Remembering hearing wildly racist stuff from regular folks

Brisketexan

I actually don't even know what "racist" means these days. My experience was different than many. I grew up behind the Pine Curtain in a town that was about 50-50 white-black ... Back then there were few Asians or Mexicans. Sure we heard racial epithets on both sides, but no one really cared what color you were. My sainted mother would say the N-word but had no problem with my black friend having sleep overs in first grade. Black guys on the football team would call me "hockey," but I never really thought they were big racists.

Ive heard the usuals mentioned above. Not sure if its been said, but the indian blanket flowers or whatever called n*gger heads.
And the joke of why do brothers like pontiacs? Poor Old N*gger Thinks Its A Cadillac.

Im mexican, and heard n+gger used lots growing up here in central texas. Also wetbacks, mojados, messcan boy.

16 hours ago, Liteitup said:

So was I the only one to get the Little Black Sambo book for Christmas?

I'm 60 and agree with Pops above, we just didn't know any better.

I grew up on that book, lol. My grandmother sent it to my son for his first birthday, and my English ex was mortified, but for different reasons than we are here. The book is actually racist against Indians, not Africans. Tigers turning into butter out front should o' told ya. Shit, I guess I should have spoilered that. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

I was codriving a tour bus with my dad taking a group of school aged archers from podunk town North Dakota to Louisville for a national archery contest.

a set of parents & grand parents were in a car behind our bus the entire way, probably a 17 hour drive. Anyway, we were at a truck stop on 90 right when you enter Illinois and we were talking to these people about bypassing Chicago entirely but theyll have to stop and pay the tolls while the bus is equipped with an I-Pass. The old grandpa in the car convoy just out of no where says "good...Chicagos one of them n*gger towns anyways, same with Milwaukee". I dont think theres a black person in this town that this group is out of anyways so not sure why he hates the blacks. My dad and i were took back by it, kinda laughed it off but back on the bus we were both "holy shit..."

on the way back the black lives matter people were protesting a killing in Minneapolis on the interstates. Same guy asked how we were going to go through Minneapolis. We tell him and itll be like 3AM when we go through. "Maybe them n*ggers will all be done walking around the highways by then".

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Growing up in San Antonio I was exposed to all these gradients of social status.  In addition to the N's, Spics, and Wetbacks there were  Polacks, Jews, and white trash were on the list too. There are scenes in "The Bad News Bears" that really resonate with me.  It was strange in that the whole community could have a stigma but "those Jews down the street are nice" might be something I'd hear, or "that is a nice black man".  Usually about someone that my Uncle did business with.  

A few things about San Antonio that I think affected my perspective.

1. San Antonio was always heavily Hispanic but there was a big divide between those who had lived here for a few generations and the "wetbacks".  It didn't even matter if the "wetbacks" had a higher standard of living or were upwardly mobile.  I think this was seen on the east coast within communities of European immigrants too.

2. Not many African-Americans.  In parts of town you might only have 1 student in a whole school and these were just lower middle class areas.  I remember usually having more Asians than blacks in school and their numbers were usually single digit.  Numbers were higher around the military bases.

3. San Antonio had a crazy immigration past with large numbers of Germans, Poles, Czech, Italian, Belgian, and others who mixed with the people moving west from the original US Colonies that were mostly Anglo, Scots and Irish.  Add in the large population of Spanish/Mexican that were already there and it was similar to New Orleans in being a very diverse population.  I heard a lot of different languages growing up, not just English and Spanish.

4. Military community - Takes the diversity thing to the next level in some ways.

I think the terms used for the Lesbian & Gay community were the ones that actually stood out more to me looking back.  There seemed to be much more aggression aimed at those communities than at racial groups.

Smear the queer, Gay jumpings, (another term I forget), bull/butch dykes, faggot and other terms seemed to be used in a much more hateful way than the race terms.

In elementary school I did not know what a queer was, just thought it was the guy with the football on the playground.

4 hours ago, TexasEd said:

In elementary school I did not know what a queer was, just thought it was the guy with the football on the playground.

We used to sing this in Parochial School music class, it was printed in the book and everything!

