Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

I disagree, but imma quit Nazi'ing up the CR.  

Has anyone yet mentioned in this thread "Everything Trump touches dies"?  Because it seems like this would be another opportune moment for that.  

Any normal President would have withdrawn the nominee.  Any decent nominee would have withdrawn themselves from consideration for the good of the Court and the Country.  Trump is like a giant anus, a gaping black hole if you will, that sucks in all the shit in the universe, while simultaneously spewing it.  He's like a shit spitting shit magnet.

Oh yeah, also, The Best People.

i could be convinced. i'd like to have the discussion. i may start a thread about it on the daily texan board over lunch.

and your second point is very valid. he's like king midas, except it's shit instead of gold.

20 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

he's a entitled rich kid bully prick. that's it. i cannot imagine what the rest of the SC thinks of this asshole.

I'm guessing the Republicans on the Court like him precisely because he's an entitled rich kid bully prick. 

9 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Has anyone yet mentioned in this thread "Everything Trump touches dies"?  Because it seems like this would be another opportune moment for that.  

Any normal President would have withdrawn the nominee.  Any decent nominee would have withdrawn themselves from consideration for the good of the Court and the Country.  Trump is like a giant anus, a gaping black hole if you will, that sucks in all the shit in the universe, while simultaneously spewing it.  He's like a shit spitting shit magnet.

Wait what?THERE'S AN ETTD THREAD?!

By the way, I think a significant tell on Kavanaugh knowing what he did to Dr. Ford is his reaction to the gang bang allegations, which actually showed the kind of total surprise I would have expected in his response to Dr. Ford had he been telling the truth about what he did to her.   It was like "I didn't sexual assault Dr. Ford.   But I swear I really didn't do that gang bang stuff, that is totally insane, wtf I would never do that!"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Squirtle's just doing damage control of the inevitable Kavanaugh crash.

No, he wants to turn it into a rallying cry if he comes up short.  “The other side will stop at nothing with their underhandness to stop us from Making America Great Again.  They’ll even smear a loyal American.... get out and vote!”

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That's smart. Rile up the base. 

It is their only move.  They know the blue wave is coming regardless of how Kavanaugh plays out and they have to find a way to reduce the damage.  They need to mobilize their voters around some emotionally charged issue because the flag kneelers and tax cuts isn’t going to cut it.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Fun to see Mitch so disgusted by the same dirty system he helped create with the Garland denial. Eat the nice shit sandwich you helped create. 

Only, nothing about the system is being abused by the other side.   The Dems have no power over this nomination.   They have concerns about the nominee and will be voting accordingly, as is their constitutional duty.   The reason that Kavanaugh isn't confirmed yet is purely that he is so sketchy that Mitch doesn't have enough votes from members of his own party.   The shoe will be on the other foot only if Dems take the Senate and don't allow a hearing on a replacement for Ginsburg. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

Only, nothing about the system is being abused by the other side.   The Dems have no power over this nomination.   They have concerns about the nominee and will be voting accordingly, as is their constitutional duty.   The reason that Kavanaugh isn't confirmed yet is purely that he is so sketchy that Mitch doesn't have enough votes from members of his own party.   The shoe will be on the other foot only if Dems take the Senate and don't allow a hearing on a replacement for Ginsburg. 

If the Dems take the Senate they should hold the seat for Merrick Garland and Merrick Garland only. 

41 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm guessing the Republicans on the Court like him precisely because he's an entitled rich kid bully prick. 

Is he really a bully?  I can't recall bullies throwing ice at people.   I think he sounded like an entitled wealthy dipshit incel who couldn't get laid so he became an angry drunk.   This guy makes Ted Cruz seem charming.  

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Fun to see Mitch so disgusted by the same dirty system he helped create with the Garland denial. Eat the nice shit sandwich you helped create. 

Wait until the Democrats take the Senate and then a year from now Clarence Thomas dies or something like that.

8 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

That's why this is so funny.

He can't get his caucus to vote for Brett Kavanaugh so he blames the Democrats. Last time I checked, Democrats can't do a thing to stop Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation.

49 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

very fair point. however, even with the jockeying up at the top, they very nearly pulled off the actual reich. if hitler doesn't get a bug up his ass about the soviets, they may have well have been able to take the fight to the americans and the brits. 

i know conventional wisdom (and axis and allies boardgame) indicate that US involvement in the war led to a foregone conclusion, but i'm not certain of that. we may have well focused our resources on the pacific if it looked like europe was a lost cause. 

