Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

22 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Damnit. This must've been a hell of a video. Anybody able to find it elsewhere? Or at least tell me what kind of awesomeness I missed?

Think of a typical college backyard party but a complete sausage fest. About 30-40 dudes congregating around a single keg in the middle. They are all enjoying themselves but you know everyone wants to leave and go somewhere where they can get some real pussy action. Suddenly a detonation 2 to 3 yards from dead center. Easily a dozen or two instant KIAs. A few from the corners are able to run off but everyone else just completely motionless. Absolutely brutal and lethal. And gives me warm fuzzies like a Bomar blindside sack.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

take with a large grain of salt:

If I were Zelensky I'd give them three days to pick up all their shit and then I best see the roads dark with columns leaving Ukraine. And I'm serious about picking up all that shit. Three days go by and we still see shit strewn all over? HIMARS for errbody.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Top right in desert tan are Bradleys, and looks like 50.  The other vehicles are MRAPs and Strykers I believe.

it is difficult to tell numbers given the various pictures (which might be from different locations and/or different time frames).  

We have so many Bradleys sitting around in warehouses I sure hope we sent more than 50.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I guess we can mark down Valentine's Day, a holiday that is supposed to represent love, as the day that Brisket was fully radicalized? Or was it earlier? Change out a few words and he would crowd sourced pretty swiftly. It's pretty depressing seeing that kind of language coming from someone who has themselves been exposed to similar hatred as a mixed minority at a time when we are dealing with an increased level of hatred towards people like him. I hope his general predilection in this area doesn't catch on as my own children might be dealing with the same sort of stuff he dealt with growing up.

7 hours ago, statsman said:

Bakhmut will fall. What does it mean? Sometimes it’s useful to just list objective facts and see where that leads-

1. The active battle for Bakhmut, a town that once had a population of 70,000, has been raging since early August. We are going on seven months. 
2. Wagner has been the bulk of the Russian forces. They are on the offensive. Regular Ukrainian troops are defending. 
3. The fighting has been brutal. Wagner has used tactics that expend a lot of lives, tens of thousands. There is real time data to support that. Ukraine, fighting defensively, has lost thousands. 
4. Russia doesn’t give a shit about Wagner KIA. They are convicts and foreign mercs. They figure not at all in the Kremlin calculations. 
5. Bakhmut is of questionable strategic importance, to either side. Sure, Russia can stage the next offensive from there, Ukraine can advance and attack supply chains, yada yada. If Bakhmut was really in a truly significant location, a nexus for travel and commerce, it would have been bigger than Longview. 

I suspect that both sides are using the battle to occupy the other side while they prepare for the next phase. Russia is trying to mobilize more forces and get its shit together in a way it wasn’t before, for a new and more effective offensive. Ukraine is trying to train up some fresh troops and integrate some new weapons as fast as they can. In other words- Bakhmut is the second and third quarter. When it falls, the fourth quarter to decide this war begins. We really need to get Ukraine what it needs. 

Counterpoint: Longview was the origin of the Big Inch pipeline that played a big role in winning WWII. Just because it isn't big doesn't mean it isn't very important.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So I guess we can mark down Valentine's Day, a holiday that is supposed to represent love, as the day that Brisket was fully radicalized? Or was it earlier? Change out a few words and he would crowd sourced pretty swiftly. It's pretty depressing seeing that kind of language coming from someone who has themselves been exposed to similar hatred as a mixed minority at a time when we are dealing with an increased level of hatred towards people like him. I hope his general predilection in this area doesn't catch on as my own children might be dealing with the same sort of stuff he dealt with growing up.

Naaah.  Just 1) calling it like I see it (it is historically proven that the only way to truly change the course of a warlike, genocidal imperial state is to completely destroy it, to the point of unconditional surrender), and 2) I'm only calling for violence to be visited on the practitioners and supporters of genocidal violence.  What they wish for and support, should be visited upon them in kind.  No more, no less.

You a Russian dissident who opposes the Putin regime and its campaign of extermination?  Fantastic, I have no beef with you, and I applaud your courage and integrity.  Do you cheer on and profit from a regime that commits genocide, and do you in fact call for such genocide (e.g., Solovyov)?  Then all that you support should be visited upon you.

And I'm okay with the unvarnished conclusion: this world will be better when Sovolyov, and those like him, are dead.  Not defeated, not reformed.  Dead.  Because he cannot be reformed, he will not change.  He is evil, walking the earth.  He has to go.  

We had the Nuremburg trials for that very reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

it's the coffee sippin' that really makes this video great

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Damnit. This must've been a hell of a video. Anybody able to find it elsewhere? Or at least tell me what kind of awesomeness I missed?

Same. late to the party again.

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

This is where US military support starts to make huge waves.

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

take with a large grain of salt:

It's not whether it's true or not; it's whether or not Putin hears this news and how it affects him.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

If I were Zelensky I'd give them three days to pick up all their shit and then I best see the roads dark with columns leaving Ukraine. And I'm serious about picking up all that shit. Three days go by and we still see shit strewn all over? HIMARS for errbody.

I would drop all the men of fighting age or health off at Syria.  The rest can run through the front lines back to Russia.  I wouldn't shoot them, but if we accidentally said they would be arriving to this city at this day and got it wrong and the Russians saw a bunch of olds, women, and children running at them and decided it was raping time... I wouldn't exactly care.  

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Eh, this shit is pretty mild, even back when I was there a lot in the early 2000s and the West was “in,” you had Valentine’s Day backlash. People get cranky over imported holidays. 

In Uzbekistan they used to make Valentine’s against the rules at colleges and schools and instead you had to celebrate “Babur’s (the Timurid founder of the Mughal Empire) Birthday.” 

I'm in favor-- how can we get Valentine's Day banned in the US?

If we must replace it by celebrating Babar's birthday, I'm cool with that.  I used to read ALL of that little elephant's stories.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Really good interview there. Here's an interesting quote that addresses something I've wondered about: 

Reveal hidden contents

(I): What should be the minimum target for you to open fire on it? How many people, what type of fortification, and what kind of equipment?

(O): It all depends on the situation. You may need to open fire on three people, for example, if they are UAV operators.

There is no need to spare shells for “worms”, as Magyar calls them, because they will do more damage if left. That is, there is no “less than 10 people – we do not open fire” policy.

For example, in Soledar, the Wagner PMC developed a tactic of acting in small groups without equipment so that we would not use artillery against them. That is, 3-5 people with shovels go to “bury themselves”, and assault groups immediately join them, and so they gradually move forward. There is no classical offensive – columns, companies, platoons with equipment – in our area.

The fact is that the Russians, as I said, changed their tactics. At first, they came in with equipment and many people, and then they started working in small groups.

Do you remember back in 2015-2017, when they used the frog-jumping tactic? Now they have started using it – they are climbing in small groups of 100-200 meters.

If they were marching in a column, I opened fire and destroyed their equipment. Half of them would be wounded, and half would run away. And it’s hard to catch three people. The only option is to find a place where they are dropped off and from where they disperse in these small groups.

The weather also played into our disadvantage. Warm winters, low cloud cover, and UAVs that can fly long distances rarely work. Speaking for myself, I rarely have situations where I can see 15-20 kilometers ahead.

That’s why it’s very difficult to track two Kamaz trucks that bring the Wagner workers to the unloading point, from which they disperse. So if the weather is good, we will work differently.

Dang, I missed it. If anyone has another source, please post.

Here's a link to the entire interview. I think it's a great read. Thanks to wartranslated/Volodya Treytyak for the translation.

https://wartranslated.com/pravda-com-ua-interview-ukrainian-colonel-oleh-faydyuk/

It's fun to read a different perspective. Especially someone who grew up with a Communist era education.

"For the French or Americans, it takes six months to train on the M777. Ours takes 2-3 weeks."

Uh...I think the realities of the situation are a bit different. But I don't blame the guy for being proud. A little out of kilter with reality, but understandably proud.

"The divizion [18 howitzers] was divided into batteries [6 howitzers], and each battery was responsible for its own area. The only thing we had trouble with was the distance between the batteries.

(I): Was it too big?