Girls: Reuben, Reuben, I've been thinking
What a queer world this would be
If the men were all transported
Far beyond the Northern Sea!
Boys: Rachel, Rachel, I've been thinking
If the girls were all transported

Some later versions substitute "strange" for "queer" but even then we snickered at this, and like, we were eight.

33 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

We used to sing this in Parochial School music class, it was printed in the book and everything!

Girls: Reuben, Reuben, I've been thinking
If the men were all transported
Boys: Rachel, Rachel, I've been thinking
If the girls were all transported

Some later versions substitute "strange" for "queer" but even then we snickered at this, and like, we were eight.

Yeah smear the queer in elementary school had little meaning other than being the name of the game, and you tackled the kid with the ball.

We used the word homo in elementary school but I think we used it like you were a complete goober, kind of a mamas boy.  That changed when I started watching  All In The Family.

Something my Grandmother used to say (mind you she grew up in Mississippi and came to Texas in a covered wagon) "That's cuter than a little baby N-----." On the bright side, she thought infant black kids were just about the cutest things she ever saw and it was high praise.

I was flying from JFK back to Austin a couple of weeks ago. Through security, waiting for my backpack to come through the X-Ray, I see a white woman getting the pat down treatment from the TSA. That shit pisses me off so I probably had an irritated look on my face. Guy next to me apparently noticed because he struck up conversation with me about it.

Guy: "I can't believe they are doing that to her."

Me: "Yeah, I hate that. They are just doing their job, I guess, but still."

Guy: "I know, especially to HER. I'm all about them doing it, but let's make sure we get the right people, you know what I mean?"

Me: "Uhhh, I'm sorry, what?"

He started to try to explain himself but I saw my bag so I grabbed it and GTFO without really listening. I was really taken aback that someone would be so comfortable expressing blatantly racist sentiments to a stranger in a crowded public place. I am sure the people immediately around us heard him. In hindsight I should have pressed him, at the very least maybe he would think twice about saying that shit out loud. Human beings are trash.

Heard Italians referred to as spaghetti n*gger recently. 

And this thread reminded me of one more, which I actually find humorous, as the comedy bit (Chapelle maybe?) touches about watermelon and fried chicken. Something is wrong with YOU, not me,  if you don’t like watermelon and fried chicken.   Anyhow, a watermelon being referred to as a n*gger pickle.  I haven’t heard that in the wild since college, though. 

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I was flying from JFK back to Austin a couple of weeks ago. Through security, waiting for my backpack to come through the X-Ray, I see a white woman getting the pat down treatment from the TSA. That shit pisses me off so I probably had an irritated look on my face. Guy next to me apparently noticed because he struck up conversation with me about it.

Guy: "I can't believe they are doing that to her."

Me: "Yeah, I hate that. They are just doing their job, I guess, but still."

Guy: "I know, especially to HER. I'm all about them doing it, but let's make sure we get the right people, you know what I mean?"

Me: "Uhhh, I'm sorry, what?"

He started to try to explain himself but I saw my bag so I grabbed it and GTFO without really listening. I was really taken aback that someone would be so comfortable expressing blatantly racist sentiments to a stranger in a crowded public place. I am sure the people immediately around us heard him. In hindsight I should have pressed him, at the very least maybe he would think twice about saying that shit out loud. Human beings are trash.

What are the odds a rando white chick is doing terrorism?

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Heard Italians referred to as spaghetti n*gger recently. 

And this thread reminded me of one more, which I actually find humorous, as the comedy bit (Chapelle maybe?) touches about watermelon and fried chicken. Something is wrong with YOU, not me,  if you don’t like watermelon and fried chicken.   Anyhow, a watermelon being referred to as a n*gger pickle.  I haven’t heard that in the wild since college, though. 

I've been avoiding this thread, b/c I am not proud of where I came from as far as race.

I remember my Grandfather calling the black guys helping him out of the car at the Abilene County Club "boy".  That was my first realization of racism as a kid in elementary school. 

My dad wasn't a really a racist, but he had a property management company in Austin until he passed in the 80's.  I would go around to his properties with him on the east side as he collected rent for his owners.  I remember him telling me there were (the N word) and black people, meaning, people that paid and didn't.  

