20 Years Ago Today....

TrashMaster G

A lot of people forget actually how close the game was. Took a last second FG to break aggy's already broken hearts after the run. I've seen footage on youtube of the 98 bonfire and the milkman were talking up the crowd saying "wrecking crew will not let Ricky get the record" or some shit. lulz. 

I told this story on the late, may as well be deceased Shag.

My then wife and I had season tickets with her parents. Like many UT fans in Dallas, we were on a Southwest Airline flight which was supposed to get into Austin about 90 minutes before the game started. The waiting area was packed with people dressed in burnt orange and ... Tony Dorsett. Dorsett was flying down to see his record broken. Then, Southwest announces the plane has had a mechanical difficulty and it would be at least 2 hours before we left.

Dorsett and (presumably his handler), walk up to the gate agent, engage in a very quiet conversation. Next thing we know, that gate agent is on the phone and a Southwest employee is running down the hallway. About 10 minutes later, we hear an announcement, "We have a plane about to go into maintenance folks that we can use for this flight. It should be rolling up to the gate in less than 10 minutes."

Substitute plane pulls up, people are running on the plane. It was the fastest I have ever seen a Southwest flight get loaded. We are wheels up.

We land in Austin (Bergstrom was not yet open to the public so we landed at Mueller) about 20 minutes before the game is supposed to start. I see Dorsett hopping into the back of an Austin PD car with his handler.

In-laws pick us up, we park at our usual place at University Methodist Church on the Drag and arrive at DKR literally seconds before the kick off.

But for Dorsett being on that flight, we would have missed Ricky's run. Hell of a game.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

I told this story on the late, may as well be deceased Shag.

My then wife and I had season tickets with her parents. Like many UT fans in Dallas, we were on a Southwest Airline flight which was supposed to get into Austin about 90 minutes before the game started. The waiting area was packed with people dressed in burnt orange and ... Tony Dorsett. Dorsett was flying down to see his record broken. Then, Southwest announces the plane has had a mechanical difficulty and it would be at least 2 hours before we left.

Dorsett and (presumably his handler), walk up to the gate agent, engage in a very quiet conversation. Next thing we know, that gate agent is on the phone and a Southwest employee is running down the hallway. About 10 minutes later, we hear an announcement, "We have a plane about to go into maintenance folks that we can use for this flight. It should be rolling up to the gate in less than 10 minutes."

Substitute plane pulls up, people are running on the plane. It was the fastest I have ever seen a Southwest flight get loaded. We are wheels up.

We land in Austin (Bergstrom was not yet open to the public so we landed at Mueller) about 20 minutes before the game is supposed to start. I see Dorsett hopping into the back of an Austin PD car with his handler.

In-laws pick us up, we park at our usual place at University Methodist Church on the Drag and arrive at DKR literally seconds before the kick off.

But for Dorsett being on that flight, we would have missed Ricky's run. Hell of a game.

That is a legit CSB!

24 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Cool to have both the Musberger and Texas calls. Unfortunately the Dave South call is probably lost to the annals of history. I imagine it went something like this:

“Dave S: Hands the ball to the guy, come on, that’s holding, (30 seconds of dead air).

Dave E: Darn, I don’t think he got across the goal line.

Dave S: Well, they call it a TD

Cut to commercial

“Hi, I’m Bubba S. Johnson, class of 86, and proprietor of Johnson Family Farm Supply. Are you tired of getting subpar alfalfa? ...”

Ha! nailed it!

to make a long story short @Hellraiser97 tried to kill me several times on a drive from Hurst to Austin that morning as he was my ride and his oversleeping-no-cellphone-having-ass overslept by almost 2 hours.

We did not leave Hurst until sometime around 7:15/20.   normal ETA.... 10am at the earliest.

The fucking game was kicked off at 10am!

However, we arrived, found parking, had met friends at Posse East by 9:15.....  something, something, Ford Mustang, something something 130Mph.

Go Ricky, Fuck aggy, and fuck Ricky's 2 fucking fumbles at the Texas 15.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't get to watch the game as I was on the way back from hiking in Big Bend.  I pulled over at Fort Lancaster in Sheffield and somehow found a radio station broadcasting the game.  It was a great day there and at DKR.  Had plenty of food and beer left to make it through the entire game.

