ...  check

backwards facing seats   ...   check

free donuts in waiting area  ...   check

free coffee in waiting area  ...  check

cute air waitresses  ...   check

free cocktails  ...  check

free peanuts ...   check

Edited by BottleRocket

43 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

smoking  ...  check

free peanuts ...   check

This.  They would hand out free beer like it was candy.  IIRC, they said their policy was if they are 15 minutes late (which was often) they would give beer away.

Once in a while you still run across a cute stewardess.

1 hour ago, BottleRocket said:

smoking  ...  check

free peanuts ...   check

This.

The backward facing seat areas were the pole position party areas on every flight.  The fun people always sat in those sections.

The good old days...