ISU @ Texas 7PM on LHN

horn_of_the_morning

18 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
16 hours ago, BigHorn said:
The only problem I see here is you not telling the owners of these establishments to quit fucking around and get a channel offered by everyone but Xfinity/ comcast. 

Uh, spectrum aka shitrum nee shithouse doesnt offer it either.

channel 383 on Spectrum/Time Warner Cable

Long-standing question: is Lowell Galindo related to someone at ESPiN World HQ? Or maybe he's got mob juice, or the like? There has to be some explanation for his continued employment. The fact that he's working a MAC game seems to indicate that he works for ESPiN and not specifically for LHN. 

Someone needs to let CDC know he needs to get hold of ESPiN and tell them we need to dump this dipshit, stat.

• Like 1

He’s a friend of Mack’s.  Plus he’s the only guy willing to work for less than a local news traffic reporter.   If the channel ever starts making money ie never then maybe he will be replaced.  I personally don’t think he is that terrible.  He’s a lot better than Tim brando or some clod fuck like that

6 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s a friend of Mack’s.  Plus he’s the only guy willing to work for less than a local news traffic reporter.   If the channel ever starts making money ie never then maybe he will be replaced.  I personally don’t think he is that terrible.  He’s a lot better than Tim brando or some clod fuck like that

Just make Manny Acho the anchor and call it a day. I would love to see Herman split his ass in a film session when he starts bitching. 

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

That's not saying much. A discarded jizzrag would be better than Tim Brando.

Edited by Bevo14

18 minutes ago, Whatever said:

I'm taking my 6 yo boy to the game. It will be his 2nd game (1st was KU last season). He knows all the words to Texas Fight & Eyes, and loves Wabash Cannonball and the Texas Fight chant. I'm damn proud of the kid.

My three year old loves Texas Fight and the Eyes. He stayed for the whole TCU game. But this game is too late for him. 

Edited by hornian
  • Like 1

Everyone with a TV service can log on to ESPN.com or the WatchESPN app, enter their TV service log in information and watch the game, correct? Or does their TV service have to include LHN for it to be accessible when they log in to ESPN?

Asking for whiney no LHN-having losers, not myself. I’ll be in the club section drinking Tito’s and G2, watching the game live while my DVR records LHN for me to re-watch the game while hungover (but hydrated at championship level) on the couch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hornian said:

My three year old loves Texas Fight and the Eyes. He stayed for the whole TCU game. But this game is too late for him. 

Awesome.  Taking my 12 year-old to his first game Sat.  Gave him a choice of Texas or the Cowboys.  He chose wisely.  Batshit crazy 6 year-old and wife are staying in the hotel.

• Like 1

(Scipio Tex) Iowa State Cyclones Preview

Iowa State has had two seasons in one year. 

In their first mini-season, ISU was a 1-3 team with a bad offense that struggled to score points, averaged 17.5 per game, and lost contests with scores like 13-3 (to Iowa) and 17-14 (to TCU). Their early season defining and only win was a 13 point victory over Akron. The 2018 season looked like it would be a sophomore slump for Campbell after a promising 2017....

Their second season began when Campbell inserted true freshman 3rd string QB Brock Purdy against Oklahoma State and the dual threat youngster responded with 402 total yards and five touchdowns. Since that decision, the Cyclones have reeled off five consecutive wins while doubling their previous scoring average. While the young dual threat QB catalyzed Matt Campbell's offense, the Iowa State defense has remained the Big 12's best by almost any metric. 

The Cyclone Offense 

ISU is popularly perceived as a running team - which they are by percentage of play calls (62% run) - but almost all of their upside and explosiveness is found in the passing game. Even with the insertion of dual threat Brock Purdy, ISU has averaged only 3.9 yards per carry over their last five games and they've only topped 200 yards rushing once the entire season, when they hammered West Virginia in Ames. 

In fact, over their last three games, facing three of the weakest defenses on their conference schedule in Texas Tech, Kansas, and Baylor, they've only managed 139.3 yards per game at 3.5 yards per carry. The Longhorn defense is roughly on par with those three units from a performance standpoint, so it's a useful comparison. I guess that fact should make us sad and oddly encouraged. Bottom line: if Texas gets run on, lack of defensive talent as the culprit doesn't pass the sniff test. 

Where ISU thrives is in the play action passing game. That's what the Texas coaches really need to focus on and address. Eye discipline and lazy steps will get punished. With Purdy at the helm, they're averaging nearly 11 yards per pass attempt and have 13 passing touchdowns in 5 games to only 7 touchdowns on the ground. This aspect of their offense is built around high efficiency - Purdy has thrown 27, 25, 25, 25, 24 pass attempts (I detect a pattern) in his starts and an inordinate number of his throws are one read deep routes to 6-6 wideout Hakeem Butler. If it's not there, he'll buy time with his feet and improvise (he's not panicky - he only has 2 INTs) or take off running. 

David Montgomery is a very good RB. He'll miss the first half of the contest for fighting a Baylor moron, but his production doesn't really match his skill level. He's averaging 4.5 yards per carry on the season. Why? The short answer is that the ISU OL is really average. 

