Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

This is a big year for Sam. He gets a marquee game early against LSU. Here is where we find out if replacing Vahe, Rodriguez and Beck, who was credited as a good run blocker was successful. Not to mention bringing a better run game from the RB position. Then of course is the eight starters on defense, whose replacements will get tested early. Having a decent running game will help Sam tremendously.

Im going to guess LSU as a team has good players, but is hard to gage from week to week how well they will perform. They can be terribly inconsistent. And if coach O brings the same effort that they put into beating a wounded UCF team, Texas wins by double digits.

Winning that game however puts Texas in Dallas undefeated. And the pressure will ratchet up ten fold. Beat OU and the skys the limit. Along with the playoff talk that would surely follow. But a word of caution. With that success comes expectations. No longer will he enjoy the reduced pressure of being the underdog. He will have to learn to be the front runner favorite, and be exposed to the media blitz that goes along with that. To perform under that scrutiny feeling like you have to please others can be difficult. All while answering the same dumb ass questions from the media hundreds of times.

This could very well be a magical season if Texas finds quality replacements, stays healthy, and gets a bounce or two to go our way for a change. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

What Sam fails to mention is said company is paying for his college education, his room and board, his membership to a state of the art gym, free access to top notch personal training, free access to medical care, free access to dietitians, free air travel around the US, free shit in late December or early January, free apparel and gear, free tutors, a stipend, etc.

And you get all that whether or not you are actually good at your internship. 

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What Sam fails to mention is said company is paying for his college education, his room and board, his membership to a state of the art gym, free access to top notch personal training, free access to medical care, free access to dietitians, free air travel around the US, free shit in late December or early January, free apparel and gear, free tutors, a stipend, etc.

Yeah fuck this kid 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

your troll attempt is lame.

You should tweet at Sam to shut up and play football if you're so impassioned about the matter. 

Sorry, I'm just a proponent of 21 year old college students being able to stand up for what they think is right. Whether they are right or not. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Do they have to be enrolled in Summer School to also travel during the summertime, or is it included?

Edited by JohnnyRage

On 2/27/2019 at 5:51 PM, BurntBlood said:

Tenacity. Strength. Sheer will. Overcoming adversity. These are values that for Sam were born not on, but off the field. He has brought these values back to Texas in a time when they were sorely needed, and with them, will now look to bring Texas back to glory.

Friendly advice: turn your sound up. A lot.

Took me about 3 weeks of on and off work as I was trying my best to tell the full story of Sam's impact on the program.

If this video sucks, I apologize. I tried my best to make something different than the usual cookie cutter hype video.

Texas SEC good, Georgia not so much.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Yeah, most people aren’t going to feel sorry for them. College football will go on without those players. Big schools can trot out a shit product and people are going to watch. People are fans of the school, and in some cases the actual players.

I think revenue generating sports look at it differently compared to those sports that don’t.

• Like 1

I root for Texas, not the individual players. I like Sam because he plays for Texas. If he didn’t, I’d be rooting for a Texas team being led by a different QB.

If I root for Texas and we lose because the QB sucks, can I get at least a partial refund from him?  I know I could stop supporting the school financially, but I still like the school and team. 

• Like 3

There's no reason why schools can't share more of the profits with students. Increase the stipends, create a fund that you receive at the end of your playing time-- can be used for grad school or whatever you want, or maybe some cash and some guaranteed grad school tuition. When their coaches are making millions a year, these players are getting screwed. 

44 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

There's no reason why schools can't share more of the profits with students. Increase the stipends, create a fund that you receive at the end of your playing time-- can be used for grad school or whatever you want, or maybe some cash and some guaranteed grad school tuition. When their coaches are making millions a year, these players are getting screwed. 

There is a reason.  Schools are required to fund chuck sports.  Which is where a lot of that money goes.  Most schools athletic departments are in the red.  

• Like 2

Free education, free access to facilities, free travel.....fuck off. That shit is not free. These kids put their bodies and in some cases their lives on the line for those things and your entertainment.
I really don’t know if they should be paid or not but stop the bullshit “but free stuff” argument.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, drifter379 said:

Free education, free access to facilities, free travel.....fuck off. That shit is not free. These kids put their bodies and in some cases their lives on the line for those things and your entertainment.
I really don’t know if they should be paid or not but stop the bullshit “but free stuff” argument.

Beat me to it. Ain't nothin' free, it's all part of the package. Whether volunteer players need or deserve more in the way of recompense is another matter entirely, but prohibiting them from making money in the side by certain means just is not Right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xian said:

Let the kids make money off their names. 

Not like they are asking UT to put up more cash. 

Now that would be an interesting  option for the players to strive for....... generating their own individual endorsement contracts.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

There is a reason.  Schools are required to fund chuck sports.  Which is where a lot of that money goes.  Most schools athletic departments are in the red.  

I think this is the main impediment.  If you start paying the players, only a relative handful of college football programs could do that and still operate in the black, and the current gap between the haves and have-nots will become a grand canyon.  I wish there was an equitable way to compensate the players (also not agreeing with the "free education and other stuff" argument), but a lot of smart people have been looking at this issue for years (like Jay Bilas) and I haven't heard a proposal that really works.

It’s a structural and pragmatic issue. Texas and Bama would love to let kids market their likenesses. Eastern Washington maybe not so much. Before you can agree to let players be payed by third party X, you first have to permit the idea of third party payments to players/ recruits at all. Maybe the AAF and/or other minor leagues can help the problem. Minor leagues offer a more traditional employee relationship for those whose skills and inclination lead them to think they are more football interns/ players than students. If they wish to play football, sign up for a minor league. If they wish to play school, apply for the same spots available to the rest of the world. If they prefer the unpaid internship, pick up the phone when BC calls.

tldr: Sam has a legit opinion, but the current league structure makes it a tough one to implement.

