Talk TCU vs TEXAS

LTtxfan

- If we play like last week, we will win.  TCU hasn't played at that level this year.

- TCU's offense is suspect. Perhaps equal to or worse than ours. 

- The TCU defense is very strong.  Safe to say better than ours.  Better than even we played against USC.

The easiest path to victory is for our offense has to outperform expectations, like it did against USC.   I don't see us winning a defensive/special teams battle.

Edited by JBJ

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

- If we play like last week, we will win.  TCU hasn't played at that level this year.

- TCU's offense is suspect. Perhaps equal to or worse than ours. 

- The TCU defense is very strong.  Safe to say better than ours.  Better than even we played against USC.

The easiest path to victory is for our offense has to outperform expectations, like it did against USC.   I don't see us winning a defensive/special teams battle.

Not sure how you think TCU's offense is suspect.  They put up as many points against Ohio State as we did against Tulsa, including the longest play ever given up in the history of Ohio State football.

10 minutes ago, Nick Nolte said:

Not sure how you think TCU's offense is suspect.  They put up as many points against Ohio State as we did against Tulsa, including the longest play ever given up in the history of Ohio State football.

Oregon State had two 80 yard rushes on that same defense, and scored more points.

Ohio State maybe is the best offense in the country, but top 25 defense? No.

TCU had a good game plan against OSU's defense.  OSU sold out on every play to try to put pressure on Robinson.  Any plays that took longer than about a second, they were in Robinson's face.  But pretty much every play TCU ran was a super quick hitting pass, screen, etc., so Robinson was almost never holding onto the ball.  They were able to move the ball well, but when the field got constricted in the red zone, they suffered because they was so much less space to throw those timing routes.

Orlando's D is going to present a much different test.  Instead of bringing 6+ on every play, Orlando will bring 3-5 per play, counting on coverage to prevent TCU from being able to his those quick rhythm throws.  Will TCU's OL be able to hold up against our 3-5 man rush every play?  Who knows.  The OSU game tells us nothing about this.  That's the real match up of the game, in my mind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JBJ said:

What a parade of responses. 

Look at their offense the past 3 years and tell how this team is not just as bad.

You guys are stuck in 2015, Listenbee and Doctson are long gone.

31 - 9 and 24 - 7 without Listenbee and Doctson.  

Our WRs have improved the last two years (although you guys were the only team to hold Reagor without a catch) and I'd rather have Robinson after 4 games than Kenny Hill at QB.

Serious question -- is your offense better than it was the last two years?  

31 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Orlando's D is going to present a much different test.  Instead of bringing 6+ on every play, Orlando will bring 3-5 per play, counting on coverage to prevent TCU from being able to his those quick rhythm throws.  Will TCU's OL be able to hold up against our 3-5 man rush every play?  Who knows.  The OSU game tells us nothing about this.  That's the real match up of the game, in my mind.

I actually feel pretty good about our ability to apply pressure and get by/through the TCU OL, but I don't feel great at all about our ability to do that effectively and contain Robinson. Hagar is going to have to show he can do more than charge mindlessly into the backfield, or we're going to see them convert a ton of 3rd-and-8s.

Haven't been to a game in maybe 5 years - decided to buy tickets for this weekend. 

I plan on showing up, getting fucked up, and yelling a lot. I definitely don't expect us to win. We need a similar performance against a much, much better team. 

The best shot UT has is making big plays early, getting the crowd going, and making TCU sweat. 

That said - I'd be a little nervous as a Frogs fan and wouldn't take them by more than a touchdown. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Haven't been to a game in maybe 5 years - decided to buy tickets for this weekend. 

I plan on showing up, getting fucked up, and yelling a lot. I definitely don't expect us to win. We need a similar performance against a much, much better team. 

The best shot UT has is making big plays early, getting the crowd going, and making TCU sweat

That said - I'd be a little nervous as a Frogs fan and wouldn't take them by more than a touchdown. 

Nice. I guarantee Gary will be sweating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

TCU had a good game plan against OSU's defense.  OSU sold out on every play to try to put pressure on Robinson.  Any plays that took longer than about a second, they were in Robinson's face.  But pretty much every play TCU ran was a super quick hitting pass, screen, etc., so Robinson was almost never holding onto the ball.  They were able to move the ball well, but when the field got constricted in the red zone, they suffered because they was so much less space to throw those timing routes.

