Talkin' bout my generation

Sbbruin

There was a rather enjoyable thread on the site that shall not be named dissing on millennials, and rightfully so.  They are awful.  But that is from the perspective of a bonafide Gen X-er (born 1967).  I identify with a group  that was raised free-range, was allowed to fail without a soft landing, experimented with more drugs than I should have, watched in amazement as technology truly blossomed from humble beginnings, and witnessed numerous economic cycles, some boom and some bust.  

What generation are you?  And how do you perceive your own generation and those older and younger than you?  My kids are teen/pre-teen, and they treat me like I'm from the Stone Age.  And I guess that's fair.  In retrospect, I felt the same about my parents.

Gen X. We were bitter growing up because of our narcissistic Baby Boomer parents and bitter as adults dealing with the narcissistic Millenials. Ironically, our parents were the first ones to broader prefer working to rearing us, and Millenials are the first to demand parenting in all aspects of life. We're just sort of squished in the middle of idiots who created idiots. :)

Kidding (Gen X is cynical but Baby Boomers and Millenials seem to lack humor) ... sort of.

It really is all the Baby Boomers' fault who instilled the feminine ethos across our culture that is fully manifest in the Millenials.

Edited by Kyle
  • Like 1

Gen X. We were bitter growing up because of our narcissistic Baby Boomer parents and bitter as adults dealing with the narcissistic Millenials. Ironically, our parents were the first ones to broader prefer working to rearing us, and Millenials are the first to demand parenting in all aspects of life. We're just sort of squished in the middle of idiots who created idiots.

Kidding (Gen X is cynical but Baby Boomers and Millenials seem to lack humor) ... sort of.

It really is all the Baby Boomers' fault who instilled the feminine ethos across our culture that is fully manifest in the Millenials.

This... Gen X. Raised on the belt and fear of disappointing my parents.

You just generally see a group of men / boys who lack any internal fortitude and women / girls who demand inclusion but not to be held accountable.

I try to talk to my boy and daughters from the perspective of life doesn’t owe you anything. Your mom and I invest in you to give you a foundation to go out into the world.

I’ve never argued for my kids grades. They get the grades they get and it is 100% their doing. I help them learn how to study and what’s expected. I don’t talk to their coaches in sports other than hello. Their play on the field and at practice dictates playing time. Nothing else.

Ah yeah... get off my lawn.

• Like 4

I'm on the younger end of the millenials, a few years from being born a Gen Z or whatever they call the post millenial group. I've never been alive without the internet, but I do vaguely remember the late 90s/early 2000s when the internet wasn't as much of a fabric of life as it is now. I grew up playing outside with my friends, playing sports, walking to school, playing video games, playing dodgeball in gym class. Facebook was big when I was in high school, and twitter was barely a thing, but snapchat and instagram weren't really around yet. From what I hear those are different animals from what myspace/facebook were. 

I've always thought comparing generations was like comparing teams from different eras. A useless exercise given how much things have changed. 

Last of the boomer years here. Got to experience life as a little kid in the late 60's, had freedom to roam that kids acas only dream of today. Got to see a man land on the moon, have to find information in encyclopedias and actual libraries, no one wore seat belts and everyone smoked and drank like fish. Was limited in my travels with a phone conversation to about 6', and learned to draft on a table with a T square, triangle and lead holders (mechanical pencils).

Think the generation before me was hardier, less sensitive (in good and bad ways) resourceful and self reliant.

Think the ones succeeding my generation have been maybe book smarter, but less savvy, less patient, less street smart, and less mechanically inclined.  But they're more attuned to a global community, and see greater opportunity on a global scale.  Failure and missteps today have far greater consequences than even 20 years ago.

• Like 2

I’m either a very young millennial or old Gen Z (born April ‘96). I don’t really remember life without the internet but I definitely remember life with dial-up internet and without smartphones. My younger sister, born ‘01, doesn’t really.

