Jacksonville Madden Shooting

SmokeyTheBear

David Katz Identified As Jacksonville Shooting Suspect, Report Claims He Opened Fire After Losing Game

https://www.inquisitr.com/5045086/david-katz-identified-as-jacksonville-shooting-suspect/

David Katz has reportedly been identified as the gunman who opened fire during a Madden NFL 19 video game tournament in Jacksonville, leaving four dead, including the suspect.4Rick Levanthal of Fox News reported that sources named David Katz was the Jacksonville shooting suspect.

Rick Levanthal of Fox News reported that sources named David Katz was the Jacksonville shooting suspect. Police had not yet officially confirmed the suspect’s identity.

The shooting took place at a video game tournament for Madden NFL 19 at The Jacksonville Landing, a popular entertainment complex in the Florida city. The event was being held inside the complex at the GLHF Game Bar in Chicago Pizza. The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Department confirmed that suspect identified as David Katz was dead at the scene, and they initially searched whether there were any other shooters before reporting that the suspect had acted alone. He reportedly took his own life.

The Los Angeles Times reported that the suspect was competing in the Madden NFL 19 tournament and had lost a match.

“The shooter was a gamer who was competing in the tournament and lost, according to Steven ‘Steveyj’ Javaruski, one of the competitors,” the report noted. “The shooter ‘targeted a few people; and shot at least five victims before killing himself, Javaruski told The Times in a direct message on Twitter.”

Javaruski said that he saw the suspect kill two or three people. Eyewitnesses at the tournament reported on Twitter that David Katz had just lost a match before the shooting begun.

According to the event’s Facebook page, it was a $5,000 tournament where the winner could qualify for a national tournament sponsored by Electronic Arts, the company that makes the Madden NFL series. EA Sports posted a statement after the shooting saying they were working with local authorities.

“We are aware of an incident at a sanctioned Madden Championship Series competition in Jacksonville. We are working with authorities to gather facts at this stage.”

Prior to Sunday’s mass shooting in Jacksonville, a number of professional gamers had complained about a lack of security at events, which were often crowded and chaotic. Just one day before the mass shooting, video showed an argument at the Maddenevent that nearly turned violent, with loud shouts and arguing.

xYG1WUhlAbGd_6xs?format=jpg&name=medium

Jacksonville shooter David "Bread" Katz
"He's not hear to make friends"

Congrats to David Katz, the Madden 17 Bills Championship winner!

Thanks for following along, Bills fans. http://bufbills.co/kblxf9 

Sunday’s shooting was also captured on livestream video. It did not capture the actual shooting itself, but did have audio of the moment that gunshots rang out. The video can be seen here, but be warned that it may be disturbing for some viewers.

Reports indicated that Jacksonville shooting suspect David Katz was a regular on the Madden NFL competitive tournament series, and he won a 2017 tournament sponsored by the Buffalo Bills.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

You’d think laws against murder would be enough.

You could think that but you'd be wrong.  Tougher gun control laws are the answer.  Background checks.  Limits on magazines.  No assault rifles. 

All you have to do is look at the countries that allow gun ownership but don't have runaway shootings and the answer is pretty simple.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This story is so sad.  My heart goes out to the victims families.  

I guess we can ascribe the motive of this mass shooter as revenge and/or ego.

Very disturbing.

Or, possibly, he  just can't deal with not getting what he wants / losing when his life is seemingly built on the solid rock of a video game.  Who knows?

12 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

You could think that but you'd be wrong.  Tougher gun control laws are the answer.  Background checks.  Limits on magazines.  No assault rifles. 

All you have to do is look at the countries that allow gun ownership but don't have runaway shootings and the answer is pretty simple.

You’re right, it so fucking simple! I’m glad you figured it out.

Ask Mexico about their strict gun laws.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

You’re right, it so fucking simple! I’m glad you figured it out.

Ask Mexico about their strict gun laws.

It is simple.

Since you seem to know a lot about Mexico's gun laws, what exactly are they?  Question: does Mexico enforce their gun laws?

5 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Or, possibly, he  just can't deal with not getting what he wants / losing when his life is seemingly built on the solid rock of a video game.  Who knows?

