Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No it doesn’t, unless you can simultaneously bring in the new coach. If you don’t have a coach, then you’re dead in the water and no one that’s any good is committing to your school or staying committed. It’s not any better than keeping Herman as it relates to recruiting. 

I said in a different comment that it would be ideal to name the new coach the second week of December. Our last game is December 5th, so the next Monday is the 7th. There's a huge difference between having a guy ready to go on the 7th and firing Herman on the 6th then starting your search. 

See Orlando and Mehringer last year. If we fire Mehringer midseason, name Coleman interim, then either promote him or announce someone else immediately after our last regular season game, do we hold on to Johnston? Maybe, maybe not, but it would've been better than the way we handled it. Plus it keeps the WR happier than having to put up with Mehringer. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

2 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Okay.  Sans being able to put 12 or 13 guys on the field without a penalty, shit out of luck regarding the latter.   Coaching is abysmal and lacks any creativity.    The players don't have the physical attributes to create their own space and get open.     So you add it all up and it's an issue.    And it's not going away.

1 minute ago, FOXHOUND said:

I look at our remaining schedule and I only see one win on paper, Kansas, and I'm not too sure about that considering what happened last season. 

Nobody in the Big 12 looks unbeatable this season and that means this chucklefuck might luck himself into a great finish.  We have some talent and sometimes that talent can overcome really stupid mistakes and awful coaching - they've done it before.

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

Okay.  Sans being able to put 12 or 13 guys on the field without a penalty, shit out of luck regarding the latter.   Coaching is abysmal and lacks any creativity.    The players don't have the physical attributes to create their own space and get open.     So you add it all up and it's an issue.    And it's not going away.

Josh Moore, Jake Smith, and Jordan Whittington absolutely have the physical attributes to get open - its a matter of coaching and schemes.

Jared Wiley should be the only TE playing at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nobody in the Big 12 looks unbeatable this season and that means this chucklefuck might luck himself into a great finish.  We have some talent and sometimes that talent can overcome really stupid mistakes and awful coaching - they've done it before.

Yep. Seem to remember a sugar bowl run that looked a lot like this. I don’t see it this year/ don’t think it would be a good thing long term.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nobody looks unbeatable but every remaining game looks like we will be out coached except maybe Kansas. 

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Maybe one of the reasons I'm hopeful on Urban is it feels like he's been dropping little hints that suggest he'd have interest here. Even just in the past few weeks he is on record saying he thinks Chris Ash was the best coaching upgrade made this off-season and that Texas has recruited well and has a strong roster but coaches are failing at development. Both of those comments seem to hint that he sees a ton of opportunity at Texas that is not being managed well.

Then again, I'm probably just reading into this what I want to hear.

he also said leadership would show itself at the cotton bowl . i think they are more than hints at it . 

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yep. Seem to remember a sugar bowl run that looked a lot like this. I don’t see it this year/ don’t think it would be a good thing long term.

That team was soooo much better than this team. Probably because the juniors and seniors weren't Herman's guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Jim McElwain Florida...fired midseason

Lester Miles LSU....fired midseason

Lane Kiffin USC....fired midseason

Randy Edsall Maryland....fired midseason

Fat Charlie Weiss Kansas....fired midseason

Mike Stoops Arizona....fired midseason

Tyrone Whittingham Notre Dame....fired midseason

Tommy Bowden Clemson....fired midseason

And there are tons more...it happens ALL the fucking time

*Leslie Miles

Lester is his wife

Edited by Jimbob
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

We started out 5-1 with double digit wins over USC and TCU as well as beating a top 5 team in the country. 2018 looked nothing like this. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We started out 5-1 with double digit wins over USC and TCU as well as beating a top 5 team in the country. 2018 looked nothing like this. 

Maryland tho. My main point is we could similarly fuck around and win out falsely masking a lot of the shit that we know is there. Doubt it happens though

Edited by Hank_Hill

Josh Moore, Jake Smith, and Jordan Whittington absolutely have the physical attributes to get open - its a matter of coaching and schemes.
Imagine going 5 wide with Whittington, Moore, Smith, Eagles, and Schooler. Whittington can sub back to rb if needed, since he knows the position, or you could trade in Robinson and have him play rb or flex out where he's a reasonably good pass catcher. Sam can rush as needed, into lighter boxes thanks to the spread.

