Time Magazine 2018 Person of the Year Shortlist

Brandywine

I'm not sure where to put this, but this seemed the most likely.

Time’s shortlist was announced Monday on NBC’s “Today.” The contenders also include President Donald Trump (Time’s 2016 Person of the Year), Russian President Vladimir Putin, special counsel Robert Mueller, “Black Panther” director Ryan CooglerChristine Blasey Ford, slain journalist Jamal Khashoggi, March for Our Lives activists, South Korean President Moon Jae-in, and Meghan Markle 

Interesting group. I think Mueller, because he was in control of pretty much what we talked about all year.  I don't know why Markle is on there. I would like to see March for Our Lives activists get it.

Thoughts?

It has to be Mueller.

Blasey-Ford was a huge story but limited in time.  Trump has dominated the headlines all year but it's too soon after 2016.  Black Panther was a relatively minor story albeit groundbreaking for many reasons.  Khashoggi same thing.  Huge story, but has only been in headlines for a few weeks.  March for Our Lives protesters seems like it could be a good pick, but that story too has been overshadowed in recent months since we're becoming numb to mass shootings.  I guess Putin could get the nod but I think they would pick Mueller first.  South Korean president?  Eh.

Meghan Markle?  Really?  No.

It ought to be Trump, borrowing $19 billion on whim to save farmers this season with no plan for next season, as "tarriff man" rides yelling yippee this is fun!

But I honestly would like to see it be Khashoggi, simply as he is the first American Journaist tortured killed and immediately forgotten by a US President.  Having him on the cover of time might be a nice way to remind the child-in-chief that he is a dipshit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Needs to be Khassogghi and the country needs to talk about it more

Agreed 100%. As a "news" outlet, I think this is the way they'll go to make a point about the "freedom of the press."

I do apologize if my scare quotes are too much in the above statement. They were just meant as a critique of what passes for "the press" nowadays in hope that they (and other) news organizations will start standing up and taking their responsibilities more seriously. As such, I can see them naming him as a metaphorical "shot across the bow" or a feigned "brave stance" against tyranny. 

I really need to cool it with the "air quotes."

giphy.webp

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Off topic a bit, but he's on the list...what the heck was so great about Black Panther?  I was excited to see it, but then when I did I thought it was horrible...in fact I actually walked out.  

Wouldn’t the protest have been a sit in?