Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

37 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

You're on the right track but not looking at the much bigger picture. 

The fact of the matter is that we, yet again, have a HC who's stubborn at making changes, particularly as it relates to the offensive side of the ball. Call it QB competition, personnel WTFs, coaching, play calling, etc. Whatever you want to call it, Tom made it painfully clear before a snap was taken this season that this is his show. Remember? "Fans. [stares into camera] FANS! I'm the one to blame."

Well guess what time it is. 

While the team's performance was nothing to write home about, I do give the coaches credit for changing their approach to playcalling.  Most people here may disagree but here are my thoughts:

QB play: Sam made better decisions. He didn't force anything, looked to pick up yardage with his feet when it was there, and made better throws. He did show lack of field awarenness on the play where he fumbled the ball but I feel like that's correctible. Sam is a fighter and bleeds burnt orange, which we can't say about other QBs. Besides you want to stick with the QB little bit longer to help build his confidence. Neither Colt or Young look like world beaters at this stage of their careers despite having a much better team.

Playcalling: offense called a much better game even though the execution was lacking. I saw a commitment to running with the right personnell. They tried a few long bombs but execution was just not there.

Defense: took a step back considering the strength of the opponent. They were missing a few pieces and i thought Gary Johnson continued to dissapoint. But i think defense will continue to improve and get into a groove by mid season.

We are all hurting because of the opening loss and the team failed to capitalize on the opportunity to build momentum while Aggie had a relatively good showing, However, it's not time yet to panic. We can and should panic if they lose next 2 games, then I will join the mob.

Edited by ShowMeALoss

4 hours ago, fuckyoufuckers said:

First time poster, longtime lurker.  I always feel so much better about myself when we lose after I come to these boards.  Everyone here knows so much about football and running a program, I'm surprised UT didn't start the coaching search here.  Losing sucks, I get it it, but you people are acting like irrational toddlers.  You people aren't smarter than Mensa.  Couldn't tell you how smart he is because getting into Mensa is easy as shit, but I can say you aren't that smart.  Continue to wallow in you misery.  3, 2, 1...  I know what's coming!

Damn Katie, you'd think we lost the game with how fans are reacting.  

Oops, wrong website. 

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

you'll be herman's cdt23. it will be fun. 

Looking forward to your school’s continued rut in football to have some message board “fun” because I support our head coach is pretty sad. I’m looking forward to watching a win on Saturday 

53 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

You're on the right track but not looking at the much bigger picture. 

The fact of the matter is that we, yet again, have a HC who's stubborn at making changes, particularly as it relates to the offensive side of the ball. Call it QB competition, personnel WTFs, coaching, play calling, etc. Whatever you want to call it, Tom made it painfully clear before a snap was taken this season that this is his show. Remember? "Fans. [stares into camera] FANS! I'm the one to blame."

Well guess what time it is. 

We should've seen the red flag that Herman is an offensive coach, who's offenses never looked elite at UH. Maybe he just struck gold by hiring Orlando/Naivar/Washington who are the real deal. 

6 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Yeah, we’ve been able to get the top skill players outside of RB but not the top trench guys. That has been “the”recruiting issue for the past 13 years or so. Herman should have gone the Juco route or grad transfer route very early in recruiting esp for d-linemen. I know we missed on a lot but it was too late by the time he made a push.

Virtually the entire DT population of Texas came to Austin 3 years ago.  All the starsies.  Amount still on the roster?

5 hours ago, fuckyoufuckers said:

First time poster, longtime lurker.

That's bullshit.  You had never heard of this place until we became ground zero for the meltdown at 11:18am central time a week ago Saturday.

Here's a summary of your take: "Shut up and stop exposing the truth".

Your time here will be short.

1 hour ago, HuskiesHorns said:

I saw a little bit of the clemson game where Jimbo was being patient, talking and teaching to Mond.

pure speculation on my part, but mensa doesn't seem to ever do that. he just yells at the players, spits in their eggs and then kisses them.

its college ball, they need to be coached up, not down.

well, his excuse for them playing poorly in the second half was because he was too hard on them at halftime. so, you know.

FWIW

In favor of MensaTom not being fired immediately-if-not-sooner (unintentional – 0U sucks)...

First year, with a few Mack guys and the rest Charlie guys, a few of his own. Great record? Naw, but he didn't lose, and he did win a bowl game.

Second year, almost all Charlie guys, a few of his own, and a pretty hot-shit group of freshmen. First game stunk it up and lost. Fire his ass! Second game, stunk it up, but won. Pressers less than impressive. Maybe he's bullshitting errbody, but maybe he's trying to hold onto what little coherence the team still has. Naw, fuck that, fire his ass!

