Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

One of the weirder things about this bizarre Herman tenure has to be that he’s 4-0 against KState. Mack was 3-7, Strong was 1-2.  

first three wins were classic Herman in that they were all one score wins but obviously today was a one-off. 

He came in at the tail end of the Purple Wizard's reign.  Kstate was historically bad before he showed up and they appear to be headed back to that now that he's gone.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He came in at the tail end of the Purple Wizard's reign.  Kstate was historically bad before he showed up and they appear to be headed back to that now that he's gone.

Yeah, but they had a complete fucking mindfuck spell on us. Ron Prince beat us...twice. 

Just now, RoyalBevo21 said:

Damn, how the hell did Mack go 3-7 vs Kstate? Wtf.......

First two, they were way better than us. They killed us in the first one (even held Ricky to 47 yards) and applewhite had the worst game of his career in the second. 

we won wars in 02 and 03. 

colt got hurt in 06 and our program crumbled for over a year from that game that we barely lost. In 07, jordy Nelson humiliated us in Austin. In 2010, our program truly crumbled and Gilbert threw 476 interceptions. They were better than us in 11 and 12 and waxed us in both. Mack barely won against a scrub an in 13 at home. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think the Appleturnover game was the first game I ever attended at DKR.  I also was lucky enough to see Chris Simms' meltdown in the Big XII championship game and the MNC game against Alabama.

Seems like you’re a real problem...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sidis said:

First two, they were way better than us. They killed us in the first one (even held Ricky to 47 yards) and applewhite had the worst game of his career in the second. 

we won wars in 02 and 03. 

colt got hurt in 06 and our program crumbled for over a year from that game that we barely lost. In 07, jordy Nelson humiliated us in Austin. In 2010, our program truly crumbled and Gilbert threw 476 interceptions. They were better than us in 11 and 12 and waxed us in both. Mack barely won against a scrub an in 13 at home. 

KSU had the good fortune of not playing FUPM’s five best teams: 2001, 2004, 2005, 2008, and 2009. The funny thing is, Nebraska never had to face those teams, either (2009 CCG being the exception).

• Hook 'Em 1

I say go after Tony Elliott, dude can flat out coach. Has been the playcaller for Clemson since 2015. Guy can flat out coach and has learned how to run a program from one of the best. I think we could get him at a bargain at 5 years 4.5 million each. 

Luke Fickell would be who I would also go after but he will have a 4 million buyout if we hire now or after January 1 it goes to 3.5 million.

The above is assuming Mullen is a no go. I think Sexton is just trying to get him a raise/extension with his name being floated.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I say go after Tony Elliott, dude can flat out coach. Has been the playcaller for Clemson since 2015. Guy can flat out coach and has learned how to run a program from one of the best. I think we could get him at a bargain at 5 years 4.5 million each. 

Luke Fickell would be who I would also go after but he will have a 4 million buyout if we hire now or after January 1 it goes to 3.5 million.

The above is assuming Mullen is a no go. I think Sexton is just trying to get him a raise/extension with his name being floated.

Yep.  Nobody is going to be excited by a Coordinator - but at this point might as well swing big on potential, and Tony Elliot probably has the highest potential of anyone we're talking about.  Pair him with a top DC and make sure he has absolutely everything he could ever need - including the resources to recruit like they do at Clemson.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yep.  Nobody is going to be excited by a Coordinator - but at this point might as well swing big on potential, and Tony Elliot probably has the highest potential of anyone we're talking about.  Pair him with a top DC and make sure he has absolutely everything he could ever need - including the resources to recruit like they do at Clemson.

Why does he have the highest potential again?

Previous Clemson OCs include Jeff Scott, Chad Morris, and Billy Napier. Only one of those coaches has shown success and that is at a non-P5 school. Morris, who was very hyped, spectacularly failed. 

Donors would have ponied up the massive buyout for Tom and the cost of Urban, but it’s going to be much more difficult to convince the donors to foot the bill for a new coach not on Urban’s calibur. The buyout gets lower every year so unfortunately the chances of Herman coming back for 1 more year are pretty high right now. 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Donors would have ponied up the massive buyout for Tom and the cost of Urban, but it’s going to be much more difficult to convince the donors to foot the bill for a new coach not on Urban’s calibur. The buyout gets lower every year so unfortunately the chances of Herman coming back for 1 more year are pretty high right now. 

Save some money to bring back a lame duck coach? The costs of fan apathy and destroying recruiting are much higher.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

What happened to all the talk about us having dirt on Herman that is going to enable us to avoid paying all of the huge buyout?

Edited by elguapo

Remember when we hired Strong?  Saban turned us down, Briles wouldn't interview with us (thank goodness), Jimbo had turned us down, Jim Mora turned us down, Chris Peterson wasn't interested... who else am I missing.  We basically settled on Strong after everyone on the list above him said no. 

This athletic department has severely mismanaged this situation. Who is going to want to walk in being the back up choice with a split fanbase.  Dan Mullen is not coming here.  That guy is not leaving a fucking easy SEC East division for this mess.  He's trying to get himself a raise.  Everyone loves to be courted and wants to add "turned Texas down" on their resume.  

This is going to come down to Matt Campbell, Fickell, Franklin, and PJ Fleck.  Campbell will take Michigan before Texas in my opinion.  Franklin is 1-5 this year.  Looking more like Fleck he was lightening in a bottle.

19 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Remember when we hired Strong?  Saban turned us down, Briles wouldn't interview with us (thank goodness), Jimbo had turned us down, Jim Mora turned us down, Chris Peterson wasn't interested... who else am I missing.  We basically settled on Strong after everyone on the list above him said no. 

This athletic department has severely mismanaged this situation. Who is going to want to walk in being the back up choice with a split fanbase.  Dan Mullen is not coming here.  That guy is not leaving a fucking easy SEC East division for this mess.  He's trying to get himself a raise.  Everyone loves to be courted and wants to add "turned Texas down" on their resume.  

This is going to come down to Matt Campbell, Fickell, Franklin, and PJ Fleck.  Campbell will take Michigan before Texas in my opinion.  Franklin is 1-5 this year.  Looking more like Fleck he was lightening in a bottle.

wait, I didn't know UT went after Jimbo!  I wonder how strongly... what $$/year and how long the contract, etc.  And this would have been before he won his national championship at FSU, or after? I think before. Interesting that he turned you guys down.

4 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

wait, I didn't know UT went after Jimbo!  I wonder how strongly... what $$/year and how long the contract, etc.  And this would have been before he won his national championship at FSU, or after? I think before. Interesting that he turned you guys down.

I think it was radioactivity that kept them from interviewing. Mack Brown didn't exactly have a graceful exit and had too heavy a hand in the process of his replacement even though he was shitcanned by the university.