Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

For the weapons guys, how accurate is this when firing and forget like this?

If that’s a javelin, I can’t tell, being able to fire and then return to cover was the major improvement over earlier anti tank launchers.

Edited by heso

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Yeah I mentioned Minuteman because I thought they were treaty-limited to one warhead.  The wild one to me was Peacekeeper with up to 12, but they were decommissioned.  Wasn’t sure about Trident.

I would guess the other two slots on the Minuteman bus are currently filled with penetration aids?  

I would like to request that you not delve into this subject. Thanks. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

My old boss was an ex-Navy nuke that married a Ukrainian mail order bride. He was very nice but nerdy and goofy. She was close to 20 years younger than him. Not really a looker. Very smart but very weird.

Every one I’ve met that has been successful has been like this. Extreme dork dude, very weird E. European wife. Usually with a control dynamic that was unspoken but obvious. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, heso said:

If that’s a javelin, which it appears to be, being able to fire and then return to cover was the major improvement over earlier anti tank launchers.

Thanks, I know if I were using one, I'd sure as hell only want to pop out for a second to fire it.

7 minutes ago, Fico said:

RPGs aren't considered fire and forget, they are unguided rockets. Would be like saying a rifle is fire and forget, technically yea, once you pull the trigger you can forget about guiding it. 

Javelins and other ATGMs are fire & forget if the round guides itself to the target after launch vs you having to stay aimed at the target and guide the round yourself, like a TOW. 

Yep, all a product of smaller, more powerful computers.  TOW was wire-guided and had all the guidance computing power in the launcher.

44 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Aeroflot will have to go old school with bookings now. Pen, paper, and a phone. Not that they could fly anyway without parts from Boeing. 

Talked to someone from a major airline about that.  They were pretty clear... "they're SOL"

• Like 1

I know in the past we laced targets on the ground in order to guide munitions (mainly aerial bombs), I am wondering now if we can lace them from space with satellites and help ground troops hit targets.  Not at all implying that we are currently doing this, but are we capable of this sort of thing?

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I wish he would stop doing this…(fan girl I am aside)…Russian lawmakers tell media Zelenskyy has fled to Poland so he posts this…to show he’s still in Kyiv. Stop doing that shit man.

Especially if there were some stuff in the background that were dead-giveaway Polish stuff. Lulz.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I know we like to think of evil as evil, and to an extent I agree with it, but unfortunately there's also perspective and context. For a variety of reasons Putin has been able to set himself up as a sort of hero to the disenfranchised white male, and the supporters of that particular tribe. Not just in the US, but in Europe as well. He's conscious about it, and sees himself in that sense, too.

Anyone who buys his bullshit should be taken out back, get one in the back of the head, and their family should be sent a bill for the bullet.  And I would be paying for a few bullets under that scenario.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

While we continue to cheer on the pouring out bottles of Stolichnaya and the widespread posting of Ukrainian flags on blue check mark accounts- the US continues to import millions of barrels of Russian oil each day.

Kinda sad really. 

old post for this thread so sorry, but posts like this remind me to ask @immamac for a neutral "WTF?" button. Where you don't automatically think the poster is a dumbass but you are curious about the source of the info (Ted Lasso did have a point, be curious not judgmental). 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I know in the past we lased targets on the ground in order to guide munitions (mainly aerial bombs), I am wondering now if we can lase them from space with satellites and help ground troops hit targets.  Not at all implying that we are currently doing this, but are we capable of this sort of thing?

This would be very difficult to do well. Any satellites would be moving over the ground very fast. (You can make satellites stationary on the ground, but you have to put them 20,000 miles up to do that, and anything that far away is useless for lasers or photos.) There would be the whole atmosphere to lase through which will deflect the laser somewhat. So it would be really hard to get a good targeting marker.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm going to assume you're truly looking for an answer, rather than asking a rhetorical question. I've posted about this multiple times, but it's 300+ page thread at this point, so I'm not expecting anyone to have read my other responses. Simply apologizing for those of you who are tired of my posts.

