It appears Pope Francis is MUCH WORSE than Urban Meyer

Thetexashammer

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/ex-nuncio-accuses-pope-francis-of-failing-to-act-on-mccarricks-abuse

In an extraordinary 11-page written testament, a former apostolic nuncio to the United States has accused several senior prelates of complicity in covering up Archbishop Theodore McCarrick’s allegations of sexual abuse, and has claimed that Pope Francis knew about sanctions imposed on then-Cardinal McCarrick by Pope Benedict XVI but chose to repeal them.

Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, 77, who served as apostolic nuncio in Washington D.C. from 2011 to 2016, said that in the late 2000s, Benedict had “imposed on Cardinal McCarrick sanctions similar to those now imposed on him by Pope Francis” and that Viganò personally told Pope Francis about those sanctions in 2013.

Archbishop Viganò said in his written statement, simultaneously released to the Register and other media, (see full text below) that Pope Francis “continued to cover” for McCarrick and not only did he “not take into account the sanctions that Pope Benedict had imposed on him” but also made McCarrick “his trusted counselor.”  Viganò said that the former archbishop of Washington advised the Pope to appoint a number of bishops in the United States, including Cardinals Blase Cupich of Chicago and Joseph Tobin of Newark. 

Archbishop Viganò, who said his “conscience dictates” that the truth be known as “the corruption has reached the very top of the Church’s hierarchy,” ended his testimony by calling on Pope Francis and all of those implicated in the cover up of Archbishop McCarrick’s abuse to resign.   

I find this difficult to say but I hope he resigns. 

55 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

That's what being a Protestant's all about. That's why it's the church for me. That's why it's the church for anyone who respects the individual and the individual's right to decide for him or herself. When Martin Luther nailed his protest up to the church door in fifteen- seventeen, he may not have realised the full significance of what he was doing, but four hundred years later, thanks to him, my dear, I can wear whatever I want on my John Thomas,... [sniff] ...and, Protestantism doesn't stop at the simple condom! Oh, no! I can wear French Ticklers if I want.

French Ticklers. Black Mambos. Crocodile Ribs. Sheaths that are designed not only to protect, but also to enhance the stimulation of sexual congress

Have I got one? Uh, well, no, but I can go down the road any time I want and walk into Harry's and hold my head up high and say in a loud, steady voice, 'Harry, I want you to sell me a condom. In fact, today, I think I'll have a French Tickler, for I am a Protestant.'

This shit made me laugh. But how did you survive all those years in Mexico with just imported shit from China? 

Bro, you gotta be one of the best posters on this damn site. If we ever meet first few rounds are on me. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

This shit made me laugh. But how did you survive all those years in Mexico with just imported shit from China? 

Bro, you gotta be one of the best posters on this damn site. If we ever meet first few rounds are on me. 

Thanks. But no matter how drunk you get me, I'm not gonna be in that clown video again.

20 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

These accusations should have due process but if true, then Hi ho, Pope’s gotta go.

Not gonna be much wiggle room. When you're a Cardinal stuff is pretty public (re: McCarrick). Francis doesn't get to hire PR people and lawyers - he tells the truth about what he did. He doesn't get to delete his texts or spin his bullshit. There's no commission or long term investigation.

He's fucking over.

I think Pope Alexander VI is still the leader in the clubhouse.  He had a number of illegitimate kids, for all intense and purposes seemed to give his blessing to Spanish slavery in the New World, had a family who murdered a few people, and best of all, continually fucked his own daugther and likely had several kids with her.

Now THAT guy knew how to debauch!

So the Pope is in Ireland right now. Apologizing for the Irish scandals du jour. He's literally spent the day telling people that he's gonna hold guilty parties accountable. Turns out he was one of the people doing to covering up.

Well now he's got the perfect opportunity to demonstrate accountability and a commitment to protecting victims.