If only we had Saban Saban Saban!

Oh, yeah, Saban – you know, the guy in whose first HC job he took Toledo to 9-2, kinda like MensaTom and UH? Then Nick stepped up and down, went to DC in the pros for a few years, while MensaTom stayed at Toledo – I mean, UH.

Saban fled the pro game and stepped down and up, took HC at Meatchicken State. Where his record was 6-6, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6 and 9-2 – and three bowl games, all of which he lost. (Yes, I know year one was 6-5-1, but in my book a tie is a loss, so fuck you.)

MensaTom had a winning record (no ties, 1-2 in OT games) in year one. And won the bowl game. Year 2, he's 1-1 so far... which is absolutely on par with the Ineffable Saban.

But fuck that! Fire his ass!

Is he an arrogant, peacock-vain douchebag? Why, uh, yes – yes he is. Is he winning games? Well... technically, yes. Is he winning as often and as powerfully as we want? Mmmm... no, not yet.

Well, fuck that! Fire his ass!

Yeah... no.

Right this instant – that is, Sunday after a win over Tulsa that was no better than a lackluster performance, at best – I'm not happy with young MensaTom, as most of you who read these words can agree, charitably. Not just for losing almost half the game, but for how they're lost. He's supposed to be a hot-shit OC, but the O is the major problem with the team. It was the problem last season, too, and he didn't do fuck all to fix it. No, wait – he addressed one of the problems by hiring Hand, as most of you will agree; the OL looks to be much improved already. The BeckWareMeh problem is with us still. Regardless of what you and I think of that (he fucked up, they should have been replaced already), there isn't much he can do about it now. It's not even remotely possible to replace those three in midseason.

What to do?

Let the season play out. If we top out 4-8, or worse, play the Titty-bar card and dump MensaTom – and his crew, unless you think Orlando has HC chops. If we head that way from here, relieve him, make Orlando Interim HC and let the season play out – but be damned sure MensaTom is done before going that far.

All in all, he's essentially right in step with Saban, at this point. I'm pissed as hell at the little fucker, and I feel like slapping the shit out of him and screaming GROW THE FUCK UP!

He's young, he's not stupid. He's a little too eager to buy into his own shit. He can get past that – maybe he will, maybe he won't. He's not hard enough, but again, that's something that remains to be seen.

I bought into his shit, mainly because the recruits looked good, the OL coach looked good (still does, at this point), and it sounded like he was having an effect on Offense.

I guess I'm still stuck in the GoodMack years, because I predicted 10-2 +/-2, which is 8-4 to 12-0. That seems laughable now, but maybe something wonderful happens this week and we commence to improve game-by-game. We can still get to 8-4 or better – granted, it sure as hell doesn't seem to dan likely, but...

We're just gonna hafta wait and see. We don't hafta be happy about it.

• Like 1

A few people on here made reference to an interview Herman did while he was still in Houston, so I got curious and searched for it. Holy hell is it embarrassing. While listening to it I was utterly speechless at how incredibly juvenile and petty he comes across. Who talks to sports media this way? Did anyone at all do any due diligence before hiring this clown?

It's 20 minutes long and I promise worth every minute. Don't just read this article, listen to the interview all the way to the end because he closes with a doozy, and like me, you'll be floored that somebody thought it was a good idea to make this titty baby the Head Coach of The University of Texas football team.

I can't believe I was stupid enough to buy all the hype.

https://thebiglead.com/2016/01/06/tom-herman-called-into-houston-radio-to-yell-at-hosts/

10 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Listening to cdc I am more than confident this guy will be the one that will fly out to Clemson at seasons end and convince a guy like dabo to come here. Not having a competent AD in place years ago is why we hired Charlie and Herman and not someone that can handle the pressure of being the head coach at Texas. 

CDC sounded monotone and defeated during the game tonight compared to how upbeat he was on lhn pregame show, of this continues there is no way he won’t make a change at seasons end.

I got the same read from CDC.

He didn't seem happy at all.

9 minutes ago, Otter said:

A few people on here made reference to an interview Herman did while he was still in Houston, so I got curious and searched for it. Holy hell is it embarrassing. While listening to it I was utterly speechless at how incredibly juvenile and petty he comes across. Who talks to sports media this way? Did anyone at all do any due diligence before hiring this clown?

It's 20 minutes long and I promise worth every minute. Don't just read this article, listen to the interview all the way to the end because he closes with a doozy, and like me, you'll be floored that somebody thought it was a good idea to make this titty baby the Head Coach of The University of Texas football team.

https://thebiglead.com/2016/01/06/tom-herman-called-into-houston-radio-to-yell-at-hosts/

Holy shit. This is one thin skinned man. How did this not come up in the search?  When things go badly he is going to spiral out of. control with the media here and it is going to be ugly. 

