Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Firstly, sorry for the poor quality pics. I’m multitasking here in my home office while rewatching the game. Some folks were asking when Sam got hurt, so I figured I’d share.

Looks like Sam was hurt on this 1st and 5 play as soon as they cut in from the overlapped 11am game at 12:47 in the first. The safety, #29, in this pic comes in and puts his helmet right on the top of Sam’s shoulder on the tackle..see crude red circle. Sam gets up holding his arm straight with a look of pain on his face, runs another play handing off to Tre Watson. After this play is done, he starts rolling it like he’s trying to work it out in pic 4. Camera then zooms to the blood on his hand the subsequent play where he touches his nose with said bloody hand we all saw. The rest is history as we saw it play out. Glad it was on a grade 1 sprain. Hit was pretty damn solid right on his shoulder.

683b8f96360ec3335db2907f336eabb6.jpg

f11dd0c743dac6399e58069e8467e7b1.jpg

5bba966a891b9fdadacfaf33792e0e7e.jpg

7dd240a1e01668440b4a9512f4016969.jpg

• Like 5

Trucked that MF though.

Needs to stay in the weight room if he wants to Tebow so many guys.

Also, the play at 3:52 had about 4 guys pile into the hit.

I wish they would've just kept passing it because Sam was connecting on passes downfield.

Edited by Zavala
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Texas25 said:

The Kansas State game was definitely the staff getting conservative and they know that, Herman said so himself.

The OU game I don't think we got conservative, more so we made a concerted effort to run the ball and milk the clock which wasn't helped by 3 holding penalties. We ran the same running plays we had all game, OU was just keying on them more. If we sprinkle a couple more incompletions into that 4th quarter in an effort to stay aggressive we very well may lose that game in regulation and Surly would have burned to the ground. I think the staffs head was in the right place we just didn't execute. Had we stayed aggressive maybe it works out and we floor OU who knows but I don't really have a problem with the decisions the staff made. Next year is the year Herman and staff will be looking to take them behind the woodshed. Tulsa was just a weird game.

I think the staff is doing a good job of walking the fine line between winning and losing and are focused on big picture although Herman utters every week that we are focused on going 1-0. Herman knows the importance of this season and a 3 point win and a 40 point win in the context of this season is the same because everybody knows we probably aren't realistically a threat to make the CFP. Unfortunately we didn't get to see it because Sam got hurt against Baylor but I believe the staff trusts him now late in games with the way he has played the last 5 weeks. I think going forward you'll see us open it up more in the 4th quarter going forward. The staff had reason to be antsy in the 4th quarter with a lead given what happened last year.

The biggest thing a coach has to do at a new job is what I call getting the plane off the ground by year 2. Herman is doing just that right now. Alabama finished 12-2 in Saban's 2nd year, the season ended with two straight losses to Florida (SEC championship game) and Utah (Sugar Bowl) but it was still a get the plane off the ground season. That season had a 14 point win over a 2-10 Tulane, a 3 point win over a 7-6 Kenutcky,  a 6 point OT win over an 8-5 LSU, and a 4 point win over an 8-5 Ole Miss. Nobody gives a shit about that now. Herman is an introverted asshole, once the plane is in the air full speed ahead we will start kicking peoples asses.

I did the same comparison to Alabama's season in the "Dan Neil Culture" thread, and I completely agree.  These guys were happy as hell that they held on to beat Baylor and so was I.  This isn't the year for style points, there isn't a player on this team that had won more than 3 games in a row before this season.  Hell, the long drought has made this one of the best Texas Football seasons for me already.

Since this is supposed to be the Sam thread, I will say that the progression he made from costing us at the end of big games to the guy with the most passes without an interception is amazing.  It is a testament to the coaching that this staff provides.

Happy days are here again, and Sam will be on the Heisman watch list to start next year.  It is nice to see all of the sports networks talking about us in a way that doesn't make me want to throw the remote at my TV.

• Like 2

I saw him rolling his shoulder when it happened. Figured he was probably fixing to come out. Still can’t believe that the fools calling the game didn’t notice it.

They didn’t notice a lot unless it was something to do with the rapists.

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

lulwat?  He was running the ball.  If you don't want your qb to get hit, don't treat him like a fullback

No way, holy shit, I never knew that was the answer...

It's a part of his game. QBs across the country run, Trace McSorley ran the the ball 25 times against Ohio State and that little squirt survived. It is football, injuries happen. You can get hurt in the pocket, just look at Alan Bowman, maybe he should have ran.

Edited by Texas25
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

No way, holy shit, I never knew that was the answer...

It's a part of his game. QBs across the country run, Trace McSorley ran the the ball 25 times against Ohio State and that little squirt survived. It is football, injuries happen. You can get hurt in the pocket, just look at Alan Bowman, maybe he should have ran.

Should have run.  Sorry, not sorry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

So the Baylor fuck goes in with his helmet to smack Sam's throwing shoulder and doesn't even get flagged, not to mention getting tossed for targeting?

Am I understanding this correctly?

#fuckrapeaggie

Yeah I’m going to go ahead and conclude that this is football, and you take the sprained shoulder. Pussy. 

Even though there may be reports next week that Sam is engaging in “light throwing” and ”he’s taking some reps as he’s being evaluated by the team medical staff, “ I suspect we won’t know anything until about 7:01 Saturday night, when ”I’m a (Mullet) Man!” and the rest of the Cowboys find out who’s playing. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 3:24 PM, Napoleon said:

So the Baylor fuck goes in with his helmet to smack Sam's throwing shoulder and doesn't even get flagged, not to mention getting tossed for targeting?

Am I understanding this correctly?

#fuckrapeaggie

This read like a texags postgame temper tantrum. Man up. He got hit. It happens.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Another way to look at that is every team except ND and Texas has an elite (Top 10) offense OR defense, and ND gets mighty close with the #12 defense (adjusted points per possession).  Alabama, LSU, and Michigan are elite on both sides of the ball.  Georgia essentially is.  Texas is not even in the conversation on offense or defense, and those stats are largely based off Sam's efforts, not Shane's.  It only gets worse with Shane.

I think anyone arguing with simply disagrees with the modifier 'nowhere' close

It’d be dangerous to start Shane or a freshman on the road. I don’t care how bad OSU is - they will be better against us coming off their own bye. There is validity to starting Shane but he ought to have a very short leash.

And our D doesn’t need to give up points for the 6th time on 8 opening drives. 4 of the 5 opening drives have been TDs and TCU was a FG. Love Orlando’s adjustments; I hate the opening scores and if Sam isn’t starting that is the last thing we need on the road. 

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don’t really understand this. If he’s pain-free enough to come in in relief then he’ll be starting the game.

The notion that this team can afford Shane starting when Sam is largely healthy is retarded. Slightly contradictory to my earlier comments but I’ve had a few beers and am in my right mind. 

5 hours ago, CastHorn said:

He threw a pretty decent pass to LJH after the injury. Had plenty of velocity. I think he’ll be fine but I wouldn’t play him in Stillwater to be safe. 

So you think we win in stillwater with out Sam. I would love to believe we've come this far as a program, but I live in the real world.

• Like 1