Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, nnm said:

So much wrong in here. BU has fought tooth and nail to keep everything from PH out of the public. Football wasn’t the only place rape was happening and being covered up, but Briles took advantage of the disgusting culture at BU and ran with it. BU has a horrendous culture and it is just a matter of time until the next Briles or Bliss takes advantage of it again and equally or worse things happen. Book it. 
No indication Briles was paid full buyout—something less was negotiated.
The “letter of exoneration” was anything but. It was simply a Sgt. Schultz “I see nothing, I hear nothing.”  It certainly did not “exonerate” Briles. 
Briles is EXACTLY the shitbag everyone knows him to be. Multiple teams have run background checks on him and passed, or fired him. Hell, he even got his lower division HS team in trouble for cheating in only one season. 

Briles was running the program just the way his bosses wanted him to and that went all the way up to the office of university president. I'm not saying he's not scum but he also wasn't a maverick playing by his own rules. He was performing his job as it was expected from him by his employer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Welp. Another shitty day of Longhorn football fandom. Great. 

Yeah.  I haven't stopped caring completely, but I am pretty close.  At least I won't lose my job following this shit show all day.  I have just pretty much quit on the whole thing.

When we have a coach holding a Big 12 trophy over his head, I will be back in on Texas Football.  Not putting much effort in until then.  I may be retired by that point anyway.  Only 20 years away!

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It’s a source off.  Apparently klatt said he thinks 99% chance tom is back

I'm pretty sure Klatt wasn't basing that off of anything other than his belief that Texas should either hire Urban or bring Tom back.  Urban isn't happening so Klatt thinks they should bring Tom back.

• Like 1

Also - the entire IT crew (Eric Nahlin, Bobby Burton, Gerry Hamilton, and Justin Wells) are saying that it is far more likely that someone other than Tom Herman is coaching Texas next season.  Bobby's latest report seemed to indicate that Tom wouldn't be let go until after NSD1 and maybe after the CCG's that will be played on 12/19.  Makes it seem like they'll want to have an opportunity to interview a coach or two who are in the their respective CCG's. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Also - the entire IT crew (Eric Nahlin, Bobby Burton, Gerry Hamilton, and Justin Wells) are saying that it is far more likely that someone other than Tom Herman is coaching Texas next season.  Bobby's latest report seemed to indicate that Tom wouldn't be let go until after NSD1 and maybe after the CCG's that will be played on 12/19.  Makes it seem like they'll want to have an opportunity to interview a coach or two who are in the their respective CCG's. 

IT is going all in.  This may not end well for them

is there any chance at all tom does such a wonderful job coaching these last two games, which will include another bowl win, that he decides the grass is greener somewhere else?  And is there another program dumb enough to hire him at say $5 or $6 million a year?  The advantage to Tom might be he could get a 5 year deal somewhere as opposed to only having what 3 years left here.  Maybe even get a 6 year deal somewhere? 

Fantasy or possibility? 

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

If you are bringing Herman back, it simply makes no sense at this point not to make that public and create some certainty for recruiting. 

This.  They've gone more than a month with no support for Herman while rumors circulated they weRe going after Meyer - now in the week after it came out that the Meyer chase ended with Urban turning down Texas there is still no statement of support from the AD.  I just can't believe there is any way they bring him back.

They're going to fire him on their timeline - which is likely after NSD1 and CCG.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

is there any chance at all tom does such a wonderful job coaching these last two games, which will include another bowl win, that he decides the grass is greener somewhere else?  And is there another program dumb enough to hire him at say $5 or $6 million a year?  The advantage to Tom might be he could get a 5 year deal somewhere as opposed to only having what 3 years left here.  Maybe even get a 6 year deal somewhere? 

Fantasy or possibility? 

Tom isn't coaching the Bowl game.  Assuming they've made the decision to fire him it is in their best interest to give him some time to find another job.  Most everything will be filled by the time bowl games are played.

6 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Fantasy or possibility? 

Anything positive for UT concerning Herman would more likely fall into the "fantasy" column. At least, based on history. 

I just don’t see how you can bring Herman back after effectively neutering him by courting Urban and not publicly supporting Tom. CDC would put his job in jeopardy by keeping Herman another year because if Herman doesn’t survive next year, CDC is probably on the chopping block too. A new coach could prolong his time here, and if a new coach has big-time success CDC looks like a genius. He just had to find a coach that the BMDs can get behind to help find Tom’s buyout. Not someone like Gary Kubiak.

8 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

I just don’t see how you can bring Herman back after effectively neutering him by courting Urban and not publicly supporting Tom. CDC would put his job in jeopardy by keeping Herman another year because if Herman doesn’t survive next year, CDC is probably on the chopping block too. A new coach could prolong his time here, and if a new coach has big-time success CDC looks like a genius. He just had to find a coach that the BMDs can get behind to help find Tom’s buyout. Not someone like Gary Kubiak.

I don’t see how you can buyout a contract for over $25m to bring in another coach that is unproven. Then we’re on the hook for 2 coaches ala Charlie. Might as well get value from your current coach. Herman understands that this is a business. Maybe this lights a fire under his ass to change his ways.

I want him gone, but there’s no one out there, outside of UM, where you can guarantee the value. Paying for the same results with the new guy is a bad plan.

CDC isn’t on any chopping block. That’s wishful thinking from people trying to will a coaching change.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I don’t see how you can buyout a contract for over $25m to bring in another coach that is unproven. Then we’re on the hook for 2 coaches ala Charlie. Might as well get value from your current coach. Herman understands this is a business. Maybe this lights a fire under his ass to change his ways.

