First Responders Bowl - Boise vs BC

WBT

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Damn. No refunds.

I’d be reading all the fine print on my credit card to see if I can get a refund that way. 

If weather delaying your flight or cancelling is good for up to $500 then hopefully something similar for a sporting event. 

Edited by Telegraph_it
Words.

5 minutes ago, TweedCap said:

and the bowl gets to make off like a bandit with the ticket $$$.   The bowls themselves are the biggest hindrance and obstruction to getting our true playoff.    These are entrenched businesses who have take CFB hostage and will fight tooth and nail to to prevent an expanded playoff in order to keep their business going.  

And the sad thing is if they would embrace the playoffs they could actually become relevant again. 

8 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

You can by not changing to the channel the games are on. Is it really that hard for you not to watch?

I don't watch besides a few of them. It was a tongue in cheek comment since this game was cancelled. Don't get your feathers ruffled. I know how much these bowl games mean to you.

Dallas (once again) pulled off what we call a Jap play:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25619231/weather-cancels-no-23-boise-first-responder-bowl-vs-bc

NCAA spokesman J.D. Hamilton said via email that it was believed to be the first bowl canceled by weather. Hawaii's planned second postseason game of 1941, against San Jose State, was canceled because of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Also:

"Help me out guys, this is a new one,'' Boise coach Bryan Harsin said. "We prepared for this in fall camp where we ran into the locker room.''

Edited by clapclapclap
Added a major Harsin quote

I will not be surprised if this bowl game doesn't come back next season. The Dallas city council didn't want this game and has been wanting to get rid of it for a while. Cancelling it after the weather delay might be the final nail in the coffin.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/sports/2018/12/26/severe-weather-sacks-servpro-first-responder-bowl-fair-parks-cotton-bowl

"I did not feel like we should subsidize a crummy game," North Dallas council member Lee Kleinman said Wednesday. "I guess Mother Nature agreed." 

several Dallas City Council members spent several months this year fighting against the subsidy. Among the opposition's arguments: Attendance has been historically woeful, and giving the Walt Disney Co.-owned ESPN $300,000 over two years from the city's budget amounted to little more than "corporate welfare."

4 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I will not be surprised if this bowl game doesn't come back next season. The Dallas city council didn't want this game and has been wanting to get rid of it for a while. Cancelling it after the weather delay might be the final nail in the coffin.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/sports/2018/12/26/severe-weather-sacks-servpro-first-responder-bowl-fair-parks-cotton-bowl

"I did not feel like we should subsidize a crummy game," North Dallas council member Lee Kleinman said Wednesday. "I guess Mother Nature agreed." 

several Dallas City Council members spent several months this year fighting against the subsidy. Among the opposition's arguments: Attendance has been historically woeful, and giving the Walt Disney Co.-owned ESPN $300,000 over two years from the city's budget amounted to little more than "corporate welfare."

Yeah, but Lee Klienman is a gigantic cunt so who cares what he thinks?

• Like 1

Of all the bowl games, it was ironic that the First Responder Bowl game was the one canceled due to inclement weather.

“We were excited to play in this game and felt safe about it — we’ve got first responders, right?” Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin said. “This is a safe bowl game. But you can’t control the weather.”

The Boise State-Boston College game in Dallas was canceled around 3:30 p.m. ET Wednesday and will officially be considered a “no contest.” The game itself had initially been suspended for more than an hour because of lightning in the area with 5:08 left in the first quarter. BC led 7-0 at the time, thanks to an AJ Dillon touchdown. No stats for the game will count.

The FBS bowl record book notes two postseason games that have previously been canceled: Hawaii-San Jose State in 1941 (canceled following the attack on Pearl Harbor) and Ouachita Baptist-Tarleton State in 2013 (a Division II game canceled due to severe winter weather).

BC athletic director Martin Jarmond told The Athletic that the final decision to cancel the game came down to ESPN’s Brant Ringler, the executive director of the First Responder Bowl, who made the call in consultation with both schools’ athletic directors.

“It was very clear early on in the process that we either wait it out or we call it,” Jarmond said.

Clint Overby, VP of ESPN Events, said that “rescheduling the game really wasn’t a practical option” for many reasons, including travel and logistics.

Jarmond announced that tickets purchased through Boston College will be refunded and that people who bought tickets through BC “will receive free tickets for the number of bowl tickets purchased to any Boston College athletic event between now and next December.”

“After more than an hour since stoppage of play, and with review of the active lightning and thunderstorm cells still in the area of the Cotton Bowl, it was determined that the game should be called,” Pete Derzis, senior vice president of ESPN Events and programming, said in a statement. “All parties were concerned about player safety first and foremost, and with that being the primary concern, as well as the fans in attendance, it was a unanimous decision to cancel the game.”

When the game was first delayed by lightning, Jarmond and Boise State athletic director Curt Apsey met with Ringler and two weather experts, who showed everyone that the storm cell that had hit them wasn’t initially supposed to hit them. The wind shifted it.

Later, a bigger storm cell was coming, one with 350 lightning strikes in the cell, Jarmond said.

“It was going to be at minimum of four hours sitting in a locker room,” he said. “There was a small window in between where it would be clear, maybe 45 minutes. That’s not even counting warm-up time. We could have maybe played for 15 minutes. … To me, it was a no-brainer even considering how disappointed we were. We weren’t going to put our kids in harm’s way.”