3 hours ago, horncyclist said:

Sam's not asking for that. He just wants to profit off his likeness.

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah and he potentially can be a hero and famous if he does great. It is not a perfect metaphor.

However, I am not unsympathetic to his point. And giving the players control over their own image might be one way to get around certain things like schools then being required to pay olympic sports athletes in the name of fairness or something.

Personally I just wish everything was like baseball and the people who want to be paid can just go pro and the people who want to "play school" can come here.

Edited by Valmy77

2 hours ago, drifter379 said:

Which is part of the agreement when they agree to play football in college. Tell you what, pay the players but take away all their comps and make them pay for it themselves from their stipend just like every other kid at Texas not on an academic scholarship. The fact, that kids say pay us, when they are already getting close to a million dollar investment in them over 5 years shows they lack a complete understanding of economics.

• Like 1

Only a small percentage of players have a lot of value in their likeness, and even then much of that is attributable to the name on the front of the jersey. 

Sam Ehlinger as an AAF or minor league QB couldn't give his autograph away or sell a jersey.  But he sure could as the University of Texas QB.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I think this is the main impediment.  If you start paying the players, only a relative handful of college football programs could do that and still operate in the black, and the current gap between the haves and have-nots will become a grand canyon.  I wish there was an equitable way to compensate the players (also not agreeing with the "free education and other stuff" argument), but a lot of smart people have been looking at this issue for years (like Jay Bilas) and I haven't heard a proposal that really works.

It's an easy, two part fix.

First, set up a NCAA wide fund that TV revenue goes into. Each athlete gets a certain $ figure per semester they are an athlete. You can even give bonuses for graduating in 5 years or less or each semester they maintain a certain GPA to reward those athletes who take the "student" part more seriously than others. Make it an NCAA operated fund, not operated by the schools.

Next, allow players to profit off of their likeness. Again, that doesn't come from the school - that comes from the third party. Apparel companies, etc. To make sure that there are rules in place, there would need to be only certain companies that have a contact with the NCAA to do this, rather than allowing Red McCombs to make all 85 scholarship football players "paid spokesmen" or to keep Papa John from paying the entire Louisville basketball team to be "brand ambassadors" or the like. But again, this doesn't need to come from the schools themselves. 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Only a small percentage of players have a lot of value in their likeness, and even then much of that is attributable to the name on the front of the jersey. 

Sam Ehlinger as an AAF or minor league QB couldn't give his autograph away or sell a jersey.  But he sure could as the University of Texas QB.

If minor leagues start paying guys right out of HS and all the best talent ends up going there, UT’s football revenue would drop dramaticlally. Loyalty to the school is a big driver of revenue, but college football being the de facto minor league system for the most popular sport in the country also has a lot to do with it. 

The reality is that UT wouldn’t generate nearly as much revenue without players of Sam’s caliber and Sam wouldn’t generate as much revenue in the AAF. But if the AAF or some other league becomes the destination for all the top HS athletes ten to twenty years from now and those guys get paid and can profit off their likeness, who would be in a worse spot compared to where they are now, the star QB or UT? 

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, hornian said:

It's an easy, two part fix.

First, set up a NCAA wide fund that TV revenue goes into. Each athlete gets a certain $ figure per semester they are an athlete. You can even give bonuses for graduating in 5 years or less or each semester they maintain a certain GPA to reward those athletes who take the "student" part more seriously than others. Make it an NCAA operated fund, not operated by the schools.

Next, allow players to profit off of their likeness. Again, that doesn't come from the school - that comes from the third party. Apparel companies, etc. To make sure that there are rules in place, there would need to be only certain companies that have a contact with the NCAA to do this, rather than allowing Red McCombs to make all 85 scholarship football players "paid spokesmen" or to keep Papa John from paying the entire Louisville basketball team to be "brand ambassadors" or the like. But again, this doesn't need to come from the schools themselves. 

So youreasy fix is to take revenue away from college athletics programs—many of which are already in the negative due to floating other sports programs by federal mandate—without lowering their expenses, and also put all that money into a fund operated by one of the worst run organizations in the country? 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

What do you think it ends up being hourly at Texas?

Remember, these guys put a ton of hours in to keep that scholarship. Gameday, travel, practices, film, recovery, team events, weight room, conditioning, agility, tutoring, class, studying (all to stay eligible, remember a 15 hour schedule, by rule of thumb, is basically a 45 hour a week job), hosting other players, etc.....

Collegiate sports was never meant to support a billion dollar industry.

2 hours ago, drifter379 said:

The "but free stuff" argument has a lot more merit than the "zomg they're being exploited!" argument.  I don't have a problem with them getting a taste of the profits being made off of their likeness, but give me a fucking break with the "they put their bodies and lives on the line for your entertainment" horseshit.  They're putting their bodies on the line because they LOVE playing this game.  They're free at any time to quit playing and head down to the bursar's office with their checkbook.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TriStone said:

They're free at any time to quit playing and head down to the bursar's office with their checkbook.

not if they want to continue playing for a shot at the NFL, there is no other real alternative or proven path to the NFL

hence his comparison to an internship

Edited by pacman

I was replying directly to drifter's comment, "These kids put their bodies and in some cases their lives on the line for those things and your entertainment."  As if it's some bloodsport they're forced into playing.  To your point, the vast majority of these kids sign on to the deal knowing full well they have ZERO shot at the NFL, but they play anyway.  They're playing it because they love to play.