What a worthless effort to fight over semantics with local media over the wording of a headline. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Holy shit. This is one thin skinned man. How did this not come up in the search?  When things go badly he is going to spiral out of. control with the media here and it is going to be ugly. 

What a worthless effort to fight over semantics with local media over the wording of a headline. 

No shit. Does anyone in Belmont know how to use the Google machine? That interview convinces me that this dude doesn't have the maturity and cojones necessary to run the Texas football program. One day the pressure is going to push him too far, he's going to self-destruct, and it's going to be ugly as hell. Fuck me.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

People were talking about that extensively 18 months ago.

Yep.

Still not sure why he was such a must-have coach. Still don't grasp why his loss to SMU was anything other than a huge red flag.

Edited by Rimbo

Ok. This is NOT new information. This article, and a few more that revealed Potato Tom’s thin skin, were posted on the old board. We ALL knew how he conducted himself as UH HC. Stupid donors and the need to replace Charlie with anyone put us in this hole.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Otter said:

Wow. Bringing out the definition of meet was comical. 

2 minutes ago, ndawg said:

So cringeworthy for him to condescendingly ask the dude's age, only to later pretend it was just a question and not a pointed insult.

His strategy when the two guys very clearly pointed out how stupid his argument was. Start insulting them. Can you imagine what would happen if he started doing that with the Austin media? 

Is this also why Ian Boyd  is going out of his way to spin our offensive Hindenberg as some sort or rare species of success? Because Herman goes after the press? 

3 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Ok. This is NOT new information. This article, and a few more that revealed Potato Tom’s thin skin, were posted on the old board. We ALL knew how he conducted himself as UH HC. Stupid donors and the need to replace Charlie with anyone put us in this hole.

I’m guilty as charged. I wanted Strong gone and was excited to the point where I may have unintentionally overlooked huge red flags. 

You know if Herman was winning that link of the interview would bring the lulllzz and he would be a dick like nick saban is. But when you lose to Maryland twice and barely beat fucking Tulsa and say “guys winning games is really hard ok” then you are just a dick. I’d love for Herman to be the douche bag that wins big games and grabs his nuts and makes fun of aggy but right now he’s just a dick that sucks at coaching.

8 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Potato skins are usually tasty, but Herman's just taste like hype and disappointment. 

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You know if Herman was winning that link of the interview would bring the lulllzz and he would be a dick like nick saban is. But when you lose to Maryland twice and barely beat fucking Tulsa and say “guys winning games is really hard ok” then you are just a dick. I’d love for Herman to be the douche bag that wins big games and grabs his nuts and makes fun of aggy but right now he’s just a dick that sucks at coaching.

Instead we get confirmation that, no matter what, he's gonna die on the hill he's on -- while looking like a petty asshat -- because by god he's made up his mind, and that's that.

Or something like that.  Good grief. 

I look at our next hire like buying a car or house.  I don't want to have to buy a car or house when I have a gun to my head timing wise.  I'll get a better deal if I am patient and evaluate all options and time my purchase right.  We did rushed to hire Strong and again  Herman.  These are our results.  

In that vein, I'd rather keep Herman and force him to fix his staffing problems (or fix them for him), rather than dumping him ala Strong and going after some other scrub because we have to.  CDC can use that time to look for the right person to take over.  If Tom isn't the right guy, it's not like keeping him around another year is any worse that rushing to hire the next coaching sensation and getting fucked again because we rushed and made a poor decision.  At least we'd be getting something (albeit shitty coaching) for the money we would have paid him to sit on his ass or coach FCS.

Hindsight, we might have been better served hanging on to the Mack train for a few more years until the right guy was found.  It's not like we were any worse in the interim.

As an aside, what scares me is that Herman has sidelined Beck and is calling plays himself and we suck this bad.  That means we are in for a longer wilderness journey that any of us really want.

Saban is an asshole the way that folks with obsessive compulsive personalities are assholes. He's hard on people, difficult to please, and rages at imperfections. But he's also self critical -- he's probably harder on himself than he is on his staff and players. Think about it, as much as he's actually won, he's still displeased.

Herman is an asshole the way that narcissists are assholes. He builds a cult of personality around himself (i.e. "mensa"), and attacks anyone who threatens that image. When he's cornered, he'll reach deep in his back of narcissist tricks, like demeaning people.

They couldn't be more different, IMO.

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic