Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13 hours ago, BamaATL said:

In thinking about this, I don't have a problem with Zelensky saying this things or even having them explored.

1.  If I were leading a country and it was being attacked, would I have the desire to attack that country back?  Yep

2.  If mercenaries were killing my soldiers and citizens and I had a chance to fuck them up on another country's soil would I consider it?  Yep

3.  If my neighbor was openly undermining support for my country in favor of the attacker and quite frankly was compromised due to oil, would I consider blowing up their access to that?  Yes I would

I know all if this is painting with a broad brush, and I understand the slow play on long range weapons, but to be honest, I think the Ukrainians thinking this way and even putting together plans is understandable.  They have been attacked, and their people are being murdered.  For me, all bets are off in a situation like that.  The good news, is that he was persuaded to not pursue these objectives in order to get munitions and weapons, which shows him to be rational.  

Our objective, and NATO's as a whole, is to keep the peace but support a war.  That's sort of fucked up to be honest, but given all the circumstances is understandable.  At the same time, that means Ukraine and its objective (mainly to survive and win) won't always align in a nice and pretty way.  Theirs is a struggle for existence, while ours is a struggle for stability (right, wrong or indifferent).  Those two things are always going to be congruent.  

I'm fine with Zelensky wanting to attack military targets inside Russia proper.  And I understand why the Allies don't wanna give him the ability to do so.  Now that they have Storm Shadows, we'll see if they have the restraint to keep our stuff outside of Russia.

ETA

Attacking Russian forces in Syria would have been a big mistake.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Good map showing Ukrainian gains around Bakhmut (which are not that large to this point). They seem to be making their supply lines more secure, and trying to force the Russians to commit more forces to try and hold their positions.

That's from the tweet - would be interesting if they are actually able to draw the Russian reinforcements in for artillery purposes.  Russian commanders have to be paranoid about breakthroughs, and I could see some Russian commander who probably doesn't have a lot of good info right now hearing of an attack and immediately rushing his reserves in.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Seems like more weaponry info comes out just before it's used, don't think being in a Russian trench or treeline is looking so hot right now

Very good for turning orc occupied trenches into long, meat filled graves.

In the counter attacks to come, I doubt most of the new Ukrainian tanks will engage in tank-on-tank battles with Russian forces, as most of those tanks were already destroyed, and armor is better employed in groups to open gaps in opposing forces’ lines.  However, the Ukrainian tanks would universally be encountering Russian infantry, and high explosive shells will do a great job dealing with unfriendly fire coming from structures - and due to the fragmentation aspect - dealing with groups of Russian troops (as they idiotically tend to congregate).

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Someone help me; I failed my "Geography of Eastern Europe" course.

Where the fuck is that?

Luhansk. It's on the edge of territories liberated in Ukraine's Kharkiv offensive. North of Severodonetsk and Bakhmut. East of Izyum.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Someone help me; I failed my "Geography of Eastern Europe" course.

Where the fuck is that?

North, Kharkiv front heading due east.  Kermina axis but even further north than that by about 40 km, and 60 km south of 1991 borders.  Further to the east its about 200 km to 1991 border of Luhansk Oblast.   This entire area is sparsely populated and quite frankly I don't know the geography well, however thru out the entire conflict, neither side has seemed to have too much manpower in this area.  

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I don't know what to think of all of this yet and I haven't read the whole interview, but it seems WaPo needs to be careful. 

FwGo4QQWwAIA7O8?format=jpg&name=large 

I read it and it pissed me the fuck off.

Not as much as it pissed off Zelensky, but damn was it an irresponsible line of questioning. Way too many lives are at stake right now for that bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 4

Q: The Washington Post has obtained documents that we have not published details about yet. We would like to ask you about some information there and also to give you the opportunity to respond to what is in there. One of them says that on January 31, you suggested occupying parts of Russia along the border for future leverage in the negotiations. Is that true?

So they blindsided him with the new docs?

