Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

29 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Kevin O'Collins, UT class of 2008, Director of Partnerships at VMWare, lives in South Austin.

14 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I didn't just make something up. It's funny you think I did and that I ought to have a cited reference in ALA format for every interaction or conversation that ever takes place. You are a weird autist pedant who probably does notate every interaction, down to wardrobe detail, but that isn't normal and you are gross.

Can i get some context here? You putting private conversations on blast?

I didn't just make something up. It's funny you think I did and that I ought to have a cited reference in ALA format for every interaction or conversation that ever takes place. You are a weird autist pedant who probably does notate every interaction, down to wardrobe detail, but that isn't normal and you are gross.

Your post made no sense. If you are calling out a specific random person for being a hypocrite, at least say that in the first instance. Your post seemed to imply either that (1) if this one random person was a hypocrite, everyone else supporting Beto must be, or (2) that all Beto supporters can be identified together, therefore any two of them espousing differing views is necessarily hypocrisy.  Either conclusion is stupid. Further, your entire premise is flawed. As an example, wearing a shirt supporting the Nazi political party is most certainly a form of hate speech. That does not mean that all political party gear is a form of hate speech. Context matters. 

edit: just to be clear, I don't think MAGA stuff is hate speech. A sign of low education or intelligence? Probably. 

Edited by Dahobbs

So you cited a random Austin person with whom you had contact in your personal life that has no relevance to the conversation on this forum? That's the story you're going with?

The strange hand-waving digression at the end of this post didn't work, by the way. Everyone still realizes what a weird, irrelevant, and pointless post you made.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

lol just stahp, hucklebarry. 

The problem with posting in a forum like this is that people will read your posts. Sometimes people will call you out for telling lies, other times they'll call you out for making pointless and irrelevant posts, and they'll even call you out for using terrible logic. You hit the trifecta with that post and it's probably the right move to start waving the white flag like you are now.

I think you'll find that your bigger issue is that the more you post the more people realize how ignorant you are.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I understand that your MO for everything that ruffles your feathers is "PROVE IT!", and maybe you'll find some posters to take you to task on caring or as anal as you to cite sources, but appealing to legalism and technicality, doesn't make you right.

What is the point of your nonsense? Huckleberry is right. It isn't an appeal to any sort of legal formalism, it is an appeal to ordinary logic and a very low bar of conversational decorum: letting us know if you're referencing facts, other conversations in this thread, or literally just making shit up that has nothing to do with the thread. 

Edited by Dahobbs

52 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I understand that your MO for everything that ruffles your feathers is "PROVE IT!", and maybe you'll find some posters to take you to task on caring or as anal as you to cite sources, but appealing to legalism and technicality, doesn't make you right.

No, an appeal to authority doesn't necessarily make one right, but in this case, he is correct.  You are trying to say if 1 person believes A, then all persons who state competing point B are hypocrites, even if they don't believe point A because 1 person believes A.  Logic doesn't work like that man.  It just doesn't.

Edited by NameAlreadyInUse

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

No I made that fictional profile up; it sounds like an Austin guy though right?

Uh . . .

Edited by Dahobbs

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I don't really react to MAGA gear a hate speech, just as an identifier of an idiot.  Some, I assume, are good people.

Someday I hope to find the good person wearing a MAGA hat. So far.. its been slim pickings.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

You hit the trifecta with that post and it's probably the right move to start waving the white flag like you are now.

So the dude obviously liked fapping...... I think we all can agree that a good fap every now and then is warranted and sometimes necessary. And don't bombard me with how hot your old lady is so you don't fap.... I used to date a runner up miss texas and I still needed some Mano love from time to time. It also appears this guy likes an audience.... for those of us that aren't shy, I'm sure you enjoy an audience from time to time as well..... BUT, it's got to be an audience that is 18 or older and willfully wants to be an audience. I could understand if this dude was pounding it and got walked in on....... it's happened..... but this dude seems like a fucking creeper. Does his wife look like hillary? That why bill gets his hall pass from the left..... "you'd stick cigars up chicks hoohaa's too if your wife looked like a swamp donkey..."

• Like 1

I have a couple friends who used to blow up fb all the time with Cruz stuff throughout the 2016 campaign.  Since the moment he allowed his wife and father to be insulted, and  completely submitted to Trump, they've gone completely silent.  They both happen to be women, so I'm not sure if that plays into it.  But they've continued their silence throughout the senatorial campaign.  They'll both vote for him over Beto, but there's definitely a drop off of enthusiasm.  They're not bringing anyone else to the polls with them as they were in the past.  There's been a huge momentum shift.