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I think Pope Alexander VI is still the leader in the clubhouse.  He had a number of illegitimate kids, for all intense and purposes seemed to give his blessing to Spanish slavery in the New World, had a family who murdered a few people, and best of all, continually fucked his own daugther and likely had several kids with her.

Now THAT guy knew how to debauch!

Intense and purposes? Intensive purposes?  Intents and purposes?  Intensive porpoises? 

Francis is denying it.

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/pope-i-will-not-say-a-single-word-about-allegations-of-mccarrick-cover-up

Benedict is still and alive and kicking. He should be called on to act on this. And I know got damn well what he's going to say. 

Francis must go. Sooner is better. I hope there are people familiar with reality who will explain to him his situation when he returns to the Vatican. 

He's got to resign. I get original sin and how we can't get away from it but you don't invite it into your world and reward it and ask its counsel. You draw a hard line on sin BECAUSE it's evil and it hurts people. 

Turns out that when Francis told America Magazine he was "a sinner", he was right. How right he was. Just lacking in basic morality. 

He's gonna fight it because he's a selfish prick but he's going to resign. I'll have more later but I am very angry.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Francis is denying it.

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/pope-i-will-not-say-a-single-word-about-allegations-of-mccarrick-cover-up

Benedict is still and alive and kicking. He should be called on to act on this. And I know got damn well what he's going to say. 

Francis must go. Sooner is better. I hope there are people familiar with reality who will explain to him his situation when he returns to the Vatican. 

He's got to resign. I get original sin and how we can't get away from it but you don't invite it into your world and reward it and ask its counsel. You draw a hard line on sin BECAUSE it's evil and it hurts people. 

Turns out that when Francis told America Magazine he was "a sinner", he was right. How right he was. Just lacking in basic morality. 

He's gonna fight it because he's a selfish prick but he's going to resign. I'll have more later but I am very angry.

The pope is chosen by God, which apparently is a process resembling March Madness. Then he travels the world in his silly hat and bulletproof glass Pope-mobile as insurance for his divinity. Then he claims that God speaks directly to him on whether or not to revise church canon as the political and social climate changes. All the while, the Catholic Church rakes in billions of tax-free dollars annually to pay for a budget that isn't publicized to hold them accountable.

But, this is your breaking point?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The local Bishop released a statement earlier today that basically threw the Pope under the bus, so there are clearly those in the church who find this concerning. 

Well a lot of mainstream Catholic leaders (especially in the USA) don't like Francis, because he doesn't properly condemn gays and doesn't sufficiently support the conservative political party.  So it wouldn't surprise me if they are lying or embellishing to force him out.  It also wouldn't surprise me if Francis is guilty as fuck.  They're all gross.  I was raised catholic and left several years ago for several reasons, this being one of them.

I would expect this shit to start getting louder surrounding him, he denies knowing anything, but the cardinals force him out. They then take his statue down to the cries and dismay of his ardent supporters (remember, they call him Papa or just Pa).  The pain of all this will cause him to die very soon, and the organization will start settling lawsuits for millions.  After a couple of years, and a short term interum boss, the church will be back strong and the statue of Pa will be put back in place.

• Like 1

I don't really understand the full sequence of events here. Do I have this all pretty much right?

1. senior leaders in the church become aware that McCarrick is a pedophile no later than the early-2000s (while JP2 is pope)
  2. Benedict is told several years later and the official church response basically amounts to "hey McCarrick stay out of sight and away from kids" (which Vigano appears to be OK with?)
  3. Francis becomes pope and rescinds even that token "punishment" even though Vigano (and possibly Benedict?) warned him about McCarrick
  4. McCarrick gets outed by the press, Francis reinstates the "punishment", then McCarrick resigns altogether shortly afterwards

Honestly, if I have the basics right, this looks pretty bad for the whole church, not just Francis. I know they strongly prefer to handle stuff in-house, but "dude, stop OK?" is not an appropriate punishment for multiple allegations of abuse.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I don't really understand the full sequence of events here. Do I have this all pretty much right?