I went to Travis Elementary and Fulmore (soon to be renamed) as a kid. My best friends were Hispanic and black.  I remember still my first day at Travis High, and some how over the summer races were divided.  People I knew from Fulmore, they wouldn't talk to me and I wasn't supposed to talk to them.  I don't know what happened over that summer.   I was a kid, so I didn't question it, just went along.  This was around 87 when I was a freshman.  After getting my ass kicked and getting knives pulled on me, my parents moved me Circle C to Bowie High, first graduating class, pretty much  all white. but one of my best friends graduating was black)

I had a guy I worked with at Dell in cubicles.  He told people I was jealous of his wife, I never mad any reference to that.  ( He was black, his wife was white). First time I was called a racist I was like, WTF.

Since then, Austin isn't much of a diverse city.  One of my best friends is Vietnamese.  

I met a black, gay guy a few years back and we became best friends.  He was down on his luck, so I let him live with me for a yr.  That's all I got.

This is the white shaming thread, right?

27 minutes ago, BNB said:

I've been avoiding this thread, b/c I am not proud of where I came from as far as race.

I remember my Grandfather calling the black guys helping him out of the car at the Abilene County Club "boy".  That was my first realization of racism as a kid in elementary school. 

My dad wasn't a really a racist, but he had a property management company in Austin until he passed in the 80's.  I would go around to his properties with him on the east side as he collected rent for his owners.  I remember him telling me there were (the N word) and black people, meaning, people that paid and didn't.  

I went to Travis Elementary and Fulmore (soon to be renamed) as a kid. My best friends were Hispanic and black.  I remember still my first day at Travis High, and some how over the summer races were divided.  People I knew from Fulmore, they wouldn't talk to me and I wasn't supposed to talk to them.  I don't know what happened over that summer.   I was a kid, so I didn't question it, just went along.  This was around 87 when I was a freshman.  After getting my ass kicked and getting knives pulled on me, my parents moved me Circle C to Bowie High, first graduating class, pretty much  all white. but one of my best friends graduating was black)

I had a guy I worked with at Dell in cubicles.  He told people I was jealous of his wife, I never mad any reference to that.  ( He was black, his wife was white). First time I was called a racist I was like, WTF.

Since then, Austin isn't much of a diverse city.  One of my best friends is Vietnamese.  

I met a black, gay guy a few years back and we became best friends.  He was down on his luck, so I let him live with me for a yr.  That's all I got.

This is the white shaming thread, right?

You lost me after you talked about your racist dad and grandpa. 

34 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You lost me after you talked about your racist dad and grandpa. 

So, b/c my grandfather and dad were racist, I can't be non racist? What about I took a Minorities in America class in college.  Does that help.

In my class, my final paper was about I don't think racism will end anytime soon.(10 years ago)  It will take us to continue to procreate with each other. I think some of the most beautiful people in the world are from people procreating between races.  Halle Barry, Dwayne Johnson, Barack Obama, etc...

https://www.ranker.com/list/biracial-celebrities/celebrity-lists

23 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

What are the odds a rando white chick is doing terrorism?

Yeah not really the point... But to answer your question, statistically speaking, very low. Almost zero. Which is true for pretty much everyone in every demographic. FWIW, most domestic terrorism is white dudes.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah not really the point... But to answer your question, statistically speaking, very low. Almost zero. Which is true for pretty much everyone in every demographic. FWIW, most domestic terrorism is white dudes.

I don't know if they still do it, but in the name of political correctness, they used to "randomly select" passengers for the full monte cavity search. That's why you would see grandma handicapped people and three year olds getting the business. And yes, white women too. This was in the days when Norm Mineta was Transpo Secretary, but for all I know they still do it. 

This was an insane process where citizens would have their rights violated without probable cause, and of course the program had zero chance of ever catching a terrorist, since it was entirely random. 

It's not some fucking secret that young muslim males do terrorism. Call me racist if you wish, but facts are facts. It's the prototype government program - everyone gets their rights violated and it's totally ineffective.

