Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Bulgarian they put on their wanted list has been reading how they want to kill him

Ice pics and umbrellas...At least the Russians admit to it now. 

Might need to go rewatch the Navalny documentary now, thanks Christo.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Why did they send just a few?  Why not wait until you have enough drones for a legitimate volley of those fuckers?

Rumors are they got wind of a strike, and took one of a limited number of drones and tried to deter the Russians (force them to put their missiles back in bunkers, etc.), which may have worked.

• Hook 'Em 4

The russians are doing an excellent job of training a large cadre of people to do one thing staring in 5-10 more years….kill the fuck out of Russians.

Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind. Your evil will be visited back upon you, threefold.

I don’t like what you evil fuckers have created….but you’re going to like it even less.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Why did they send just a few?  Why not wait until you have enough drones for a legitimate volley of those fuckers?

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Rumors are they got wind of a strike, and took one of a limited number of drones and tried to deter the Russians (force them to put their missiles back in bunkers, etc.), which may have worked.

Just spit balling here but a larger drone swarm might risk (earlier?) detection/interception. 

• Hook 'Em 5

That Medvedev tweet chain is crazy.  If you’ve not placed the name, he’s the guy that was president for the 30 minutes Putin wasn’t. 

It’s an entire country peopled by zeros, led by zeros, who fantasize failure for everyone else in the world because it’s the only way they can conceive not falling further behind. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Just remarkable how clumsy so many high ranking officials or outspoken dissidents are.   Fascinating.

Toss in their officers dying in the field.

Fkms5IUXoAIzJNw?format=png&name=large

Really gutting the people who are arguably most needed to help them win.

Who the hell is going to step up into those hundreds of majors and light colonels and full colonel spots?  Maybe the majors can fill in the upper ranks (maybe they have experience in Syria), but given how 300+ captains have died, and 500+ 1st lieutenants, leadership of companies, as well as battalion XOs has got to be absolutely piss poor, with lots of guys who were either mobilized or just fresh out of officer training.

Oh, and those younger officers fresh out of training are going to be dealing with pissed off mobilized soldiers who could easily be twice their age.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Toss in their officers dying in the field.

Fkms5IUXoAIzJNw?format=png&name=large

Really gutting the people who are arguably most needed to help them win.

Who the hell is going to step up into those hundreds of majors and light colonels and full colonel spots?  Maybe the majors can fill in the upper ranks (maybe they have experience in Syria), but given how 300+ captains have died, and 500+ 1st lieutenants, leadership of companies, as well as battalion XOs has got to be absolutely piss poor, with lots of guys who were either mobilized or just fresh out of officer training.

Oh, and those younger officers fresh out of training are going to be dealing with pissed off mobilized soldiers who could easily be twice their age.

The whole command structure of the Russian army is laughable.  The highest ranking of them are only there for either being steadfast yes-men to Vlad, or have bribed their way through the system.  The best leaders and strategists are left in middle command, and they are the ones getting whacked.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wow, he’s firmly into FAFO territory.  This is getting into Tom Clancy territory.  He’s got soldiers who are loyal to him, instead of those serving in the state military.  There have been regular state military generals in the past, after Chechnya I believe, who had units loyal to them, who were offed by Putin because they were seen as potential threats.

Fk8XfnpWQAEaCLQ?format=png&name=medium

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow, he’s firmly into FAFO territory.  This is getting into Tom Clancy territory.  He’s got soldiers who are loyal to him, instead of those serving in the state military.  There have been regular state military generals in the past, after Chechnya I believe, who had units loyal to them, who were offed by Putin because they were seen as potential threats.

Fk8XfnpWQAEaCLQ?format=png&name=medium

I was reading a "how wars end" article and he was mentioned as a guy that will probably start making more noise as putin starts seeming weaker.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

More context:

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Those videos are insane.

wow.

I’ve been trying to explain to my wife how much things like drones have changed warfare, but this footage is something that finally really encapsulates what that means.

Being able to chase down armored infantry carriers and kill/injure/neutralize approximately 80 infantry with a small force of drone and Javelin operators in a somewhat forward position brings to questions many things at a tactical level. This makes the idea of what constitutes recon and mobile infantry units and what additional protections are needed for them are major points of contention. 

How far are we from having infantry carriers that have a built in offensive and defensive drone controls? At what point will we see drone swarms unleashed on advancing convoys to stall their advance/bottle them so that artillery and missile systems can then finish them off.

Lightly armored mechanized troops have great value in their mobility which increases both their offensive and defensive capabilities. By being able to  change the combat priority by how they are targeted you can instead use that cascade of firepower to instead focus on more dangerous units. Sends the drones after the BMPs and other light armored vehicles and then reserve the Javelins, tanks, and air assets for bigger game. It isn’t so much that drones are better or a major increase in firepower but instead they allow infantry to target light armor while reserving their stronger assets for heavier armored targets.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Russia's own Avraam Frommanovsky "offed himself" in India from a "hotel fall" on Saturday.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/27/business/russian-deaths-india-pavel-antov-intl/index.html

Russian sausage magnate-turned-lawmaker Pavel Antov died in India on Saturday after falling from the third floor of his hotel, according to the Indian police.