3 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Austin guy: Wear your BETO shirt to not only outwardly and visibly share your political affiliations and desires, but also to identify with others and help them know it's okay to think and feel like you do

Austin guy, 2 weeks ago: if you wear a MAGA shirt in public, then it is HATE SPEECH and you deserve to have a DR. Pepper DUMPED on your SKULL!1111

"Wait wait wait, you mean to tell me you think it's ok to wear an anodyne political symbol in public but it's NOT ok to wear a swastika armband in public!? Hypocrite!"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So are people embarrassed about having donated to Cruz, or do they just not care (and so don’t spend the money for the sign).

if they put enough words on a yard sign to convey the rationale behind voting for Cruz, it would look like one of those "In this house we respect human life/believe in science/etc" and that would be gay.

1 minute ago, MidTexHorn said:

This former straight ticket Republican voter just made his first contribution to a political campaign ever for Beto. Also bought a sign, a t shirt and some koozies. I'm in.

The koozie is what encouraged me to fire on a yard sign.

51 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

This former straight ticket Republican voter just made his first contribution to a political campaign ever for Beto. Also bought a sign, a t shirt and some koozies. I'm in.

Hell my hardcore trump supporter dad is gonna vote for beto. Thinks Cruz stabbed trump in the back at the convention and that ted is a weasel anyway, not a real Texan. So maybe there’s hope. 

• Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Hell my hardcore trump supporter dad is gonna vote for beto. Thinks Cruz stabbed trump in the back at the convention and that ted is a weasel anyway, not a real Texan. So maybe there’s hope. 

...dafuq?

I'm a lifelong Republican as is pretty much everyone who I associate with.  (Mostly just because it's a very conservative part of the state)  from talking to people there seems to just be a serious lack of enthusiasm for Cruz this year.  He has never been a terrific candidate but the Democrats have never ran a quality opponent against him.  Simply put Beto fans are much more fired up.  A lot of that is due to backlash against Trump and Cruz, a lot of it is there actually being a chance to win this race unlike in the past.  

Unfortunately many people will vote for Cruz just because all they know is to hit straight R on the ballot.  Same can be said for Beto and the democrats.  Hopefully more people than usual will actually pay attention to what the candidates say/do/represent than in year's past but that is probably asking too much.  As for me I am still undecided but that is mainly because I haven't taken the time to educate myself on who Beto is and what he actually stands for yet.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I'm a lifelong Republican as is pretty much everyone who I associate with.  (Mostly just because it's a very conservative part of the state)  from talking to people there seems to just be a serious lack of enthusiasm for Cruz this year.  He has never been a terrific candidate but the Democrats have never ran a quality opponent against him.  Simply put Beto fans are much more fired up.  A lot of that is due to backlash against Trump and Cruz, a lot of it is there actually being a chance to win this race unlike in the past.  

Unfortunately many people will vote for Cruz just because all they know is to hit straight R on the ballot.  Same can be said for Beto and the democrats.  Hopefully more people than usual will actually pay attention to what the candidates say/do/represent than in year's past but that is probably asking too much.  As for me I am still undecided but that is mainly because I haven't taken the time to educate myself on who Beto is and what he actually stands for yet.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/04/ted-cruz-praises-donald-trump-who-bullied-his-family.html

During the Republican campaign, Donald Trump attacked Ted Cruz’s father and wife and branded him “Lyin’ Ted,” and Cruz attempted to demonstrate his manhood by declaring, “Donald, you sniveling coward.” But times have changed, and now Cruz has been called upon to write a public tribute in Time magazine to the man who bullied him and attacked his family.

In his entry for the magazine’s 100 Most Influential People of 2018, Cruz omits such Trumpian achievements as getting to the bottom of the Kennedy assassination and marrying a hotter babe than Ted Cruz could snag. Instead, he credits Trump with triggering the liberals:

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Probably something to do with what Cruz stands for, or doesn't however you tend to view these things.

Cruz being a shitty guy doesn't mean I wouldn't vote for him over Beto.  Beto could be just as shitty or even worse.  Again I have no fucking clue about Beto since at this point I have done zero research on him.  I would think that of all people Democrats would know that the Republican candidate being a shitty person doesn't automatically mean your candidate is better.  That's exactly how we ended up with the travesty that is Trump.  Many Trump voters thought he was thr lesser of two evils and that's solely why they voted Trump.

