Official 2018 bitch about family/holiday drama thread

GhostOfTomJoad

23 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

...He explained to me that his dad is giving him a hard time because he's getting married Saturday (7th wedding, 6th wife), and he told him he wasn't coming to the wedding because his son was sick.  His dad told him, "Kids get sick.  I'm not sure why that means you can't be there to support me."  Support a 65 year old man getting married for the seventh time.  

BIL then proceeds to tell me that his 89 year old grandfather called him that morning to tell him that he found his mom passed out in her own vomit / shit / piss because she borderline OD'd on pain meds....

Ugh.  Sounds like your sister and family give him a much better life to live.   I’m guessing he might still talks to his parents purely out of guilt.    

Made it through Friday with no drama, but it was close.  I had forgot to mention the weirdest part about going to the in-laws:  the dog

My in-laws have this horrible, mean, nasty, 20lb terrier thing that kinda looks like Spuds McKenzie.  He is NOT, however, the original party animal.  He goes completely insane when anyone that isn't my FIL, MIL, or BIL enters his presence.  He even attacked my wife's grandma, biting her, and drawing blood.  He's not big enough to seriously injure, but that just isn't something anyone should be subjected to either.  It's obvious there's just something wrong with this dog, and it should have been put to sleep years ago (my in-laws have had scores of well-behaved dogs over the years, so it's not that they made him like this), but they have some stupid misplaced loyalty to this thing.  Every other friend or family member hates the dog because, and if anyone criticizes the dog, they get upset and defensive.  They always end up muzzling it, or putting it in a bedroom upstairs, but someone (usually my BIL) will make a comment how it's unfair that the dog can't be around everyone else.

So my wife's aunt is terrified of this thing.  While I think dislike is perfectly justified, she totally over-dramatizes her fear.  One time the dog barked at her, and she crawled behind a chair and started screaming in terror.  She could stomp the thing to death if she had to, but she acts like it's a rottweiler with a blood lust.  The aunt made a comment against the dog, and by some act of god, my FIL didn't respond. He had been drinking since 11AM (this was around 4:30PM).  It was a Thanksgiving miracle, and I was able to hit the road after dinner, catch the 2nd half of WVU/OU with some buddies, and attend/celebrate Farmageddon 102.  It was a good weekend.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

The Renaissance Festival in Montgomery with a crew of 16 and 7 kids on Saturday was interesting.

80088fe21048df0acf5ff845a12cc9e7.jpg

Random pic btw. Not my crew, nor is it representative of anyone in my crew.

There is nothing renaissance in that picture.

Drunk overnight shit talking posts are the best.

In all likelihood, it will never come to that because either A) they'll be sane and keep the dog quarantined when kids are around or B) they refuse and kids won't be brought over there.  The odds of this thing ever interacting with my not even conceived children are extremely low.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, tbone_ said:

The Renaissance Festival in Montgomery with a crew of 16 and 7 kids on Saturday was interesting.

80088fe21048df0acf5ff845a12cc9e7.jpg

Random pic btw. Not my crew, nor is it representative of anyone in my crew.

That was the most necessary disclaimer in the short history of this board.  Wow. 

• Like 1

During Thanksgiving, my sister and I were talking about what to do for the Christmas meal. I threw out the idea of doing a taco bar, my kids and brother in law were pumped about it. My dad, however, is not happy. He wants his honey-baked ham, dammit. He's the only person that wants it, too. Fast forward to last night, I call sis to finalize the details, she says Dad is still peeved about the tacos. If my mother was still alive, no doubt we'd have ham and mashed potatoes, all the rest. But it's just not the same without her, she was an amazing cook and my wife and sister are not. So I'm gonna get to hear about the tacos all Christmas day. Yay.

During Thanksgiving, my sister and I were talking about what to do for the Christmas meal. I threw out the idea of doing a taco bar, my kids and brother in law were pumped about it. My dad, however, is not happy. He wants his honey-baked ham, dammit. He's the only person that wants it, too. Fast forward to last night, I call sis to finalize the details, she says Dad is still peeved about the tacos. If my mother was still alive, no doubt we'd have ham and mashed potatoes, all the rest. But it's just not the same without her, she was an amazing cook and my wife and sister are not. So I'm gonna get to hear about the tacos all Christmas day. Yay.