I'm sure the main argument against this pass first approach is that our oline is swiss cheese, but how much have the extra blocking surfaces really helped with that?

Also, is there a reason we hate trying to use screens, flushes, or misdirection to slow down the rush? They seem like such obvious solutions to our oline problems and yet we never really try them.

Guess they  have to weigh if they’re going to lose more money from the pandemic + paying TH to gtfo or if they’ll lose more in the long run to a continued shitty on field product causing boosters to say lol fuck this and a completely tanked two years of recruiting by not firing him sooner. I’m leaning towards the latter.

edit: this is all assuming we have an Urban level hire already lined up before firing him, which I doubt.
You have to spend money to make money. Keeping Herman is ultimately going to cost the department money. Merchandise sales probably go the roof with a splash hire.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Whittington can sub back to rb if needed, since he knows the position

Lol. What makes you think these assclowns would ever let Whittington play RB? 

I mean it was just another indictment of our coaching staff watching J Whitt play on Saturday and wondering "why the fuck would you not just hand this guy the ball?"

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Imagine going 5 wide with Whittington, Moore, Smith, Eagles, and Schooler. Whittington can sub back to rb if needed, since he knows the position, or you could trade in Robinson and have him play rb or flex out where he's a reasonably good pass catcher. Sam can rush as needed, into lighter boxes thanks to the spread.

I'm sure the main argument against this pass first approach is that our oline is swiss cheese, but how much have the extra blocking surfaces really helped with that?

Also, is there a reason we hate trying to use screens, flushes, or misdirection to slow down the rush? They seem like such obvious solutions to our oline problems and yet we never really try them.

Those screens would probably just result in Okafor or Angilau getting flagged for ineligible man downfield, and misdirection would be flagged for holding on the OL.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Smith had an absolutely disgusting release to get open on that play where he dropped the easy catch against TCU. DB was lost. If Smith was better at actually catching he’d be a weapon.

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Maryland tho

Four weeks in to 2018, we lost to Maryland, played Tulsa close, beat USC by 23, then beat TCU by 15. We were ranked 18 and things were trending up with us having stopped TCU's win streak and knowing that wins against Kansas State and OU in the next two weeks would put us on track for the conference championship and more. Sam was emerging as a great QB and the offense's identity was forming around physicality, LJH, and a good enough run game. The team was together. Even after Maryland and Tulsa there weren't hints of clashes like we've had since October last year. 

This year is nothing like 2018.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

We are in the middle of a pandemic where we are projected to lose $150 million. We have to pay Herman no matter what. What would be the upside of firing him mid-season? Our Offense is going to learn a new system on the fly and challenge for the conference? Even the best coach would struggle with mere days, not weeks, to install a completely new system. This isn’t the NFL where real $ is on the line and you fire a coach for going winless. We as fans are dumb enough to financially support it and make sure of that. When you look at the other side of the coin, Herman is 2 plays away from possibly being 4-0, as crazy as that sounds. We aren’t getting our shit pushed in. We find embarrassment in other areas.

We are playing like ass most of the game and then realize its the 4th quarter and we better put in the work to make it close or eek out a win. Coaching Failure. 

I mean it was just another indictment of our coaching staff watching J Whitt play on Saturday and wondering "why the fuck would you not just hand this guy the ball?"

Because instead we can try for a low percentage 40 yard pass to Robinson on 3rd and 1 at a critical moment in the game, obviously.
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

for the last decade, sans a couple of players, we are slow everywhere. the complete and utter failure on the OL for 10 years magnifies this. Herman was supposed the fix the speed thing but he didn't an here we are.  Bijan Robinson made one cut to make a guy miss last game and everyone in the stadium oooh'd and aaah'd like it was something they'd never seen before.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Great news Coach Herman!  The Baylor game has been scheduled for 2:30p.  I know how those 11:00a kick-offs have been scaring you to death.  