Antov’s death came after his friend and travel companion Vladimir Budanov died of a heart attack on Antov’s 65th birthday, two days earlier, Vivekanand Sharma, a senior police official in India’s northeastern Odisha state, said Tuesday.

Budanov was 61 years old and had a preexisting heart condition, Sharma said.

Police believe Antov died by suicide after falling from the third floor of his hotel in the Rayagada district, although the postmortem report has not been released yet, Sharma said. He said the case had been ruled an “unnatural death,” which includes deaths resulting from accidents and suicides.

...but really tho:

• Hook 'Em 2

With regards to the Engels-2 mission.  RU was forced to move those bomber appx 4,000 miles (and 3 time zones east).  This will make them a lot easier to pick up on radar and force RU to use a lot more fuel.  I wonder if the talk of negotiations that has escalated the last week is a result of the RU now realizing the terror campaign of launching missiles from those bombers, formerly warehoused at Engels-2,  just became next level more difficult?  Good on the Ukes, no doubted aided by our intel/assets, for pulling that off. IIRC this is the 2x they have been able to get to that site.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

With regards to the Engels-2 mission.  RU was forced to move those bomber appx 4,000 miles (and 3 time zones east).  This will make them a lot easier to pick up on radar and force RU to use a lot more fuel.  I wonder if the talk of negotiations that has escalated the last week is a result of the RU now realizing the terror campaign of launching missiles from those bombers, formerly warehoused at Engels-2,  just became next level more difficult?  Good on the Ukes, no doubted aided by our intel/assets, for pulling that off. IIRC this is the 2x they have been able to get to that site.

The implication for the Russian strategic deterrent here is very interesting.  We have always assumed that the Russian air defenses are the best in the world, and that places like Saratov--hundreds of miles inside Russia--could only be attacked through strategic missile launch.  That is to say, if you want to take out the bombers at Engels, you need to do so from an SLBM.

But that's a problem, because we only have a limited number of SLBM warheads.  And in a preemptive counterforce strike, those would be disproportionately devoted to missile sites.  We would count on our fighters to shoot down any surviving bombers that got off the ground.

But the fact that Ukrainian drones can attack Engels raises a lot of interesting possibilities.  It indicates that the F-22 and F-35 could likely penetrate Russian airspace and destroy Russian bombers on the ground in a conventional strike.  That does two things: it saves the strategic nuclear force for other targets, and it may prevent the nuclear forces from being needed for a counterforce strike altogether.

Maybe.

These are some really interesting questions that the smart guys in the Pentagon are going to be spending years thinking about.  But it does raise real questions about the credibility of Russia's nuclear deterrent.  And that, on its own, may be a really bad thing.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

It indicates that the F-22 and F-35 could likely penetrate Russian airspace and destroy Russian bombers on the ground in a conventional strike. 

It’d be just swell if our stealthy fighters are invisible to their defenses. Better yet that we know it. Best of all if they know it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I think we can all agree this war has been an absolute catastrophe for UKR and Russia.  The indiscriminate bombing, rape, torture etc..

A pyrrhic victory is defined as: A very costly victory, wherein the considerable losses outweigh the gain, so as to render the struggle not worth the cost

I don't know that I find much joy in writing this, but the amount of knowledge we have gained regarding the paradigm shift in tactics as it relates to drone warfare is incredible.  RU is proving to be a much less formidable foe than any of us could have dreamed.  I know the nuke deterrent is overwhelming and none of us want that, it should be avoided at all costs. 

I find it fascinating how much more advanced the west/NATO is compared to Putin's capabilities.  There is no victory in that fact, but I have to believe this is a sea changing moment in history vis a vis how we deal with RU going forward.  As long as he has the nukes, nothing will be settled, but it has to give him some pause as to just how vulnerable his grab on power is at this moment. 

4 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

I’ve been trying to explain to my wife how much things like drones have changed warfare

I usually just wait until mine is wine drunk and ask her if she would like a pickle tickle but some of us have to push different buttons.

• Haha 6
  • Drool 1

30 minutes ago, Genco said:

I usually just wait until mine is wine drunk and ask her if she would like a pickle tickle but some of us have to push different buttons.

She's a Phd 5 degrees in a variety of feilds. Got to start with something that she is tangentially interested in that is unknown to get her interested and out of a book first... then go towards step 2

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

But the fact that Ukrainian drones can attack Engels raises a lot of interesting possibilities.  It indicates that the F-22 and F-35 could likely penetrate Russian airspace and destroy Russian bombers on the ground in a conventional strike. 

Don’t forget that they are using their S-300 air defense missiles in a ground attack role, which is…insane to me.  They know that NATO and its member countries are not going to invade Russia, so they may have thought they could use up a bunch of their air defense systems against ground targets (apartment buildings, electrical infrastructure, power plants, etc. ) and easily manufacture replacements, except sanctions kicked in.

Amd if they didn’t think Ukraine had the ability to strike deep, they could have gutted their internal air defense system for use in Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 1