(O): Yes. According to the rules of engagement, as described in military literature, the distance between batteries should be no more than five kilometers, ten kilometers at most. But we managed 20, 40, 50, 60 kilometers. But thanks to this, the enemy could not inflict fire on us and destroy everyone in one shot. He did not even use missiles against us. Who would launch a missile for 100 thousand (or whatever the Iskander costs) at one gun? So there were only artillery duels – who would catch whom at the maximum range."

Here he talks about the warehouses with ammunition that were destroyed around the Maidan Revolution:

"(I): Mr. Oleh, but when warehouses were burning all over Ukraine before 2014 and especially after 2014 – Svatove, Balakliya, Kalynivka – including those with 122- and 152-caliber shells, did you have any doubts that it could be a deliberate sabotage?

(O): I can only speculate here, and I don’t really want to do that. I can say that bad things that happen are not always the result of deliberate actions. For example, if an ammunition depot is not properly equipped, no funds are given for firefighting equipment, and the personnel or guards are paid little or are paid with delays… Then there is no need to “smoke in the wrong places” as the Katsaps are trolled. I don’t rule out the possibility that it was deliberate arson, but we can’t dismiss this version as negligence."

(I): Did you take part in the Kharkiv counteroffensive?

(O): Yes, one of our divizions did.

(I): How did it go? Where exactly did you help the infantry, and what tasks did you perform?

(O): Near Izyum, the 62nd Division. And the 87th Anti-Tank Division did a lot of work. Unfortunately, Sergeant Serhiy Mishchenko, a man who personally destroyed 14 confirmed tanks and 27 armored vehicles – BMPs and APCs – was killed there. We submitted his documents for the title of Hero of Ukraine, but we did not have time to award it during his lifetime.

(I): What did he work with?

(O): He worked with Javelin. He was a god, a real god. He had six children, he could have avoided going to war altogether. And he was also a born talent – he figured out how to act on his own. I was already trying to get him to teach others rather than perform tasks himself. But he was always rushing forward. I told him: “Look, even under the best of circumstances, you can’t do all the work yourself. Train 5-10-15 people, even if they take out one tank or APC each, it will be more in total.” And he started teaching a little bit. And then it so happened that the Russians no longer had armored vehicles on the front line-they realized that Western precision anti-tank artillery was destroying them-and our guys had to go into the “gray” zone. And so Mishchenko went there and died.

I'd never heard this phrase. As someone who knows a lot of people of Greek and Jewish descent in the Houston area, I found it noteworthy.

(O): Trophies rarely reach the artillery because our infantry brothers are ahead. And where a Greek has passed, a Jew has nothing to do [smiles].

"Eighty percent of what Madyar [Robert Brovdi, an aerial reconnaissance man who runs the Magyar telegram channel] has been reporting in his telegrams, especially over the past two weeks, is our work. This is all our artillery. We’ve told him many times: sign it somehow that it’s us because we won’t hit, and you won’t have anything to post [laughs]."

"Even according to NATO standards, according to the charter of the artillery of the US field army, there is no firing at a target that is not observed. The bourgeois know how to count money, and they calculated that this is very expensive."

So much of that interview was fascinating. Not just the information, but what it revealed about his entire outlook. I'm glad I got a chance to read it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm in favor-- how can we get Valentine's Day banned in the US?

If we must replace it by celebrating Babar's birthday, I'm cool with that.  I used to read ALL of that little elephant's stories.

Fuck you, us married guys gotta score some.

Eh, who am I kidding, I'm married.  Hope springs eternal.  

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gosh, aren't we all just SHOCKED to find out (for, uh, the 11,000th time) that Russia has actively interfered in our domestic elections, almost entirely in favor of one party?  Gosh, I mean, I may have to sit down, I'm so thrown off by this revelation.

And Tucker Carlson will, tonight, continue his work of openly aiding the Putin regime on America's most-watched news network that is owned by a foreign national and actively foments disinformation in the US.  And his audience will 100% parrot that message and try to stop our assistance to Ukraine (no need to guess, they are out there in the open doing exactly that).  Move along, nothing to see here.

Cucker Carlson.

That guy sucks out loud.

Going back to some of your former posts, the reason Ukraine won't kidnap and torture Oligarch families is to insure they still receive support from the West.