He actually did say some shit about how 11:00a kickoffs favor road teams somehow.  I forget the bullshit excuse he was serious, said it between TCU and OU games, even though we are also technically a road team at OU. Anyway, I'm sure the 2:30p kickoff will favor Baylor somehow, at DKR, because of that long commute from Waco where they can get focused.  I dunno.  This guy is a bigger excuse machine than Mack Brown.  At least Mack did it with some charisma and empathy.  We knew he was full of shit, but he pretended not to be a complete and total asshole about it (until the last couple seasons).  Herman went to full on dicknose mode after his first game here.  

Thank you for using the term “dicknose”.  I haven’t seen anyone use the totally appropriate and all inclusive term in quite some time.  I was feeling ancient.  

You are now my all time favorite poster.....with Therm and the Horns current state of affairs, I now look to Surly for my weekend warriors....

Edited by Bluemoon3287
Spell check

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So pissed.  Fucking called it Friday.  MENSA is that chuckle-fuck from Princess Bride over analyzing every damn thing....then utterly baffled when shit goes tits up?  I truly think he thinks he knows what is wrong and how to fix it.....and when it falls apart...again.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Bijan Robinson made one cut to make a guy miss last game and everyone in the stadium oooh'd and aaah'd like it was something they'd never seen before.

Only because Tom hasn't had time to run him into the ground in practice and ruin him. 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

for the last decade, sans a couple of players, we are slow everywhere. the complete and utter failure on the OL for 10 years magnifies this. Herman was supposed the fix the speed thing but he didn't an here we are.  Bijan Robinson made one cut to make a guy miss last game and everyone in the stadium oooh'd and aaah'd like it was something they'd never seen before.

The OU cover guys are terrible.   The last athletic back unit they've had in years.      No reason we shouldn't have owned them, with schemes or talent.   If the schemes are crap feels like real talent and athleticism would take over.   Again, their DBs are that bad. 

Just now, RGBIII said:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/9/9/21429882/jake-smith-hamstring-injury-texas-longhorns-utep

FWIW, but between the taking all the texas shit off his instagram and a convenient hamstring injury...

He's not hurt.  He's bailing and we all know why.  Why risk injury in a game you give zero fucks about.  

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

The OU cover guys are terrible.   The last athletic back unit they've had in years.      No reason we shouldn't have owned them, with schemes or talent.   If the schemes are crap feels like real talent and athleticism would take over.   Again, their DBs are that bad. 

Teams have figured out if you press at all our receivers quit and then Sam panics. Watch for it the rest of the year. The only time we could move the ball through the air was when OU went full prevent zone in the 4th. And even then most of those completions were to the uncovered back or tight end checkdown pass. 

Edited by UTEX_ME

They were also subbing in inexperienced guys in favor of trying to get more height against our receivers.

The price you should make them pay for that is confusing their inexperience to create mistakes. Instead, we did nothing to make them pay for it, ran simple routes right at them, and allowed their height to offset the advantage we were hoping to create.

I imagine both Grinch and Riley were shocked how much our strategy just played right into rewarding the risk they took.

• Hook 'Em 1

The biggest concern right now is the team quits mid season.  These players know they (mostly) work their asses off, and they have to be pissed that Herman is wasting their careers.  You fire him mid season and it could be like a weight off their shoulders.  Everyone would know there was going to be a new coach so less uncertainty.  Imagine if they won 5 out of 6 without Herman to finish the year, there would be a lot more chance to keep a core of good players and recruits onboard.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Yesh said:

The biggest concern right now is the team quits mid season.  These players know they (mostly) work their asses off, and they have to be pissed that Herman is wasting their careers.  You fire him mid season and it could be like a weight off their shoulders.  Everyone would know there was going to be a new coach so less uncertainty.  Imagine if they won 5 out of 6 without Herman to finish the year, there would be a lot more chance to keep a core of good players and recruits onboard.

Imagine if we win 5 out of 6 with Herman with his spin the wheel type coaching and it comes up wins... 7-3. Do we fire him? 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas