Credit Where Credit Is Due – Herman’s QB Power RPO Scheme Against TCU

Katfid54

22 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Watching the OL/DL is my favorite. It's easier to do live at the game, as the telecast usually focuses on the ball. These adjustments and motions are sweet, but for me the entire game happens in the trenches. If you watch our DL/LB play you can see why our DBs are doing so well on the back end. Takes all 11.

Watching inside out is what I do as well on live snap. It is a good indicator  whether you are going to be successful on either side of the ball. If I have time, I’ll go back and look at things on tape.

Great post OP.  

13 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Beck looked really emotional after the game. He was hugging Sam and his family like he won the super bowl. 

I don't have any hate for Beck as a person.  I believe he cares, and the kids seemingly like him.  My issue is with his aptitude:  specifically play calling and player development.  He sees his players playing well and winning.  Good on him.  Let's keep this train rolling.  He also obviously knows there is heat on him and this turns it down a few notches this week.  There's a reason coaches age like president's.  They are under a tremendous amount of pressure.  So step up Beck.  Learn from this and keep it going.  

4 minutes ago, Yuk said:

We also showed a tendency toward qb sweep against USC on short downs.  Against TCU, we showed same QB sweep action and then threw over it to CJ.  It was like punishing them for watching film.

We ran that QB stretch once and it got absolutely blown up.  It's a really bad conceptual match against TCU's tendency to play with three safeties on the field (two of which play as overhang defenders) behind a 4-2 front.

Edit to add: On the play you're talking about, I seem to remember Ehlinger appearing to audible at the line.  I wonder if that was a play that he checked into himself?

Edited by Katfid54

This is fucking great dude, thanks. I feel like a genius when I saw our guys line up with 6 guys on the line and Patterson trotted out 5 in the box and I'm screaming "PLEASE run the ball, we have them outmanned" and we ran inside zone one out of two times I saw it, and it was for a decent gain. This blows that shit out of the water. If you're seeing this shit live I'm assuming you've done some serious studying on the issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

But insanely, Wallow still able to get an arm inside on Sam’s hip, tripping him up.  If Wallow misses that tackle, Sam might have scored because there is no safety help over the middle of the field.

Was much impressed with Wallow. Seemed undersized for the position but had a real nose for the ball.

Great analysis and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Beck looked really emotional after the game. He was hugging Sam and his family like he won the super bowl. 

The post game stuff was pretty cool to watch.  Herman looked like he gave the wife a big long hug (I mean I would have too).  Sam gave a lot of people some hugs.  Throwing this monkey off their back clearly meant a lot to the team.

Two little white boys cutting a rug with the players in the locker room - Herman's kids?

7 hours ago, Zavala said:

texas-longhorn-assistant-coach-tim-beck-

Anyway, thank God for Herb Hand because the ball moves when the OL does their fucking jobs. Great work by the OL as well. They really should always be the leaders of the team. As a position group, they must work together to be successful, and we ain't gonna win without em.

this. everytime I heard someone talking about all our QB troubles/misses I would just say it all(QB's, WR, TE, OC, etc) doesn't matter if you have an OL and we had jackshit for 8 year+.  When Charlie got Wickline I thought we at least were going to get that figured out but the whole OC shell game made that such a clusterfuck.

anyway the line play looks so much more cohesive this year. even in the maryland game they looked better.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I'm sure every coach on the team had this game circled mentally.  Patterson keeps no secret about his disdain for Texas and he's pretty obvious about it on the recruiting trail. "yeah, they got all the glitz but we kick their ass every year".   his team got pistol whipped and he even punted for no reason other than to keep the score closer.

Edited by dcar00

Outstanding, outstanding job by the OP.

I have wanted to see more RPOs like this since the first time they put Ehlinger in the game. He's basically almost everything you want in a QB to run that stuff. Hopefully it continues because it just puts so much pressure on a defense and Sam runs it well.

11 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Agree, and I'm all for it.  We got 18 yards on the back-to-back QB power, and it set up our ability to use that formation for the rest of the game.  Earlier this year, we ran zone read against Tulsa something like 8 or 9 times in a row.

My only point was that we can't say these four play calls show that Beck is no longer calling plays.  They don't actually provide useful data points one way or the other.  It's more likely that this was a script of plays that they wanted to run at a certain point.

I would almost guarantee this was something they saw on film. Knew they could put a defender in conflict with a certain formation and then motion to empty to not allow them to check to an “empty alignment”.

its great coaching and preparation.

16 hours ago, Zavala said:

texas-longhorn-assistant-coach-tim-beck-

Anyway, thank God for Herb Hand because the ball moves when the OL does their fucking jobs. Great work by the OL as well. They really should always be the leaders of the team. As a position group, they must work together to be successful, and we ain't gonna win without em.

