Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

8 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It just pisses me off. Tom should have been the guy. These Bowl games show he has the ability to get it done here, but he was too fucking arrogant to put it all together.

I disagree with this. We have shitty seasons so we end up in bad bowl games against bad teams or teams that don’t want to be there. Big difference beating a bad team in a exhibition team and beating the teams we always lose to under Herman Munster.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I disagree with this. We have shitty seasons so we end up in bad bowl games against bad teams or teams that don’t want to be there. Big difference beating a bad team in a exhibition team and beating the teams we always lose to under Herman Munster.

You could point to each of the 4 bowl wins and say those teams were not as good as advertised during the season based on player opt outs or just flat disinterest. The Missouri bowl win may be the best one from a competition perspective, even tho I’m sure many would like to point to uga. Utes and buffs were both pretty bad teams

Edited by taybo20
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It just pisses me off. Tom should have been the guy. These Bowl games show he has the ability to get it done here, but he was too fucking arrogant to put it all together.

He benched the best player on the field for 5 series after he had gone 6/90/2TDs. It took an embarrassment from a National Football commentator and a flood of twitter trash talk to get back to Tom during halftime to do what was blatantly fucking obvious to everyone with a brain. The guy is a fucking idiot and I am not wholly unconvinced that he wasn't trying to throw the game last night and got called out in the locker room at halftime because he was making it too obvious.

Edited by Orange&White
*too/to/two
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

You could point to each of the 4 bowl wins and say those teams were not as good as advertised during the season based on player opt outs or just flat disinterest. The Missouri bowl win may be the best one from a competition perspective, even tho I’m sure many would like to point to uga. Utes and buffs were both pretty bad teams

Flip side is we had quite a few opt outs as well.  But yes we clearly want to be there 

11 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I don’t think Utah was a bad team.  More in the “don’t want to be there” category.  Not sure how many opted out but they had 7 players drafted off that team and drubbed all the teams they were supposed to except us.   Most people thought we would lose that game because their defense had been good right up to the pac 12 champ peen ship.  

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

I don’t think Utah was a bad team.  More in the “don’t want to be there” category.  Not sure how many opted out but they had 7 players drafted off that team and drubbed all the teams they were supposed to except us.   Most people thought we would lose that game because their defense had been good right up to the pac 12 champ peen ship.  

That's fair. They probably weren't bad, but I also don't think the pac12 is that good and were overvalued. We also presented a pretty bad matchup for them considering we were able to go heavy and force them to beat us through the air which they couldn't, and on the other side of the ball, our speed just torched them.

9 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

He's the same here he was at Houston. Winning some big games, losing games he shouldn't have, and generally not up to the consistent week-in week-out preparation and performance this job demands.

23 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

He benched the best player on the field for 5 series after he had gone 6/90/2TDs. It took an embarrassment from a National Football commentator and a flood of twitter trash talk to get back to Tom during halftime to do what was blatantly fucking obvious to everyone with a brain. The guy is a fucking idiot and I am not wholly unconvinced that he wasn't trying to throw the game last night and got called out in the locker room at halftime because he was making it too obvious.

All this 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

We play for bowl games. Just not for TCU

And this inconsistency is what's so maddening.

Last season we hung with ou and eventual champion LSU.  But we lost 5 times.

This season, we hung with ou.  But we lost 3 and it should've been 4.

I would say there are three main hallmarks of a badly coached team: poor discipline, poor fundamentals, and inconsistency.  We've shown all three in spades with dumb penalties, bad tackling, and the fact that we have the talent to hang with anyone in the country but we're also capable of losing to anyone in the country.

After 4 years, you still don't know what you're gonna get from this team from one Saturday to the next.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I would say there are three main hallmarks of a badly coached team: poor discipline, poor fundamentals, and inconsistency.  We've shown all three in spades with dumb penalties, bad tackling, and the fact that we have the talent to hang with anyone in the country but we're also capable of losing to anyone in the country.

After 4 years, you still don't know what you're gonna get from this team from one Saturday to the next.

Disappointment is known

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Or Iowa State

P

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

So true. So true

42 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

That's fair. They probably weren't bad, but I also don't think the pac12 is that good and were overvalued. We also presented a pretty bad matchup for them considering we were able to go heavy and force them to beat us through the air which they couldn't, and on the other side of the ball, our speed just torched them.

That and I think they were down a couple of all everything safeties while having zero film to prepare for Craig Naviar’s improvised bowl defense. 

Kinda like CU had nothing to prep themselves for Casey. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

That and I think they were down a couple of all everything safeties while having zero film to prepare for Craig Naviar’s improvised bowl defense. 

Kinda like CU had nothing to prep themselves for Casey. 

Not sure I buy either point. The counter being Utah surely was prepare for a defense that wasn’t 0 blitz 3rd down and the buffs didn’t prepare for an accurate QB?

