Perpetual Middle East Geopolitical Quagmire Megathread

Hugo Stiglitz

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I had friends in Iraq when the insurgency activity ramped up, and they caught a shit-ton of Iranians and Saudis coming into Iraq with money/weapons or who were there train various factions to fight a Shiite/Sunni proxy war in Iraq.  Quds were known to be coming in and out of Iraq, and both groups were known to have killed Americans, or rather funded/trained those who did.

Can't find it now, but one of the websites for the leadership back in the later 2000s used to mention when coalition troops caught Iranians or Saudis coming over, and it was a pretty surprising number.

It's an open secret.

Why were those Americans there to begin with?

31 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I can't say for certain, but there have been Iranian forces in Iraq for a while, as well as Iranian backed militias comprised of Shiite Iraqis. They fought alongside regular Iraqi soldiers against ISIS the last couple of years. Moreover, their units actually coordinated the fight with Americans and Kurds during that effort.

A report I heard yesterday or the day before, some of those militias were in the process of being integrated with Iraqi regulars, while some were not. One of the latter was responsible for killing the American contractor and we responded by killing 24, which resulted in the attack on the embassy.

So...like...it's complicated I would imagine.

If the Saudis had killed that American contractor, Trump wouldn't have cared. "They pay cash." 

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I doubt Trump is the one driving this, but he is dumb enough to allow the Bush-era ghouls in his administration to have their way. 

Why? 

https://www.foxnews.com/world/rockets-baghdad-airport-injuries-reported

Trump orders attack that kills Iranian Gen. Qassim Soleimani, other military officials in Baghdad, Pentagon says

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

7 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

This is some of the most stupid shit I think I have ever seen this country do foreign policy wise and that includes Guatemala in the 50s, helping Pinochet, Vietnam, invading Iraq in 2003, etc.

Just stupid, stupid shit.

How about overthrowing the democratically elected government of Iran because it interferes with western oil interests? That was some pretty stupid shit. 

• Like 1

This is some of the most stupid shit I think I have ever seen this country do foreign policy wise and that includes Guatemala in the 50s, helping Pinochet, Vietnam, invading Iraq in 2003, etc.

Just stupid, stupid shit.

Dude. “Stupid Shit” is our brand. That’s how you make America great.

Seriously. This is a shitshow wrapped in a clusterfuck, wrapped in a clusterbomb, sealed in the thousands of body bags we’re gonna need. EAGLES FREEDOM FLAG AMERICA!!!

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There is no way to logic your way out of our ME policy.

We really need to kick our oil habit, stop treating Israel like it's our 51st state, and generally promote/protect human rights. That's about it.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

We really need to kick our oil habit, stop treating Israel like it's our 51st state, and generally promote/protect human rights. That's about it.

Not a bad start. Also need to deal with the some structural issues regarding MIIC. 

I celebrate the death of this terrorist because of the lives that it saves. Iran has been provoking us for a while, and they deserve this and more. Obviously, if they continue the provocations, we will escalate. Iran could not survive that. It's a good strategic move, pointed but not on Iranian soil, targeted to make their elites fear death. Obviously a tiny taste of what is to come if they keep up the provocations. Very clever. 

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 13

This is putting the whole "82nd Airborne airlifting directly from North Carolina to Kuwait" into more perspective - unlike the 100 Marines that deployed quickly to the embassy, me thinks that by the time the 82nd would have been needed at the embassy, it would have been over (plus it would have been swarming with Apaches out of Kuwait).

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

I celebrate the death of this terrorist because of the lives that it saves. Iran has been provoking us for a while, and they deserve this and more. Obviously, if they continue the provocations, we will escalate. Iran could not survive that. It's a good strategic move, pointed but not on Iranian soil, targeted to make their elites fear death. Obviously a tiny taste of what is to come if they keep up the provocations. Very clever. 

You should join ISIS so you can have a chance to fight against that terrorist’s men. 

how fsat can iran shut down the strait of hormuz ?  I think it's a given they're shooting down a US fighter jet the first chance they get 

do they have the balls to attack a US ME military base or a full terrorist attack on US soil ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

26 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Why were those Americans there to begin with?

You see, about 17 years ago Cheney/Rumsfeld set up a separate "intelligence team" within the CIA to contradict analysts' conclusions that there were NO WMD and that Sadam was NOT involved in 9/11 so they could start a fucking war that would destabilize the entire region for a generation or two.

And the Republican president at the time was either too much of a dumbass, pure evil himself, or had a daddy complex. Maybe a combination of all three.

But as we were warned: "If you break it, you buy it."

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

If war results the Saudis are going to be so happy. They'll have the U.S. going up against their mortal enemy.

And Israel. Syria, Russia and China could quickly flex as well on Iran's side.

Edited by maninblack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

And Israel. Syria, Russia and China could quickly flex as well on Iran's side.

Syria and Russia will rake in the the oil money.

We won't invade Iran proper, but if a bunch of Iranian hardware gets destroyed, Russia gets to sell a bunch of weapons as well.

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

how fsat can iran shut down the strait of hormuz ?  I think it's a given they're shooting down a US fighter jet the first chance they get 

do they have the balls to attack a US ME military base or a full terrorist attack on US soil ?

There won't be a terrorist attack on U.S. soil. That's not their thing. By "U.S. soil" I mean the States, not foreign embassies. The latter are, obviously, fair game. 

21 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

You're an idiot.

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude. “Stupid Shit” is our brand. That’s how you make America great.

Seriously. This is a shitshow wrapped in a clusterfuck, wrapped in a clusterbomb, sealed in the thousands of body bags we’re gonna need. EAGLES FREEDOM FLAG AMERICA!!!

I believe you are looking for the phrase Rock Flag and Eagle.  Charlie Kelly (2006)

30 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Agree! The best way to keep your enemy from starting a war is to start the war yourself!