Who are your top 3 realistic choices to replace Herman?

Beau Vine

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Any former Leach Tech coach will do

how about the pirate himself? We might not win everything but at least it'd be amusing.

and games vs Tech would be hilarious, we could put up signs of craig james with red lines through em

Edited by Rimbo

On 9/13/2018 at 4:52 PM, Casual Encounter said:

Would Texas even hire Carroll, given his recruiting scandal at USC?

No Pete Carroll....(repeat) No Pete Carroll

"Pete Carroll says Seahawks QB Russell Wilson is ‘over-trying,’  (smh)

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/pete-carroll-says-seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-is-over-trying-plus-injury-updates-and-more/

Shouldn't Littrell have to accomplish a little more than beating the socks off Arkansas once? He has done a decent turnaround job but needs a few more years of work imo. What do you know about him that you would put his name out there? 

Also, he is a multigeneration Sooner. His family has 3 MNC rings.

This is the same thinking that landed us Herman..

Fleck? Why? because he had a tv show and said something cool? One good season at WMU, where he lost the one good game he played?

Edited by pacman
  • Like 2

Holgerson and Gundy would kill it at Texas if they could survive the administration and handle all the baggage and extra responsibilities that comes with the Texas job. 

IMO the only thing keeping those coaches  from reaching greatness where they are now is the ability to consistently recruit elite talent and depth, especially on the defensive side of the ball. They would get that here. 

On 9/19/2018 at 2:00 PM, NoRagrets said:

we've got Herman and Sam through 2020.

Herman, more than likely.  But Sam?  His injuries last season show he's vulnerable.  He's a good shot away from missing games.  This isn't unique to Sam, which is why having your backup's ready to go is so important.  My question is whether we'd see Shane?  Or one of then younger pups?

Reading this thread makes me hate mensa less with who y'all are throwing out there. If we're moving on it better be someone who has already won at this level, recruit like a madman and hire coaches that can do both coaching and recruiting. So far only Pete Carroll fits that bill and I'm not sure how I feel about all that. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

All of y'all naming up-and-comers like Littrell are out of your minds.  Herman had essentially the perfect rising star resume.  If our next coaching search happens soon, we are going to have to go the aggy route and money whip an established name.  We will not risk hiring another Herman, most likely with a worse resume.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 6:50 PM, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Out of curiosity, why does anyone think that Orlando should/could take over? His defense mainly appears decent only in comparison to the offense.

I haven't proposed Orlando, but the thinking is probably that (a) his defense was good to very good last year, particularly compared to the Texas D a year prior...this idea would be that Orlando would ensure that one side of the ball is "locked down," or at least never a disaster (of course, we thought that about Strong and Herman too); and (b) it would allow some program continuity in that (presumably) the defensive staff would remain in place. 

All that said, although I like Orlando, I hardly see him as a sure-fire good HC. 

5 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

All of y'all naming up-and-comers like Littrell are out of your minds.  Herman had essentially the perfect rising star resume.  If our next coaching search happens soon, we are going to have to go the aggy route and money whip an established name.  We will not risk hiring another Herman, most likely with a worse resume.

An established name doesn't guarantee success.  How many "established" names are out there that would actually come here?  As said before, OU has not done too bad with their last 2 hires.  Both coordinators.  I don't mind an up and comer as long as they recruit and use personnel properly.  Tall task I know, but herman refuses to adjust.  His way regardless. I am thinking there are several on this board that could do just as good as him.  Hermans resume consisted of beating OU.  Period.  

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, tonedeaf said:

An established name doesn't guarantee success.  How many "established" names are out there that would actually come here?  As said before, OU has not done too bad with their last 2 hires.  Both coordinators.  I don't mind an up and comer as long as they recruit and use personnel properly.  Tall task I know, but herman refuses to adjust.  His way regardless. I am thinking there are several on this board that could do just as good as him.  Hermans resume consisted of beating OU.  Period.  

That's absolutely retarded. 

They lost one game in 2015 in a monsoon at UConn when their starting QB went out with an injury.  And they beat a top 15 FSU team in 2015 in the Peach Bowl.  Including FSU, they beat 4 top 25 teams that year.

In 2016, they beat #3 OU (as you mentioned) and curbstomped a #3 ranked Lamar Jackson-led Louisville team 36-10Jackson went on to win the Heisman that year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

I realize that there are definitely up-and-comers that can be successful.  I'm saying that there is 0.0% chance our administration will take a chance on another one after the last two failures.

And I'm as down on his job here as anyone, but any new up-and-coming coach will have a worse resume than: a conference championship, 24-4 record, Peach Bowl win, 6-0 record vs. ranked opponents, recruiting success, etc.  Saying his resume was just a win vs. OU is insane. 

Everything about Herman's past says he should be successful here.  If he fails, the only red flag (before the hire) was a lack of experience at the highest level.  Which is why we will go after someone established next.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 3

My point was the OU game was what got him so enamored with Texas fans that some couldn't wait for CS to fail so we could hire this dip shit.  The other games notwithstanding, it was the OU game (not the SMU game) that everybody pointed to.  Hire TH.  He will make OU his bitch.  He did worse at UH in his second year.  Rumor has it he thought his QB ran too much, so he cut that out.  Don't know bout that.  We'll find out in a few weeks if he is gonna make OU his bitch.  Hook'em. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

My point was the OU game was what got him so enamored with Texas fans that some couldn't wait for CS to fail so we could hire this dip shit.  The other games notwithstanding, it was the OU game (not the SMU game) that everybody pointed to.  Hire TH.  He will make OU his bitch.  He did worse at UH in his second year.  Rumor has it he thought his QB ran too much, so he cut that out.  Don't know bout that.  We'll find out in a few weeks if he is gonna make OU his bitch.  Hook'em. 

He was in state, at a smaller school with more limited resources, recruiting above his pay grade, convincingly winning multiple games against top 25 opponents who our team at the time wouldn't have been competitive against. 

Add to that, he has history here and it was widely rumored we were his dream job. 

Beating ou didn't hurt, but there are plenty of reasons he got attention here. 

6 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Pretty much where I’m at.

6 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Reading this thread makes me hate mensa less with who y'all are throwing out there. If we're moving on it better be someone who has already won at this level, recruit like a madman and hire coaches that can do both coaching and recruiting. So far only Pete Carroll fits that bill and I'm not sure how I feel about all that. 

Maybe Stoops just had Urban Meyer levels of health concerns.  I’d take him before Carrroll’s old ass.

13 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Jesus christ....

You're an aggie troll.  Because only Aggy conjures up in their heads that simply beating a rival (see that as us) salvages a season.  Texas fans pointed to his QB "whispering" with tOSU.  A position we have shit the bed for the better part of a decade and the most important position on the field.  We pointed out his ability to recruit.  His ties to the state and the university.  And most importantly, his record against ranked teams.  I was thrilled he beat OU.  Guess what troll, I was also thrilled when TCU did it multiple times.  Do I want Paterson as a coach.  Damn right.  Is his record against OU the deciding factor?  Of course not. 

And wanting Charlie to fail?  Aggie troll slip #2.  Fans want to win.  If this is a veiled hint that Texas didn't want a black coach.  You can go fuck yourself.  Texas fans want to win.  We've been wandering the wilderness for too damn long. 

If Hillary Clinton and Melania both said fuck it, dropped their husbands, and rattled off multiple MNC titles, I'd be out on bail right now because all the RING's in the neighborhood would have footage of me jerking off in the middle of the street covered in orange fucking paint.  Just fucking win.  White.  Black.  Fat.  That three-tittied hooker from Total Recall.  I.  Don't.  Care!

• Like 2