Run, Ricky, run.

2 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Was there with my dad. Loudest I've ever heard DKR, though I'm told '04 OSU when Ramonce took that reverse to the house rivaled it.

I was in the student section that fine wet grass day.  It was glorious when the stupid towels stopped waving in the south end zone as Ricky broke free and the stadium erupted with the power of a thousand nuclear warheads exploding at once.  Shortly after the sound started to die down, I blew up Bessie (blow up sheep doll).  She bounced around the student section for the rest of the game.  I swear I saw a few corps turds gazing with jealousy of that little bouncing critter.

I was there against Missouri in 08 and I saw Ramonce with the reverse against OSU.  I did not attend the UH game in 1990 (I think).  I will have to say during and after the run was the loudest experience of any football game that I have attended.  The student section was deafening.  I was screaming as loud as I could, but my voice was completely lost in the sound.  It was the most amazing experience at DKR when I was a student.  

Mr. Williams, I thank you for the memory, and may God bless you forever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Domedriver said:

I was there!  Spent big bucks for a really good seat. It was magnificent !

I was a student and with my amazing 60 dollar sports package that earned me a ticket 4-5 rows from the top of the upper deck on the east side. 

• Like 1

I was there - my 2nd senior year.  Was supposed to go home for Thanksgiving but car broke down in SA.  Brother lived there so he brought me back up to the game.  Wife (then GF, no pics) swears to this day that the car did not break down and I stayed on purpose for the game. Yeah, right.  Like I'd do that. 

• Like 1

Can't believe it's been 20 years.

He's my favorite Longhorn of all time. I am thankful for VY, Colt, Earl, Street, etc but in my opinion Ricky did more for the program than any other player.  He was a stud rb out of California that had no business leaving the state. He chose Texas at a time where we were lost and wandering the desert. Then instead of leaving early he stayed to win the Heisman. Sure it was probably more for him, but it helped Mack get some credibility out of the gate.  

6 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

A lot of people forget actually how close the game was. Took a last second FG to break aggy's already broken hearts after the run. I've seen footage on youtube of the 98 bonfire and the milkman were talking up the crowd saying "wrecking crew will not let Ricky get the record" or some shit. lulz. 

Turnovers kept it close.  But Ricky ran all over them.  

I so wish I could find the news clip of some media person interviewing Ricky.  They asked if Ricky was worried about needing the 80 or whatever yards needed to break the record against the famed Wrecking Crew.  Ricky responded, “Have you seen my games against A&M?”

I think he still has the d 1 record for career rushing yards against a single opponent.  

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I was a student and with my amazing 60 dollar sports package that earned me a ticket 4-5 rows from the top of the upper deck on the east side. 

I had driven up from Houston by myself and was outside Schultz’s trying to buy a single as was another guy.  We ended up getting a pair for $380.  West side, lower deck at about the 35.  Tony Dorset was standing right in front of us when Ricky and him shook hands.

the only greater moment for me in Longhorn experiences was VY crossing the goal to win the NC.

I graduated the summer of '98 but my gf/now wife was still in school so we went to the game. What an incredible run and the entire stadium exploded - maybe the loudest single moment I've ever experienced in DKR. Just an amazing play to break the record. Interestingly, I lived a couple houses down from the guy who hugs Tony Dorsett in the video after the touchdown.

Spent 30 minutes after I got home screaming (not too loudly since I was already hoarse) on the phone at an aggy friend of mine about aggy being Ricky's bitch and him holding the record for most yards against a single opponent. Not sure if that record still stands or not. I think it was just shy of 800 yards he had against them in his career. Great ending to win on a last second kick as well since Ricky fumbled twice which let a&m back into the game. Would have definitely put a damper on the record if we had lost.

25 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I graduated the summer of '98 but my gf/now wife was still in school so we went to the game. What an incredible run and the entire stadium exploded - maybe the loudest single moment I've ever experienced in DKR. Just an amazing play to break the record. Interestingly, I lived a couple houses down from the guy who hugs Tony Dorsett in the video after the touchdown.

I have always wondered who is that goofy looking white boy who hugged Dorsett. Any info?