Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Tom only has 3 losses in his last 4 years by more than 9 points

the rest of the season will be meh, but hes done in january for sure. No fucking way hes back for 2021... especially if we go 6-4 and lose our bowl game

If history has taught us anything, Herman doesn't lose bowl games. 4-0, all as close to if not double digit underdogs.

You fire him today. There is no need to see him coach anymore, he's not winning ever winning a Big 12 championship at Texas.

58 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Yeah.  We really can't compare the current Texas situation to what Urban walked into at Ohio State.  Tressel had 5 Top-5 finishes in his last 6 seasons.  Texas has done that once in its history.

The situation at Florida was more akin to Texas than OSU. I think we’d all settle for a MNC in year two. The greater point being that this program isn’t where Strong left it, and Irban should be able to step in and have it rolling relatively quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Every coach on our schedule is better than herman co. They all will coach circles around him and we know it.  its obvious we can't even out athlete anyone anymore because we call plays like 3rd and short throw an 80 yard bomb.  i'll be curious to see when the rest of the team quits

Though we've thankfully had a decent go of it with regard to injuries/weather/refs...I mean no 'curse' factors seemed to have doom us through the first four games.  

But think about how strange it is that 7-3 a few weeks ago would have sounded normal, even a bit disappointing.  And now, with this coaching staff, it seems like a complete fantasy. 

5 minutes ago, Xian said:

We have enough talent to play for and win the big 12 next year. 

if we do that then there is a good chance we are in the playoff. 

ehhhhh. Our roster takes a dip next season and most of the big 12 will probably improve. This was the year to get it done so that we could plug some holes with the next two recruiting classes. That isn't looking likely. 

Has the ship sailed on Nicholas Saban?
Not sure if serious, but...

If I remember right, he had some serious staff turnover to work through and also some investment issues we were committing to make good.

Both of those are now resolved for him and we're a much bigger clusterfuck than we were then. Really no reason for him to make that jump.

I have no idea if any of the above is at all true or pure 9.95 fiction, but I believe that was the story at the time.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t think anyone could imagine that. 

Well we were 2-2 in 2013 when Mack's back was against the wall and killin himself in Florida recruiting, we all knew he was gone and he went on that run. Plus its 2020 so you never know. Players seem to hate Herman from all I can tell so probably not.

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

Well we were 2-2 in 2013 when Mack's back was against the wall and killin himself in Florida recruiting, we all knew he was gone and he went on that run. Plus its 2020 so you never know. Players seem to hate Herman from all I can tell so probably not.

Mack brown is a much much better coach than Herman 

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Not sure if serious, but...

If I remember right, he had some serious staff turnover to work through and also some investment issues we were committing to make good.

Both of those are now resolved for him and we're a much bigger clusterfuck than we were then. Really no reason for him to make that jump.

I have no idea if any of the above is at all true or pure 9.95 fiction, but I believe that was the story at the time.

over your head joke GIF

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

IMHO, the BMDs are lucky to get a say in the coaching process, after Herman being here shows how much they can screw this up.

We pay CDC and others to run the athletic department. Either they do that or they turn over that job to the BMDs in return for the big checks. And if the BMDs are going to put so many strings on their checks, then yes, CDC should be telling them "Thanks, but no thanks."

Our team stinks, if the BMDs want to fix that they get to turn over a check that says "Fire Tom Herman" on the memo line, anything beyond that is a bridge too far.

What I was trying to point out is that if you are a donor, you should absolutely have strings attached. In the same sense that "good fences make good neighbors". If you want to donate and having Herman fired is what you want or having a particular coach hired is high on your list, you should absolutely have at least a M.O.U. 

If you donated without an understanding and they used the money to give Herman an extension, you would be mad (and rightfully so) and unlikely to donate again (something they depend on, believe me.) 

4 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Was this 'encouraged' after the photo of Sam made the rounds our before the game? If before the game, ok cool Tom we saw how that worked out. And also this is lowkey putting 'blame' or 'shame' on the players and that's shitty af. 

Edited by UTEX_ME

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This just seems a like a shit-load of wishcasting at this point.   I can't see any way, short of a Charlie Strong type season finish, that they don't find some reason to let Tom hang around for another season.  Thats just the way shit works here. 

Yes and no. Faculty and staff within the athletic department haven't been notified of any imminent changes. Nothing has happened so far and I wouldn't expect anything different. As 6th Street said, we most likely won't do anything until a head coach has been found. The only way to do this mid-season is to have a replacement already in place. And personally, I think we would go the interim head coach route even when a replacement is found. If Urban came in and didn't improve things immediately, it would hurt his future success. It is much better to hire now, fire now, and put in place an interim head coach that Urban (or whoever) would like to keep. And then have the new head coach start field coaching after the season. However, it would be nice if he could talk to recruits and their coaches and inner circles way before then.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yes and no. Faculty and staff within the athletic department haven't been notified of any imminent changes. Nothing has happened so far and I wouldn't expect anything different. As 6th Street said, we most likely won't do anything until a head coach has been found. The only way to do this mid-season is to have a replacement already in place. And personally, I think we would go the interim head coach route even when a replacement is found. If Urban came in and didn't improve things immediately, it would hurt his future success. It is much better to hire now, fire now, and put in place an interim head coach that Urban (or whoever) would like to keep. And then have the new head coach start field coaching after the season. However, it would be nice if he could talk to recruits and their coaches and inner circles way before then.

