Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

His whole "this loss doesn't mean we still can't win the Big 12" is so fucking straight from Mack it's frightening.  If we hear "scares you to death" it's time for pitchforks and lanterns on the 40 acres.

Prepare for "this loss doesn't mean we can't still make a bowl game" when we're eliminated from the Big 12 title race.

52 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

OK....i don't think Fire Herman yet.

But did he really compare this football team to a character from a book that is big and slow(stupid), keeps accidentally killing small animals, eventually kills a real human woman, and has to be put down?

Was that an actual comparison that was made? Lmao

Not only did he say that, but he practically told us not to believe what we see with our own eyes because he says that we are a better team than last year.

Sounds a lot like the idiot we have running the country right now.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

Yeah, my criticism of him starting Shon over Priest is a low blow (because of Priest's injury), and putting Ricky in at fullback meant that defenses had to face BOTH of those guys at the same time. Plus, he platooned them when healthy, which is how Priest got over 100 yards against Nebraska.

THAT SAID... my criticism of his play-calling is 100% legit.

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Don't get me started on that one game in Lubbock where Texas is backed up inside the 5 to start the game and Mackovic called a slow-developing pitch wide that was blown up for a safety. We got murdered that afternoon IIRC.

I misremembered that. There was no safety. Pretty sure it was the 1994 game, which we lost 33-9. But it was a galactically stupid decision inside our own 5 that helped start the steamroller.

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Don't get me started on that one game in Lubbock where Texas is backed up inside the 5 to start the game and Mackovic called a slow-developing pitch wide that was blown up for a safety. We got murdered that afternoon IIRC.

Didn't that also happen like 8 or 9 years ago in the waning mack years, also against tech, and also for a safety.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

You can criticize Mackovic for a lot of things but none of this. Priest Holmes missed the entire 1995 season due to injury. That was Shon Mitchell's first year at Texas -- a year when he rushed for more than 1,000 yards at 6 yards per carry. Ricky was a true freshman and nearly got to 1000 yards himself. Shea Morenz was the #1 QB recruit in the country and was playing pretty well before fucking up his knee that awful night in Houston in 1994. James Brown played the next week against OU and the rest was history.

Let me clarify this too. I went back and looked. I'm pretty sure Shea initially got hurt in the loss to Colorado when Rashaan Salaam (RIP) rushed for 300 yards in a narrow win in Austin. JB played the next week and beat OU, then Mackovic went back to an obviously-hobbled Morenz in the rain at Rice the following week. We lost and IIRC there was damn near a team revolt on the bus from guys who wanted Brown to play. We went back-and-forth between the two the next few games and Brown took over as #1 QB by the end of the 1994 season.

Mackovic played Shea because he lost his mind after being hit by Tony Brackens in the Colorado game. Once he recovered he put Brown back in on a permanent basis. All this comes straight from Mackovic himself.

That was the most bizarre reason for personnel decisions I have ever heard.

All the same Mackovic did great things for the program and built it back up after all that happened at the end of Akers and then during McWilliams' tenure. But he got fired at the right time.

Edited by Valmy77

Posting from 24/7:

Burton:

”Guys, I was able to touch base with my sources.  I’m told that Herman has assigned the offense to do a book report about ‘essentialism: the disciplined art of doing less’.  The team has been coached so well by the offensive staff that the players are simplying trying their hardest.  This is an issue because we need the team to try less like Maryland.  If this team doesn’t match the minimal effort by Tulsa, the Longhorns may be staring a 0-2 to start the season.  

I’m told that Keaontay Ingram was leading the book report due to his ability to read quickly but Herman decided that Kyle Porter should complete the report because he scored much higher on his reading comprehension section on his SAT.  

I’m told that Collin Johnson has been trying even less in his blocking in hopes of being able to execute the WR screens.

I’m told Herman plans to cater Gatti’s all week.  The players should have no issues with cramping or fatigue on Saturday due to carb loading on pepperoni rolls.”

• Like 6

Since we are bitching about Macovik, how in the hell did we suck so bad in 1997 when we had so many damn offensive weapons?

Never mind, I don’t even want to think about Texas Football until we win a game that we are not supposed to win.  I’ll still be at the games, but shit it’s hard to be excited about our team.

Just now, tbone_ said:

We had exactly one weapon that year. Everyone else on offense was horrible.

The one weapon did run for 1800 on a damn 4-7 team though. Which is legit.

That is true.

The Defense was worse than a disaster. James Brown became a turnover machine and Mackovic just kept on throwing it despite Ricky being unstoppable. It was a bizarre year. But I guess all the years under Mackovic were weird in their own way.

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It wasn't a slow developing  play, just  a shittily blocked pkay.  

Don't watch.

You do know we had a guy named Mackovic as our HC in the 90's, right? Your more than a decade off there on the reference.

That was another shitty Mack

Edited by Spankytoes

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

You do know we had a guy named Mackovic as our HC in the 90's, right? Your more than a decade off there on the reference.

He was referencing this post immediately above his:

13 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Didn't that also happen like 8 or 9 years ago in the waning mack years, also against tech, and also for a safety.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Since we are bitching about Macovik, how in the hell did we suck so bad in 1997 when we had so many damn offensive weapons?

Our defense was putrid and lacked talent (Hampton, Rogers and Jammer were just freshman), and othan Wane McGarity, we didn’t have shit at receiver. If I recall correctly, Kwame Cavil has just been moved to WR from LB so was still green at the position.