Q: The documents indicate that HUR, your intelligence directorate, has back-channel contact with Yevgeniy Prigozhin that you were aware of, including meeting with Yevgeniy Prigozhin and HUR officers. Is that true?
A: This is a matter of [military] intelligence. Do you want me to be convicted of state treason? And so, it’s very interesting, if someone is saying that you have documents, or if someone from our government is speaking about the activities of our intelligence, I would also like to ask you a question: With which sources from Ukraine do you have contact? Who is talking about the activities of our intelligence? Because this is the most severe felony in our country. Which Ukrainians are you talking to?

Wa Po was way out of line.

Rogoway's take on that strike on Khmelnitsky the other day.  Twitter right wingers saying it was $500MM of munitions from the Allies.  Rogoway says it was likely old stuff from Russia and MAYBE new stuff too.  Or maybe they hit it because they figured secondary explosives would take out civilians.

Ukraine's ammunition storage facilities, and the destruction of them, became alarmingly regular following Russia's initial invasion in 2014, but those incidents tapered off in recent years prior to the all-out invasion. While some work has been done to try to destroy the most volatile and derelict explosives, some of which date back to the Soviet era, many still remain.

One of these installations that stored rocket boosters for Soviet-era ICBMs among other explosives, detonated in a massive secondary explosion caused by a Russian missile attack just over a week ago. It could very well be that Russia is now prioritizing these sites as targets, possibly out of suspicion of more relevant, modern arms being stored there, or more likely out of their huge secondary blast potential.

Regardless, if these videos are indeed legit, a massive explosion has occurred near the town of Khmelnitsky, which does appear to have one large explosive storage facility on its outskirts. We cannot confirm if this was the target hit at this time though, although open source intelligence is pointing toward it. Satellite imagery for May 13th that can be used to confirm this has been posted yet.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/gigantic-fireball-explosion-rocks-town-in-western-ukraine

• Hook 'Em 2

Russia says they blew up $500 million of munitions/ammo. Ukraine won’t say, but admits to a huge explosion caused by four drones. 

Maybe they did. There is no law of nature that says Ukraine always wins or Russia always loses. Russia probably has intelligence assets in place, as Ukraine does. 

It is telling that the cheap Iranian drones are Russia’s most effective weapon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, statsman said:

Russia says they blew up $500 million of munitions/ammo. Ukraine won’t say, but admits to a huge explosion caused by four drones. 

Maybe they did. There is no law of nature that says Ukraine always wins or Russia always loses. Russia probably has intelligence assets in place, as Ukraine does. 

It is telling that the cheap Iranian drones are Russia’s most effective weapon. 

It was a known location of a storage site for old Soviet era ammunition that needed to be safely disposed of, but was too expensive to do. Whether Ukraine also kept newer weapons there is unknown, but seems unlikely to me since it was a well known location. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

It was a known location of a storage site for old Soviet era ammunition that needed to be safely disposed of, but was too expensive to do. Whether Ukraine also kept newer weapons there is unknown, but seems unlikely to me since it was a well known location. 

They would not have stored new stuff in with the volatile stuff that they couldn’t dispose of, and that was known by the Russians to store old ammo, as well as produce fuels for newer systems.

Not only was it well known to the Russians, but locals had publicly bitched that the disposal needed to speed up because they were worried about it.  It was visible to all satellites and anybody driving by - lots of big earthen berms.  Plus it was an old Soviet site to begin with.  Russians knew it was still storing Soviet-era stuff, because they were the ones who left the stuff there.

There are only a small handful of places in the world that can safely dispose of such rocket boosters, and I think the main one is in Utah.  Nobody would take those boosters off of Ukraine’s hands because they considered them too dangerous to transport.

More info

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/incredible-destruction-at-ukrainian-rocket-storage-site-that-detonated-from-russian-strike

The firm has also been charged with storing rocket motors from Cold War-era SS-24 intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM), which were in the country and subsequently decommissioned after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Millions of landmines awaiting destruction following Ukraine's accession to the international Mine Ban Treaty in 2005 are also reportedly kept there.