Hell the name Urban Meyer alone will help with recruiting, I am sure Ash couldnt do worse than Herman (and yes I know him at Rutgers..we are here at this point) and him being able to say, hey Urban is coming  is better than keeping a lame duck for no reason

• Hook 'Em 1

Time to play the race card. How the hell do you keep TH if he loses 5 games, but you let CS go after a terrible year. I know CS record was worse than Tom's, but I don't think Charlie ever had a year with such high expectations. This is one of the most disappointing years I can remember. The others were Bama championship game, Georgia Cotton Bowl, and Notre Dame Cotton Bowl when Earl was playing. Different kind of disappointment, this season is absolutely  inexcusable. 

2 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Time to play the race card. How the hell do you keep TH if he loses 5 games, but you let CS go after a terrible year. I know CS record was worse than Tom's, but I don't think Charlie ever had a year with such high expectations. This is one of the most disappointing years I can remember. The others were Bama championship game, Georgia Cotton Bowl, and Notre Dame Cotton Bowl when Earl was playing. Different kind of disappointment, this season is absolutely  inexcusable. 

Well, first off, Kansas. Really all you need there. But secondly the pandemic makes for a very convenient excuse. Race has nothing to do with it because most people in the department seem to hate TH even with his complexion.

Edited by Hank_Hill

2 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Ok, it's so disappointing because Tom has done some things well enough that we actually compete in every game. There games in the Strong era where I wasn't sure we could score a touchdown. There were games in the Strong era that were lost in the first quarter.

Think about that.

7 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Call me when Tom's team fucks up a coin toss. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

In the event that happens, Urban would come in and prioritize recruiting and helping with football operations. He would have nothing to do with actual coaching or implementing his system until he has a full off-season to get everyone on the same page. Would also take the time to familiarize himself with the roster and grade the coaches on staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Charlie never finished above .500 doesn't matter if you're white, black, brown, blue, red, green or yellow. You fucking suck at coaching and should get fired. He's lucky he got three... So take that race card and shove it up your ass. 

Well that doesn't sound too happy there Gilmore. Believe me, I'm not a fan of the race card myself. I'm just desperate for a change and at this point if that's what it takes I'd have no objections if someone like Mr Acho brought it up. 

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Charlie never finished above .500 doesn't matter if you're white, black, brown, blue, red, green or yellow. You fucking suck at coaching and should get fired. He's lucky he got three... So take that race card and shove it up your ass. 

Haha I don’t understand why everything has to be a race issue. Charlie sucked and has a worse record here and definitely never won a sugar bowl but here comes the gaslighting mob making it a race issue. If Charlie won he would be here, if tom would win he wouldn’t get fired(tomorrow preferably). If Texas is racist they never would have hired him. I like your idea too shoving it up anyone’s ass that brings it up but we both know it will happen. 

• Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I would bet you a thousand Ameros that if the order was swapped, and Herman was the previous coach, he would have been canned in year 3, and Charlie would still be here in year 4 (never mind that Charlie's record was abysmally worse than even Mensa Tom's at this point).  I think the main reason that it seems they're "giving Herman all this time" is the pain of getting yet another new coach and regime.  Not that I thought CDC's ill-thought contract extension was all so wunnerful, but I think that's the main reason, period, and racism has nothing to do with the length of Terrible Tom vs. Clueless Charlie.  Not to mention that he did us "un"magic and turned South Florida into the dumpster fire that it currently is.  In any case, I have no doubt that Charlie would have 4 if not 5 years here if he were after Tommy Boy.

In any event, they both suck and haven't done squat except put poo all over what little tatters of Texas' reputation as a football school are left.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Is there some reason Urban couldn't start next week?

I will agree an Urban hire makes sense to clean this mess up.  There is a red flag that shouldn’t be dismissed.  The Coach Saban of today is not the Saban of ten years ago who built the Bama era.  The Coach Urban of today will not be the same Urban of ten years ago.

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Sadly, this is accurate.

Mack Brown must love this. Sitting at number five in the country with a low stress job watching the dumpster fire left in his wake.

I bet he wakes up giggling.

I am not a huge fan of the way Mack left Texas. But, I dont think he even thinks about it. Less stressful job that he has done an amazing job turning around in a short amount of time. I bet his focus is on NC and making it better and hopefully learned from the lesson to get out when he should.  

He aint looking back , he's looking forward. Texas should start doing the same 

Those last two sentences were tough to type, probably because they are so true 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, ruitxn said:

I will agree an Urban hire makes sense to clean this mess up.  There is a red flag that shouldn’t be dismissed.  The Coach Saban of today is not the Saban of ten years ago who built the Bama era.  The Coach Urban of today will not be the same Urban of ten years ago.

One positive is that urban has showed the ability to mold his O to fit current players.  same can’t be said of many other coaches and probably a big reason why he has had such success at every stop. 

I am hopeful that Tom is indeed gone.  Based largely off the reported dissatisfaction that the BMDs had with him last year that "supposedly" almost got him canned at the end of last season.  If those reports were even in the same zip code as the truth I can't see them being any more forgiving for the current shit show that is even worse than it was a year ago.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas