Jalen Hurts not happy; grad transfers to OU

Machinator

7 minutes ago, 47Straight said:

You clowns still think OU is air raid? Y'all got out-rushed in both games last year. They averaged nearly 10 more rushing attempts than passing attempts.

They're not a pure Air Raid team, but they absolutely use Air Raid concepts. The fact that you think Air Raid simply constitutes passing more than running exposes the ignorance about the offense your own team runs.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They're not a pure Air Raid team, but they absolutely use Air Raid concepts. The fact that you think Air Raid simply constitutes passing more than running exposes the ignorance about the offense your own team runs.

And exposes the ignorance of many on this board that believes Lincoln Riley runs the classic pass first Air Raid offense.

Edited by Buddy Hinton
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 16

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Had one when I was 13. I vividly recall (to this day, and I’m 40) shaking, blacking out, losing my power of speech and all motor skills, yet being highly aware something was seriously wrong, and hearing my mother screaming at my Dad fearful that I was dying. I had the same thought you did. 

I have nightmares about it to this day. 

Rub some dirt on that shit.

2 hours ago, Buddy Hinton said:

And exposes the ignorance of many on this board that believes Lincoln Riley runs the classic pass first Air Raid offense.

The fact that you felt the need to add 2 qualifiers out of thin air tells me you know that original argument is essentially correct.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Had one when I was 13. I vividly recall (to this day, and I’m 40) shaking, blacking out, losing my power of speech and all motor skills, yet being highly aware something was seriously wrong, and hearing my mother screaming at my Dad fearful that I was dying. I had the same thought you did. 

I have nightmares about it to this day. 

That was pretty much my experience. It’s a shit fucking sandwich man

3 hours ago, sushihorn said:

The fact that you felt the need to add 2 qualifiers out of thin air tells me you know that original argument is essentially correct.

I consider the classic Air Raid to be the Hal Mumme/Leach system.

Leach's offense threw the ball the 70% of the time in 2018 & 68% in 2017. Riley was at 41% & 43% for the same years

10 hours ago, Buddy Hinton said:

I consider the classic Air Raid to be the Hal Mumme/Leach system.

Leach's offense threw the ball the 70% of the time in 2018 & 68% in 2017. Riley was at 41% & 43% for the same years

Choosing to run more doesn't change the philosophical basis of the offensive scheme.  Riley still spreads the field by formation and personnel.  He still spreads it further with quick horizontal passes off pre-snap reads.  Yes, he runs it more often but I suspect that is in large part because he can get better OL in Norman than anyone could in Lubbock. 

But Lincoln Riley's scheme is still pass-dependent, just like Leach's.  If the passing game breaks down, Riley's running game can be shut down easily.  In much the same way, Texas shutting down Georgia's running game severely damaged their passing attack as well.  Many Georgia fans thought they had a balanced offense based on cumulative stats without understanding that it was the running game that made the passing game possible.  OU is similar but in the opposite direction.

Coming back full circle to Jalen Hurts, if he can't make the passing game go, OU's running game and the offense as a whole would be hamstrung.  The same would be true of Hurts in WSU's offense.  That's why I made the comment that I did.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Choosing to run more doesn't change the philosophical basis of the offensive scheme.  Riley still spreads the field by formation and personnel.  He still spreads it further with quick horizontal passes off pre-snap reads.  Yes, he runs it more often but I suspect that is in large part because he can get better OL in Norman than anyone could in Lubbock. 

But Lincoln Riley's scheme is still pass-dependent, just like Leach's.  If the passing game breaks down, Riley's running game can be shut down easily.  In much the same way, Texas shutting down Georgia's running game severely damaged their passing attack as well.  Many Georgia fans thought they had a balanced offense based on cumulative stats without understanding that it was the running game that made the passing game possible.  OU is similar but in the opposite direction.

Coming back full circle to Jalen Hurts, if he can't make the passing game go, OU's running game and the offense as a whole would be hamstrung.  The same would be true of Hurts in WSU's offense.  That's why I made the comment that I did.

Fair enough.

Yes its an Air Raid based system. Of course, its dependent on the pass being successful. No 1 dimensional offense works well.

Just based on previous comments on this board, believe that Riley is running the MIke Leach offense where the QB throws the ball 7 out of 10 times.

I don't believe that Jalen Hurts could be successful in that offense

Just now, Buddy Hinton said:

Fair enough.

Yes its an Air Raid based system. Of course, its dependent on the pass being successful. No 1 dimensional offense works well.

Just based on previous comments on this board, believe that Riley is running the MIke Leach offense where the QB throws the ball 7 out of 10 times.

There are idiots on this board, Butty, but we're still smarter than you are. Many of us attended Texas, not some shitpile tier three school like Oklahoma.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buddy Hinton said:

Fair enough.

I don't believe that Jalen Hurts could be successful in that offense

You really have to respond to the people making those claims if that is what you're seeing.  The context of the discussion is where Jalen Hurts might go as a transfer.  Comping OU's scheme to the OG Air Raid is fine in that light because they require similar passing ability from the QB.  If the discussion was about how much OU's running game sucks and is no better than WSU's I'd agree with you.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, gecko said:

Count me among those that thinks Hurts is a threat at OU. But sooner or later OU has to stop the one year QB rentals and actually develop someone. This doesn’t seem sustainable...but maybe it is under the new transfer protocols.

They had Mayfield for 4 years (1 year sitting out) and Murray for 3 (1 sitting out) those aren't exactly 1 year rentals.  They had to develop both of them.

21 minutes ago, gecko said:

Count me among those that thinks Hurts is a threat at OU. But sooner or later OU has to stop the one year QB rentals and actually develop someone. This doesn’t seem sustainable...but maybe it is under the new transfer protocols.

Mayfield was at OU for 4 years. Murray was at OU for 3 years. Try again.

Edited by 47Straight
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 8

• Machinator changed the title to Jalen Hurts not happy; grad transfers to OU

He's got 7 months to learn a new offense and completely different system and style.  Mayfield was a spread QB at Tech and Lake Travis.  Then he had 20 months to sit and learn before taking the field at OU.  The Ewok played for a spread HC and Air Raid bro OC at aggy.  He also sat for 20 months before playing a snap, then was backup for a year before starting.

Hurts has a much lower starting point as a passer and less time to learn. 

• Like 2