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

"For the French or Americans, it takes six months to train on the M777. Ours takes 2-3 weeks."

Uh...I think the realities of the situation are a bit different. But I don't blame the guy for being proud. A little out of kilter with reality, but understandably proud.

Those French and American gun bunnies aren't coming into their M777 training with a lot of actual combat experience with other howitzers.  If they had the kind of experience a lot of those Ukrainian gunners have, it wouldn't take them long to get up to speed with another system.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-2-14-23/h_b4edf4b7b5c3e900908e0a12354b705d

A little less than a year since Moscow began its invasion of Ukraine, Russia has “lost strategically, operationally, and tactically,” Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley said from Brussels on Tuesday.

“Putin thought he could defeat Ukraine quickly, fracture the NATO alliance, and act with impunity. He was wrong,” the top US general said. “Ukraine remains free, they remain independent. NATO and this coalition has never been stronger, and Russia is now a global pariah. And the world remains inspired by Ukrainian bravery and resilience. In short, Russia has lost — they’ve lost strategically, operationally, and tactically, and they are paying an enormous price on the battlefield.”

Milley and US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin are in Brussels for the ninth meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, to discuss ongoing support for Ukraine as it fights against Russia.

Milley said on Tuesday that until Putin “ends his war of choice,” the international community “will continue to support Ukraine with the equipment and the capabilities it needs to defend itself.”

55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gosh, aren't we all just SHOCKED to find out (for, uh, the 11,000th time) that Russia has actively interfered in our domestic elections, almost entirely in favor of one party?  Gosh, I mean, I may have to sit down, I'm so thrown off by this revelation.

And Tucker Carlson will, tonight, continue his work of openly aiding the Putin regime on America's most-watched news network that is owned by a foreign national and actively foments disinformation in the US.  And his audience will 100% parrot that message and try to stop our assistance to Ukraine (no need to guess, they are out there in the open doing exactly that).  Move along, nothing to see here.

This is going off topic, but when you say its owned by a foreign national, whom do you mean?

In 1985, Rupert Murdoch became a US citizen. Do you have someone else in mind?

Sounds like a bit of optimism regarding Bakhmut

Ukraine not to surrender Bakhmut, Russians paratroopers badly hit – Lt. of Ukraine's Armed Forces

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/02/14/7389355/

Spoiler
9fdda09-bakhmut-ukrainian-military-12-12-2022--getty-images--690.jpg

Ukrainian fighters are not going to surrender Bakhmut in Donetsk Oblast to the Russian invaders; a multi-layer defence perimeter has been set in the city.

Source: Volodymyr Nazarenko, deputy commander of Svoboda battalion, Lieutenant of the National Guard of Ukraine, in the broadcast of the Svoboda Live program; Radio Svoboda

Quote: "I would like to assure you that the Ukrainian forces are not going to surrender the city.

Every street of the city is guarded. Every street, every building is a fortress. There are strong fortifications throughout the city. I do not want to disclose their exact location and how they are equipped but trust me: this is a multi-layer defence.

Russians are carrying out active, very dynamic, very tense battles in the outskirts of the city, which is a private sector and a few apartment blocks in the North, to the East from the city, but in general the occupiers have not reached the heart of the city. They are trying to push through but they are not there yet. In fact, the heart of the city, the city centre, and western outskirts are under secure control. The Ukrainian forces are the masters in this city.

So far we cannot say that full-blown street fights are ongoing there, like they were in the cities of Sievierodonetsk and Rubizhne in Luhansk Oblast. Because there is a pretty reliable defence in the city."

Details: Nazarenko is convinced that "Russian forces will end sooner or later", and Russians already "have to rebuild new connections again and again after the previous ones were thwarted."

We have launched English Twitter! Follow us!

Nazarenko states that at the beginning of January, there were statements that almost all personnel of the Wagner Group was killed, and that Russians "deployed a landing force" but Ukrainians "hit it, ragged it badly."

Quote: "Now they withdrew their landing forces on some fronts and ordered to simply hold the defence. We know that during last week, the frontline was stabilised.