1. senior leaders in the church become aware that McCarrick is a pedophile no later than the early-2000s (while JP2 is pope)
  2. Benedict is told several years later and the official church response basically amounts to "hey McCarrick stay out of sight and away from kids" (which Vigano appears to be OK with?)
  3. Francis becomes pope and rescinds even that token "punishment" even though Vigano (and possibly Benedict?) warned him about McCarrick
  4. McCarrick gets outed by the press, Francis reinstates the "punishment", then McCarrick resigns altogether shortly afterwards

Honestly, if I have the basics right, this looks pretty bad for the whole church, not just Francis. I know they strongly prefer to handle stuff in-house, but "dude, stop OK?" is not an appropriate punishment for multiple allegations of abuse.

Can you imagine the mass exodus of priests from the Catholic Church of they started actually prosecuting the child diddlers.  There'd be no one left to collect the collection plate money every Sunday.

35 minutes ago, Whitman said:

I would expect this shit to start getting louder surrounding him, he denies knowing anything, but the cardinals force him out. They then take his statue down to the cries and dismay of his ardent supporters (remember, they call him Papa or just Pa).  The pain of all this will cause him to die very soon, and the organization will start settling lawsuits for millions.  After a couple of years, and a short term interum boss, the church will be back strong and the statue of Pa will be put back in place.

Ha!

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

Keep in mind that Vigano was the guy who marched Kim Davis into a meeting with Papa Frank, and was forced from his post 6 months later because of it. 

The Vatican undoubtedly has to get their shit together, but this claim has some credibility problems. 

Yep. This is Church politics. The author of that letter is a conservative and has an ax to grind with the Vatican.

Pope Francis might step down some day, but it won't be because of this letter.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:32 PM, Thetexashammer said:

Not gonna be much wiggle room. When you're a Cardinal stuff is pretty public (re: McCarrick). Francis doesn't get to hire PR people and lawyers - he tells the truth about what he did. He doesn't get to delete his texts or spin his bullshit. There's no commission or long term investigation.

He's fucking over.

Ummmm, the Vatican does all of that stuff. They have PR people, lawyers, spin, all the above.

This is politics.

51 minutes ago, tokamak said:

That's not the sequence of events.

1. No later than the early 2000s, senior church leaders became aware of what many American leaders already knew via rumors, that McCarrick was molesting adult seminarians.

2. This finally gets communicated to Pope Benedict around 2009, at which point McCarrick is kicked out of the seminary where he was living and forbidden from lecturing, traveling, and publicly celebrating mass. Except for having to find a new place to live and not celebrating mass in public, McCarrick ignores most of this.

3. After Bergolio is elected Pope Francis, his ally McCarrick ignores any and all restrictions. At this point, it is not clear if Pope Francis lifted the restrictions or they just ignored them. Given the Pope's documented autocratic ruling style, it is likely nothing was formally rescinded.

4. In 2018, there is a credible allegation that McCarrick molested a minor decades ago. Pope Francis publicly re-imposes Benedict's punishments and then strips McCarrick of his red hat, (he's no longer a cardinal).

5. Immediately after McCarrick's punishment, priests, former seminarians, and others launched a Catholic #MeToo movement aimed at the bishops and others in power who permitted the molestation of seminarians.

6. Then the Pennsylvania grand jury report came out. Some of Pope Francis' closest allies, like Cardinal Donald Wuerl of D.C. were implicated in the cover-up to an extent previously unknown.

7. Vigano's letter, while definitely representing traditionalists, probably was encouraged by a number of progressive prelates, like Cardinal Dolan of NYC, who have buyer's remorse with Pope Francis and fear the loss of power an actual schism would bring. And there is a de facto schism that has nothing to do with the abuse scandals.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Whitman said:

Will the statue have a fig leaf or a penis?