Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

34 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

The part of that play that I liked was his immediate response to run into the area that the rusher had vacated.  There was no hesitation.  I imagine he has studied enough film to know that there would be lots of daylight there.  It was like "ok, gonna try to get me, then I'll just take this what you left open."

Sam has a habit of doing the spin move to his left side. Earlier in the season he did the same move right into a defender a couple of times. 

20 hours ago, Constant said:

Eh, you gotta poke the bear every now and again. I’ll let the OSU guys kiss y’alls ass. I can respect his play and make fun of him at the same time. 

Jeez your team is so dominant and successful. How many playoff wins do you have? Enjoy this offseason bc next year will be rough for you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

The biggest thing I want to see Sam improve on after this off-season is his deep ball accuracy, especially in the middle of the field. Once he can consistently connect on those throws he will be fucking lethal.

And that touchdown play where we toss it over the middle to the tight end that is wide open. 

• Like 4

On 1/9/2019 at 3:49 PM, USNALonghorn said:

The biggest thing I want to see Sam improve on after this off-season is his deep ball accuracy, especially in the middle of the field. Once he can consistently connect on those throws he will be fucking lethal.

Assuming Burt will get more playing time this year, this would be a big plus.  Both him and Duverney are burners we can't fully utilize until deep ball accuracy improves.  We've actually gotten to the point on oline where these routes have time to develop, too. 

I think his mid range passes need more work to truly take the next step. Hitting those 15-25 yard throws in Windows is huge for the offense moving forward.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluto said:

The Herbert love is mind blowing. His stats werent better than sam and his OOC was putrid too. It seems like his Stanford game made him b/c ain't shit outside of that. 

But I think he'll continue to benefit by a down Pac 12 in 2019, so I'm guessing he'll still be part of the Heisman hype.

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Assuming Burt will get more playing time this year, this would be a big plus.  Both him and Duverney are burners we can't fully utilize until deep ball accuracy improves.  We've actually gotten to the point on oline where these routes have time to develop, too. 

Back shoulder fade is showing a lot of promise, like that 35 yarder to CJ in the Sugar Bowl.  Burt also has a huge catch radius like CJ to make this a forgiving throw.  The place that needs the most work is the deep middle throws like skinny post and seam routes.  But it's not as if CBs are able to squat on short routes to the outside against Texas now.

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Someone can probably verify that Sam throws just about every day to all receivers available. He's not one slack off on any shortcomings he may have.

Hook em!

The Fields and Kendall odds prove that the Heisman is a farce. Those are based on their being the Ohio State and possibly being the Oklahoma quarterback next year. The fact they are listed with odds that high based purely on the position and program is basically proof that it's not about being the most outstanding player but is more about putting up the biggest stats and having the best teammates while playing a premium position.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The Fields and Kendall odds prove that the Heisman is a farce. Those are based on their being the Ohio State and possibly being the Oklahoma quarterback next year. The fact they are listed with odds that high based purely on the position and program is basically proof that it's not about being the most outstanding player but is more about putting up the biggest stats and having the best teammates while playing a premium position.

So are you suggesting that they fix the grading or do away with the award altogether? You could literally spend all day arguing how statistics in sports are meaningless due to apples/oranges comparisons. Qualitative comparisons can be just as arbitrary.

I would prefer it if the voters actually voted for who they thought the best player in the country is, at any position. Instead they just mindlessly vote for a QB putting up numbers on a winning team. There should be dozens of players getting votes if the voters actually voted how they thought and not based on...um...whatever it is that makes a QB putting up numbers on a winning team automatically the best player.

Or I guess a skill position offensive player as every once in awhile a non-QB wins it, but even that is super rare.

I mean there is no rule against the best player in the country being a lineman for a non-winning team, but there might as well be. Why? I have no idea.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eggo said:

So are you suggesting that they fix the grading or do away with the award altogether? You could literally spend all day arguing how statistics in sports are meaningless due to apples/oranges comparisons. Qualitative comparisons can be just as arbitrary.

I don't care if the award continues to exist, I am merely explaining why I don't give a shit about it and never will again.

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

It would be kind of cool if it were remotely possible for a non QB or RB to win it.  It's certainly a sham of an award branded as a best overall player when only two positions can win it.

Hell it is noteworthy when a non-QB or non-RB even get votes.

28 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I would prefer it if the voters actually voted for who they thought the best player in the country is, at any position. Instead they just mindlessly vote for a QB putting up numbers on a winning team. There should be dozens of players getting votes if the voters actually voted how they thought and not based on...um...whatever it is that makes a QB putting up numbers on a winning team automatically the best player.

Or I guess a skill position offensive player as every once in awhile a non-QB wins it, but even that is super rare.

I mean there is no rule against the best player in the country being a lineman for a non-winning team, but there might as well be. Why? I have no idea.

Last defensive player to win was Charles Woodson in 1997.  The last non-QB, non-RB offensive player was Desmond Howard in 1991.  Both got plus points for special teams play.  I think the last player for an unranked team to win was George Rogers in 1980.  The Heisman has been screwed up for a long, long time.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

....or, it's a ploy by the Sports Books to separate dumbass Sooners and Buckeyes from their money.

• Like 1