On most of the blitzes, Robinson actually almost immediately throw a fade or go route and let his guy run under it or attempt to draw a PI. He really impressed me this game, bad turnovers notwithstanding. 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

On most of the blitzes, Robinson actually almost immediately throw a fade or go route and let his guy run under it or attempt to draw a PI. He really impressed me this game, bad turnovers notwithstanding. 

That's true, too.  TCU generated a ton of yards against OSU.  Oddly, though, their points came almost entirely off of big plays (Anderson's 90+ yard run; and several deep passes).  Again, I have no idea how good (or not good) TCU's OL is, because they were asked to do very little against OSU's fantastic DL. 

The few times OSU dropped numbers and Robinson was forced to make progressions to find an open man, though, he looked extremely mortal.

NCAA RANKINGS: 

TX           TCU        USC           OSU   

TOTAL D                              63             32          76               51

SCORING D                          58           41           71               45

RUSHING D                          28           52            109             71

PASSING D                         90               44           28            47           

18 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

That's true, too.  TCU generated a ton of yards against OSU.  Oddly, though, their points came almost entirely off of big plays (Anderson's 90+ yard run; and several deep passes).  Again, I have no idea how good (or not good) TCU's OL is, because they were asked to do very little against OSU's fantastic DL. 

The few times OSU dropped numbers and Robinson was forced to make progressions to find an open man, though, he looked extremely mortal.

Right, that especially happened late in the game when TCU was down by two possessions and had to score quickly; Ohio State might be the toughest team in the country to deal with in that situation given their DL and DB talent 

1 hour ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

I actually feel pretty good about our ability to apply pressure and get by/through the TCU OL, but I don't feel great at all about our ability to do that effectively and contain Robinson. Hagar is going to have to show he can do more than charge mindlessly into the backfield, or we're going to see them convert a ton of 3rd-and-8s.

You want him to drive 55?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

NCAA RANKINGS: 

TX           TCU        USC           OSU   

TOTAL D                              63             32          76               51

SCORING D                          58           41           71               45

RUSHING D                          28           52            109             71

PASSING D                         90               44           28            47           

S&P Rankings                 TX         TCU       USC       OSU

Defense                             39           41          15           24    

Offense                             62           27          87           2

Overall                               43           25          39          2

• Like 2

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

S&P Rankings                 TX         TCU       USC       OSU

Defense                             39           41          15           24    

Offense                             62           27          87           2

Overall                               43           25          39          2 

Now my mind is blown.

1 hour ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

Hager will always charge mindlessly into the backfield, it's who he is.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

That he stated: even better than we played against USC is what caught my attention.

Uh, USC has a very shitty defense. 

You may have just read that wrong: TCU's defense on a normal day is better than OUR defense against USC.

Our offenses are about the same, but if we show up running the ball like we did against USC, we have the edge - the Maryland or Tulsa version of ourselves not so much. 

USC's defense is not terrible.  It kept them in the Stanford game.

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Maryland game very much still an issue.  we knew they would suck the rest of the way.  I'm cautiously optimistic because

1. Maryland was at home, the players were emotional playing for their dead teammate and their interim head coach.  That emotion has worn off predictably and now they are the 4-8(5-7 because we failed to beat them) team everyone knew they were.

2. the defense got better last year as it went on and I am hoping that Sam and OL just get better with each new game experience.

the downside is we have shown little consistency against running QB's and TCU has one.

30 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Our offenses are about the same, but if we show up running the ball like we did against USC, we have the edge - the Maryland or Tulsa version of ourselves not so much. 

USC's defense is not terrible.  It kept them in the Stanford game.

On paper they seem similar in terms of yds per game, etc..  The key distinction is they have a defined system than can generate points earlier in the game.  We start out so sloooooooow, get behind the 8-ball, and it snowballs from there.  We can't start slow against this team.  We just can't.  They can and will manufacture points early.  If we can't match, they are going to pin their ears back and shut Sam down.  They can attack the entire field.  Something USC could or would not do.  And their QB, when the pocket breaks down, can make your life miserable with his legs.  

If we can't run the ball.  Maintaining long, sustained drives.  We're going to have to figure a way to keep their very fast defense on the field as long as possible (they are not that big).