Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, The Dark Knight said:

Maybe Herman did contact South Carolina, I don’t know.  But this story seems very aggy/sec circle jerk to me, especially coming from some local reporter on Pauuuu’s show. 

FWIW - Bobby said he doesn’t doubt the guy reporting it at all. Said that Tom had been in contact with SC once before and wouldn’t surprise him if Tom reached out directly to the President or AD. 

Stop and think for a second. Muschamp was getting $3 mil/yr at SC. Assume Herman gets the same. 
Do you really think Herman would quit a job paying a guaranteed $5mil/ yr and pay a lump sum of $9mil to UT to take a job paying $3 mil/yr for an initial 5 yrs? 
To get a $15 mil contract at SC, Herman is supposedly giving up $15 mil guaranteed AND paying $9 mil to do it, a net loss to him of $9 mil. He would break even after 8 seasons.
How can people believe the story that Herman called SC about their opening? 

I know how agreeing with RD looks, but this is correct. You don’t try to walk from a top job in in you firing when it costs you boss $15mm, directly into your pocket, to fire you.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Bobby said he doesn’t doubt the guy reporting it at all. Said that Tom had been in contact with SC once before and wouldn’t surprise him if Tom reached out directly to the President or AD. 

Thanks for the info. I can’t believe we are at the point where we are having to talk about our coach reaching out to South Carolina.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I know how agreeing with RD looks, but this is correct. You don’t try to walk from a top job in in you firing when it costs you boss $15mm, directly into your pocket, to fire you.

He wasn’t looking to walk away from Texas - he was lining up a job opportunity for after Texas fires him. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Maybe Herman did contact South Carolina, I don’t know.  But this story seems very aggy/sec circle jerk to me, especially coming from some local reporter on Pauuuu’s show. 

Another poster speculated that today's hit job on Herman on The Paul Finebaum Show is tied to blOU.  The reporter Sapakoff is from South Carolina and knows Beamer well -- and Beamer just left blOU to take the Gamecocks Head Coaching job...

It helps blOU and SEC-Aggy 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Why did the name of this thread ever change from “Fire Tom Herman”?

We changed it to CDC y u no then we thought urban was a done deal then I changed it to this, since it reflects reality a bit more and ends the "fire _insert coach name_" thing.

This is now the thread to just talk shit about this loser. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, markstanco said:
3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:
So fucking Fitlump can win a ACC seat yet we’re still stuck with Herman?
Welp the Texas Football program is fucked. Just a total shitshow. WTF. 

She won? Thats awesome and hilarious

It’s awesome...if you’re not a citizen of Austin. 

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

lol what

Report: Tom Herman Wants Out of Texas

The former Ohio State offensive coordinator is not happy with the state of affairs in Austin and reportedly wants out.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/news/ohio-state-football-former-offensive-coordinator-tom-herman-wants-to-leave-texas-job

Well CDC.....  your move.     

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

lol what

Report: Tom Herman Wants Out of Texas

The former Ohio State offensive coordinator is not happy with the state of affairs in Austin and reportedly wants out.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/news/ohio-state-football-former-offensive-coordinator-tom-herman-wants-to-leave-texas-job

Lol their source for that “report” is the interview on Finebaum. Click. Bait.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, orangecat92 said:

Remembering that herm doesn’t have a true buyout, maybe agent could propose a true buyout, reduced amount, but get it upfront?  Maybe 8 to 10 million up front, to leave now?  Problem is the asst coach’s buyouts.  

Assistants are good. They need someone with a brain and that's it. The machine is built just needs a pilot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I think he can walk away if he wants...right? Anybody know anything about coaching  contracts?

Herman’s current contract pays him $6 mil/ yr. If he wants to walk, he has to pat the school $9 mil. If CDC fires him without cause, the school pays him $15 mil. 

So the people claiming Herman wanted to leave UT for South Carolina are asserting Herman would pay 3 years salary from his new job to get paid half his old salary. 

The break even on that arrangement is 8 years. In other words, if he chose this option, he would work for the next eight years and not improve his financial situation by as much as a dine until his ninth season as head coach of South Carolina.