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Our defense was putrid and lacked talent (Hampton, Rogers and Jammer were just freshman), and othan Wane McGarity, we didn’t have shit at receiver. If I recall correctly, Kwame Cavil has just been moved to WR from LB so was still green at the position.

Bobby Jack Wright was a disaster as a DC.

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I have about 20 sources saying it was Brackens and I was at the game and saw it happen. So if it wasn't Tony, maybe I have the concussion.

Brackens with an assist to Tre Thomas: https://www.si.com/vault/1994/10/10/132231/college-football

Edited by Beau Vine

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

In 97 pretty much every good player on the team except Ricky was injured at some point, too.  Didn’t Hampton miss the entire season basically?  I want to say McGarity, too.

Plus, we basically quit on Mackovic and were psychologically defeated during and after the 66-3 clusterfuck.  There’s never been a good time to get beat like that, but  this was especially bad because (a) we actually thought we were good coming into that game, (b) nobody really liked Mackovic much anyway so it didn’t take a lot to turn on him, and (c) this was still back when scoring 30 in a game was a lot, so having 66 hung on you seemed like Armageddon.

The team quit that year plain and simple. Mackovic was given a blank check to hire a D-coordinator after DeLoss forced him to fire Darnell. Annoyed, Mackovic gave the job to Bobby Jack Wright. (Ironically, BJW went to work with Stoops and was pretty good for the Sooners at least in the recruiting game.) I've never seen a team get whipped as badly as we were by UCLA that day. Mackovic should've been fired the following day.

BTW, pretty sure it was Tony Brackens who knocked Mackovic the fuck out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/charlie-strong-texas-longhorns-will-never-have-5-loss-season-again-111714%3famp=true

just gonna leave this here. I know the previous coach was the one to say it, but it’s honesty comical that Texas has succeeded in losing MORE than 5 games each season since

• Fuck You 3

43 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Let me clarify this too. I went back and looked. I'm pretty sure Shea initially got hurt in the loss to Colorado when Rashaan Salaam (RIP) rushed for 300 yards in a narrow win in Austin. JB played the next week and beat OU, then Mackovic went back to an obviously-hobbled Morenz in the rain at Rice the following week. We lost and IIRC there was damn near a team revolt on the bus from guys who wanted Brown to play. We went back-and-forth between the two the next few games and Brown took over as #1 QB by the end of the 1994 season.

I thought Shea hurt his knee when he fell down the stairs at the KA house?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

In 97 pretty much every good player on the team except Ricky was injured at some point, too.  Didn’t Hampton miss the entire season basically?  I want to say McGarity, too.

Plus, we basically quit on Mackovic and were psychologically defeated during and after the 66-3 clusterfuck.  There’s never been a good time to get beat like that, but  this was especially bad because (a) we actually thought we were good coming into that game, (b) nobody really liked Mackovic much anyway so it didn’t take a lot to turn on him, and (c) this was still back when scoring 30 in a game was a lot, so having 66 hung on you seemed like Armageddon.

Those Mackovic years,  I would gladly trade what we have on offense now for what we had then.  Those players he had though, man I would love to see guys like that on our roster now.

Herman seems to be following the Mackovic play book in reverse, a decent to good defense and a total dirty diaper on offense.  I think his attitude is also turning too many fans against him with his smug, smarter than you attitude.  Maybe and just maybe, Herman turns this around and rolls off wins against USC and OU.  If we get to 8 wins I can live with that.

8 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Don't criticize Makovic for his O.  It was normally pretty good.  His D was the worst fucking thing ever.  When we fired him I remember joking can we keep.him on as O coord?

Yeah, no shit.  Even when he had Westbrook, Allen, Carter, Thomas, and Brackens, the team defensive stats weren't that great, and RBs had regular career days against us.  If you close your eyes in Memorial Stadium, you can still see Rashaan Salaam running.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yeah, no shit.  Even when he had Westbrook, Allen, Carter, Thomas, and Brackens, the team defensive stats weren't that great, and RBs had regular career days against us.  If you close your eyes in Memorial Stadium, you can still see Rashaan Salaam running.

And don't forget that we gave Curtis Martin's draft stock a nice bump.  That 1994 defense gave up 171 yards per game on the ground.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Good defensive backs and some good linemen from time to time but he trotted out guys like Tyson King and Kyle Richardson at LB. That's why the RB's would go bananas on us with agonizing regularity.

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Fucker told James Brown, whatever he did, DON'T THROW THE BALL.

God knows I hate to interrupt a good rant, but according to all sources, when Mackovic called the play, he told Brown, “Come to run,” i.e. it was a run-pass option, but if you can get the first down with your feet, do it.    

Which is not at all the same as what you’re claiming.  

Brown later claimed he could have run for it, and Minter claimed he would have easily stopped him short   

I recognize Mackovic’s flaws, but at least give him credit for that call, which would be pretty ballsy even in today’s game (going for it on fourth down, clinging to a 3-point lead deep in your own territory).   I cannot think of a call remotely comparable... especially given the stakes.  

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Good defensive backs and some good linemen from time to time but he trotted out guys like Tyson King and Kyle Richardson at LB. That's why the RB's would go bananas on us with agonizing regularity.

Here's a stumper:  Who was the best LB to play for Mackovic at Texas?  Dusty Renfro? 

Edited by South Austin
Because Waldon Ponderer touches himself.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic