Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Yea, that's your published rate, not a single one of your clients pays that rate. Why don't you just go ahead and say your rate is $9000 an hour, your still gonna get the same amount, not that, please. I like the statment "Even if he is completely innocent...", if he is innocent, then he gets the job. You don't like the way he defended his innocence, so he gets the same result as if he was guilty. Is that justice...?

Well, if you’re innocent of the original allegation...but you repeatedly perjure yourself, AND demonstrate that you don’t have the temperament for the job....yeah, I’m gonna say that’s a problem, Bob.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s so hard to tell who to trust...the journalists busting their asses doing their jobs or the guy that is definitely lying? 

I will be trusting for the rich white guy who has been a habitual liar for years because he speaks his mind and represents me middle class joe.

36 minutes ago, Stros said:

Despite being investigated by the FBI 6 times.

A background check is not the same as an investigation into a specific allegation.  It's not even in the same ballpark.  You know this of course, but you are throwing shit against the wall anyway because you have the mind of a 6 year old.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Not surprising.   Friend is a Deacon at a local Baptist church, and he loses his position if he’s busted even taking a small amount of alcohol.  His church views it as “enabling” or tempting those who can’t control their drinking, if they see church leaders taking a drink.  Kavanaugh boasting about his love of beer probably made that group clutch their pearls even harder. 

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So what are your thoughts on your own family's immigration into the United States?  Are you intellectually honest enough to actually discuss it?

Yes my parents were top notch in their fields, fluent in English and affluent.

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Tahoe and an Incredulity think it's wise to unleash fire hoses and attack dogs on black people to protect private property.

White property. They don't give a shit about black property, like those that were bombed by the Klan in Birmingham prior to the demonstrations, or black lives, like those that were killed for doing things like trying to exercise their right to vote. 

You think Tahoe has gone to visit the lynching memorial in Montgomery and taken some time to reflect on the value of human life versus the value of property? I doubt it. 

1024px-Memorial_Corridor_at_The_National

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

There seems like there's something that won't be brought up with the roommate based on the hearings. Kavanaugh was pretty explicit that there was something that he mentioned/referenced in the private session that explains the dynamic between his roommates. Wonder what it was, though. 

30 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

McConnell and Pelosi are both extraordinarily good at their jobs.  They know what votes they can get and what they can't.  

This is really it.  Their jobs are about math.  They count votes and it's becoming obvious that McConnell doesn't have the votes on this.

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’m saying that the American people never voted or passed a referendum agreeing to a massive increase in the foreign born population with the resultant ethnic, economic  and linguistic changes that it has wrought. Look what’s happening in Germany and Sweden and the discomfort brought by massive Muslim migration. Let me fill you in on something, all of this shit has helped strain all of these societies. 

"Scares you to death."  /No FB

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

So you brought the meth?

It is OU week!

18 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yes my parents were top notch in their fields, fluent in English and affluent.

I'm sure they're very proud of how you turned out.  You'd think that a guy with affluent parents could borrow money instead of sucking cock, but hey, what do I know?

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I am enjoying seeing Republicans fight back. The transformation of the GOP into a nationalist party is something that I love seeing. I was a Pat Buchanan fan and get yelled at in college when I was taking his campaign materials to my dorm room 20+ years ago. The party has shifted.

You realize R's would ostracize you just because you sucked a dick once.  Are you ok with that?  I mean I think it's ok to poke some fun at you but to actually take away your rights?  I don't know, man. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

The ending to this has been known from the minute he was nominated. With the gop in control not sure why they didn't just take the vote the first day. 

They weren't sure they had the votes and they were able to use this as political capital.  It's having an effect in battleground states.....

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

The ending to this has been known from the minute he was nominated. With the gop in control not sure why they didn't just take the vote the first day. 

McConnell and the White House strategy is to bully the Republicans to vote yes.  

They don’t have the votes but they’ve calculated if forced to a vote the senators will fall in line.

Maybe they will, maybe they won’t but one thing is certain, there will be consequences. 

It’s high stakes chicken and no one wins. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

Because they don't have the votes. They still don't.

I truly hope you're right, but I wouldn't bet a single cent on it. Put aside everything that has happened... in the end every gop senator wants to fill SCOTUS with conservative judges and he more than fits the bill. They want him confirmed and in the end I think that's what happens. 

Well if they don't have the votes or lose the confirmation, they'll do a quick blitz and try to get the RINOs and Red State Dems voted out. Fear could be a powerful motivator if a 2nd vote happens. But I highly doubt he doesn't get voted in. 

Edited by mdmost

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

McConnell and the White House strategy is to bully the Republicans to vote yes.  

They don’t have the votes but they’ve calculated if forced to a vote the senators will fall in line.

Maybe they will, maybe they won’t but one thing is certain, there will be consequences. 

It’s high stakes chicken and no one wins. 

Brett Kavanaugh wins. 

It's really a shame. 

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

I truly hope you're right, but I wouldn't bet a single cent on it. Put aside everything that has happened... in the end every gop senator wants to fill SCOTUS with conservative judges and he more than fits the bill. They want him confirmed and in the end I think that's what happens. 

Probably.

And from the bottom of my left leaning heart, I thank them for it. The electoral blowback is going to be long lasting and eventually lead to a liberal court.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I naively bet the no big. Gonna try to recoup by covering the oct 6 and 7 timing. 

Unfortunately/fortunately, I have settled on the wagering model, known as “The Brisketexan System”.  Basically, whatever he would hypothetically predict will happen is what I bet on.  Only real disappointing result so far was Roy Moore losing.

• Like 3

Just now, David Dennison said:

Probably.

And from the bottom of my left leaning heart, I thank them for it. The electoral blowback is going to be long lasting and eventually lead to a liberal court.

I guess I'm channeling my inner Brisket, but I've heard that before. I just don't have confidence that the blowback happens this November. I do think it will eventually happen but I'm not sure we've reached the breaking point for enough voters. 

There's a lot of people in this country who are "Catholic", but there's very few that claim to be Evangelical but aren't really anything.

Many devout Catholics have a thing for compassion and social justice. If you’d survey nuns, they’d support the legal right to an abortion as they’re working the front lines. Bishops and old priests? Very conservative.

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You realize R's would ostracize you just because you sucked a dick once.  Are you ok with that?  I mean I think it's ok to poke some fun at you but to actually take away your rights?  I don't know, man. 

He took Mark Twain to heart. He wouldn't want to belong to any club that would accept him as a member. Well, the Republicans wouldn't. So that's the team for him. 

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Probably.

What's amusing is democrats had a 10 point national  lead in September. That's now 2 points. Regardless of that you're looking at 15-30 years of a conservative court whether it's  Kavannaugh or some other GOP nominee. I'd prefer a different candidate at this point .

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

What's amusing is democrats had a 10 point national  lead in September. That's now 2 points. Regardless of that you're looking at 15-30 years of a conservative court whether it's  Kavannaugh or some other GOP nominee. I'd prefer a different candidate at this point .

No. That's not what we're looking at. Clarence Thomas will be long gone before we ever get to 15 years.