Okay maybe I see the 2nd point lol

It's really frustrating.  Herman is by no means a bad coach.  He's also not a great coach.  With the insane athletes and talent advantage he has, he lost to a fucking trash TCU team again, almost lost to Tech if it wasn't for a miracle, lost to the worst ou team in years, and gave the game away to iowa state.  We didn't lose those games because of talent.  We lost those games because of poor coaching and personal decisions.  He knows how to evaluate high school players, he understands how to recruit for the most part, he also understands the importance of facilities and support staff.  However his arrogance will be his downfall.  It's unfortunate because I do believe he will have success in the future if he changes, but he will not be at his dream job at Texas.  He can only look at himself in the mirror.  I hope this experience has taught him humility and some maturity.  

I hope the next coach will retain Ash, Hutzler, Drayton, Giles, and maybe Yurcich.  The rest of the coaches need to be let go.  Go get the best coaches AND recruiters at those positions.  Build on what is working.  Play your best players, limit mistakes, and don't make stupid decisions to go for it on 4th down when there's points available.  Do those things and you will find success here.  

• Like 1

I am gruntled to see my fellow surlsters not falling for another banana in the tailpipe Herma bowl performance.  We know what we have in the turtle.  

But, I don't think that carries over in the AD office.  Crystal may have just enough leverage to keep his boy.  I think we're stuck with him at least through 21.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I am gruntled to see my fellow surlsters not falling for another banana in the tailpipe Herma bowl performance.  We know what we have in the turtle.  

But, I don't think that carries over in the AD office.  Crystal may have just enough leverage to keep his boy.  I think we're stuck with him at least through 21.  

I thought so before this game. Now if he would have lost I think it would be different. But my confidence for a firing is extremely low

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It's really frustrating.  Herman is by no means a bad coach.  He's also not a great coach.  With the insane athletes and talent advantage he has, he lost to a fucking trash TCU team again, almost lost to Tech if it wasn't for a miracle, lost to the worst ou team in years, and gave the game away to iowa state.  We didn't lose those games because of talent.  We lost those games because of poor coaching and personal decisions.  He knows how to evaluate high school players, he understands how to recruit for the most part, he also understands the importance of facilities and support staff.  However his arrogance will be his downfall.  It's unfortunate because I do believe he will have success in the future if he changes, but he will not be at his dream job at Texas.  He can only look at himself in the mirror.  I hope this experience has taught him humility and some maturity.  

I hope the next coach will retain Ash, Hutzler, Drayton, Giles, and maybe Yurcich.  The rest of the coaches need to be let go.  Go get the best coaches AND recruiters at those positions.  Build on what is working.  Play your best players, limit mistakes, and don't make stupid decisions to go for it on 4th down when there's points available.  Do those things and you will find success here.  

Agree with this, but which ever coach (coaches) decided to misuse Bijan this season (RBs in general) need to be gone, don't care who they are. There hasn't been a point this season where anyone with a brain didn't think he good and needed to get the ball more.  If that's Drayton and/or Yurcich they need to go.

Controversial post incoming.

Herman is gone. It was decided weeks ago.

Urban has turned down Texas twice after initially pitching himself for the job pretty aggressively. It is unlikely he’s coming, although there’s still the remote possibility that he’s been sending out misdirection information for awhile. I doubt it.

That leaves a new coach. Every potential coach out there has blemishes- Kelly, Campbell, Sark, Kubiak, etc. Herman has significant blemishes too, more than many of the potential replacements.

He’s disliked, has pissed off boosters and the admin, and there are rumors of improper behavior. He’s been inconsistent on winning and has made very many questionable decisions around game decisions, coaching hires, game prep, etc. Also recruiting is in deep shit.

However...........he’s also learning on the job. There are signs of his teams having the potential of being very good. The talent on the roster is very good. He’s had some solid upsets. He’s only had one partial season with the new staff.

While I’ve been as frustrated, if not more, than others this year and last year, I could see this guy having his shit together starting next year as a result of learning from all of his dumb ass mistakes.

Even though he’s gone, part of me wouldn’t mind seeing one more year, although I’m sure by the third quarter of the first game I’d be apoplectic again.

I could easily see us dismissing him, picking up Kelly or whoever and continuing to struggle, while he ends up at a lower level P5 program and just kills it. That would really really suck.

The caveat to all of this is his personal conduct and immaturity. If it’s really as bad as CTJ and other have indicated, then him going away is an easy decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I think what's frustrating about Tom is he just trips over himself.  Self-inflicted wounds, maturity issues.  I think motivated Tom is a plus recruiter.  But alas, 1-3 vs tcu, 1-5 vs ou and zero conference titles probably sinks him.  