This is goes to show how some people believe anything and don’t think for a moment whether (the day before NSD) someone from the S!E!C! would put out false information to harm Texas’ recruiting efforts. 

Think, people! If Herman was worried about getting fired and paid $15 mil, would he instead choose to forego the $15 mil to instead pay $9 mil out of his pocket to grab the first job he could? 

I can't believe how gullible some people are. 

And because of his offset language, if he got fired his next employer wouldn't have to pay him for the first three years. If Herman terminates the contract, he pays the $9 mil out of his pocket. If he gets fired, the $15 million is paid in monthly installments over the next three years and the pay from his next employer would be subtracted from what UT owed him.

Quit believing everything Paul Finebaum, Clay Travis, or any S!E!C! homes says about UT Austin. Finebaum (yet again) says something absurd and clickbait suckers fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, markstanco said:

No, he would work something out where he didn't owe 9 million where both parties were happy. Think people!

Exactly why would Texas waive that provision from the contract? If "money is no object" why not just cut him loose and throw $15 mil at him? For that matter, if Herman wanted to coach South Carolina so badly, why wouldn't Herman just waive his $15 million buyout?

Either CDC wants him to stay or wants him gone. CDC isn't going to keep Herman on the payroll because he didn't want Herman to have to pay the $9 mil buyout.

Herman is coming back because it is the responsible thing to do, all factors considered. On Sept 1, CDC eliminated 80 positions and instituted (still ongoing) salary reductions from over 200 staff, all because if "financial distress." To then, just 12 months later, (while salary cuts are still in place) to publicly claim "money is no object" would be damaging beyond description.

But if you have to, keep working those mental gymnastics you need to convince yourself Paul Finebaum is correct. Because we all know S!E!C! homers NEVER would make up some stupid story to make UT Austin (or a long list of other schools) look bad.

It amazes me how so many "educated" people fall for clickbait so easily.

It doesn't help that Bellmont's media staff are completely incompetent. There isn't a person on that staff who shouldn't have been let go on Sept 1, and they prove that every opportunity they get.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

How would the fanbase view Herman and Co if we won the Big 12 next year? 

Herman has long seen himself as being the smartest person in the room. He has been exposed as not being anywhere close to that.

I see Tom Herman as someone completely lost. He has lost his personal identity. He has lost his professional identity. I don't see him as someone capable of turning his current challenges into an opportunity to grow as a person or a professional.

I am sure Herman thinks all that is going on around him as everyone else's fault. I am just as sure he has no clue what part he personally played in his current freefall.

Tom Herman, for all his positives, has simply reached the limits of his ability as a football coach. He makes a competent offensive coordinator. He is competent as a mid-major head coach. But he lacks the ability to compete against his peers at the highest levels of his profession.

I think the upside for UT football in 2021 is the Cheezit Bowl. Maybe the Texas Bowl in Houston, if he gets lucky.

Lincoln Riley has to laugh when he hears mention of Tom Herman's name. No coach in the Big 12 has any doubt he can beat a Tom Herman coached football team.

It is what it is.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Herman has long seen himself as being the smartest person in the room. He has been exposed as not being anywhere close to that.

I see Tom Herman as someone completely lost. He has lost his personal identity. He has lost his professional identity. I don't see him as someone capable of turning his current challenges into an opportunity to grow as a person or a professional.

I am sure Herman thinks all that is going on around him as everyone else's fault. I am just as sure he has no clue what part he personally played in his current freefall.

Tom Herman, for all his positives, has simply reached the limits of his ability as a football coach. He makes a competent offensive coordinator. He is competent as a mid-major head coach. But he lacks the ability to compete against his peers at the highest levels of his profession.

I think the upside for UT football in 2021 is the Cheezit Bowl. Maybe the Texas Bowl in Houston, if he gets lucky.

Lincoln Riley has to laugh when he hears mention of Tom Herman's name. No coach in the Big 12 has any doubt he can beat a Tom Herman coached football team.

It is what it is.

image.png.0ec2e87ea4d4d0ef555992f66fd75c3f.png

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Herman is coming back because it is the responsible thing to do, all factors considered. On Sept 1, CDC eliminated 80 positions and instituted (still ongoing) salary reductions from over 200 staff, all because if "financial distress." To then, just 12 months later, (while salary cuts are still in place) to publicly claim "money is no object" would be damaging beyond description.

