Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

On 12/12/2020 at 9:57 AM, Hank Chinaski said:

Yup. People want to make our problem way more complicated than it actually is. It isn't the conference or the style of TX HS football or the city of Austin or some sort of inherent "soft" culture within the athletic department. 

It is coaching. We are good when we've had good coaches. We are mediocre when we've had mediocre coaches. We are bad when we've had bad coaches. Sometimes these things are really simple. 

Does the "culture" at Texas make the coaches less effective? I don't see any reason to buy this. What did any of them do at other schools after leaving Texas? If they were actually great coaches and they were simply submarined by some sort of "toxic" culture at Texas, wouldn't they have thrived once they went to Purdue or Arizona or South Florida? Not only did they not thrive, they were disasters. Akers went 12-31-1. Mackovic went 10-18. Strong, to his credit had a winning record (21-16), but he inherited an 11-2 team, and had them at 4-8 by his third year. 

We also hired Mack Brown during my lifetime. Mack got to Texas and basically did what he was doing at North Carolina for a few years, then went 69-9 over a 6-year stretch. He lost his fastball a bit, as we all know, and he has acknowledged that it was his own fault. He's back in the game, and in 2 years has turned UNC from a bad team to a good team. 

So yeah - when we've had good coaches, we've had good teams. The only thing keeping Tom Herman from winning big at Texas is his own inability to manage his program. He hired bad assistants. He is a bad in-game strategist. His teams have consistently committed too many dumb penalties for 4 years. These are coaching issues. They are apparent. THey cost the team games. This isn't complicated. 

You forgot to mention in your last paragraph, somehow these 4/5 star athletes on defense forget Tackling 101.   Or something else involving the very coaching you noted is in play .   I know these guys could tackle when they were in high school because you can pull up their highlight videos and see it.   But they get to Austin and piss poor tackling, playing out of position, and other habits not corrected by now two defensive coordinators has led to games we shouldn’t have lost and number of chronic injuries which led to almost never having the same starting 11 or something close to it on defense for the balance of Tom’s tenure.  

On 10/10/2020 at 9:59 PM, ousux said:
On 10/10/2020 at 9:50 PM, AustinMT said:
And Jimmy  admitted he treated players he needed differently.  I don’t have a problem with that.  Meyer overlooked 30+ arrests in 6 years at Florida,  and reinstated a player that punched a woman on video after 3 games.  What bothers me most is that he was a complete weasel on the Smith issue.  “If I wanted to erase old texts how would I do that?”  And, bingo, texts are erased.
But I have to say, even with all that, I’m in on hiring him.  Just be prepared for the fallout in 4-5 years.

As long as we have at least 3 conference titles and get in the playoffs those years and win more often than not, I'm cool with some light fallout half a decade from now

What you're basically saying is, you're willing to have an FBS football program. 

That would be the "2020est" end to the this fucking shit show if OU somehow is disqualified and Herman beats ISU in rematch to win the game.
Jesus.

The most 2020 scenario would be ISU, who won the round robin outright and is facing a bullshit double jeopardy scenario, couldn’t play and got to watch Texas and OU, two teams they beat, play for the conference. And then yeah, Texas would win (lol) and parrot it like it was completely legit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The most 2020 scenario would be ISU, who won the round robin outright and is facing a bullshit double jeopardy scenario, couldn’t play and got to watch Texas and OU, two teams they beat, play for the conference. And then yeah, Texas would win (lol) and parrot it like it was completely legit.

2008 you mean. Where Texas beat Mizzou/OU, no one had a better record but lost 1 game, mostly due to officiating fuckery on the road and our conference mates voted us down heavily to rig it for OU.

And some of you like Leach....
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

2008 you mean. Where Texas beat Mizzou/OU, no one had a better record but lost 1 game, mostly due to officiating fuckery on the road and our conference mates voted us down heavily to rig it for OU.

And some of you like Leach....

We just hate him less than we hate Briles and that coach-on-the-field who dropped that interception.

