Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

We designated Wagner a Transnational Criminal Organization by Treasury but they aren’t a designated Foreign Terrorist Organization. Lots of similarities in sanctions effects and tools but not quite as tough as getting slapped with the terrorist label. 

Is that like SPECTRE or SMERSH? Wagner comes across as a Bond villain enterprise, except for the Russian funding part. Is P dude living in a volcano fortress now in Belarus?

We have used paramilitary private contractor companies since the Cold War, without the marketing angle.
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Is that like SPECTRE or SMERSH? Wagner comes across as a Bond villain enterprise, except for the Russian funding part. Is P dude living in a volcano fortress now in Belarus?

We have used paramilitary private contractor companies since the Cold War, without the marketing angle.

mike-myers-austin-powers.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

We'll see how long he's living.

24 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4YzqTQPCUjAxHxQ7jkov

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

It looks like the night shift took a break, so I thought I’d share this (non-CR) commentary from the WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russias-godfather-is-losing-it-russia-war-ukraine-wagner-group-peace-deal-d5b950cd?st=djud210y57nr5rz&reflink=mobilewebshare_permalink

pretty optimistic imo but nice to read

10 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I think we do need to do this, because it will send a much more clear message globally coming from the United States than whatever murky shit the Russians might do.  (Also, I doubt their ability to actually do a cruise missile strike like this).  Wagner is now a designated terrorist organization recognized as such by the United States and will be treated accordingly.  Destroying one base on a global stage should send a loud and clear message to any Wagnerite operating globally.  The United States will find you, and we will kill you, go home or to Belarus, but don't stay where you are thinking it's business as usual.  If you do, you will die.  

That is a very clear and concise message to them, and in my opinion, one that needs to be sent.  

1506537373-blawn.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Hertling's tweet above assumes there is intentionality behind all of this chaos. Me thinks he is giving the Kremlin way too much credit.

Maybe, but if anyone has had a good pulse on things, it's been him.  

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s the designation we slap on Cosa Nostra or various cartels. The idea with Wagner is that it’s dirty deeds done not so dirt cheap. The irony is that we play along with Putin’s fiction that it’s not just the Russian government under a different name, because that opens up new tools for us. 

But if you’ll dig WAY back in this thread you’ll find my firm contentions that Wagner was always just a complicated and semi- deniable way for the Russian state and MOD to do things. And now Putin has basically confirmed that with his actions and revelations that they never really got funding elsewhere. It’s clear that Prigozhin’s relationship with the MOD and Putin changed— but fundamentally Wagner engaged in a mutiny and internecine squabbling. It never really was something separate from the Russian state although the people left may be slowly morphing into that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

pro russia sites are STILL trying to spin the wagner thing as a win for russia... really?   russia has lost 25,000 of its best troops.  its shown that russia has no ground combat forces outside of ukraine now.  the national guard is weak and underarmed  over 20 army and national guard units flipped.  the police and GRU are now going to the units and arresting anyone they think were involved in the operation.  over 200 generals and other top officers hold dual army wagner rank.  what about them?   a poll just came out saying that russians have 90+% faith in putin.... that does more harm than good in russia. everyone knows that "official" poll is fake and its not helping putin.  putin is not the guy on the bear shooting a RPG in the forest that people want to remember from 20 years ago.  he is a small, old man... he is unsure, angary, and confused. he is putting out fake numbers that the russian media is now refusing to believe.  this guy is a dead man walking and now even china is not backing him any more.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't know what they were like before, but like having the NATO and EU leadership remain in place - they've been pretty solid with this, and while Putin was their best recruiter for Finland and Sweden, they were the ones behind the scenes crossing the T's and dotting the i's.

EU leadership in particular - that's got to be like herding cats.

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Prilosec should have attacked Moscow while he had the chance.   Or he still should.   This indecisiveness will be his undoing.  

Yep, FSB and GRU have probably been going balls to the wall trying to root out any potential mutineers/coup participants.  They are probably more terrified of people within the Russian Army/police/National Guard flipping than Wagner at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, FSB and GRU have probably been going balls to the wall trying to root out any potential mutineers/coup participants.  They are probably more terrified of people within the Russian Army/police/National Guard flipping than Wagner at this point.

A purge will come either way.  Guilty or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Referencing the NY Times article

Of course Prigozhin had help from Russian generals. You don't march 800 km through 4 Russian oblasts virtually unimpeded if there is no significant support in the Russian generality. Putin had to order mayors with dump cars and excavators to set up barricades, because the Russian army was AWOL.

Even though the circumstances of Wagner`s stopping at the gates of Moscow are murky, I stand by my word that Moscow would have been taken by Sunday. The resistance of Putin's regime was nonexistent or not willing to defend Putin and the question is not if Russian generals helped in this insurrection, but how many were involved.

The dissolution of Russian statehood is continuing and Putin is facing the dilemma whether to send out his few remaining bloodhounds to track down the insurrectionists and by doing so expedite the downfall of the Russian war effort or remain being a lame duck and being removed altogether in a short period of time.

Since he is revengeful narcissist who already said that he will never forgive betrayal he would eventually go after the traitors, if he can regain some relative power back, and his enemies are most certainly aware of that fact. It's going to be interesting either way, since he will lose no matter what.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1