I want him gone, but there’s no one out there, outside of UM, where you can guarantee the value. Paying for the same results with the new guy is a bad plan.

It wont be $25m after offsets when they get new jobs. Likely closer to $12-15 million. 

Also, it will be paid out over 3 years. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

18 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It wont be $25m after offsets when they get new jobs. Likely closer to $12-15 million. 

Also, it will be paid out over 3 years. 

This.  Texas has that 'duty to mitigate' clause in their contracts and weren't dumb enough to write it in that the buyout has to be paid within 7 days of termination (like aggy did with Sumlin).  Herman will get a job somewhere and his buyout, like his assistants, will likely be offset/mitigated by half and be paid out over the term of the contract.

And bringing Herman back can't be an option.  He's not just getting fired for his mediocre on-field results - he's getting fired for his mediocre on-field results and the fact that he's a huge asshole who has alienated himself and pissed off everyone including the donors who keep this place running.  He's embarrassed the university enough.  Recruiting is in the shitter and if Herman is back we'll be stacking bad class on top of bad class which will completely fuck any chance the next guy has of turning it around in a timely manner.

We're not firing Herman to replace him with 'X'.  We're firing Herman because he did a shit job all around. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Listened to 247's Flagship podcast, out today.  FCB says he thinks Herman will likely be back next year.  

I suffered through that shit - and while FCB did say he thinks Herman returns, its pretty clear that he doesn't know shit and that his 'prediction' is based entirely on the 25 million dollar buyout being too much (despite that fact that it will likely end up being half of that).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  Texas has that 'duty to mitigate' clause in their contracts and weren't dumb enough to write it in that the buyout has to be paid within 7 days of termination (like aggy did with Sumlin).  Herman will get a job somewhere and his buyout, like his assistants, will likely be offset/mitigated by half and be paid out over the term of the contract.

And bringing Herman back can't be an option.  He's not just getting fired for his mediocre on-field results - he's getting fired for his mediocre on-field results and the fact that he's a huge asshole who has alienated himself and pissed off everyone including the donors who keep this place running.  He's embarrassed the university enough.  Recruiting is in the shitter and if Herman is back we'll be stacking bad class on top of bad class which will completely fuck any chance the next guy has of turning it around in a timely manner.

We're not firing Herman to replace him with 'X'.  We're firing Herman because he did a shit job all around. 

He was fired by Shaggy on day 1

Here's why plan B was always TH

Fantasy or possibility? 

I keep seeing this. It is so dumb. Is there any chance you’d go take another job if you had the job you want and knew it would cost your boss $15 million directly into your pocket to fire you?

Beyond that, nono one’s offering Tom a 5 year deal at $5 million plus per year based on his performance at Texas.

11 minutes ago, Zeus said:

He was fired by Shaggy on day 1

Here's why plan B was always TH

This is stupid.  He uses COVID as an excuse to bring Tom back - 'lets see what Herman can do when he doesn't have COVID issues and everything else going on'.

Two things:

1.  Every school is dealing with COVID.  This isn't unique to Texas.

2.  We've seen what Herman is capable of.  He's an average coach who players, fans, admin, and boosters all loathe.  Players don't want to play for him (and have been doing their own negative recruiting) and fans don't want him on the sideline.

"Unless there is an obvious upgrade Tom should stay".  What is obvious?  There is nothing certain about a coaching change.  So grab a pair and make the best decision you can make.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is stupid.  He uses COVID as an excuse to bring Tom back - 'lets see what Herman can do when he doesn't have COVID issues and everything else going on'.

Two things:

1.  Every school is dealing with COVID.  This isn't unique to Texas.

2.  We've seen what Herman is capable of.  He's an average coach who players, fans, admin, and boosters all loathe.  Players don't want to play for him (and have been doing their own negative recruiting) and fans don't want him on the sideline.

"Unless there is an obvious upgrade Tom should stay".  What is obvious?  There is nothing certain about a coaching change.  So grab a pair and make the best decision you can make.

Wait and see what happens. Nobody wants to come coach or play in the big 12, this conference is a joke and as long as Texas stays in it, they will always be B+ at best. 

Go back and watch the TCU game to see why nobody wants to coach at Texas.

Also, those "negative recruiting" things are from Charlie Strong guys, who are all underachievers.

All Tom really has to do at this point is let Yurcich install his offense and focus on recruiting and they will be fine. Let's see what the team can do with a different QB than Sam.

edit: probably next year we win the big12 with 1 loss and get embarrassed in the playoff, just like blowU did a few years in a row

Edited by Zeus
  • Fuck You 4

6 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Wait and see what happens. Nobody wants to come coach or play in the big 12, this conference is a joke and as long as Texas stays in it, they will always be B+ at best. 

Go back and watch the TCU game to see why nobody wants to coach at Texas.

Also, those "negative recruiting" things are from Charlie Strong guys, who are all underachievers.

All Tom really has to do at this point is let Yurcich install his offense and focus on recruiting and they will be fine. Let's see what the team can do with a different QB than Sam.

edit: probably next year we win the big12 with 1 loss and get embarrassed in the playoff, just like blowU did a few years in a row

I didn't realize this was a parody account - my mistake.

• Haha 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I didn't realize this was a parody account - my mistake.

You just hate turtle tom so much you aren't participating in reality. This is a conference of loser football programs, it has been for about 10 years. 

Listen to that video where he talks about how outsiders view Texas, it's not as attractive of a program as people want to believe. 

Also, hippo, who are you going to hire now that you fired Tom (and all his assistants?)?

• Fuck You 5