Yeah. The Soviets were content to stay put under Molotov Ribbentrop.  If the Germans would have moved the bulk of their warfighting forces to the west, I am not sure that we could have ever gotten a foothold in France, and England wasnt going to last forever defensively without an offensive push. We also didnt really care much about genocide at the time. The idea of being a "global force for good" was after the fact branding.  We would have ended up being a willing trading partner with the Nazis had they actualy gotten the 3rd reich done. 

Assuming the Soviets stayed where they were, the only real wildcard is the Tripartite Pact which would have pulled Germany into a US Japan war after Pearl Harbor anyway. However, the Eastern Poland invasion was planned before the pact, so maybe Germany takes the tripartite pact off the table if they were also planning to leave the Soviets alone. The Soviets were also a wildcard, I guess. They were probably going to invade something while Germany-England and US-Japan were playing the World Cup and World Baseball Classic finals. Maybe they make a run for Canada so they can span the pole. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

That's why this is so funny.

He can't get his caucus to vote for Brett Kavanaugh so he blames the Democrats. Last time I checked, Democrats can't do a thing to stop Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation.

Mitch knows that, of course.  He's great at manipulating his party's useful idiots.  And then we see them come here and parrot the narrative against Dems.    If I were more cynical, I might even think Collins and Flake had McConnell's sign-off in advance.

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You get the sense Senator Turtle knows this is over.

He’s trying to make the most out of his losing hand.  From a partisan political standpoint, it’s what he should be doing.  

“Kavanaugh is the victim of the vicious left wing democrats. Make sure you let them know of your disapproval at the polls in November.”

And the Republican base will eat it up because they’re common clay of the new west.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

42987152_748199115527309_331202138558011

clever, although it would be pretty pretty weird for someone to accuse someone of murdering them....you know, because they're alive.  Super sleuths might figure out pretty quickly that would be a false allegation.  

Just saw on twitter that Feinstein does not want the FBI report to be made public.  Pretty good troll by her.  

Guy from high school was posting lots of stuff on facebook about libtards, and unfairness to Kavanaugh, and some guy named Keith Ellison who I'm supposed to be equally pissed about if I'm a libtard, plus why am I not mad at Diane Fienstein.  I replied "I like beer.  I drink beer."  Diffused the situation.

7 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Pretty wild going onto different partisan boards and reading the comments. We literally live in two different Americas. 

Eh, I think in the modern internet world we just make every political molehill difference into a mountain.  If I see a conservative, all I can really hope for is a few sentences as to why I think Kavanaugh would make bad legal decisions.  There is no point in talking about anything else. 

Edited by tantric superman

Since our standards are so low at this point I say we lock BK in a room with a keg and if 4 hours later he can make a 1 hr Q & A session without groping a female senator, throwing an object at someone, or puking all over the Senate  floor then he can have his SCOTUS appointment 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

Pretty wild going onto different partisan boards and reading the comments. We literally live in two different Americas. 

It's interesting that people consider surly to be a "democrat" partisan board. I'm very anti-trump because he is demonstrably damaging to the US, both foreignly and domestically, and has exhibited a disregard for norms and process. Those opinions are backed up by facts and public information and aren't in the realm of conspiracy theories. 

All that to say, I'm by no means a democrat and I typically don't find myself agreeing with many of their policy implementations. I literally voted for Gary Johnson, but I'm not some reluctant trump sycophant. In a 2-party system there just isn't much recourse other than running to the other side when your typical party goes fucking insane.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I did Nazi this discussion coming.

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Guy from high school was posting lots of stuff on facebook about libtards, and unfairness to Kavanaugh, and some guy named Keith Ellison who I'm supposed to be equally pissed about if I'm a libtard, plus why am I not mad at Diane Fienstein. 

My standard reply to that crap is "Well I will NEVER vote for Ellison OR Feinstein, and I never have!"  Usually goes over their pointy heads.

6 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Since our standards are so low at this point I say we lock BK in a room with a keg and if 4 hours later he can make a 1 hr Q & A session without groping a female senator, throwing an object at someone, or puking all over the Senate  floor then he can have his SCOTUS appointment 

I’d watch that 

14 minutes ago, Caddox said:

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

one that accepts the truth and another that makes their own up?

It's easier to convince yourself that it isn't just a bubble issue, and is an actual quality of content issue when you remember yesterday's study that correlated Trump support with being a 'tard.