It can get pretty complicated to put a pre-cooked ham in the oven to heat it up.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Eating tacos >>> whining

Props to your sister.

12 minutes ago, luke duke said:

It can get pretty complicated to put a pre-cooked ham in the oven to heat it up.

It's not complicated for women to do lots of things, yet we have a whole thread dedicated to their struggles. Plus, only one person wants the ham anyway. Pops can eat a taco and relax. Or make a ham sandwich, I don't care.

No, wife's folks. Out near Junction.

Christmas neighbor? I’ll be out that way off of Hwy 83 for 5 days around Christmas. The hardest part is somehow smuggling out son’s presents out there without him noticing as he still kind of believes in Santa.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Buffsoldier said:

Y'know, your Dad might be a PITA about it because he associates the ham, Christmas, and his wife all together as part of great memories of Christmas's past.  And since his wife is gone and he misses her terribly, it's something he holds on to.  And he may not be able or willing to express it.  Not having the ham could be a stark and harsh reminder to him that it's another Christmas he can't have with his wife.  I'd consider things from his point of view and make an allowance for the old codger.

Or I could be full of shit.  You know him better than I do...

Eh, I don't know. I mean, he misses my mom like crazy but it's been 11 years and he's never acted like this before. I think he's just being an old grump, which is his usual MO. I still love the guy, but he can be a pain sometimes.

19 minutes ago, Buffsoldier said:

Y'know, your Dad might be a PITA about it because he associates the ham, Christmas, and his wife all together as part of great memories of Christmas's past.  And since his wife is gone and he misses her terribly, it's something he holds on to.  And he may not be able or willing to express it.  Not having the ham could be a stark and harsh reminder to him that it's another Christmas he can't have with his wife.  I'd consider things from his point of view and make an allowance for the old codger.

Agreed, surprise with some consideration.

999999-691479120001.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 8:06 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Made it through Friday with no drama, but it was close.  I had forgot to mention the weirdest part about going to the in-laws:  the dog

My in-laws have this horrible, mean, nasty, 20lb terrier thing that kinda looks like Spuds McKenzie.  He is NOT, however, the original party animal.  He goes completely insane when anyone that isn't my FIL, MIL, or BIL enters his presence.  He even attacked my wife's grandma, biting her, and drawing blood.  He's not big enough to seriously injure, but that just isn't something anyone should be subjected to either.  It's obvious there's just something wrong with this dog, and it should have been put to sleep years ago (my in-laws have had scores of well-behaved dogs over the years, so it's not that they made him like this), but they have some stupid misplaced loyalty to this thing.  Every other friend or family member hates the dog because, and if anyone criticizes the dog, they get upset and defensive.  They always end up muzzling it, or putting it in a bedroom upstairs, but someone (usually my BIL) will make a comment how it's unfair that the dog can't be around everyone else.

What a little bitch.  Also who still complains about shit like that being unfair?  Selfish prick.  

Edited by RollLeft

1 hour ago, Buffsoldier said:

Ho mother fucking ho ho right there....100% spot on.

Gonna go with team ham for Xmas. You can have your tacos too, and I'll gladly have a few, but no ham on Xmas ??  fuck that noise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Eh, I don't know. I mean, he misses my mom like crazy but it's been 11 years and he's never acted like this before. I think he's just being an old grump, which is his usual MO. I still love the guy, but he can be a pain sometimes.

Tis the season.

I usually pick out what I'm going to make the next Christmas dinner at the current one, to get people a chance to say their bit, which I can then ignore.

• Like 3

Ok then, his come with extra salsa.  

Just fucking with you, but I'm 100% sure you were never a pain in the ass when he was raising you....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

What a little bitch.  Also who still complains about shit like that being unfair?  Selfish prick.  

You have nailed so much here.  

Let's just say this kid has never heard that he's anything other than a victim of the world for the entirety of his life and now he's 27, seasonally employed, and lives with his parents where he spends his free time smoking weed and playing video games.  He seems to have no desire to do anything else.  FIL was abused as a kid and their parenting style seems like an over-correction to the way he was raised.  The kids are put on a pedestal, and there is no tough love.  The wife turned out to be motivated, driven, and thoughtful, but I'm thinking that was just luck.

Edited by Al_4_ISU