There's a big difference between the athletic department money that is already there and budgeted, and money that is not there that will only appear if boosters donate under certain conditions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

How would the fanbase view Herman and Co if we won the Big 12 next year? 

He would have totally redeemed himself.

But it isn't happening. Sort of like people telling us this year how we were in the championship hunt this year, we all knew that was not going to happen.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby/Nahlin say don't expect anything to happen before the first of the year.   Makes sense as I wouldn't expect any of the coaches mentioned to leave their teams before their bowl game.

Just keeping folks on the line as long as possible.  They'll be selling the same shit until spring practice starts with Turtle.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

There's a big difference between the athletic department money that is already there and budgeted, and money that is not there that will only appear if boosters donate under certain conditions.

No there isn't.

If the donors aren't willing to donate to help support the people who operate the program, we can't assume those donors care in the least about the program. Taking money from the paychecks of over 200 employees, while simultaneously having "unlimited" money for "special" people sets up a toxic dynamic that would lead to dysfunction and operational failure for decades. Herman, at least, was willing to defer pay to help Bellmont through its current financial struggles.

Making a clear statement that people (and students) don't matter, and that Texas football exists only for the benefit of millionaire coaches and millionaire donors isn't anything I could support.

I would not be shocked in the least if Texas has to cut athletics programs due to the current financial situation. Having an "untouchable" football coach while rank and file employees as well as students suffer isn't consistent with my personal ethics, or in how we should encourage UT athletics to be operated.

It isn't smart to take money from over 200 employees claiming financial distress, pay the athletes themselves nothing, and lavish financial opulence on a coach. Especially when the U.S. Congress is about hold hearings on possible legislating focused on the abuses in college athletics.

The self-centered nature of people who refuse to look at the big picture or the long-term interests of UT athletics, all because their personal wants with the best interest of UT athletics is beyond pathetic. the people pushing for this at this time are the ones who are at the core of the "cesspool" accusations that taint UT athletics.

I'm not in love with Tom Herman in any way, but I would rather keep Herman for another year and tell the toxic alumni to fuck off. We need real leadership from Hartzell and CDC, not capitulation to the worst elements of our alumni base.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

No there isn't.

If the donors aren't willing to donate to help support the people who operate the program, we can't assume those donors care in the least about the program. Taking money from the paychecks of over 200 employees, while simultaneously having "unlimited" money for "special" people sets up a toxic dynamic that would lead to dysfunction and operational failure for decades. Herman, at least, was willing to defer pay to help Bellmont through its current financial struggles.

Making a clear statement that people (and students) don't matter, and that Texas football exists only for the benefit of millionaire coaches and millionaire donors isn't anything I could support.

I would not be shocked in the least if Texas has to cut athletics programs due to the current financial situation. Having an "untouchable" football coach while rank and file employees as well as students suffer isn't consistent with my personal ethics, or in how we should encourage UT athletics to be operated.

It isn't smart to take money from over 200 employees claiming financial distress, pay the athletes themselves nothing, and lavish financial opulence on a coach. Especially when the U.S. Congress is about hold hearings on possible legislating focused on the abuses in college athletics.

The self-centered nature of people who refuse to look at the big picture or the long-term interests of UT athletics, all because their personal wants with the best interest of UT athletics is beyond pathetic. the people pushing for this at this time are the ones who are at the core of the "cesspool" accusations that taint UT athletics.

I'm not in love with Tom Herman in any way, but I would rather keep Herman for another year and tell the toxic alumni to fuck off. We need real leadership from Hartzell and CDC, not capitulation to the worst elements of our alumni base.

the big lebowski opinion GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

No there isn't.

Everything you said is true.  In a perfect world the same guys willing to put up $15 million for a theoretical Herman buyout would just donate it to the school and say "here do what you think is best with it".  But shit don't work that way, and hasn't since forever.t

The reality is Football is king and pays ALL the bills.  Football can do what it wants.  Every smart leader on campus knows that a successful football team leads to more donation and support for all the other programs.  So yes they will cannibalize other sports or services to keep football happy. 

• Like 2