I know we like to think of evil as evil, and to an extent I agree with it, but unfortunately there's also perspective and context. For a variety of reasons Putin has been able to set himself up as a sort of hero to the disenfranchised white male, and the supporters of that particular tribe. Not just in the US, but in Europe as well. He's conscious about it, and sees himself in that sense, too. 

As we continue to demonize one another in this country among progressives and arch conservatives, we'll continue to find surprising fault lines that distinguish the two from one another. The support for Putin seems shocking if you're not aware of how he's been framed by the disenfranchised white male tribe, but regrettably this is the result.

I really wasn’t after an explanation of the feelings of the proto-mongoloid uninformed jerkoff but this is a spot on answer to that question. I am more wondering why there is not mainstream acceptance that we are likely confronting another Hitler. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, that's something else.  There's a shitload of Russian people who will tolerate a lot, but are going to wonder about their wages, bank accounts, pensions, etc.

And the younger folks are not going to remember the glory days of the USSR and not understand why Putin and the olds miss it.

But Putin has to keep his military and the various police agencies paid.

He has to take care of the Praetorians National Guard he created to protect regional and national leaders.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41900643

Russian President Vladimir Putin has called for elite soldiers in a new force - the National Guard - to protect the country's regional governors.

The proposal comes in a bill that MPs are expected to approve. The parliament is dominated by MPs loyal to Mr Putin.

The National Guard, launched last year, is headed by Mr Putin's ex-bodyguard Viktor Zolotov, a longstanding ally.

Mr Putin has appointed 11 new governors ahead of a March presidential election. He is expected to seek a fourth term.

The new men are overwhelmingly younger than the governors they replaced.

Russian governors are appointed by the Kremlin and generally come from the Moscow power structure. Some have little previous connection with the region they are directed to manage.

Currently elite state bodyguards are assigned only to the president, prime minister, top parliamentary and justice officials and visiting foreign leaders.

This reads like the build up to Order 66.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I really wasn’t after an explanation of the feelings of the proto-mongoloid uninformed jerkoff but this is a spot on answer to that question. I am more wondering why there is not mainstream acceptance that we are likely confronting another Hitler. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I feel like there is. I mean, we're isolationist by default, so most people don't really have a good grasp of what's going on. That's not limited to Putin and Ukraine. That's anything outside our borders. But to the extent there can be a consensus about anything in this country, it feels like there's a pretty good consensus that the West and the US specifically needs to step up here. 

Do you not agree?

10 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

This would be very difficult to do well. Any satellites would be moving over the ground very fast. (You can make satellites stationary on the ground, but you have to put them 20,000 miles up to do that, and anything that far away is useless for lasers or photos.) There would be the whole atmosphere to lase through which will deflect the laser somewhat. So it would be really hard to get a good targeting marker.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US military had separate 2nd/3rd/etc. wartime GPSes (on completely different and unexpected frequencies) that is completely different from GPS the whole civilian world uses in order to defeat jamming of the GPS we all use.

Edited by BachelorTrek

9 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Thanks, I didn't consider the geo sync orbit part of the equation and the distance issue combined with the residual refraction.  I suppose it would be far easier to have a targeting drone at 40k feet doing this sort of thing.  

14 minutes ago, achooloco said:

old post for this thread so sorry, but posts like this remind me to ask @immamac for a neutral "WTF?" button. Where you don't automatically think the poster is a dumbass but you are curious about the source of the info (Ted Lasso did have a point, be curious not judgmental). 

eyeroll. we need a neg-nuetral eyeroll reaction.

🙄

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the US military had separate 2nd/3rd/etc. wartime GPSes (on completely different and unexpected frequencies) that is completely different from GPS the whole civilian world uses in order to defeat jamming of the GPS we all use.

I would be shocked if we didn't have multiple systems for GPS, for all the reasons you listed.  I just got to thinking about all the ways you could exploit having aerial supremacy to help boots on the ground.  Got me curious, I'm sure my limited imagination has only scratched the surface.  Good points.

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

on that note, some of us are talking about these humanitarian corridors and they happen how do we build our organization. I am supposed to run a project in Africa and the Caribbean starting this summer, but the way this is going, I am ready to head to Poland tomorrow. The medical group I support in the Ukraine is running into supply issues. They told me today if that Western column can get 20 kilometers south then they have no way of moving wounded, sick or get supplies in. 