16 hours ago, Jack Wilson said:

We just hate him less than we hate Briles and that coach-on-the-field who dropped that interception.

Gideon dropped the ball on one play.  Who let it get to that point?  Official let Orakpo get put in a choke hold.   Gideon was fine, worked his ass off and tries his best.  It wasn't his fault he was starting and it wasn't his fault he was the best option at the time.  That is like blaming Chris Simms for the Evil Roy Superman dive and interception, and ignoring Vasher downing the ball at the 2 yard line or the blocker for letting himself get hurdled.  

• Hook 'Em 5

There is no reason to invest much time or money in Texas football until at least 2025.  It's done

True as this may be, this site will be circle jerking over practice reports and predicting 9-10 wins as the floor over the summer like it always is. Plenty will still go to games and we’ll all be watching.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

True as this may be, this site will be circle jerking over practice reports and predicting 9-10 wins as the floor over the summer like it always is. Plenty will still go to games and we’ll all be watching.

giphy.gif

I don't know.  I can't recall a Texas football coach who was more reviled by the fanbase than Herman currently is. The opening of the SEZ is going to be quite a dud

2 minutes ago, alincoln said:

I don't know.  I can't recall a Texas football coach who was more reviled by the fanbase than Herman currently is. The opening of the SEZ is going to be quite a dud

Others have said this, but the 1st game where we Christen the SEZ will be a sell out. Lots of excitement.

Then the reality of the situation will set in when after the 1st quarter it is tied / we are losing to Napier’s Ragin’ Cajuns.

If he gets hired away, then we may have to wait until week 2 when we travel to Arkansas and lay a huge dud of a loss.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

So uh. Tom Herman is trying to get jobs elsewhere? How does that work. Can Texas waive his buyout and just make it easy for him to leave? 

Stop and think for a second. Muschamp was getting $3 mil/yr at SC. Assume Herman gets the same. 

Do you really think Herman would quit a job paying a guaranteed $5mil/ yr and pay a lump sum of $9mil to UT to take a job paying $3 mil/yr for an initial 5 yrs? 

To get a $15 mil contract at SC, Herman is supposedly giving up $15 mil guaranteed AND paying $9 mil to do it, a net loss to him of $9 mil. He would break even after 8 seasons.

How can people believe the story that Herman called SC about their opening? 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

So uh. Tom Herman is trying to get jobs elsewhere? How does that work. Can Texas waive his buyout and just make it easy for him to leave? 

This is the most fucked up situation imaginable at this point. If CDC is handcuffed with Herman because the BMDs pulled the buyout money, and Herman is actively looking for jobs because he doesnt want to be here, then we need to sit his ass at home and let Ash be the interim next season. This is turning into the Hindenburg. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is worse than embarrassing. You got a coach calling in other jobs and then the AD puts out a statement like he did. Fuck this shit. Whatever that CDC statement was supposed to do for recruiting just got annihilated here. The negative recruiting will be unstoppable now. Herman has to be fired now. There is no credibility with the coach or the athletic department until the school shows the conviction to do what is necessary.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/13/2020 at 8:30 AM, immamac said:

IMG_20201212_170933.thumb.jpg.8c5097a54c1ef004154ffa2be90c7d39.jpg

That looks delicious.  But does anyone else think Immamac's onion placement was purposely done to pay root vegetable homage to his Affliction/Hot Topic tattoo? 

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This is the most fucked up situation imaginable at this point. If CDC is handcuffed with Herman because the BMDs pulled the buyout money, and Herman is actively looking for jobs because he doesnt want to be here, then we need to sit his ass at home and let Ash be the interim next season. This is turning into the Hindenburg. 

CDC is handcuffed to Herman because he made shitty decisions regarding Herman dating back to 2018-last off season-this season-now. 

money is there

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CDC is handcuffed to Herman because he made shitty decisions regarding Herman dating back to 2018-last off season-this season-now. 

money is there

It's there for a candidate that is considered an upgrade. The farther we get from Urban, the more opinions the BMDs will have about the replacements and the more fractured it becomes.

• Hook 'Em 1