I was just answering your question about what it had to do with your post.

But by all means, put in the time and do some research on Beto.  It's the right thing to do.

Start your comparison with "Do you believe he'd throw his family under a bus and suck up to the President to advance his political career?"  

• Like 1

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/beto-o-rourke-ted-cruz-town-hall-meetings-12919799.php

Spoiler

Last summer, I met with both Sen. Ted Cruz and Congressman Beto O'Rourke on the same day.

You'd think that we'd had our fill of campaigns and elections after the 2016 political carousel, but my teacher friends and I wrapped up our school year ready to work. We contacted candidates and representatives thirsty to meet with decision-makers about issues which impact us, like school vouchers and funding.

Tired of the spin and soundbites, we knew face-to-face interaction would be key; so, we emailed, we called, we visited offices.

It was early July, and one of my friends and I drove to the Sheraton on the North Loop. The nonprofit Concerned Veterans for America (CVA) had invited Cruz for a closed town hall, and I found tickets by happenstance, hidden within a group discussion on his campaign Facebook page.

There was a sign-in table and a place to write questions. Near the door was a small group trying to get in. The patient Cruz staffers explained that a ticket was required. "But where was this publicized?" asked a sassy lady, white curls neatly tucked under her sunhat. She kept poking her cane with emphasis toward the open door.

My friend and I walked in, and I counted: 64 seats. Cameras were set up in the back, and the meeting began with introductions by the host and director of CVA, Dan Caldwell. He led the Pledge of Allegiance. Someone in the audience insisted we do the Texas Pledge, too.

One by one, each branch of our proud veterans was called, and they stood. We all clapped. Caldwell introduced Cruz and established the rules: They'll take as many questions as they can, but no protests. "If you interrupt or disrupt the event in any way, you will be asked to leave," he said.

Sure enough, two people who attempted to disrupt were removed. Good! Those of us who showed up wanted to hear the senator.

Cruz and Caldwell continued a back-and-forth for about 20 minutes, after which the senator answered five prescreened questions. Toward the end, though, Caldwell made a huge mistake. He said that while some representatives had been out hiding during recess, "Senator Cruz is not one of them."

The crowd of protesters who had maintained civility lost it, and everyone erupted, many in laughter. Cruz was trying to calm down the crowd and yelled, "I was about to thank folks for being civil and respectful," and I took this chaotic moment as a chance. I walked to the stage, right up to him.

I found some jumble of words to communicate that I had learned a lot from the town hall — I had no idea the Pentagon wasn't audited, and I agreed that it should be. "As a teacher, I'm audited every single year with exams," I remember blubbering.

But I had one thing to ask. I begged Cruz to return for an open town hall. I explained that there were people standing outside who hadn't been able to get in, who didn't know to get tickets. Then I shook his hand, and he closed the meeting thanking me and everyone who came, and I took him at his word: He'd be back.

My friend and I then walked out of the Sheraton and into the blinding Texas light, where we were both shocked at the contrast Cruz's closed town hall had with our meeting with O'Rourke that morning.

Spoiler

The truth is that Cruz might have attended "seven events" this year where a few people got to ask him some questions, but his office has organized and hosted no town halls, open, closed or over a telephone system. In fact, his federal Senate office has no call-out system.

His campaign, however, does. His Senate and campaign offices said that he does do call outs – but only to his campaign supporters. Catherine Frazier from Cruz's campaign office confirmed that he's been doing them since he started running for office. She emphasized, "He's done two in the last few weeks."

But schedules or instructions for opting in for these telephone town halls are not displayed on Cruz's Senate page or Senate Facebook page. For a man whomocked "coastal elites" for their "safe spaces" in his piece on President Trump in Time, Cruz seems to hide in safe spaces filled exclusively with an echo chamber of his campaign supporters. Why not call out to all Texas constituents?

In contrast – again – O'Rourke's office has hosted 95 open town halls, not counting the quarterly veterans town halls, since he began his first term in the House of Representatives in 2013 – the same year Cruz began his first term.

These monthly town halls are organized by O'Rourke's congressional office. Links to the dates and times of the events are clearly posted on his congressional website and congressional Facebook page. His office explains they call out to constituents before the town halls take place to get the word out.

Besides the meeting at the coffee shop, I attended an open town hall hosted by his campaign when he returned to Houston. Back in February at Greenhouse International Church, well over 150 Houstonians showed up to ask questions. He began taking open questions when a young woman identified herself in two ways: She was a current student at Harvard University, and she was a Dreamer.