Just sayin the dude had an obvious point. Can't say what he really meant.

Racism is bad as fuck. But so is the game we seem to play where we assume the worst about everybody else and what they say. It's like the examples above where people are using bad words but then act cool. If you really take the time to understand most people it's a more complex picture than the simplified structure that gives people their dopamine hit of moral superiority.

Edited by Thetexashammer

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Mohammed Atta says hello.

Or Allah Ackbar if you're into that kind of thing.

20 hours ago, BNB said:

So, b/c my grandfather and dad were racist, I can't be non racist? What about I took a Minorities in America class in college.  Does that help.

In my class, my final paper was about I don't think racism will end anytime soon.(10 years ago)  It will take us to continue to procreate with each other. I think some of the most beautiful people in the world are from people procreating between races.  Halle Barry, Dwayne Johnson, Barack Obama, etc...

https://www.ranker.com/list/biracial-celebrities/celebrity-lists

Is that what you were doing after telling us about your dad and grandpa? Telling us that you're not a racist?

My dad after hearing black people voted 90% D in some election:  "Sounds like only 10% can think for themselves."

My friend's mom after a black guy showed up at the local gym: "One is fine.  But then they'll start thinking it is okay and a bunch will show up."

Those were both a quarter century+ ago but both really were burned in my brain because they seemed so outrageous even as a kid.

I don't know if they still do it, but in the name of political correctness, they used to "randomly select" passengers for the full monte cavity search. That's why you would see grandma handicapped people and three year olds getting the business. And yes, white women too. This was in the days when Norm Mineta was Transpo Secretary, but for all I know they still do it. 
This was an insane process where citizens would have their rights violated without probable cause, and of course the program had zero chance of ever catching a terrorist, since it was entirely random. 
It's not some fucking secret that young muslim males do terrorism. Call me racist if you wish, but facts are facts. It's the prototype government program - everyone gets their rights violated and it's totally ineffective.
Racism is bad as fuck. But so is the game we seem to play where we assume the worst about everybody else and what they say. It's like the examples above where people are using bad words but then act cool. If you really take the time to understand most people it's a more complex picture than the simplified structure that gives people their dopamine hit of moral superiority.

Being there in person I think it was pretty obvious what he was alluding to - not just in tone, but what else could it be?

"It's not some fucking secret that young males do terrorism" is a racially charged, damaging stereotype. It is also factually incorrect that the majority of terrorism fatalities US (miniscule of a number as it is relative to the effort put into stopping them and the amount of harm a stereotype causes a certain population) are caused by Muslim extremists. They aren't. They're caused by white people. Young white guys to be specific. Cool with them screened at the airport. Fuck no. Young Muslim guys? Plenty are. That's the racism.

Don't want to hijack thread so I won't keep beating the drum. Just was crazy to me. /csb.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

It's no secret law enforcement stereotypes the shit out Mexican-looking people when looking to make drug or trafficking stops. So Mexican cartels often employ "gueros" or american white guys and black guys to traffic stuff in trucks for them. The border patrol has wised up to that practice now, but for a while there the cartels wildly exploited a stereotype to their advantage. I see your point, but I fear that terrorist organizations would wise up and do something similar if airports went to full racial based security screening. 

Sometime around 1967 or '68 my family was in Austin shopping from Lexington and we were at Scarborough's Department Store. I think the building is still there - I want to say the SW corner of Congress and Dirty 6th. Anyway my grandmother grabbed my sibs and me and drug us up to the third floor where they had side by side water fountains - one a rusty metal affair and one a gleaming white porcelain model - mounted on the wall.

The signs were long gone, but you could still plainly see where they had hung. She told us the significance of the dual fountains and what the signs had once read and admonished us to never forget what an ugly sight it was.

I never have.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

15 years ago I went to my grandmothers funeral in Alabama. My Aunt (lives in Mississippi) was playing with her new baby granddaughter.

She would tickle her and the baby would giggle and throw her hands up. 

If she tickled one spot the baby would just put one arm up in a nazi like salute. Every time this would happen, my Aunt would yell “white power!”

I sat on thinking that this baby has no fucking chance ...