What was your first concert and how old were you...

BigDHornfan

2004 crossroads guitar festival at the Cotton Bowl with Clapton, ZZ Top, Buddy Guy, and many more. I was 15, in a tiny East Texas town, and up to that point had listened primarily to a weird mix of radio hip hop and Nirvana. But, I had recently spun through some of my dad's old Beatles LPs, so he thought it would be cool if we went. Definitely had an impact on my musical tastes over the next few years.  

About 16 years old, mid sixties....some innocuous loud/tight rock band from whereabouts non remembered at our small town city auditorium. They did a slow bluesy cover of "Keep Me Hangin' On" that I'll never forget. I was cheap guitar and amp garage band'ing with a couple friends at the time and their equipment blew me away.....was awesome.

The first live show my Dad's band, when I was in preschool. 

The first live show that wasn't my Dad's band, was Joe Paul Nichols and his Five Pennies, who opened for Sheb Wooley (he of Purple People Eater and Rawhide) fame at the Dallas Sportatorium.  

The first "real" show I ever saw was Fabulous Thunderbirds/Steve Ray Vaughn/The Who at the Cotton Bowl in 1989.  I was so pissed that I didn't get to see U-2 and Eric Clapton the previous year that I think my parents felt guilty.  That summer I also saw Paul McCartney on his first tour since Wings, and the Rolling Steels Steel Wheels Tour.  

I can't remember the first live show I paid for and went to without an old.  Had to be something in Deep Ellum or Denton in the early 90s.  

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Leon Russell

Fuck yes. I caught him a few times before he passed away. I think Elton John and I are the only two people on Earth who properly recognize his genius.

I saw a screening of this at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston back in 2015 and recommend any Leon fans to find a way to see it. It was made in 1974 and I don't think it was ever released until recently.

19 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Fuck yes. I caught him a few times before he passed away. I think Elton John and I are the only two people on Earth who properly recognize his genius.

I saw a screening of this at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston back in 2015 and recommend any Leon fans to find a way to see it. It was made in 1974 and I don't think it was ever released until recently.[/quote]

As an aspiring keyboard player, I would buy keyboardists' albums. I lived on Brian Auger and when I was in 10th grade I bought Carney.  What a fucking fantastic album.
Also, if you've never watched, check out some of Leon's work on Shindig!  That show was insanely great.

Edited by phdhorn

Neil Diamond and I was probably 4 years old.  Pretty sure it was at Reunion Arena, but that was just built then and I don't particularly recall.  Subsequently saw him 5 or 6 more times.  My parents were fans.

First "grown up" concert I saw was Chuck Mangione.  Then, I'd guess either New Order or Lynyrd Skynyrd or Depeche Mode or some other such nonsense.

Edited by ohchaucer

Johnny Cash, 1972, Sam Houston Coliseum.  I was 6.  It was a lot like his TV show at the time, lots of other artists (Larry Gatlin I remember), June sang a few songs, they had a big movie screen set up to show films during songs like Orange Blossom Special (that footage of Johnny driving a steam locomotive).  Pretty damn awesome.

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

The first live show that wasn't my Dad's band, was Joe Paul Nichols and his Five Pennies, who opened for Sheb Wooley (he of Purple People Eater and Rawhide) fame at the Dallas Sportatorium.  

Holy shit! I haven't heard of them in years. JPN was a local guy that was always playing some honky tonk around here. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RPM said:

Holy shit! I haven't heard of them in years. JPN was a local guy that was always playing some honky tonk around here. 

Yup, that's why we went.  He and my Dad ran in the same circles and played the same honky tonks. Once my Dad retired, he booked bands, including JPN on occasion.  Seeing the show was kind of a business social call.

First real concert was Elvis at the Tarrant County Convention center with my uncle when I was eight. 

First big “rock show” was also at the TCCC when my dad took me to see KISS when I was 12. 

First concert with my own money and no supervision was Rush with Golden Earring at Reunion Arena  in 1983. 

8 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

First real concert was Elvis at the Tarrant County Convention center with my uncle when I was eight. 

First big “rock show” was also at the TCCC when my dad took me to see KISS when I was 12. 

First concert with my own money and no supervision was Rush with Golden Earring at Reunion Arena  in 1983. 

What do you remember about Elvis?  That's one I wish I could've seen, but he died when I was a wee lad.

8 hours ago, HouTex said:

Robin Trower at the old Sam Houston Coliseum in 1977 IIRC.

Hey, I was at that show too.  December 10, in fact.  I still have the ticket stub.  I believe admission was $6.50.

My first show was at the Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo in 1971.  I was 9, and my dad took the whole family to see Johnny Cash.  First rock concert was Bad Company at the Sam Houston Coliseum in March 1976.  Ted Nugent opened.  A couple months later, I saw Johnny Winter at the same place, with Weather Report opening.  Awesome shows.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

What do you remember about Elvis?  That's one I wish I could've seen, but he died when I was a wee lad.