My parents possess a similar lack of generational identity. My mom’s parents were born in 1919 and 1921 respectively and had my mom in their early forties (she was youngest of four, 16 years younger than her eldest brother). On the contrary, my dad is actually 5 months older than my mom but his parents were born in 1936 and 1938. While my maternal grandfather went to West Point and served in Italy and was a colonel in Korea, my paternal grandfather was part of a “forgotten generation” who was too young for WWII and Korea, but too old for Vietnam. 

In a sense, I almost consider my mom a baby boomer and my dad a Gen X’er despite my dad actually being older.

Edited by RiceOwl

I'm gen X, my old.man was of the Silent gen, "flew a typewriter" in Korea as he would put it. Great man, taught me a lot. Tough love as they say. I dont have kids, but I'm around friends and family and their kids enough. Bunch of pussies.

Gen X.

Boomers were assholes. I like to think that we are a slight bit less asshole than our Boomer parents. My experience with my cohort in my circle of friends is that we're the generation of "leave us the fuck alone", which somehow aligns with a somewhat more open-minded and accepting stance than the Boomers before us. We don't really care enough about anyone to care what they do, as long as we are left alone. However very few of us give enough of a shit to do much about anything outside of our own sphere. I vote and try to be kind to my friends and those around me, and that's about it. I wish I cared more, but I don't.

Millennials are far less asshole than either of the aforementioned generations. Sure, they're a bit namby pamby and sensitive or whatever, but they care and their hearts are in the right place. They'll be fine. I look forward to seeing what they can do, as long as they stay off my lawn. Their music sucks. They will probably leave the world in a better condition than they found it in, which is more than you can say for boomers, and probably my generation too.

I don't know much about anyone after the Millennials. They haven't offended me, though.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Gen X.

Boomers were assholes. I like to think that we are a slight bit less asshole than our Boomer parents. My experience with my cohort in my circle of friends is that we're the generation of "leave us the fuck alone", which somehow aligns with a somewhat more open-minded and accepting stance than the Boomers before us. We don't really care enough about anyone to care what they do, as long as we are left alone. However very few of us give enough of a shit to do much about anything outside of our own sphere. I vote and try to be kind to my friends and those around me, and that's about it. I wish I cared more, but I don't.

Millennials are far less asshole than either of the aforementioned generations. Sure, they're a bit namby pamby and sensitive or whatever, but they care and their hearts are in the right place. They'll be fine. I look forward to seeing what they can do, as long as they stay off my lawn. Their music sucks. They will probably leave the world in a better condition than they found it in, which is more than you can say for boomers, and probably my generation too.

I don't know much about anyone after the Millennials. They haven't offended me, though.

I'm sensing your just a chip off the old boomer block.....

45 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Gen X. Our women wore flannel.

And chokers! I remember seeing my girlfriend walking into the HS cafeteria with a black choker on for the first time and me rising to attention. Granted, a cool breeze gave me a stiffy back then.

Educate me please. Is there really a difference between millennials and gen z? Baby boomers spanned around 20 years, gen x around another 20. Now born in 96 is considered gen z? That seems more of a creation of marketers and half employed writers on jezebel trying to define their own demographic snowflake than something of actual demographic value. 

I could talk shit about boomers, or half commiserate/half laugh at the Gen X being the Jan Brady generation.  But I think more specifically the "Oregon Trail" band of the millennial generation (basically millennials born in the 80s) was an interesting one to grow up in.  Elementary school computer labs with monotone screens and MECC games.  Growing up on early 90s MTV - Nirvana, that Blind Melon video (and then 1979), staying up late to watch Beavis and Butt-head and Aeon Flux.  Growing up alongside the internet - from dialing in to AOL (shit, in my case Prodigy to start) to Napster and Counterstrike, MySpace and then Facebook hitting right when I was a college freshman, and then the surge to dominance of social media that may have fucked with slightly younger millennials more than people right around my age.  The quickness with which all that happened - loading my Donald Duck video game on a 5.25" floppy (and applying newfound reading/writing skills to boot up games in Dos), Windows 3.1 - 95 - 2000 - XP and the rise of OS X.  Dot com boom and bust. I fucking still had a zip drive when I was a freshman at UT.  The evolution of design on the internet.  Virtualization, and the change that that has brought.