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I think what's frustrating about Tom is he just trips over himself.  Self-inflicted wounds, maturity issues.  I think motivated Tom is a plus recruiter.  But alas, 1-3 vs tcu, 1-5 vs ou and zero conference titles probably sinks him.  

Isn’t Tom Herman Texas football 1-4 against OU or are you just penciling in the next RRS as a loss? 

The problem with Herman is that it is Year 4, and he still doesn’t understand the concept of game planning for opponents. If it was Year 2, that’s him learning on the job, but he seems like he is too god damn stubborn to make the changes week to week to attack the opponents weakness. 

The ISU game showed some development on that, but once ISU adjusted, he had no answer. 

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

The frustrating part of Tom is his complete bullshit attitude of thinking he is smarter than he actually is.

If that fuckface really watched the first two series of Bijan and then benched him for the next 5, while going 3 and out in each of those five series, and was still thinking it is the "smart" move to "rotate" backs, he is a fucking idiot of epic proportions. There is not one fucking iota of good coaching or even common fucking sense in that.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

The frustrating part of Tom is his complete bullshit attitude of thinking he is smarter than he actually is.

If that fuckface really watched the first two series of Bijan and then benched him for the next 5, while going 3 and out in each of those five series, and was still thinking it is the "smart" move to "rotate" backs, he is a fucking idiot of epic proportions. There is not one fucking iota of good coaching or even common fucking sense in that.

This mofo should go play 5d chess if he wants to do this shit. Leave football to the guys with common sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Controversial post incoming.

Herman is gone. It was decided weeks ago.

Urban has turned down Texas twice after initially pitching himself for the job pretty aggressively. It is unlikely he’s coming, although there’s still the remote possibility that he’s been sending out misdirection information for awhile. I doubt it.

That leaves a new coach. Every potential coach out there has blemishes- Kelly, Campbell, Sark, Kubiak, etc. Herman has significant blemishes too, more than many of the potential replacements.

He’s disliked, has pissed off boosters and the admin, and there are rumors of improper behavior. He’s been inconsistent on winning and has made very many questionable decisions around game decisions, coaching hires, game prep, etc. Also recruiting is in deep shit.

However...........he’s also learning on the job. There are signs of his teams having the potential of being very good. The talent on the roster is very good. He’s had some solid upsets. He’s only had one partial season with the new staff.

While I’ve been as frustrated, if not more, than others this year and last year, I could see this guy having his shit together starting next year as a result of learning from all of his dumb ass mistakes.

Even though he’s gone, part of me wouldn’t mind seeing one more year, although I’m sure by the third quarter of the first game I’d be apoplectic again.

I could easily see us dismissing him, picking up Kelly or whoever and continuing to struggle, while he ends up at a lower level P5 program and just kills it. That would really really suck.

The caveat to all of this is his personal conduct and immaturity. If it’s really as bad as CTJ and other have indicated, then him going away is an easy decision.

Personal conduct, letting the eyes thing spin out of control, recruiting, maryland, maryland, tcu, ou, iowa fucking state, etc.  Yes, the roster is talented and we looked good last night.  But homie has got to go.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Herman seemed to desperately be trying to show the cameras that he's a players' coach last night. None more revealing of this than forcing RoJo to stand there and show him the secret handshake for everyone to see how down-to-earth he is. Fuck that guy. Win something meaningful, bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If you let that fuckface bastard come back next season, he will likely win every game on the schedule except a blowout loss to ou, then another blowout loss to ou again in the championship game and finish the season 11-2.
Then how do you fire him?
Fuck this. Fire that shithead now.

This is my fear. They’re not losing to Arkansas. The roster will still be a lot more talented than everyone in conference not named OU. The DL will be very good. Even penciling in TCU as a L because Patterson owns Herman, it’s not hard to see Texas at 11-3 or 10-4 at the end of the year, even if there’s likely no significant hardware to show for it. After all, this is a 10-3 team this year if all the games are played (not losing to garbage Kansas, USF, or even LSU, who is awful). If they don’t fire him now, they certainly won’t then.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

Not sure I buy either point. The counter being Utah surely was prepare for a defense that wasn’t 0 blitz 3rd down and the buffs didn’t prepare for an accurate QB?

Okay maybe I see the 2nd point lol

You realize that tendency is the glue that connects all game day prep and in game coaching decision making right?

Staffs will go back and try to find any film at all, coworkers and or opponents of an interim coordinator’s tendencies and preferences. Utah may have had some idea of what Naviar likes to do and what our various player strengths and weaknesses were. But they didn’t have charted data for down, distance, hash or pressure for what Naviar trotted out. And that shit matters. 

How often do we see some backup QB get inserted into the game, particularly against us, and watch them gut our defense for a quarter to a half? Pretty f’ing often to my mind. And it’s because the damn coaches are paralyzed. They don’t know what to do. We start playing a lot of base and guessing with blitzes because we don’t know their tendencies. 

