Texas vs. OU Sat 12/1 @11:00 AM

MirrOlure

If there’s anything that should motivate this team it’s the fact that almost no one things their going to win.  If I see or hear one more segment about how ou is the only team that can beat or really challenge alabama...

They’ve already penciled ou in as (easily) winning this big 12 championship

• Like 3

If there’s anything that should motivate this team it’s the fact that almost no one things their going to win.  If I see or hear one more segment about how ou is the only team that can beat or really challenge alabama...

Yes.

tbone’s 2nd law of college football: The more people that think Team X can’t lose, the more likely Team X is to lose. Happens all the time.

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Any OU injury updates?

I second this question, seriously. I haven't scouted out the scuttlebutt on their boards regarding injury and haven't read much in the media publications. I believe their top 3 safeties are out and that they're starting two freshmen, but outside of that I know very little.

Calcaterra is back to full strength, right?

I know we can expect multiple drama queens on the DL to go down to injury, have to helped off the field and force a referee timeout, and then miraculously come back in two series later. Gallimore is almost a guarantee for this, and the #72 seems to really enjoy doing it as well. This is known in my world as the Antwan Kirk-Hughes maneuver, and these pussies do it about as well as the original master.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I second this question, seriously. I haven't scouted out the scuttlebutt on their boards regarding injury and haven't read much in the media publications. I believe their top 3 safeties are out and that they're starting two freshmen, but outside of that I know very little.

I know we can expect multiple drama queens on the DL to go down to injury, have to helped off the field and force a referee timeout, and then miraculously come back in two series later. Gallimore is almost a guarantee for this, and the #72 seems to really enjoy doing it as well. This is known in my world as the Antwan Kirk-Hughes maneuver, and these pussies do it about as well as the original master.

Caught 2 for 22 yards and a TD last week. 

21 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Actually the line moved to 8. Now, as a general rule I never touch games that I have an emotional interest in, as it clouds my bull shit meter. But 8? 

So, I plan on scraping together as much cash as I possibly can up today and dropping it on this game. There is absolutely no fucking way OU can cover that spread unless the damn thing really is rigged, 8?

Unless I have been watching some other OU team. They would have covered only 6 of their games this entire year by that same spread, and that includes FAU and UCLA. They wouldn’t have covered that spread against fucking Army!

And now they put that number out against Texas? Man, that just looks really fucked up.

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t appreciate your overall sentiment. Grant is fine. Safety is a mess, but also was a mess before injuries. 

Riley said in his presser that he didn’t expect anyone back that we didn’t have for WVU, but also didn’t lose any additional bodies. 

OB War Room:

(From Anwar) 

The War Room is back after taking a week off for Thanksgiving. 

The Thanksgiving leftovers should be gone by now, but I hope you saved some room for Longhorn nuggets. 

Without any delay, I will give you a plethora of Longhorn notes that hopefully satisfies your appetite for football news.

--- This is a small note, but an important one. 

I have heard nothing but positive things about how this team has looked during practice with Oklahoma right around the corner. Sure, the coaches will say the right things, but others associated with the program have confirmed what we have heard this week. 

One person close to the program told me the players looked ready for Oklahoma earlier this week, and the intensity in practice was noticeable. 

By the way, as I spoke with players this week about Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray, each respected him, but I sensed nobody was in awe. 

In fact, there were times I sensed players were getting a little annoyed with the constant questions about Murray’s greatness. Do not get me wrong, they were very respectful. I could just tell by their eyes and responses that they did not put Murray on the same pedestal as everyone in the media.

That quiet confidence could be a positive sign for the Longhorns on Saturday. 

--- The biggest story this week, which some tried to downplay, was former Kansas coach David Beaty’s impact in Herman’s preparation for Oklahoma.

I previously reported Beaty was going to fly into Austin to help Herman prepare for the Big 12 Championship game. That report was confirmed by Herman during his press conference on Monday. 

However, Herman tried to soften the significance of Beaty’s visit, which ended up being a phone call after snow prevented the former Kansas coach from flying out.

“Yeah, I don't know why that's news,” Herman said. “Whenever you play an opponent, and then you don't play that opponent again, and you have friends on that staff, you're going to call 'em and say, ‘Hey, what did you have on us?’ So, we got done playing USC, we called the coaches at USC and said, ‘Hey, what did you have on us? Here is what we had on you.’ You share that information to help -- it's all self-scout stuff like here is when so and so DB lines up in this stance, it's man, and when it's in this stance, it's zone. You get lost at times. As good of coaches as we have, you're so focused on game planning for your opponent that sometimes you lose sight of what your opponent is game planning for you.

