The “revenge” factor

Goredho

Is way overrated, imo.  OU gets to tweak their gameplan, but so do we and neither team can reshape who they are at this point.  We are a youngish team still learning to play at a high level consistently.  We are pretty solid on both sides of the ball as long as our starters are in. Oklahoma is a team with a great offense, very suspect defense and a QB capable of taking over and winning a game they shouldn’t win.  None of that is going to change between now and Saturday.

The revenge factor probably means OU is laser-focused in practice this week, so they will arrive prepared and we will get their A game.  But with a conference championship to play for, I expect us to be uber prepared as well, and in a match up of our A game vs theirs, I think we win.  We’re basically structured to beat a team like OU — solid defense limiting their scoring when they have the ball coupled with an offense that can produce long drives resulting in scores that limits their offensive opportunities and wears down their shitty D.

So I think if we arrive as prepared and focused as game 1, it plays out much the same.  If we arrive less prepared and focused than at the RRS, OU will likely win.  If we get to the 4th quarter and it’s within two scores, Murray gives them a punchers chance to steal the win.  “Revenge” won’t be a factor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

I agree with everything that you said. I would add that we also have a QB capable of taking over a game and winning a game that we shouldn't win.

Yeah, I think Sam is a better QB, it’s just that KM can take it to the house on any pass play or designed QB run.  Sam isn’t quite that explosive.

Edited by Goredho

Revenge factor doesn’t exist.  We are the better team than these fucks, period.  Our guys should be fucking pissed that we let them back in the game earlier this year after taking a 21 point lead in Q4.  We won’t let off the gas this time.  Fuck ou.  Our guys are going to play their best game of the season on Saturday.  We are going to be fucking ready.

Let OU know: we coming for that ass 

10 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Honestly, I think our guys will be even more motivated than the OU players. Why? Because OU always expected to win, despite getting the L in October. I've seen a bunch of OU fans describe our win as the blind squirrel happening upon a nut. It was a fluke to them. In their minds, they were the best team and still are. I don't see them coming out to seek revenge because in their minds that loss didn't really count. They're in the Championship game just like they expected to be. And they will play the identical game they played against us in October because they are the same team.

We, however, are not. Assuming a healthy Sam, he has more control over the offense than he had in October. The o-line is playing better. The defense, while banged up, seems to have dialed themselves back in re: assignments and tackling (the result of more physical practices before ISU). I don't know what the OU defense does in practice. Maybe they get manicures, have their assholes bleached while they eat fondu. That defense will be the same. 

OU isn't a "heart" team, especially under Riley. They're the most finesse of finessin' teams I've ever laid eyes on. Physicality and heart come from your leaders. For some teams that's a coach. For most it's the QB. Every player on that team knows that Murphy isn't laying it on the line for any of them. The opposite is true of Ehlinger.

So no, they aren't going to come out and try to win for revenge, or any other heart-themed reason. They are going to play the same video game shit they have all year.

so you're saying, "after the game Hagar gets a haircut, and Surly gets MS Paint to celebrate the conference championship!  Excellent

i was thinking of that jackass KM this morning, smirking and saying 'no comment' about playing Texas again next week...

what an arrogant prick. he's a college athlete. how hard would it have been to say 'they're a good team, we had a hard game and a tough loss last month, i'm looking forward to having another shot at winning' or some normal good sportsman-like phrasing.

i hope we crush them and their spirit. what a dick.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i was thinking of that jackass KM this morning, smirking and saying 'no comment' about playing Texas again next week...

what an arrogant prick. he's a college athlete. how hard would it have been to say 'they're a good team, we had a hard game and a tough loss last month, i'm looking forward to having another shot at winning' or some normal good sportsman-like phrasing.

i hope we crush them and their spirit. what a dick.

Hopefully the smirking pussy will be crying like a bitch again on Saturday.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 8:33 AM, TexArcher said:

All the revenge talk and bullentin board material in the world can't change the fact that their defense is a slut.