Well yeah.

Seems like we have a lot of mass shooters and instead of looking at what we can do with the guns, maybe take a closer look at why people do mass shootings?

Mass shooters, bombers, terrorists, criminals are usually motivated by some combination of these five things: compromised, revenge, ideology, money, or ego. 

And yes, most of them are detached from reality.

I’m middle of the road on gun laws, but this is a unique situation where both sides are wrong. Nobody reasonably expects complete prohibition (or thinks it would work) and the low hanging fruit that feels good like assault rifle and magazine bans obviously don’t apply here.

TL/DR: Bad dudes are hard to stop, and we’re probably fucked.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

First tell us how that is remotely related to this topic...

If you don’t see how a multinational multi billion dollar enterprise built on power, enforcement of power, and corruption of laws circumvents any attempt at gun laws in a normal society, then I don’t know what to tell you...

edit: oh wait you mean related to Jacksonville? Yeah ok probably better for another thread. To stay on topic, fuck the shooter. Sad loss of life for no reason over entertainment. 

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Because am idiot asking about Mexico's gun laws is really relevant as well

If you're talking to me you should know already that what happened today is already in the past.  It can't be changed.  So after we get past the shock and outrage portion, the next thing we ALWAYS turn to is, "how can it be stopped?" 

I replied to Dagger Horn's remark about Mexico's gun laws, none of which I think is relevant. But he asked. Try to keep up.

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Ok, I understand background checks, I understand mag caps. I still don’t understand the assault rifle thing. If it’s ammunition related, address the ammunition. But to me, an AR-15 with a 15 round mag and a glock with a 15 round mag are the same thing, if they’re shooting the same ammo.  Maybe assault rifles are easier to mod into full auto?  The pistol is the one that’s easy to conceal. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok, I understand background checks, I understand mag caps. I still don’t understand the assault rifle thing. If it’s ammunition related, address the ammunition. But to me, an AR-15 with a 15 round mag and a glock with a 15 round mag are the same thing, if they’re shooting the same ammo.  Maybe assault rifles are easier to mod into full auto?  The pistol is the one that’s easy to conceal. 

Assault rifles are the low-hanging fruit that's easy to go after because they look scary and like stuff the military carries.

The overwhelming majority of shootings aren't mass shootings.  The overwhelming majority of people get shot with handguns, not rifles of any kind.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bullneck said:

So if the perp had a legally purchased handgun, none of your suggestions affect anything except other people's liberty.

Great post.  We have to do SOMETHING, right?

"The shooter used one handgun, which police are currently investigating with the help of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. It was not immediately known if the handgun was purchased legally or registered to Katz."

Katz was 24.

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

So if the perp had a legally purchased handgun, none of your suggestions affect anything except other people's liberty.

Let's say people keep dying on one stretch of highway.  Every police report says it's excessive speed.  There is an accident -- the latest one -- but it doesn't involve excessive speed. It doesn't matter that only the last death was caused by something else than excessive speed, the speed limit signs should be lowered.   Seems reasonable, right?

Now replace "speed" with "guns."  Suddenly it's not reasonable anymore!

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

Great post.  We have to do SOMETHING, right?

More of the same gets you more of the same.

Let me ask you a question:  How many people would have to die before you say, you know, maybe Bullneck is right?  Eventually we'll hit your number.   

Edited by Bullneck

4 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Assault rifles are the low-hanging fruit that's easy to go after because they look scary and like stuff the military carries.

The overwhelming majority of shootings aren't mass shootings.  The overwhelming majority of people get shot with handguns, not rifles of any kind.

So we should do nothing to stop mass shootings with assault rifles?  

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Let's say people keep dying on one stretch of highway.  Every police report says it's excessive speed.  There is an accident -- the latest one -- but it doesn't involve excessive speed. It doesn't matter that only the last death was caused by something else than excessive speed, the speed limit signs should be lowered.   Seems reasonable, right?

Now replace "speed" with "guns."  Suddenly it's not reasonable anymore!

Patrol the road more and make the fines as extreme as the crime necessitates, but we aren't taking people's cars away, right?

I am in support of extreme legislation towards CRIMES committed with guns.  That does not include simple possession.