Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

On 5/5/2023 at 1:34 PM, 52-80 said:

He gone. 

csb/ So awkward moment at my neighbor's house remodel the other day.  Put in a pool and a litle addition on top of the garage facing the pool.  so he's taking me through it to his son (like 12 or 13) new room which overlooks the pool via double window that opens up to a little shingle shelf thats over the pool.  So I look out the window and it's literally right over the pool. 

And he explains "yeah, we already know he's gonna jump outta there into the pool one day.  We all did it as boys."  But I had to be debbie downer and say, "I did it too, but into the deep end."  In that moment, he realized they put the window and shelf right over the shallow end./steps/hot tub.  I don't know how the fuck nobody caught that, but this video made me think of how shit goes wrong with drunk males.  

This morning there is a crew out there moving the window and roof shelf to the edge of his room over the deep end.  It they charge him for the mistake, I told him to send the contractor this video  and a summons. 

If we had ubiquitous camera phones a few decades ago, there's more than a few times water heaters leaked right through the ceiling and onto the beds of sleeping children.  Amazes me the dumb shit builders do because they can't read plans. 

To be fair to this gutter installer, there is no permit checkbox that says, "Can this support a running 300 pound man?"     

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

This morning there is a crew out there moving the window and roof shelf to the edge of his room over the deep end.  It they charge him for the mistake, I told him to send the contractor this video  and a summons. 

I would be surprised if the contractor would do that for free. I assume your neighbor either came up with the basic layout themselves or at least approved them. Maybe the contractor should've mentioned that it wasn't a good idea, but your neighbor should've thought of that first. He literally told you they knew the kid would eventually jump from there, and it still never crossed their mind that it was the shallow end? That's pretty fucking stupid of him.

• Hook 'Em 3

A few weeks ago I was in Lowe’s and I saw a man carrying (hiding) a nice sized box under his jacket under his left arm. As he walked by I just stopped and stared at him. I then turned and followed him out of curiosity down another aisle. He finally started towards one of the exits and I caught the eyes of a couple of employees and pointed him out. They all nodded at me with acknowledgment. As he approached the door they casually walked that way as well. Once he was at the door he bolted and all they did was watch him run. They told me that it is their policy to not confront or chase shoplifters because of the danger that it may present.
The whole thing just pissed me off.

Back in the day my old ass uncle got arrested for shoplifting at the Home Depot on 610 North in Houston. He bought a bunch of shit, but had put $35 worth of shit in his pocket, as his arms were full, and forgot to dig them out to pay. Class B misdemeanor as Class C at the time was $25 ( or whatever). Spent most of the night in jail over it.
Saw the same store parade around a dude that attempted shoplifting and got caught, with a "I'm a shoplifter" sign around his neck as some sort of penance instead of calling the cops. Bizzare.

In West Austin these days I routinely have to wait for a cashier to even appear- at the CVS, Lowes, Corner store. I could steal all sorts of shit, walk out with whatever, or only self check half my shit and no one gives a fuck. Crazy.

I guess the liability and costs of preventing shrinkage is factored into operating costs and they've found cheaper to let shit slide. Or maybe most people are pretty honest.

8 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I would be surprised if the contractor would do that for free. I assume your neighbor either came up with the basic layout themselves or at least approved them. Maybe the contractor should've mentioned that it wasn't a good idea, but your neighbor should've thought of that first. He literally told you they knew the kid would eventually jump from there, and it still never crossed their mind that it was the shallow end? That's pretty fucking stupid of him.

Like most overly-ambitious novice home-remodelers, he got over his skis.  And I'm guessing a GC in very active and overpriced business development ecosystem got over his skis as well.  Miscommunication abound and voila---a 15' dropoff directly where the hottub/steps/shallow end and all meet.  I'm sure everybody shares some blame.  But my neighbor did me a couple of solids over the years and didn't charge me.  So this is where our mutual background in Chicago comes into play.  Neither the GC nor the neighbor speaks any Spanish and are both very nice guys.  That's where I come in.  The important thing is the window and ledge get moved.  If he can save some money, the boys are a hint safer when they get a little older, and the GC can save some face, everybody wins.  It was made clear to all involved.  Work will be completed this week with extra crew on hand.  No extra charges, more lectures to the boys about safety, and I pay back my friend the old-school way.  

csb, I know.  But honestly if I had done the walk-thru without seeing that horrific video, I may have not even noticed it but I watched it 30 minutes before hanging out in the street and thought of it as I noticed the ledge placement.  Sometimes it takes a brain-dead slovenian amateur daredevil on shitty gutter-work to help a friend be best.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Back in the day my old ass uncle got arrested for shoplifting at the Home Depot on 610 North in Houston. He bought a bunch of shit, but had put $35 worth of shit in his pocket, as his arms were full, and forgot to dig them out to pay. Class B misdemeanor as Class C at the time was $25 ( or whatever). Spent most of the night in jail over it.
Saw the same store parade around a dude that attempted shoplifting and got caught, with a "I'm a shoplifter" sign around his neck as some sort of penance instead of calling the cops. Bizzare.

In West Austin these days I routinely have to wait for a cashier to even appear- at the CVS, Lowes, Corner store. I could steal all sorts of shit, walk out with whatever, or only self check half my shit and no one gives a fuck. Crazy.

I guess the liability and costs of preventing shrinkage is factored into operating costs and they've found cheaper to let shit slide. Or maybe most people are pretty honest.

It's_All_So_Tiresome.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Or just tell your kid that if he jumps out of the window he’s gonna break something.

14 hours ago, Born to Run said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1