Two things I remember very clearly.  First, when the show was about to start and the house lights when down, the Strauss piece “Thus Spake Zarathustra” (or more commonly known as the theme from 2001) started to play over the PA and women were screaming like someone was being fucking murderd. That song sounded ominous and kinda scary to me at eight years old. I remember clutching my uncle Bobby’s hand and him laughing and telling me everything was cool.  Everything WAS cool as soon as the house lights came up, the drums to CC Rider started, then the familiar horns kick in and this fat dude in a jumpsuit comes ruinning onstage. And the crowd goes apeshit. 

After that, I was mesmerized by his drummer, Ronnie Tutt.  It was the first double bass drum kit I had ever seen in person, and that dude slammed and went hard.  I knew that Elvis was a big deal, the King of Rock n Roll my uncle was always reminding me, but I couldn’t appreciate the significance of the moment. These days I’m grateful that he took me with him.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RPM said:

Sammy Hagar / Boston at the Tarrant County Convention Center 1978. Went last minute with no tickets. Found a parking spot right by the door and had tickets before we got out of the pickup. I love it when a plan comes together.

I, too, was at that show.  Good times.

12 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Two things I remember very clearly.  First, when the show was about to start and the house lights when down, the Strauss piece “Thus Spake Zarathustra” (or more commonly known as the theme from 2001) started to play over the PA and women were screaming like someone was being fucking murderd. That song sounded ominous and kinda scary to me at eight years old. I remember clutching my uncle Bobby’s hand and him laughing and telling me everything was cool.  Everything WAS cool as soon as the house lights came up, the drums to CC Rider started, then the familiar horns kick in and this fat dude in a jumpsuit comes ruinning onstage. And the crowd goes apeshit. 

After that, I was mesmerized by his drummer, Ronnie Tutt.  It was the first double bass drum kit I had ever seen in person, and that dude slammed and went hard.  I knew that Elvis was a big deal, the King of Rock n Roll my uncle was always reminding me, but I couldn’t appreciate the significance of the moment. These days I’m grateful that he took me with him.  

I saw Fat Elvis near his death (about 1 1/2 yrs, before he croaked) and pretty much this, especially with the women.  I got 10th row seats through someone who gave them to my mom, who didn't want to go.  So my friend, who ironically did a great Elvis impersonation (like, formally, got paid and stuff) and I went (I was his pianist), we were I think about 18.  I will fucking tell you right now when that 2001 theme played and the lights finally splashed on Elvis, all around us women of ALL fucking ages, even in their 80's, were going so absolutely batshit apeshit frantically screamingly nuts crazy that I thought I was in another universe.  You have NEVER seen women, especially old ones, move like Walter Payton through the entire defense.  They were jumping on chairs, on each other, on me, I mean they lost their fucking minds.  

The other stuff I remember clearly is that 1) Elvis was great, self-depreciating, 2) everyone and everything on stage was completely in his control, and he was a master at knowing everything - the band, the backups, everything.  Guy was a master presenter. 3) Elvis LOVED the gospel part of his concerts and he LOVED the gospel quartet he had, and when he sang that stuff he transformed from doing almost mocking self-parodies of some of his hits (you can imagine he was sorta sick of 'em after 30 years) to putting everything he had into the gospel songs and he did.  And his voice singing that stuff was absolutely fucking magnificent... this bloated, jaundiced, sweaty fat guy in a white suit belted out those tunes so powerfully, crack on key, and beautifully, THAT'S when I knew the guy had a talent far, far greater than most people.  Man did he enjoy those songs and his voice thundered out like nothing I ever saw.

It was pretty amazing.  Oh yeah, all around me women were throwing panties, bras, keys, everything.  I mean they would have fucking died of excitement if he would have picked them up.  Oh yeah, one last thing... Elvis had a guy who did nothing but hand him bandana/neckerchief after bandana/neckerchief.  Elvis took one, swiped it around his neck, then threw it out to the crowd and I swear that an arena of pit bulls looks tame compared to the frenzy.

You have no idea how driven to an excited batshit level of frenetic crazy love pains women can be driven to.  I never saw anything like that before or since.  As in ever.

• Like 3

i had just turned 17 a couple weeks before driving from el paso to austin for my first unsupervised concert.  rage + roots @ southpark meadows.  we were pissed that wu-tang bailed, but that was still a fuckin awesome show. 

i took my daughter to see the strokes at auditorium shores in 2011. she was 4 and sung along with more than a few songs. she still remembers the closing fireworks they closed the show with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

First concert was Pink Poison (don't be jealous) at some festival on Pleasure Island back in the 80s.  The band sucked but there were boobs all over the place, so that was nice.

First real concert was Lollapalooza at the Fort Bend Fairgrounds in 92.  My Mom drove a group of us to the concert and let us run wild.   

Fist concert on my own was Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves at The Phoenix in 92.  That one hurt.