The new satellite imagery does indicate that a single hangar-like structure at the northern end of the site was the source of the main explosion. Older imagery from Google Earth shows that the structure in question was surrounded on three sides by earthen berms, a common protective feature for buildings containing explosives.

Even before Russia launched its all-out invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, residents in the area had repeatedly expressed concerns about the safety of the site. 

"If we already have a strategic facility in the city with a large amount of explosive fuel, then under no circumstances should the disposal process be stopped,” one resident, Svitlana Shaperenko, told the BBC in 2020. “We're just a ticking time bomb. If there's an explosion, that's the end.”

• Hook 'Em 4

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

On the one hand, the US would love to see Russia knocked way the hell down, Putin out of power, and somebody like Navalny quickly taking over and transitioning Russia to a a nation not obsessed with recreating the Soviet Union and exploiting its smaller neighbors.  It would stabilize Europe, which is our largest trading partner, and frees up resources we have committed there that would better be utilized elsewhere, and clears our plate to focus on the Chinese, and arguably might benefit us in the Middle East and would definitely help in Africa.

On the other hand, I'd imagine that the spooks in the CIA, DIA, etc., are scared shitless that if things develop too fast and Russia's military in Ukraine completely collapses, and Putin's hold on power collapses, then instead of somebody like Navalny "peacefully" coming to power quickly and stabilizing the country, there's going to be a dozen Kadyrov's and Prigozhins fighting each other.  There could be somebody (oligarchs looking to reclaim their fortunes? or military officers) taking over nuke bases/weapons and selling them off to the highest bidders as well, and we'll end up with one or more Yugoslavia-like situations in some of the outer republics, maybe a few Azerbaijan vs Armenia flare-ups, China moving into Siberia, etc., all of which would also complicate the nuclear issue.

There's no way we'd have the ability to secure Russia's nukes.

It's a nightmare scenario that could spawn a dozen new Tom Clancy books.

Russia has a history of things rapidly falling apart, but the one time it happened when they had nuclear weapons, it was fairly peaceful (outside of some dead Baltic residents the Russians killed) and they were able to keep their nukes secured. 

If Russia implodes now, there's no way it's peaceful.

I'm in the camp that wants to see Ukraine curb-stomp Russia, but I wonder if Washington is scared shitless that Russia will fall apart and those nukes won't be easily secured.  Counterpoint: Putin is paranoid and the nukes are secured in just a few locations with highly-loyal/stable security personnel.  The last thing he needs it a Chechen getting one and driving a truck into Moscow with one.

With all due respect.

Summarize 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

They would not have stored new stuff in with the volatile stuff that they couldn’t dispose of, and that was known by the Russians to store old ammo, as well as produce fuels for newer systems.

Not only was it well known to the Russians, but locals had publicly bitched that the disposal needed to speed up because they were worried about it.  It was visible to all satellites and anybody driving by - lots of big earthen berms.  Plus it was an old Soviet site to begin with.  Russians knew it was still storing Soviet-era stuff, because they were the ones who left the stuff there.

There are only a small handful of places in the world that can safely dispose of such rocket boosters, and I think the main one is in Utah.  Nobody would take those boosters off of Ukraine’s hands because they considered them too dangerous to transport.

More info

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/incredible-destruction-at-ukrainian-rocket-storage-site-that-detonated-from-russian-strike

Well, to every yin there is a yang, it's gone now.  So there is that.  

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

With all due respect.

Summarize 

The devil we know (a teetering Putin, nukes centralized, RU in tact for the most part but out of Ukraine) is better than the devil we don't (a dozen war lords and oligarchs further destabilizing the region and selling off the nukes).

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So close but your last line only has 4 syllables

I meant to have a "will" in there

Kevin Hart Crying GIF by Team Coco

58 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Well, to every yin there is a yang, it's gone now.  So there is that.  

It's a wonder more countries don't have "accidents" when trying to dispose of old, volatile stuff that they don't want to pay to get done properly.

• Hook 'Em 1