Much the same with Casey Thompson. He looked great last night. We now definitively know that he can pass the ball quite well. Fanf’ingtastic. Now let’s see how he does once teams have a book on his tendencies, favorite concepts, and pet plays and players. Several teams will have the ability to make him play left handed. CU was guessing that we’d lean on the run and we burned them for it repeatedly. 

Sometimes it doesn’t work out that way. The talent disparity is sufficient or the coaching staffs are insufficient. But there are plenty of data points suggesting that coaching without then ability to prepare and chart tendency is kinda hard. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is my fear. They’re not losing to Arkansas. The roster will still be a lot more talented than everyone in conference not named OU. The DL will be very good. Even penciling in TCU as a L because Patterson owns Herman, it’s not hard to see Texas at 11-3 or 10-4 at the end of the year, even if there’s likely no significant hardware to show for it. After all, this is a 10-3 team this year if all the games are played (not losing to garbage Kansas, USF, or even LSU, who is awful). If they don’t fire him now, they certainly won’t then.

We were saying the exact same thing 10 months ago about this season and Tom pulled another big brain move again, we are not winning 10-11 games next Mensa will find away to fuck around and lose to a 2-4 Baylor or Tech.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You realize that tendency is the glue that connects all game day prep and in game coaching decision making right?

Staffs will go back and try to find any film at all, coworkers and or opponents of an interim coordinator’s tendencies and preferences. Utah May have had some idea of what Naviar likes to do and what our various player strengths and weaknesses were. But they didn’t have charted data for down, distance, hash or pressure for what Naviar trotted out. And that shit matters. 

How often do we see some backup QB get inserted into the game, particularly against us, and watched them hit our defense for a quarter to a half? Pretty f’ing often to my mind. And it’s because the damn coaches are paralyzed. They don’t know what to do. We start playing a lot of base and guessing with blitzes because we don’t know their tendencies. 

Much the same with Casey Thompson. He looked great last night. We now definitively know that he can pass the ball quite well. Fanf’ingtastic. Now let’s see how he does once teams have a book on his tendencies, favorite concepts, and pet plays and players. Several teams will have the ability to make him play left handed. CU was guessing that we’d lean on the run and we burned them for it repeatedly. 

Sometimes it doesn’t work out that way. The talent disparity is sufficient or the coaching staffs are insufficient. But there are plenty of data points suggesting that coaching without then ability to prepare and chart tendency is kinda hard. 

I agree about us having shitty coaches that can't adjust midgame...haha. I get your point about tendency. I'm just saying there was nothing spectacular in the game plan against the Utes that they didn't see some of against Oregon. In terms of Casey, sure they probably didn't expect throws downfield from the backup, and maybe they game planned for a more inaccurate QB, idk. But if Casey misses those throws, its a different story likely today. But they were getting gashed even in the first half, so they had to guess run period. Maybe that made it easier for Casey, I'm sure it did. But it also kept colorado off balance cause they couldn't stop anything except first half RJ and innaccurate Same

We were saying the exact same thing 10 months ago about this season and Tom pulled another big brain move again, we are not winning 10-11 games next Mensa will find away to fuck around and lose to a 2-4 Baylor or Tech.

Texas would be, at an absolute minimum minimum, 9-4 in a world where all games were played. Probably 10-3. So I’d say were more or less in that scenario now.

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I agree about us having shitty coaches that can't adjust midgame...haha. I get your point about tendency. I'm just saying there was nothing spectacular in the game plan against the Utes that they didn't see some of against Oregon. In terms of Casey, sure they probably didn't expect throws downfield from the backup, and maybe they game planned for a more inaccurate QB, idk. But if Casey misses those throws, its a different story likely today. But they were getting gashed even in the first half, so they had to guess run period. Maybe that made it easier for Casey, I'm sure it did. But it also kept colorado off balance cause they couldn't stop anything except first half RJ and innaccurate Same

Seeing what Oregon does, or figuring that we won’t send an Egypt blitz on 3rd and Orlando is not really pertinent to the conversation. Seeing OU run something that we haven’t seen ISU run doesn’t do a lot to prepare our team for ISU running it other than hopefully some sharp player or coach seeing a tell pre or post snap. It’s hardly the way that you’d prep for another team. 

The larger point being that the Utah win was fool’s gold. They may not have been motivated to be there. They were down some of their secondary stars (future NFL players if I remember correctly), and they weren’t able to prepare well for our Ad Hoc defense. 

And it’s why my excitement for CT’s performance is tempered for now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Texas would be, at an absolute minimum minimum, 9-4 in a world where all games were played. Probably 10-3. So I’d say were more or less in that scenario now.

Yes, this year's LSU team is ass - 2 more non conf wins + KU.  We'd be 10-3 and no discussion of firing him.