“It's always nice to have a fresh set of eyes. Talking about signals, they had some of the signals for us that we wanted to, hey, do we need to change signals, so a lot of it, really all of it was self-scout type stuff like here is what we had on you. It's very common. It just so happened that we were playing this week, and they weren't. He's a friend of mine, and we weren't going to play each other again, but the visit actually never materialized because of the blizzard in Kansas City, but we did talk to them extensively on the phone, talked to David, Clint Bowen, Kenny Perry, their special teams coordinator. 
All of that stuff is commonplace to say, hey, what do you got on us? And how have we evolved as a team? I think we're running the ball more consistently offensively.”

I spoke to a person close to Herman this week, and was told coaches typically share information with each other. 

However, I asked that person how often does a coach fly into a city to meet with a head coach. I was told this situation was different because Herman and Beaty are close friends. 

In fact, that person reminded me that Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley, who voiced his displeasure about Beaty helping Herman, has a brother (Garrett) who was a tight ends/fullbacks coach at Kansas.

“Do you really think Lincoln isn’t going to ask his brother for the signals and tendencies that Texas has?” a person in the building asked me. 

Hey, he had a good point. 

I asked multiple people about Beaty’s impact, and I was told he provided good insight. 

From what I was told, the staff learned about defensive signals opposing teams were aware of that had been passed around the conference. They were also informed of tendencies and different alignments as to where their blitzes were coming from. As a result, changes were made this week. 

From an offensive perspective, there were few formation tendencies that tipped off opposing defenses, too. Again, there were will be changes on the offensive side of the ball, too. Obviously, I was not given anything specific about those changes. 

Even if Beaty’s input does not have a huge impact, Longhorn fans should be happy to know Herman went all out in his effort to defeat Oklahoma for a second time this season. 

--- Nobody that matters was upset about Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger’s social media activity this week. 

As you know, Murray was asked if he respected Ehlinger’s game, and the quarterback refused to comment. Ehlinger returned to Twitter and tweeted “OK. Cool. Hook Em!” However, Ehlinger was aloof when asked about his tweet by reporters on Wednesday. 

When I spoke to people associated with the program, nobody had an issue with Ehlinger. 

“He was having fun, taking pride in his school, and he’s not going to be disrespected by anybody from Oklahoma,” I was told. 

--- I asked Herman what the next day or so will look like for Texas before his team plays against Oklahoma. 

Herman said the team will begin meetings around 8:30 a.m. on Friday. After the meetings, the team will board a bus and head straight to AT&T Stadium in Arlington. Herman said the team will have a walk-through at the stadium in an effort to get the “awe” out of the system for some players. 

When I asked about flying to Dallas, Herman said it was just easier to drive.

“Most of the players prefer it,” Herman said. “A half-hour drive to the airport, you’ve got to load the plane, an hour flight, unload the plane, another half-hour, or hour drive to the stadium to save 45 minutes or so. They’d rather sprawl out, watch a movie, or take a nap. We’ll bus up there, as we did in October.” 

Herman said his team will have a 20-minute walk-through after the hotel before departing for the stadium.

5 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I'm so fucking ready for this game. Texas is clearly the more physical team and that is going to play a major role in putting the land thieves in their place.

That's where I am. We've actually been the more physical team for a few years now. Now they seem to have turned into an entitled mindset. They want this game and think they'll really show us, but

1e4G.gif

interesting chess match.  I'm curious which longhorn team shows up.  The dominant, first time around/Iowa state mofo's  or the trying to hard in their heads trying to be perfect team.  I wonder how sams shoulder is, i wonder if Hager wants to rip murrys head off and shyt down his neck.  I wonder if the defense is in fact so sick of hearing about BlowU, that they want to destory all that wear the shitty crimson 

inquiring minds 

3 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Feels a lot like when we were playing USC for the championship and everyone couldn't stop talking about how that USC team was the second coming.

1 minute ago, sachick said:

Feels a lot like when we were playing USC for the championship and everyone couldn't stop talking about how that USC team was the second coming.

God it was nauseating as ESPN did all these comparisons of that usc team to other “greatest” teams of all time, and how ‘05 usc would win. 

IT

T-minus 24 hours and counting until the Death Star launches.

TEAM

It isn't a week the team needed outside motivation, but it has been presented in the form of all Big 12 Conference snubs and a consensus feeling outside the program that OU is going to win. In the day and age of social media, of course outside noise filters in.

This culminated in a great week of practice. "It was a great week, just like before Iowa State. Tuesday was very physical. Poor scout team, they got beat up like they want to beat up OU. Lots of energy this week, as you'd expect."

