Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

At some point don't the Russian soldiers realize their govt will not be able to pay them indefinitely and the amount they are paying them has suddenly become worth substantially less?

A worthless Ruble just means that conditions will be even worse at the military prison.

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/06/brazilian-politician-arthur-do-val-sexist-remarks-ukraine-refugees-outrage

Brazilian politician visits the Ukrainian/Slovakian border. Audio leaks of him talking about how hot the Ukrainian refugees are and that "you know they're easy because they're poor." Oops.

How many is a Brazilian 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The title "Field Marshal" has always irked me a little bit, as kind of pompous compared to "commanding General" or some such.  I guess I associate it with Monty and Germans.

"Air Marshal," on the other hand  . . .  is pretty fucking cool.

First Sea Lord is the best UK title 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Wow...Just wow...

Translation of the above: Footage from the camera of the Ukrainian unit "KORD" of Kyiv region ambushed two Russian tanks near the city of Brovary. https :// t.co/TqFdcvAtVW

I know they are taking losses but they are just killing it (pun intended) on the ground. 

• Like 1

Just posting this one for reference, as it actually seems to lie somewhere in between the overly simplistic "broad swathe" maps and the one that just shows the roads that the Russians has secured as being under Russian control. And this one shows the encirclement strategy attempts a bit clearer.

This is the middle bowl of Russo-Ukrainian War Map porridge, IMO.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Reading that no more than an effort to transfer Russia-hosted assets to Russia-based DNS relays and to recommend additional security safeguard measures.

Edit:  Though I wouldn't be surprised to see some Western-affiliated DNS services and zones blocked by nationalized carriers.  I'm unsure what the telecom space looks like in Russia and how much of it is state-controlled.

Edited by Gravy Train

3 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Reading that no more than an effort to transfer Russia-hosted assets to Russia-based DNS relays and to recommend additional security safeguard measures.

Edit:  Though I wouldn't be surprised to see some Western-affiliated DNS services and zones blocked by nationalized carriers.  I'm unsure what the telecom space looks like in Russia and how much of it is state-controlled.

Story about some prior drills re this shit from a couple years/months back:

https://www.wired.com/story/russia-internet-control-disconnect-censorship/

https://www.reuters.com/technology/russia-disconnected-global-internet-tests-rbc-daily-2021-07-22/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

In a much milder form, I've learned how insidious it can be....I was staying in a youth hostel in Budapest in '92 and from their coverage it really seemed like fucking Hungary was winning the Olympics. I've seen similar in other athletic competitions in England when I was living there, so it's not just an East Bloc thing. 

You learned how “insidious” propaganda is from sports coverage on European backpack trip? Damn, thoughts and prayers brother. Not sure how you recovered from that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Wow...Just wow...

Translation of the above: Footage from the camera of the Ukrainian unit "KORD" of Kyiv region ambushed two Russian tanks near the city of Brovary. https :// t.co/TqFdcvAtVW

I know they are taking losses but they are just killing it (pun intended) on the ground. 

I kept waiting for them to hit the deck to avoid the return fire from whatever infantry supporting those tanks. Pretty telling that there wasn't any. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You’re not going to get any good assessments from the Russian side about how the campaign is going. Not only because they won’t publish bad news, but because they deny the scale and scope of what they are doing.  The difference between what the Ukrainians put out and Russians is extreme. Ukrainian sources are diverse, can be expected to cheerlead to various degrees, but will also release some good information.  Russian sources are terrible across the board and offer no insight into what’s really happening, you have to dig into subtext and decide “why is this lie important.” That’s very different than over exaggerated tank losses. 

The blue check marks aren’t all bad but you need to use your brain and compare it to the bigger picture stories that you have to wait for. This war is flooding the zone with information, from the street level all the way up. I follow English, Czech, Slovak, Polish, dissident Russian and official Russian takes on this.  Different ones are good for different things, the dissident Russians usually have a better window into Russia but not as good into on the ground in Ukraine. Major media draws from a lot of blue checkmarks that are “first” but have to be validated. 

Believe or not, the UK DefMin summaries are a good 30k view into how the campaign is progressing. 

• Hook 'Em 8

Wow...Just wow...

Just a disorganized mess. It’s like the tanks are out for a Sunday drive - no specific mission they’re performing.

Russia military seems like it does not slam nor go hard.
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Wow...Just wow...

Those guys look like they REALLY know how to do their job.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/06/brazilian-politician-arthur-do-val-sexist-remarks-ukraine-refugees-outrage

Brazilian politician visits the Ukrainian/Slovakian border. Audio leaks of him talking about how hot the Ukrainian refugees are and that "you know they're easy because they're poor." Oops.

Don't bother clicking through, no pictures of hot Ukrainians.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Do we know who is next in line behind Putin should he be taken out? Is there any scenario that gets Navalny put into power?

If done according to law, Prime Minister Mishustin would temporarily have presidential powers and would have to organize an election within three months.

Navalny is currently on trial and in jail. Only a massive revolution like 1917 could put him anywhere.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You’re not going to get any good assessments from the Russian side about how the campaign is going. Not only because they won’t publish bad news, but because they deny the scale and scope of what they are doing.  The difference between what the Ukrainians put out and Russians is extreme. Ukrainian sources are diverse, can be expected to cheerlead to various degrees, but will also release some good information.  Russian sources are terrible across the board and offer no insight into what’s really happening, you have to dig into subtext and decide “why is this lie important.” That’s very different than over exaggerated tank losses. 

The blue check marks aren’t all bad but you need to use your brain and compare it to the bigger picture stories that you have to wait for. This war is flooding the zone with information, from the street level all the way up. I follow English, Czech, Slovak, Polish, dissident Russian and official Russian takes on this.  Different ones are good for different things, the dissident Russians usually have a better window into Russia but not as good into on the ground in Ukraine. Major media draws from a lot of blue checkmarks that are “first” but have to be validated. 

Believe or not, the UK DefMin summaries are a good 30k view into how the campaign is progressing. 

I know I'll get shelled for even bringing up RT.com but their English-language site has been objective to the point of mutinous right up until now. They are not reporting on the progress of the invasion on the ground, but they are not exactly cheerleading and absolutely overloading stories on negative world reaction. I don't know if that's some kind of psyops trap -- see, we can be reasonable, English speakers? -- or if the staff has gone rogue. Go take a look. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 5
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The vast majority of "ground forces" are not actual combat troops - maybe one actual infantry soldier versus 4 or more soldiers who are driving trucks, mechanics, medical, etc., etc.

The percentages being tossed around of actually "combat ready troops" that Russia has committed is considerably higher than 10%.

And with all of the truck losses, it won't matter how much he has in reserve, if he can't get them to the front, and not only get them to the front, but to do so in something other than fucking Isuzu Troopers.

I always knew that fucking Joe Isuzu guy was no good.