So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

"I didn't want to leave out of there with no points, because we were down what, 21-7?" said Strong, whose team actually was down 28-7 at that point. "So it ended up being 21-10 (actually 28-10), then we get the ball to start the second half."

I missed the best quote of the night.  He didn’t know the score.  

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Who wants to joinn that idiot on a sinking ship?

and red was never racist.  Ask John Lucas.  .  Dennis Green.  And Randy Moss.  Red just knows a shitty coach when he sees one. 

I’ve run out of rep for today, but I’ve said this exact thing for years. Add Henry Cisneros and Angelo Drossos to the list of non-whiteys Red has helped or partnered with  

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

A friend who's a Neurologist opined that Charlie seems a whole lot like a person with CTE issues. I don't have a background that would let me argue that one way or the other... any headquacks here want to weigh in on that?

Yea not seeing that..Just see a coach not suited to be a HC of a D1 college program. 

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

A friend who's a Neurologist opined that Charlie seems a whole lot like a person with CTE issues. I don't have a background that would let me argue that one way or the other... any headquacks here want to weigh in on that?

I wouldn't be surprised. He was an undersized DB with an attitude. And he played before targeting became a thing. It would not surprise me in the least if he tackled head first on just about every play back in the day.

9 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I wouldn't be surprised. He was an undersized DB with an attitude. And he played before targeting became a thing. It would not surprise me in the least if he tackled head first on just about every play back in the day.

That would explain a lot.  He did field elite defenses for year. And shut down OU’s elite spread attack in the 2008 title game.  

I didn’t like the hire.  Because I looked at his results as a hc game by game in context of the competition he was facing.  But him having awful defenses was something I thought just wouldn’t happen

how funny is it that at the time, this seemed like an insanely racist statement by an old coot, and now five years later... maybe not inaccurate
I wonder how many of the guys that got run off in 2014 weren't actually in the wrong. It's probably not zero. At the time I thought fuck yeah, you show 'em Charlie, kick that Mack Brown deadweight out of the program and go to war like Iowa State's Dirty Thirty. Now I pretty much question everything I thought from December 2013 until the merciful, merciful ending

That same non-racist — I’m a SA guy generally like Red — wanted John Gruden, though.
  • Haha 1

Just now, Disco Missile said:

I witnessed two conversations on other sites where people continue to trot out the old "Charlie Strong is a great/nice/good man" nonsense.

Did he go around kissing babies and slipping people $50s for 3 years? Where did this narrative come from? I'm confused as hell about this.

if you are white, you are obligated to start with "I love Charlie, he is a great guy but...'

it shows you aren't one of those other whites, you are one of the good ones.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, we all wanted to side with Charlie at the time because we wanted to support the coach and believe he would have success here.  But considering Red owned his own pro sports teams, and employed black head coaches at a time when it was much less common than today, it was always pretty ludicrous to think he was some racist dude that just couldn’t stand to see a black man coaching UT.  

But labeling critics as unfairly biased and unqualified to comment is an easy way to derail a conversation you aren't interested in having.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

You mean a guy who won a super bowl at the highest level?

He won it with Tony Dungy's team then sucked rather hard the following 2 seasons and never won another playoff game during his tenure with Tampa. One could argue that Super Bowl had more to do with Monte Kiffin than Gruden.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, po elvis said:

if you are white, you are obligated to start with "I love Charlie, he is a great guy but...'

it shows you aren't one of those other whites, you are one of the good ones.

Makes as much sense as calling someone a great man for no reason, maybe. 

23 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He rarely knew the down and distance, too. He was a swell guy but man is he one dumb motherfucker. 

Take note, everyone. Newy is one of the good ones.

31 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He rarely knew the down and distance, too. He was a swell guy but man is he one dumb motherfucker. 

White guy here as well, but at some point, it’s time to break out the truth. Strong was named as the other man in the Louisville booster lawsuit. He was fucking another woman at Louisville and when it all came to light and embarrassed his wife and kids while at Texas, he slept in the office or in a guest room at his own house for the final year of his time at Texas. The “good guy” narrative is literally something white people are using to fend of the blunt instrument of blanket race-baiting when a minority takes humbrage to a white person leveling criticism at a minority that doesn’t feel good. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

White guy here as well, but at some point, it’s time to break out the truth. Strong was named as the other man in the Louisville booster lawsuit. He was fucking another woman at Louisville and when it all came to light and embarrassed his wife and kids while at Texas, he slept in the office or in a guest room at his own house for the final year of his time at Texas. The “good guy” narrative is literally something white people are using to fend of the blunt instrument of blanket race-baiting when a minority takes humbrage to a white person leveling criticism at a minority that doesn’t feel good. 

I would be lying if I said being called a racist did not enter my mind before saying he is a dumb motherfucker. Probably because I was routinely called a racist on the old Fire Charlie Strong thread on the shag. 

He reminds me a lot of Chan Gailey. I thought Gailey was a great guy. Treated reporters with respect and was not a cesspool of a human being like Switzer before him. On the old ESPN Cowboy boards I would qualify all of my Gailey criticisms with “look I like him as a man but”....

And like Strong, he really struggled processing all of the in game elements and would fuck up basic shit. Give him a more defined scope like maximize offensive personnel and play calling and he thrived. Give him a head coaching job and his brain literally melted down. He did not have the mental capacity to process everything he needed  to.  

Strong is the black Chan Gailey. 

Edited by Newy25

7 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

But labeling critics as unfairly biased and unqualified to comment is an easy way to derail a conversation you aren't interested in having.

You should spend more time in the cloak room. You disagree with the brown shirt echo chamber, you're pretty much a racist.

41 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

It turns out he was a terrible manager and terrible at hiring the right coaches. I was pretty excited when we made the hire because of his success as a DC and recent success at Louisville, but man shit does not always work out.

Did he hire his own assistants at Fla or did Urbs offer guidance?

21 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I would be lying if I said being called a racist did not enter my mind before saying he is a dumb motherfucker. Probably because I was routinely called a racist on the old Fire Charlie Strong thread on the shag. 

He reminds me a lot of Chan Gailey. I thought Gailey was a great guy. Treated reporters with respect and was not a cesspool of a human being like Switzer before him. On the old ESPN Cowboy boards I would qualify all of my Gailey criticisms with “look I like him as a man but”....

And like Strong, he really struggled processing all of the in game elements and would fuck up basic shit. Give him a more defined scope like maximize offensive personnel and play calling and he thrived. Give him a head coaching job and his brain literally melted down. He did not have the mental capacity to process everything he needed  to.  

Strong is the black Chan Gailey. 

Take a spin on the politics boards. The brown shirt echo chamber definitely would have called you racist or Nazi ... likely both. Probably homophobic too. Lots of outrage to get out each day.