2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

2 hours ago, orange dream said:

A friend of a friend at UT in the 1989-1990 range had an old Chrysler that he had painted horns and the devil's face on the hood and had stenciled on the front and back bumper, "The Anti-Chrysler"

i remember that car!

• Hook 'Em 1

Starting to see an uptick on social media of "eclipse evil" and "eclipse scary" content from the usual suspects (our wonderful consortium of constitutional scholars and infectious disease experts).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Thank you, I saw that but forgot about it. According to that, traffic was much heavier in populated areas. The shitty weather will also cause quite a few people to stay home or seek an area with better weather too.

There's a lot of people who chase these things as a hobby. I commute to work Tuesday, and the flights last week from SAT were all oversold. Now there's seats available, so I guess I'll go.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I drive from SA to Lake Travis and back every weekend, wasn't all that crazy out there. More RVs and a lot of police working on their quota, but made it in the same time. Heard there's not a parking spot available in Kerrville. Sure other small towns are the same. 

Have been planning to camp at a friend's piece of land near Dripping Springs with my 6 year old and other families. They just cancelled due to weather and some construction still going on at the property.  Bummed but also a little relieved. The thought of traffic issues and shitty weather kinda dampened our excitement. Godspeed to all of y'all making a trip and hope you get the full experience! 

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

They just cancelled due to weather

Some people with rental space on ranches in Cen Tx also told me they were getting cancellations due to weather. We’ll see what happens over the next couple of days but the weather may keep traffic manageable.

I bet a fun thing would be to go way back in time to where there was going to be an eclipse and tell the cave men, "If I have come to destroy you, may the sun be blotted out from the sky." Just then the eclipse would start, and they'd probably try to kill you or something, but then you could explain about the rotation of the moon and all, and everyone would get a good laugh.

• Haha 5

The sun will still be blacked out with cloud cover, people do realize that-no?  But the school and traffic logistics shitshow...we're gonna stay back in town.  But of course, now Moody Amphitheater is indicating that maybe Vampire Weekend can't go on after all for safety reasons (it's kinda weatherproof, but not really if it rains).  Same with Long Center.  I dunno.  It's gonna be cool either way and no matter what any of choose to do or not do, the Gods are Angry that day my friends.  Like an old man trying to send back soup a deli.  

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I bet a fun thing would be to go way back in time to where there was going to be an eclipse and tell the cave men, "If I have come to destroy you, may the sun be blotted out from the sky." Just then the eclipse would start, and they'd probably try to kill you or something, but then you could explain about the rotation of the moon and all, and everyone would get a good laugh.

Naw. You’d be the god half the world worships. Books would be written about you. And grifters would profit in your name. 

56 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Wasn't that premise in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?

It's been a few decades since I read that. 

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

Some people with rental space on ranches in Cen Tx also told me they were getting cancellations due to weather. We’ll see what happens over the next couple of days but the weather may keep traffic manageable.

Yeah know folks w B&BS who said their dynamic pricing tool/dashboard is showing a good number of cancelations here. They got a couple of new bookings today for tomorrow night

25 minutes ago, Vanderpool said:

We just drove through Kerrville headed west and I’ve never seen that town so dead. Maybe the locals are already hunkered down until Tuesday. Even HEB was empty (and open). 

Locals here and there are. Lots of FB comments about how dead Fredericksburg is tonight.

Tomorrow should be interesting

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, BearMace said:

So is there gonna be a window somewhere? Do I have an excuse to drive to Arkansas and hit some singletrack Monday?

Arkansas looks like a good play but even that is not a guarantee. I think there are a couple of places closer Northeast that might have a good chance which is ironic. Or ride like the wind to Mexico.

15 hours ago, YGIFS said:

The sun will still be blacked out with cloud cover, people do realize that-no?  But the school and traffic logistics shitshow...we're gonna stay back in town.  But of course, now Moody Amphitheater is indicating that maybe Vampire Weekend can't go on after all for safety reasons (it's kinda weatherproof, but not really if it rains).  Same with Long Center.  I dunno.  It's gonna be cool either way and no matter what any of choose to do or not do, the Gods are Angry that day my friends.  Like an old man trying to send back soup a deli.  

wat

where you see this?