Now Russians are pushing very hard again; they started pressuring on the northern flank, northern outskirts towards Krasna Hora. But they are also suffering big losses there. Very soon they will no longer be able to deploy new forces.

(…) This is rather my personal hope than a forecast. I don’t want to be the person who said that the war would be over in 2-3 weeks but, to my mind, it feels like Russians have it harder and harder."

Details: Nazarenko added that on the front line, where the 24th Brigade and the Svoboda battalion are currently deployed, it feels like "it is getting harder and harder for Russians to look for new reserves": since 1 January, they have been "deploying the units they would like to keep for the spring full-scale offensive."

Nazarenko believes that "now they understand that they are not able to carry out this spring offensive."

"We will see what the end of winter and the beginning of spring will be like. But I hope that it will all be limited to the front where Russians are actively fighting and suffering huge losses at the moment," – Nazarenko stated.

Russians have to take into account these losses they are suffering both in the rear and in the frontline area, as well as in the front where they deploy small groups.

"It is getting harder and harder for Russians to find new combat-ready forces", he said, though the situation is really tense and complicated.

Background: On 3 February, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated that "the city of Bakhmut will not be surrendered; we will fight for as long as we can."

Edited by KYHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Not to mention that those $120 billion type figures don't account for the fact that a lot of the hardware being sent over will never be used ever again by the US military. All these Bradleys and Strykers? Obsolete. But again, this is all preaching to the choir. 

I've tried to explain to multiple people that a lot of those vehicles were never going to be used again - they were either going to be used for parts at some point, given out to other countries, or eventually scrapped (with some given to law enforcement).  They pull this "well what if we need those vehicles" and I tell them that by the time we get them out of storage and fully checked out, everything replaced (hoses, other rubber, batteries, etc.), that if we were that desperate, the nukes will probably be flying anyways, and we sure won't have time to ship them anywhere overseas even if the nukes don't fly.  Oh, and we would need people to man them - active duty folks already have vehicles ready to go, and the NG/Reserve folks have vehicles as well.  We don't have tens of thousands of people sitting around ready to hop in the thousands of Bradleys or Abrams or whatever we have in storage.  We put a ton of Bradleys, M1s, etc. in storage in the 1990s when we drastically reduced the size of the military, and we put more of those vehicles in storage in the 2010s when we started changing up the organization of the Army, started bringing newer systems online, etc. (oh and the Marines have ditched their Abrams completely).  And we already have planned replacements for several current vehicles in production.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, blacklab said:

If you'd like to discuss Republicans, democrats or Tucker Carlson there's a thread in the CR to talk about it.

Don't fuck up this thread.

I don't care what party someone is from. Just keep funding Ukraine's military efforts. That's literally where I'm coming from. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I agree 100%. But what happens when you mention it is it causes certain people to argue and pile on that their team is better than the other and all kinds of stupid shit that doesn't belong in the thread. 

Well, I sure don't mind you deleting the post. I don't have a big emotional investment in the political party catfight. I'm just concerned with the politics that are going to affect the support for the Ukrainian war. But delete away as far as I'm concerned. Not that I have a say in the matter, lol. But I'm 100% supportive for whatever that's worth. 

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

If you'd like to discuss Republicans, Democrats or Tucker Carlson there's a thread in the CR to talk about it.

Don't fuck up this thread.

In SLX's defense, he hasn't said anything at all about mama or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting' drunk.

...And I'll hang around as long as you will let me...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Here's a two hour interview with an operational planner from the famous (infamous?) Azov battalion that held Mariupol for 86 days after being encircled (and only surrendered under direct orders). 

From the interview I learned about Stepan Razin, I learned about the heroes of Kruty, and I was reacquainted with the performance artist Pavlensky. Plus a whole lot more.

I highly recommend it, but I'll be honest. I did not make it through the whole thing in one sitting. But it was an absolutely fascinating look into the mind of a major combatant, who survived the siege of Azovstal, months of captivity with the Russians, and is even now planning to return to the front with the objective of taking as many enemy prisoners as possible to use as exchanges for the Azov prisoners still held captive. He also gives a somewhat chilling reassurance that the people who committed the massacre of the Azov prisoners of war are known and will be accounted for. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1