On Wednesday morning, the forecast had looked nasty but playable until about 6 p.m. ET. The game was not moved up from its original kickoff time of 1:30 p.m. ET.

“It is not just that easy to say we will play at 7 p.m. tonight,” Boston College coach Steve Addazio told reporters. “The guys haven’t eaten, there is so much that goes into that. There are so many times that you can start and stop and there is a lot that goes into that. I am not a scientist.”

The most difficult part of a most unusual day came when the coaches and athletic directors had to tell their players they wouldn’t be playing. Seniors, in particular, took it hard.

“It sucks,” Boise State senior quarterback Brett Rypien said. “That is the only way you can put it. You fly all the way down here and unfortunately the weather wasn’t good enough. It wasn’t safe enough to play. I will be able to go out and enjoy a meal with my family tonight and hopefully others will too, but unfortunately for the fans that flew down here, that sucks.”

Harsin said he didn’t really know what to tell his team. His players were looking at him with “long faces,” he said, so he asked them to smile a little. “Help me out guys,” he told them.

“We sang the fight song to finish the right way,” Harsin said.

Boise State had actually done a lightning storm drill back in fall camp for this type of scenario, so that players would know how to react and where to go. The Broncos had a protocol in place, and they followed it on Wednesday. The delay went longer than their drill had, stretching close to an hour and a half.

“At some point, you’ve got to make a decision,” Harsin said. “You are a competitor. You did all that work to play. There’s no reason not to have that mindset. When you look at what really is happening, you’ve got to take a step back and think for a minute, is this really the best decision? To play was not really the best decision. There were too many unknowns.”

Fans didn’t find out that the game was canceled until after they had already trickled back into the stadium and to their seats following the initial delay. The rain had stopped. Fans found out the game was canceled via a PA announcement and a message on the video board.

Jarmond went into the BC locker room along with Addazio to inform players that the season was over.

“I did not anticipate the level of disappointment from our guys,” Jarmond said. “The narrative nationally is that guys don’t want to play bowl games. So many guys of our guys were emotional when I delivered the news to them. It was really tough. You never expect to go out like this.

“But it is a great lesson for our guys. That’s what I told them in the locker room. This is about life; life is unexpected. It throws you curveballs. It’s all about how we respond.”

The First Responder Bowl is sponsored by SERVPRO, a nationwide restoration company with a slogan that says “like it never even happened.”

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

I wonder how much money the nation's first reponders put together to obtain some sponsorship recognition?  

(p.s. I know there is a real sponsor attached this is a joke)

Dang. Finally got me a bowl game, and in the Cotton Bowl no less! 

And it got rained out ...

3 hours ago, TweedCap said:

and the bowl gets to make off like a bandit with the ticket $$$.   The bowls themselves are the biggest hindrance and obstruction to getting our true playoff.    These are entrenched businesses who have take CFB hostage and will fight tooth and nail to to prevent an expanded playoff in order to keep their business going.  

Agreed, and I doubt the CFP would "cancel" a game...

If Dallas really wants a bowl it should be at SMU or one of the stupid mega high school stadiums. Maybe even at The Star for a coolness factor. If it’s going to be a 6-6 v 6-6 matchup with one or more G5’s it’s not meant to be hugely attended and is more for TV. Make Jerruh and the Frisco taxpayers subsidize it if necessary. Maybe a contribution from the Dallas visitors bureau or whatever. Opening up the 90,000 seat Cotton Bowl is stupid and looks awful on TV.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

If Dallas really wants a bowl it should be at SMU or one of the stupid mega high school stadiums. Maybe even at The Star for a coolness factor. If it’s going to be a 6-6 v 6-6 matchup with one or more G5’s it’s not meant to be hugely attended and is more for TV. Make Jerruh and the Frisco taxpayers subsidize it if necessary. Maybe a contribution from the Dallas visitors bureau or whatever. Opening up the 90,000 seat Cotton Bowl is stupid and looks awful on TV.

I agree with moving it to the star in Frisco. Don't have to worry about the weather when you play indoors.

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I still dont understand why you dont just delay the game 4 or 6 or even 8 hours?

hell, didnt osu/tulsa kick off at 2am in 2011 after a 6 or 7 hour rain delay?

The bowls probably didn't want to have a call from fans to fund an extra night of hotel rooms for fans...

Do y'all know that ServPro, the bowl game's sponsor, has a company motto that refers to their flood damage cleanup capability, which is "Just like it never happened." How fitting is this? Just like the bowl game never happened.

Edited by Longboard Horn
Company motto checks out

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

There’s already a Frisco Bowl too. 

Was this one of those games that had a dozen other names over the years?  I realize it's not The Cotton Bowl.  That many marquee stadiums/games have a crappier second-tier game leading up to their big one (and yes, the new Cotton Bowl is in Arlington).  But did this have any other name or was this brand spanking new this year?  

15 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Apparently because of the ESPN window for the game. Fuck it, put it on ESPN News and play behind closed doors.

ESPN is the sole reason this bowl exists.  It's one they created to fill a particular timeslot in their programming.  

Again, fuck the bowls.

After a cursory read, I think this was the same one that was the Ticket City Bowl and then the Zaxby's Bowl last year.  One of those that ESPN mostly runs with some local help and community engagement.  Interesting opportunity...