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Does anything happen besides it getting darker outside the sun getting a bite taken out of it?

Some animals will think it’s dusk. Crickets start chirping, dogs relax, birds chirp different songs, Bonnie Tyler starts singing…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe dirt said:

wat

where you see this?

It was just generic email to ticket holders just saying something to effect of “in case of heavy precip, be aware show may be delayed”.  The overcast or even light rain wouldn’t an issue but that venue ain’t setup for heavy rain    I’m sure it’ll be just fine though   

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

IMG_2527.gif.10d217a99db5b02938e0d2d42f869abb.gif

They are recreating the Big Bang with a particle accelerator during the eclipse….  Maybe that opens a portal to another dimension and we have a war with the flying monkeys that appear. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2024 at 8:31 AM, The Royal We said:

I'm thinking the opposite on the bigger cities vs. some random rural road. It seems like people coming from further east will be going to bigger towns. I'm in Nacogdoches and have been planning on going almost due west to find a spot along 287 on the other side of Palestine. The path of totality looks to cross this area 10-15 miles west of Palestine on 287.

What's the consensus, a bigger city like Tyler where they have better infrastructure or a more rural place where there should be fewer people? My plan has been to find somewhere in the red circle that has a larger shoulder where we can turn around and be pointed back to home and safely watch from the side of the road. Will areas like this be all jammed up too?

eclipse.thumb.png.c5367e6cff5f878c6c88a2456f01cfab.png

map_texas_2024.thumb.png.ac82a223e4c6219683794c2382e78fe0.png

I wonder if ABC will provide regional coverage in Bandera. 

Edited by Rex Kramer
  • Haha 1

Any of you iphone experts know what kinda settings you should do to take good photos?  My brother used to be a professional photographer and has this elaborate setup for taking photos using conventional cameras, one analog and one digital but it's like thousands of dollars worth of extra equipment.  I asked him how to take pics with my busted ass iphone 12 but he's as tech illiterate as I am.  So I'm wondering if you use portrait, pano, slo-mo, etc.?  I'm keeping the glasses on obviously, and I'm not sure if you just point and video and then take best 'snippets' later on.  And then i'd love to get one of the me on the ground with the girls above me and the totality above their heads.  But I have no idea what to set the phone camera to.  And there's just a mixed bag of opinions online and I'm not gonna go out and buy a tripod or selfie-stick.  Thanks.  Here's to the end of the World, see you gents on the Dark side of the Moon

22 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Any of you iphone experts know what kinda settings you should do to take good photos?  My brother used to be a professional photographer and has this elaborate setup for taking photos using conventional cameras, one analog and one digital but it's like thousands of dollars worth of extra equipment.  I asked him how to take pics with my busted ass iphone 12 but he's as tech illiterate as I am.  So I'm wondering if you use portrait, pano, slo-mo, etc.?  I'm keeping the glasses on obviously, and I'm not sure if you just point and video and then take best 'snippets' later on.  And then i'd love to get one of the me on the ground with the girls above me and the totality above their heads.  But I have no idea what to set the phone camera to.  And there's just a mixed bag of opinions online and I'm not gonna go out and buy a tripod or selfie-stick.  Thanks.  Here's to the end of the World, see you gents on the Dark side of the Moon

DROID

The MyRadar team was going to do an eclipse broadcast live from San Antonio but they packed up and went to Maine where they said cloud cover was a much lower chance. Pretty much said everyone south of Dallas is getting cloud cover. Sucks. 

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Too late to get things for your phone from Amazon or wherever, but at the very least, you need a filter for your phone similar to eclipse glasses.  The sun's rays can and will destroy a camera sensor if not properly protected.

If you have another set of eclipse glasses, you could take out the lens and tape it over the camera in a pinch.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I’ll try that as we have some extra pairs.  I’ll either have a life long photo memory or be arrested at the Apple Store by this time tomorrow.  Typical Monday for me either way. ;)