I didn't intend to just write a whole thing about computers and the internet, but I think the specific time frame of my existence has been a really interesting one to... advance in parallel with the latest great technological revolution.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, F250 said:

And chokers! I remember seeing my girlfriend walking into the HS cafeteria with a black choker on for the first time and me rising to attention. Granted, a cool breeze gave me a stiffy back then.

Black belt in dick suckin.

Gen x here (born in 75) And I agree with our man celery. And I’m really not trying to make this a demographic competition but I think folks my age had a little bit more time in the pre internet era to fully appreciate the differences between pre and post internet while still straddling that divide.

Another huge shift is how much social currency was wrapped up in what bands you listened to. There was real value in turning your friends on to new music. 

2 hours ago, destroya said:

Educate me please. Is there really a difference between millennials and gen z? Baby boomers spanned around 20 years, gen x around another 20. Now born in 96 is considered gen z? That seems more of a creation of marketers and half employed writers on jezebel trying to define their own demographic snowflake than something of actual demographic value. 

Curiosity killed this cat. It is like the Interwebs collection of all the girls who were not invited to prom. The horror.

6 hours ago, destroya said:

Celery Man hit it pretty well. Millenials saw the internet and then social media transform our world and then came of age when 9/11 happened. Gen Z has never known life without high speed internet being common and probably had a smart phone when they were young teens. Technology has changed so fast that it has shortened generations.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, elfenix said:

baby boomers heard that song play and haven't fucking shut up since.

why don't you all just f-fade away

and get the fuck off my lawn

Y'all are just pissed because we got to ride in the back of pickup, backwards in a station wagon,  in the rear window ledge and without seatbelts. We played jarts, put mercury in our hands in science class, bought cigarettes from a vending machine, paid 35¢ a gallon for gas as a kid, didn't need helmets for bikes, ate Chef-boyardee pizza, had to find dad's stash of Playboys to see nudes, hitchhiked, built our own treeforts & tunnels, hell we didn't need all those vaccination - our parents would set up play dates with other kids who had chickenpox if it was a good time to get them.
Now where was I .... damnitall, I forget .... just get off my lawn

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

3 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

why don't you all just f-fade away

and get the fuck off my lawn

Y'all are just pissed because we got to ride in the back of pickup, backwards in a station wagon,  in the rear window ledge and without seatbelts. We played jarts, put mercury in our hands in science class, bought cigarettes from a vending machine, paid 35¢ a gallon for gas as a kid, didn't need helmets for bikes, ate Chef-boyardee pizza, had to find dad's stash of Playboys to see nudes, hitchhiked, built our own treeforts & tunnels, hell we didn't need all those vaccination - our parents would set up play dates with other kids who had chickenpox if it was a good time to get them.
Now where was I .... damnitall, I forget .... just get off my lawn

The last generation that reeeeeeally got to have fun without the repercussions of today (SEE: The AIDs). We probably fucked it up for the later generations though.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....................................................ha !!

Now get the fuck off my manicured, and coiffed lawn as I sip my double eagle rare, and a single ice cube sliver. 

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

^ most of us are more jealous about how y'all went to 4 years of college for $87 or just went ahead and bought a house with your job at a factory or unicorn farming or whatever the fuck used to happen straight out of high school.  And are going to die before social security runs out and the oceans boil.

Ooooh I just got a stiffy, thinking about those days.....  

You do know that the houses we and our parents were buying could fit in the garages that people are wanting for their homes today, and we probably didn't have central air.

meanwhile boomers sitting in their mcmansions watching Tiny House Nation laughing at the entitled millennial who isn't going to be able to keep his hockey stick because he's moving into a shoebox

(shit talking)

I do wonder if the a) millennial equivalent of "getting a college degree was cheap and it allowed me to earn a living where I could afford self respect" is working in tech (which, digression but that's the major bummer about about the racial homogeneity of the tech workforce) and if so, b) will the whole culture where a CS degree is good but not worth more than skills and experience eventually change.