Has anyone seen any appreciable improvement in their D since McNeil took over?  I haven't despite the assurances of how much better they were going to be.  Asking for a friend...

It's actually gotten worse. 
I was browsing dirt burglars this morning (can't help myself), and the consensus there was the same--their defense is worse now than it was in October. They were especially worried about lb play. But they think their offense is a lot better now, which very well may be true.

11 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
18 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:
It's actually gotten worse. 

I was browsing dirt burglars this morning (can't help myself), and the consensus there was the same--their defense is worse now than it was in October. They were especially worried about lb play. But they think their offense is a lot better now, which very well may be true.

OU is getting a bunch of points and yards.  They've also had multiple TOs in 3 of their last 4 games.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:33 AM, TexArcher said:

All the revenge talk and bullentin board material in the world can't change the fact that their defense is a slut.

The OU defense's butthole is so stretched out, when the defense farts, it sounds like torn up sheets flapping in the wind.

Oompa Loompa do-ba-dee-doo,

I’ve got an Ewok riddle for you.

Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-doo,

I've got an aggy transfer for you.

Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-dee,

What is his name? It’s Kyler Mur-ray.

What do you get when you guzzle down meth?

Half-pint bitch-ass sports-s-man-ship.

What do you do when you're only 4'9"?

aggy says aggy always runs out of time.

What are you at being such a bitch-ass?

Do you eat bags of dicks like the rest of your team?

Take the loss, pussy.

Oompa Loompa do-ba-dee-da,

Your bad manners will tarnish your star.

You won’t live in happiness too,

Like the oompa loompa do-ba-dee-doo.

Do-ba-dee-doo.

• Like 1

- The conference shouldn't have this championship game given the round robin.  It's stupid and reactive. 

- That said, we get to play in it this year and that's awesome. 

- *AND* we get opportunity to spoil OU's playoff hopes with a win, and that's awesome. 

- Then, hopefully tomorrow proves out the foolhardiness of this game so when we go undefeated next year, they've gotten rid of it, and we don't have to play a 3 loss chump we've already beaten to get to a playoff we already deserve to be in.   

(I say this fully understanding they won't get rid of this stupid title game, but one can hope) 

9 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

- The conference shouldn't have this championship game given the round robin.  It's stupid and reactive. 

- That said, we get to play in it this year and that's awesome. 

- *AND* we get opportunity to spoil OU's playoff hopes with a win, and that's awesome. 

- Then, hopefully tomorrow proves out the foolhardiness of this game so when we go undefeated next year, they've gotten rid of it, and we don't have to play a 3 loss chump we've already beaten to get to a playoff we already deserve to be in.   

(I say this fully understanding they won't get rid of this stupid title game, but one can hope) 

Just about every week during football season something gives the impression that this conference was cobbled together with duct tape and bailing wire by a functionally retarded chimpanzee.

As long as our corners don't run into each other on crossing routes or whatever and the defense doesn't have massive brainfarts in the 4th quarter, we got this shit. They're super fuckin soft and Kyler Murray is the living embodiment their softness.

Edited by Bevo14

42 minutes ago, po elvis said:

i think the team that won the first game typically thinks "what we did the first time worked, so why change anything?". the losing team spends their time making adjustments to what worked for the other team.

Yeah, I just don't think OU is going to discover a magical gameplan that is going to make them not suck for change on defense.  The first game was not a contest between evenly matched teams, like say USC/Texas in 2005.  For 3/4 of the game, OU was dominated.  They just managed to score on a few haymakers late to make it close.  If it was some contest where it went back and forth with the team having the ball at the end winning it, then I think the minor tweaks that could be made to the gameplan might come into play.

But if our players had a bad week of preparation because they think they are better than OU, while OU has been preparing hard, then that could make a big difference.

I may be losing my mind, but I thought I read (here? though I can’t find it with the search) that in conference championship games that are rematches of regular season games, the winner in the regular season wins 60% of the championship games. 

Given that teams in championship games are probably at least above average, that’s a pretty fair rate.