"Why did you vote 'yes' on the budget deal when we asked you not to?" she demanded, voice cracking.

His own voice dropped an octave, and he slowly responded, "If I thought voting 'no' would've secured a DACA deal, I would've done it. But I don't believe that was going to happen that way."

She persisted. "But why didn't you trust us? We needed your 'no' vote" and continued expressing that she was angry and felt betrayed.

"I'm glad that you're here telling me how you feel. Even if we disagree, I think it's important that I hear you."

That's exactly what he been up to: Besides hosting monthly town halls for his El Paso constituents, through his campaign he has hosted an additional 235 open town halls as he's traveled through 251 of the 254 counties in Texas.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/top-ten-most-disliked-republican-senators

Edited by Washpark

The whole point is that Cruz doesn't stand for anything. You can't trust what he says or does, because he will backtrack like a fucking pussy at the first sign that his political career may be derailed. 

That's not a theory, that's a fact made plainly obvious on the biggest stage of his career. I have always disliked Cruz, but for that one moment when he stood up to Trump on the national stage, I was ready to give him major credit. Fast forward a couple of weeks later, he flips over on his back, spreads his legs,and lets Trump go balls deep. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The whole point is that Cruz doesn't stand for anything. You can't trust what he says or does, because he will backtrack like a fucking pussy at the first sign that his political career may be derailed. 

That's not a theory, that's a fact made plainly obvious on the biggest stage of his career. I have always disliked Cruz, but for that one moment when he stood up to Trump on the national stage, I was ready to give him major credit. Fast forward a couple of weeks later, he flips over on his back, spreads his legs,and lets Trump go balls deep. 

This is pretty much it in a nutshell.  It's always been about Ted's political career, with the interests of the people of Texas a distant second, if there ever was a second.

10 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This is pretty much it in a nutshell.  It's always been about Ted's political career, with the interests of the people of Texas a distant second, if there ever was a second.

To be fair that is 90% of politicians on both sides.  It's just a matter of how far down that hole they have gone.  Cruz has disappeared in it.

Just now, txhorns said:

To be fair that is 90% of politicians on both sides.  It's just a matter of how far down that hole they have gone.  Cruz has disappeared in it.

Seriously, check Beto out.  Maybe go see him and ask some questions when he passes through town.  I did, and I was impressed.

In contract, by the way, you'll NEVER get a chance to ask Cruz a question unless you are showing up with a large check in hand, or pre-approved (for adoring fanboys) for his "town halls" which are less town halls than just rah-rah sessions.  Good luck getting a call through to one of his offices, much less a response.  

Cruz is the swamp.  Trumpers and tea parties loathe the swamp, at least they pretend too, I’m guessing the vast vast majority of them still vote for Cruz.

one guy is owned by special interest, the other isn’t taking a single dime from PACs. 

39 minutes ago, txhorns said:

It is comical how often party line Republican voters use that reasoning to justify voting for Republicans.

I grew up in rural Texas and have many relatives that proudly voted for Trump. Now, they sheepishly mumble and walk away when try to talk politics. They will still be voting Republican, because it is team over country. 

• Like 1

Voting for Ted Cruz to be your US Senator is like voting for Steve Patterson to be your AD. They’re guaranteed to fuck things up and will definitely listen to you as long as you got dem corporate bucks, otherwise, they aint give no fucks. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

44 minutes ago, Washpark said:

It is comical how often party line Republican voters use that reasoning to justify voting for Republicans.

I grew up in rural Texas and have many relatives that proudly voted for Trump. Now, they sheepishly mumble and walk away when try to talk politics. They will still be voting Republican, because it is team over country. 

It’s tribal. They can say this time is different and they haven’t made a decision yet, but I could pretty much bet they’ll vote for Ted because they just can’t stomach voting for a Democrat. 

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Most of the people voting for Cruz this year probably hate him or are at least indifferent. That (R) is all that matters. 

Correct. From what I’ve gathered with the few that I routinely discuss politics with.  Lots of politicians seem genuine before they make it to the big stage, then they get there and broadcast they are a POS.  I guess Beto is different? Maybe, probably not. 

I’m a pessimist and I expect, should Beto win, I’ll at some point be let down and he’ll bend in ways that basically every politician does. But for right now, I 100% believe that he means what he’s saying and intends to keep doing things the way he is doing them.