Tell me about meat slicers

oSuJeff97

So I think I decided I want to start making my own deli meats (largely smoked turkey breast) instead of buying the highly processed stuff at the grocery store.

I have the meat smoking portion covered in spades.

But I need to know about meat slicers. A preliminary investigation reveals that I can get one on Amazon for ~$150 or so, but I wonder about quality/durability.

I'm sure there are some industrial/professional versions that can be quite expensive. I want a good quality slicer, but ideally I'd like to keep the cost under $500, if possible.

Any experience/thoughts/etc on the matter?

I looked in to this a few years ago when I was making bacon.  The main issue you will run in to is that the cheaper home use ones will not slice really large hunks of meat.  If you want to be able to slice an entire slab of bacon or a whole ham, you have to buy one of the commercial ones.  If that's not an issue, a smaller one should work just fine for you.

Edited by kevwun

Well after debating a bit I just decided to get the $180 one from Amazon.  Yeah I likely won't be able to slice up an entire pork belly but for light home use I think it's going to do the job.

I smoked two whole turkey breasts this weekend and sliced 'em up.  Worked like a charm.

The flavor most definitely had nowhere to hide.

imgur

Edited by oSuJeff97
Moar surface area

• 2 months later...

Berkels are very popular in Buenos Aires, because there were so many imported to there in the early part of last century. I helped a restaurant owner buy one and ship it back to Dallas... that process only took ~18 months from first payment to arrival at DFW Airport. (ENORMOUS pain in the ass with run-arounds from the seller, Argentine customs, and the Argentine banking system.0

The Four Seasons in Buenos Aires now has one in their kitchen that is visible from their restaurant.

• 5 years later...
24 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Here’s what I know about meat slicers-

If you ask them for half a pound, they will always give you two-thirds, look at you innocently and say “It’s a little over. Is that ok?”

All of the time, always. 

deli counter employee of the month doesn't come easy.

• Haha 1