Agreed.  Shitty line == shitty offense.  Its amazing how much better the QB, RBs, WRs and play callers look when the OL plays average-to-good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

not trying to defend the apparent lack of effort, but can he legally get that far downfield and block prior to the pass?

Yes. The bubble screen is completed well behind the line of scrimmage. That means he can be as far downfield blocking as he wants to be.

I love this post because it demonstrates how the mental conditioning of TCUs defense was exercised to expect the Texas offense to run a particular play in a particular way then blind sides them for the effort. With how this is starting to coming along, could this kind of play be this offense's version of the zone read for VY?

19 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Why did we go away from this at all?  Did they adjust to this formation at all, or did we just stop running this?

I remember watching live and thinking this is working, then thinking where the hell did those plays go?

Remember, we are running the QB. You have to limit the amount of carries he sees.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Remember, we are running the QB. You have to limit the amount of carries he sees.

Right.  The second time we run Ehlinger, he does a nice job of fighting through traffic for the first down.  He's actually lucky there's so much trash for him to weave through, because he's at a lot higher risk if/when that play is more cleanly blocked.  The free safety over the top of the formation can scream downhill for the killshot as Sam is running through the hole.  Once TCU put that extra safety in the box over the top, it becomes risky for us to continue running the ball out of that formation, even though it would probably still be a way to get 4-6 yards per carry.

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:
1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Right.  The second time we run Ehlinger, he does a nice job of fighting through traffic for the first down.  He's actually lucky there's so much trash for him to weave through, because he's at a lot higher risk if/when that play is more cleanly blocked.  The free safety over the top of the formation can scream downhill for the killshot as Sam is running through the hole.  Once TCU put that extra safety in the box over the top, it becomes risky for us to continue running the ball out of that formation, even though it would probably still be a way to get 4-6 yards per carry. 

Just so folks can see it, here's the issue with repeatedly running power in that scenario (and the clean shots on the QB it would give the free safety), based on the way TCU aligns the 2nd time we run the power:

QB_Power_Killshot_Sketch.png

QB_Power_Killshot.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Just so folks can see it, here's the issue with repeatedly running power in that scenario (and the clean shots on the QB it would give the free safety), based on the way TCU aligns the 2nd time we run the power:

QB_Power_Killshot.png

I'm confident there are some other plays that can be built off of this after this play is shown to make the defense bite on this that aren't a tunnel screen. Maybe a nice reverse or a counter that will make them readjust after they think they've figured out how to stop this play?

Edited by HOOK'EMHOOAH

6 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I'm confident there are some other plays that can be built off of this after this play is shown to make the defense bite on this that aren't a tunnel screen. Maybe a nice reverse or a counter that will make them readjust after they think they've figured out how to stop this play?

There are a lot.  As mentioned in the first post, Beck down the middle of the field was wide open on the tunnel screen, and I definitely expect we'll come back to that later this season (probably not against KSU who will have seen that, too, but possibly against OU's shitty LBs and safeties?). 

You can turn the power concept into a counter and be successful against the look TCU is showing against play #2.  You can even turn that play into a killshot RPO package by having the Z receiver run a deep slant/thick post behind where the strong safety will be.  The QB then reads the strong safety to determine whether he's playing run or pass.  If he's playing pass, the QB should have a lot of grass to run.  If he plays run, the QB can rifle the ball to the slant for a big time gain.  Here's what it would look like:

QB_Counter_RPO_Package.png

You could also monkey with the ineligible receiver issue.  Last year WVU at times would run a similar formation to this where it brought its X receiver (David Sills) in as, effectively, the left tackle on this formation, and would put its left tackle out as the "blocking" receiver.  Then they'd run Sills on a vertical route from his position on the line.  You could easily do something like that with this formation.  Here's what it looked like when WVU did it:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

You could also monkey with the ineligible receiver issue.  Last year WVU at times would run a similar formation to this where it brought its X receiver (David Sills) in as, effectively, the left tackle on this formation, and would put its left tackle out as the "blocking" receiver.  Then they'd run Sills on a vertical route from his position on the line.  You could easily do something like that with this formation.  Here's what it looked like when WVU did it:

giphy.gif

The Bears did this earlier this season with their RT - I was wondering where they had gotten that play from - looks like someone on their staff scouted some WVU games last year.

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

QB_Power_Killshot.png

Should just slide at the last second and try to get that mother fucker kicked out the game.

It's this kind of progression/improvement week to week I was hoping for.  Think Herman was banking on giving Sam all the reps to make this kind of progress.  Here's hoping Shane finds a nice landing spot for his last two years of eligibility.  Hook em and much thanks to OP for the analysis!