Hakeem Butler is the most dangerous deep threat in the league and his 36-816-8td stat line and a 22.7 yard per catch average shouldn't surprise anyone given that he's had 8 catches of 40+ yards this season. He's 6-6, 225, has legit deep speed and a massive catch radius. I can't imagine there's a tougher deep ball cover with the ball in the air in college football. Texas has to keep a safety on his his side at all times and explain to that player in clear terms that they're not there to jump shorter routes. 

Iowa State has good support personnel - blocking tight ends, fullbacks etc. They don't have any stats, but they're good enablers for the play action game. 

The hidden weakness of this Iowa State team is their OL play. They don't get great push at the point of attack and they're not always sound in pass blocking even though they have only given 19 sacks in 9 games. That's one of the reasons Campbell pounds the running game, so that when he does throw deep, opposing pass rushers have to play honestly. 

The Iowa State running game shouldn't beat us. We should play them honestly. No light boxes. Don't overplay the run until it's short yardage or the ten zone. What will beat us is junk blitzes, trying to guess the run instead of playing keys, allowing 1 on 1 deep shots to Butler, or losing contain on Purdy on 3rd down. Purdy has been an incredibly composed freshman, but he's a freshman nonetheless. When Texas brings pressure, bring it instantly with men on or near the line of scrimmage. Force quick throws so that the defensive backs have a fighting chance and can play fast. Run some late play clock overloads and force Purdy to audible with a dwindling play clock in front of a loud Longhorn crowd. Iowa State doesn't play much tempo and tends to bleed play clock, so there's no excuse for lack of communication. 

The Cyclone Defense 

Along with Texas, the Cyclones were the Big 12's best defense last year. Like Texas, they lost their most acclaimed LB (All-American Joel Lanning) and their most disruptive D-Lineman, but unlike Texas, they didn't lose two important safeties, but four.

This year, unlike Texas, they're still the Big 12's best defense. Huh. Weird.

The ISU DL features two stout run pluggers in Ray Lima and Jamahl Johnson. They also rotate in big Matt Leo and, last I read, key reserve Eyioma Uwazurike is out with a hamstring. Lima is basically their upgraded version of Chris Nelson and he's tough to move. All of the ISU DL are tough in the trenches and make it hard to run inside. They do a nice job of shielding ISU's second level of linebackers and safeties. DE Ja'Quan Bailey is their best pass rusher and disrupter. He's basically Malcolm Roach and the player we must most account for as a pure pass rusher. 

It's tempting to run around ISU's big boys inside, but that's where the league's best LB corps comes in. The three of them (ISU plays plenty of 3-3, not just 3-2-6) are all between 215-230, run well, play fundamentally, and understand their role in the larger defense. It's very difficult to cut back on them as they're disciplined, understand tackling angles and rarely overrun. Marcel Spears and Willie Harvey man the outside and true freshman Mike Rose has been a very pleasant surprise for them inside. Harvey and Spears are terrific at blitzing and in pass coverage. Like most of the effective LBs in the Big 12, none of them were highly recruited or highly ranked coming out of high school, which tells you something about the persistent category errors that characterize the bad evals at this position in the world of spread offenses. 

Their best player in the secondary is cornerback Brian Peavy. Think Quandre Diggs - 5-9, 195 with a lot of pop and arguably better quickness. He holds up surprisingly well against big receivers, but I'm anxious to see if this is something Texas can exploit as ISU often uses him as a single coverage eraser while they cheat coverage elsewhere. Greg Ellsworth has proven to be a capable run support safety and Braxton Lewis puts on a pretty good exhibition of what a well-coached nickel does. 

When they don't bring Harvey and Spears, ISU's defense loves to drop 8 with Rose acting as a deep spy who closes on the QB if they break contain. Texas has shown a lot more sophistication and flexibility in our passing game in the second half of the season and we should be grateful that the offense is facing this defense in mid November rather than early September. I don't think we'll be running max protect while ISU rushes three as we did against Maryland. 

The Cyclones have the critical mass of quality players necessary to play good defense, but what's noticeable is that their pure role players (about half of their defense) are very well coached and fundamental. Unsurprisingly, they're also one of the least penalized teams in the conference. The two offenses that did pretty well against them (OU and OSU) responded to heavy coverage approaches by running the QB extensively and spreading the field with even more eligible receivers and finding the talent gaps.

Special Teams 

Nothing special. Good placekicker, below average punting. Their coverage teams are good. 

Final Thoughts

I have zero clue who wins this game. Iowa State's offense is solvable, particularly given a favorable crowd environment, but right now I don't trust where our defense is to execute consistently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Holy shit, guys.  Download the Playstation Vue app on your smart TV, and sign up for the free trial.  Cancel after the game.

what channel do I go to to get the Vue app with my rabbit ears?  should I point them towards the rising or setting sun?  or maybe Orion's belt?

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

what channel do I go to to get the Vue app with my rabbit ears?  should I point them towards the rising or setting sun?  or maybe Orion's belt?

The  aerial should always be directed toward Uranus.

Edited by brakeman
ok hook me
  • Like 1