2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

This, this, this.  This is the same group of bats that won the WS last year.  If McCann makes it back, it will be the same group with Kemp replacing Maybin.  If Tucker figures things out soon, 'Tuve and Correa come back fresh, and others get to 80% of what they were last year, the league is going to be sweating the Astros again.

Astros having the same group of bats this year as the team that won it all in 2017 during which several had career years isn’t enough.
The Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers do not have the same bats as last year...

On the plus side, thankfully, the Astros’ arms in 2018 are not the same as 2017 either...
  • Like 1

this thought might be more of an "mlb thread" post, but in all the talk about the nats, letting harper walk, etc, it got me thinking.  we had three straight number 1 picks, and all three times, articles stated there wasn't a clear cut #1 type guy available, and how the astros didn't get lucky how washington got, having generational talents like harper and strasberg available to them.

obviously those picks were a mixed bag (correa, appel, aiken).  but considering we turned aiken into bregman, well, yeah.

meanwhile, we won a world series, and the nats (still with both on their team) can't win a playoff series.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pablo said:

waiver deadline still out there, but I can see where they weren't willing to part with anymore top prospects for marginal upside

we just gotta hope we get healthy and figure out where the hitting has gone

I would agree, but going after a guy like Harper is more than a marginal bat. He would kill on this team.

Was hoping to swing a deal for McCutchen, but he wasn't moved, so maybe SF thinks they are still in it. Other than him, there wasn't too much available that excited me. 

Choo could be a target, I guess, for an August trade. His bat would be great; his contract, not so much. 

Offense will be a shitshow until Altuve and Ripken come back. 

29 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Choo is an intriguing idea if they can get the Rangers to eat enough salary. 

40 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yeah I would take McCutchen over Reddick at the moment.....so I definitely would take him over the clusterfuck in left field.  

Why not both?

I don't understand why we don't put Kemp in the leadoff position until Altuve and Correa get back. Batting Bregman 3 and Springer 4 would change the entire dynamic of the lineup IMO. 

1. Kemp 2B

2. Reddick RF

3. Bregman 3B

4. Springer CF

5. Gurriel 1B

6. Gattis DH

7. Gonzales SS

8. Stassi C

9. Tucker LF

That would be my lineup for RHP at least. I don't get what Hinch was doing the last few games with the lineup. It's easy to pitch around our few dangerous hitters to get to our AAA rejects. 

Quick Yuli update from the cleanup spot. He's 3 for his last 33, no extra base hits during that time and 2 rbis. Also during that time, he has as many errors (3) as he has hits, which means he has one more error during this 8 game streak than he does rbis, all from the cleanup spot. He has one extra base hit, a double, in his last 15 games. All from the cleanup spot. The guy does not have his strength back from his wrist injury, he's 34, and he's killing the team. 

And Correa is made of glass.

Luhnow and Hinch are thinking that the 2017 versions of Reddick, Gurriel, Gonzalez, and company are going to show up on the field in 2018. Continuing to trot Reddick out there for maximum ABs and keeping Gurriel in the cleanup spot are sure signs of it. Tucker not getting reps in the lineup is a fucking joke. He can literally do no worse than those playing ahead of him and he's gaining nothing on the bench. 

I assume this team is still capable of catching fire when Correa and Altuve are healthy, so I like the Astros as much as any team in the postseason and probably more, simply due to the experience and pitching. That said, Altuve looking like an extended break sucks given the race in the division. I like the Astros in 5 or 7 game series. Not sure I like them for the next 2 months if those guys don't get back quickly, which means there may not be a postseason. 

Quick Yuli update from the cleanup spot. He's 3 for his last 33, no extra base hits during that time and 2 rbis. Also during that time, he has as many errors (3) as he has hits, which means he has one more error during this 8 game streak than he does rbis, all from the cleanup spot. He has one extra base hit, a double, in his last 15 games. All from the cleanup spot. The guy does not have his strength back from his wrist injury, he's 34, and he's killing the team. 
And Correa is made of glass.
Luhnow and Hinch are thinking that the 2017 versions of Reddick, Gurriel, Gonzalez, and company are going to show up on the field in 2018. Continuing to trot Reddick out there for maximum ABs and keeping Gurriel in the cleanup spot are sure signs of it. Tucker not getting reps in the lineup is a fucking joke. He can literally do no worse than those playing ahead of him and he's gaining nothing on the bench. 
I assume this team is still capable of catching fire when Correa and Altuve are healthy, so I like the Astros as much as any team in the postseason and probably more, simply due to the experience and pitching. That said, Altuve looking like an extended break sucks given the race in the division. I like the Astros in 5 or 7 game series. Not sure I like them for the next 2 months if those guys don't get back quickly, which means there may not be a postseason. 

What about the extended time when he was hitting .480 with RISP?

I get it, he’s in the toilet now but he wasn’t before. So what now? Cut him? Or are you just saying to bat him 8th?

What about the extended time when he was hitting .480 with RISP?

I get it, he’s in the toilet now but he wasn’t before. So what now? Cut him? Or are you just saying to bat him 8th?

He still is 2nd in the MLB IN BA/RISP and has the 2nd highest BA on the team. Yet, according to ctj, he’s killing the team. ctj is nothing but a grave dancer.

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I would agree, but going after a guy like Harper is more than a marginal bat. He would kill on this team.

I agree with you, but I wasn't expecting them to go after Harper.

i'm anxious to see if the Nats struggle, if their GM gets desperate to unload him before only getting a single compensation pick for him.