This is a pretty confident bunch, but not over-confident.
"They learned some valuable lessons this season. The first game taught them a lot; they can beat OU, and they can lose to OU. They understand how dangerous they are. But winning that game gives them all the confidence they need. They're especially confident in their toughness. Beat them up and points will follow."

Injuries are and aren't a question heading into the game. How is Sam?
"It's the same with him. The staff has done what they can to put him on a pitch count and limit his throwing but all it takes is one unfortunate hit to re-aggravate it to the point that throwing is nearly impossible. They've limited him as much as they can within reason. They know he's going to have to throw the ball around. I expect Sam to have a big game. He never needs motivation, but I think it's pretty clear how bad he wants to hold another one over Murray."

Brandon Jones has been another one fans have worried about. How is he?
"He's the best he's been since re-injuring his ankle weeks ago. He looks fine, normal. The worst part is the chiding he took for suffering that big hit on punt return."

It seemed like the defense really suffered versus Oklahoma State and West Virginia with him out. Is it that simple?
"I don't think so, but that didn't help. That defense was just unprepared. The players thought they could just show up and play. That was another valuable lesson they learned this season. The level of focus needed has been restored."

Realistically how good can the defense play this week?
"Their expectations are very high, but I don't know if they're realistic. They think they're ready to play their best game of the season and are very confident they're going to play better than they did in the first meeting. This defense is much more comfortable with the game plan the second go around. OU's offense doesn't have near the room for improvement the Texas defense does. I think some ground has been made up."

How different are the game plans from the first tilt?
"Not much, but there are certainly some wrinkles. There's some stuff on offense they'll go to in the right situation to pull out all the stops. On defense there's a blitz package or two OU hasn't seen this season. Of course there are plans to defend Kyler as a runner in different ways if needed. They certainly want to get hits on him."

We know physicality is a clear advantage for Texas, what are some others?
"The staff feels confident in the Texas o-line versus OU's defensive line. Basically they like UT's chances to run the ball with a healthy tandem of Watson and Ingram. There's always Ehlinger too. Yards after contact is a big advantage, whether it's a running back or receiver, they're available. Just be physical."

What's the key to the game. What was worked on a lot this week?
"Containing Kyler. Containment was worked on non-stop from the varying defensive looks to ensure everyone knows their assignment. They need to limit his big plays, keep him in the pocket, and get some blitzes home. He'll make mistakes if that happens. I'm expecting a big game from the defensive line. Roach at nose is something they didn't see the first time. Omenihu is playing well and highly motivated. He's always motivated but this type of stage will have a lot NFL people watching. Of course Breckyn wants a haircut."

How does Texas lose this game?
"The team knows it's possible that Kyler can put them away if they don't do their job. I think everyone knows that's possible. That offense is amazing, but that just helps them focus and relish the opportunity. Because of OU's offense there isn't much margin for error on either side of the ball. If the team plays like it did in the losses or even some of the wins it isn't good enough. If they play their A game they're going to win."

NCAA TRANSFER PORTAL

Texas had its first name appear in the new NCAA transfer portal this week. If you've read the tea leaves and depth charts, it shouldn't be difficult to decipher who it is. But it wouldn't be cool to release the name because there's a chance if he didn't like what potential new programs were selling him, he can actually return to school. We've heard these kids can actually visit schools, then withdraw their name if they don't think they'll find a better situation. It's something we are monitoring daily.

5 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Jerryworld has a retractable roof, correct? They ever open that thing? Saturday is supposed to be great weather. It would be nice if they opened it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tops drop only in houston

3 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Actually the line moved to 8. Now, as a general rule I never touch games that I have an emotional interest in, as it clouds my bull shit meter. But 8? 

So, I plan on scraping together as much cash as I possibly can up today and dropping it on this game. There is absolutely no fucking way OU can cover that spread unless the damn thing really is rigged, 8?

Unless I have been watching some other OU team. They would have covered only 6 of their games this entire year by that same spread, and that includes FAU and UCLA. They wouldn’t have covered that spread against fucking Army!

And now they put that number out against Texas? Man, that just looks really fucked up.

That's what is scary. It looks completely fucked up and begging people to put dough on Texas. 

3 hours ago, Hamttx said:

dude, the Big 12 wants an OU win. don't bet this game. we are running uphill on this one. we should win. we are the better team. but there are forces beyond our control.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, po elvis said:

dude, the Big 12 wants an OU win. don't bet this game. we are running uphill on this one. we should win. we are the better team. but there are forces beyond our control.

and you know ESPN wants a Kyler vs. Tua matchup. Don't be shocked if this one is called.... poorly.