I could talk shit about boomers, or half commiserate/half laugh at the Gen X being the Jan Brady generation.  But I think more specifically the "Oregon Trail" band of the millennial generation (basically millennials born in the 80s) was an interesting one to grow up in.  Elementary school computer labs with monotone screens and MECC games.  Growing up on early 90s MTV - Nirvana, that Blind Melon video (and then 1979), staying up late to watch Beavis and Butt-head and Aeon Flux.  Growing up alongside the internet - from dialing in to AOL (shit, in my case Prodigy to start) to Napster and Counterstrike, MySpace and then Facebook hitting right when I was a college freshman, and then the surge to dominance of social media that may have fucked with slightly younger millennials more than people right around my age.  The quickness with which all that happened - loading my Donald Duck video game on a 5.25" floppy (and applying newfound reading/writing skills to boot up games in Dos), Windows 3.1 - 95 - 2000 - XP and the rise of OS X.  Dot com boom and bust. I fucking still had a zip drive when I was a freshman at UT.  The evolution of design on the internet.  Virtualization, and the change that that has brought.
I didn't intend to just write a whole thing about computers and the internet, but I think the specific time frame of my existence has been a really interesting one to... advance in parallel with the latest great technological revolution.
Same boat here. Born in 85... kind of the gray area between "growing up" before the millennium change but my prime years were post 2000.

I don't know what i am...i guess the more older i get, the more i appreciate the bad assness gen x provided.

• Like 2

I've seen various references to a micro-generation between Gen X and Millennials that is referred to as Xennials (1977-83), which is where I fall. Apparently this group serves as a bridge between analog and digital so to speak. I don't really feel like a I fit neatly into either generation, so I kind of identify with this concept...also before the concept had an accepted name, the first article I read trying to define this group had the best comment section line I've ever read: Why not call us the Taints because we're stuck between the Assholes and the Pussies?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

This describes me to a tee.  Friends still played outside and built forts in the woods, but then went inside to play Goldeneye.  

• Like 4

This describes me to a tee.  Friends still played outside and built forts in the woods, but then went inside to play Goldeneye.  
GenX were noble,used average height people, and didnt look at the other 3 squares on the screen

Millenials used golden guns,always picked oddjob, and would glitch into the ceiling in the bathroom
  • Like 1

I'm not entirely convinced that Millennials should be considered a completely separate generation. Most definitions of Millenials either dip too far into Gen X, or extend so far out that the youngest have little in common with the rest. There is definitely a distinct transition period mostly encompassing people born in the mid 80s (referred to by some as the Oregon Trail Generation) where the world was completely different than other generations, but I don't think it is quite enough to be considered a full fledged generation in the traditional sense.

Gen X (1969), but raised by my Greatest Generation Grandparents because my boomer parents were druggies. I think it gives me a bit of an interesting perspective on parenting and probably makes me a little more "old school" than the parents in my kids age group. I'm also an older parent, I'm 49 and my kids are 11. My grandfather always said he got a "do over" with me, since my dad was such a fuckup. Both grandparents said they spoiled my dad too much, and always bailed him out when he screwed up. They gave me plenty of opportunities to fail, and held me accountable when I did...but he did so with an amazing amount of patience. That's really the biggest point of contention in my marriage...My wife is a later Gen X (76) and was an only child raised by boomers. She never gives our kids a chance to fail...Constantly bailing them out when they forget things (the other day my son forgot his water for swim, so my wife drove to the store and bought him a bottle of water...I'd have let him go without or use the water fountain). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

^ most of us are more jealous about how y'all went to 4 years of college for $87 or just went ahead and bought a house with your job at a factory or unicorn farming or whatever the fuck used to happen straight out of high school.  And are going to die before social security runs out and the oceans boil.

UCLA was $430/qtr for as many units as you wanted to take.