Russia is not going to allow those corridors to happen, or they'll make the conditions for them unbearable.  

The Russians are cutting power and communications, and dropping bombs on civilians in order to drive them out of the cities so they have less people around to deal with (including the potential for resistance or passing on intel to the Ukrainians).

Putin has no incentive to pull his forces out at this point - it's going to be level the larger cities and hold the smaller ones in the East (they don't have the infantry to take and hold the large cities).

Will be interesting to see if he can keep enough supplies/vehicles/troops flowing into Ukraine before his economy truly runs dry.   Yes, he can print more money and try to keep his secret police/National Guard and the military paid, and force companies (government and otherwise) to provide supplies, but the whole economic thing will get very very interesting.

I don't think Rubio tweeted out the bit about the supply issue without a lot behind that.  That ominous warning he gave out about war crimes came true earlier this week when they started hitting the civilians hard, and low and behold war crimes investigations have started.

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I feel like there is. I mean, we're isolationist by default, so most people don't really have a good grasp of what's going on. That's not limited to Putin and Ukraine. That's anything outside our borders. But to the extent there can be a consensus about anything in this country, it feels like there's a pretty good consensus that the West and the US specifically needs to step up here. 

Do you not agree?

I do not agree. It seems that most simply believe arming the brave Ukrainians will drag Putin into an unwinnable quagmire and he will retreat to his lair to plan another, probably worse, offensive in a few years. He hates, and more importantly, fears democracy and he can see things slipping away from him towards western influence as he nears his sunset years. I believe he will try to set things way back and, if not, go out with a big, big bang and I don’t think people have wrapped their minds around this seemingly likely outcome. 

Just now, J.R. said:

I do not agree. It seems that most simply believe arming the brave Ukrainians will drag Putin into an unwinnable quagmire and he will retreat to his lair to plan another, probably worse, offensive in a few years. He hates, and more importantly, fears democracy and he can see things slipping away from him towards western influence as he nears his sunset years. I believe he will try to set things way back and, if not, go out with a big, big bang and I don’t think people have wrapped their minds around this seemingly likely outcome. 

What's your solution?

1 minute ago, rpspeed said:

I used to watch those BUFFs do touch n go's on the flightline at Barksdale AFB  and  think to myself jfc I'd hate to be on the wrong end of that. So loud and intimidating. 

My Grandparents regularly took me to Carwell Air Force Base and the small shopping mall next to it. The B-52s would literally shake the building as they came in for a landing.

30 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

I don’t think Bama read Cardinal of the Kremlin

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

What's your solution?

Prepare for global conflict and make it clear to Putin and everyone near him you are prepared to totally destroy his country if he doesn’t come to the table. Do everything possible to limit his ability and willingness to use nukes but be ready to go all in. I don’t like it but if he’s determined to be the next major enemy of democracy than he’ll need to end up like his predecessors and the cost to us is not really up to us. We will pay the price regardless. 

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I don’t think Bama read Cardinal of the Kremlin

Actually, I did, albeit about 30 years ago, so I've largely forgotten it for some reason I remember Ramius helping the submarine get Clarke in for extraction, but that's largely it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Interesting.  Ukrainians get a bunch of aid/money.  Cargo plane flying out of a specific airport in Turkey from where the Bayraktar TB2 drones are shipped out of, to an airport in Poland.

well that would be welcome news.  Seems they've had a good bit of success with those.

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

My Grandparents regularly took me to Carwell Air Force Base and the small shopping mall next to it. The B-52s would literally shake the building as they came in for a landing.

I grew up on SAC bases with Buffs.  When they would roll off continuously one after the other it was something you never forget.  I sleep pretty easy now. 

3 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Ukraine just announced they are no longer taking POWs.  No quarters given.  Black flag has been raised

*If true 

thats a real bad look. 

not that the Russians are going to follow any rules in an undeclared war, but that fucking guarantees every Ukrainian who surrenders to the Russians is going to be killed.