Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Then how can you have a fair opinion of the current cable news channels? 

I've watched enough.  And I occasionally listen to them on XM when driving.  I've got a pretty comfortable feel for CNN, MSNBC, Fox, NPR, and the BBC's on-air presentation.  I'll further note that the most objective, least bombastic of those sources -- NPR and the BBC -- are distant also-rans in the American marketplace.  You can fellate MSNBC all you want, but from a non-fanboi view, it's clearly feeding the appetite of left-side news consumers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

it's clearly feeding the appetite of left-side news consumers.

I never claimed they were objective, just that they’re putting out a better product than their competitors at the moment and they’re doing it by repositioning towards the center. 

Cable news isn’t a great source of information but it is a source of information that shapes the public discourse in this country.  You can bemoan that all you want but it is a political reality.

There’s no reason not to embrace positive changes in these platforms. 

58 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The free market is saying CNN sucks. It’s also slowly rejecting Fox News and embracing MSNBC.  

Why do you think that is? 

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/january-2019-ratings-msnbc-is-home-to-the-no-1-show-on-cable-news/392405

MSNBC was the second-most-watched network on cable television for the month of January. It also posted +14 percent growth in total day and +6 percent growth in prime time vs. January 2018.

Not only did NBCU’s politics-focused cable network post year-over-year total audience growth, but more Americans tuned into MSNBC for their late-night cable news fix than any other cable news network. Per Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, MSNBC was No. 1 in total viewers during the 9 p.m., 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. timeslots, anchored byRachel Maddow, Lawrence O’Donnell and Brian Williams, respectively.

The Rachel Maddow Show was the No. 1 cable news program for the month of January across all relevant categories. TRMS averaged 3.29 million total viewers for the month, which is the largest total viewer delivery for a 9 p.m. show in the history of the network.

The Last Word and The 11th Hour also set total audience records for a month, with the former averaging 2.57 million during the 10 p.m. hour, and the latter averaging 1.85 million during the 11 p.m. hour.

MSNBC also seems to have found something with Deadline: White House. Hosted by Nicolle Wallace, the show ranked No. 1 in total viewers during the 4 p.m. hour this month.

All of those ratings are crap.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I never claimed they were objective, just that they’re putting out a better product than their competitors at the moment and they’re doing it by repositioning towards the center. 

Cable news isn’t a great source of information but it is a source of information that shapes the public discourse in this country.  You can bemoan that all you want but it is a political reality.

There’s no reason not to embrace positive changes in these platforms. 

Great, go for it.  They should all emulate the BBC.  But they aren't, and they won't.

Your hypothesis is that MSNBC is seeing gains because it is moving "centrist."  My hypothesis is that most consumers want to feed their confirmation bias, and in an increasingly polarized market, there's a strong desire for anti-Fox news.  MSNBC fits that bill, which makes it attractive to the consumer wave.  I like my hypothesis more than yours.  Recent data on media consumption (and hell, just look at the success of Fox) looks to support my hypothesis more.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m just saying, MSNBC has come a long way from Keith Oberman and CNN has gone back to the Pat Buchanan crossfire well.  

MSNBC currently has the #1 show at the 4PM hour and it’s hosted by a GWB White House official. 

They also have the better experts in IC and legal analysis

All of this is because of Donald Trump. He drives MSNBC. I know because I consume the product. It's all Trump, all the time.

34 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m just saying, MSNBC has come a long way from Keith Oberman and CNN has gone back to the Pat Buchanan crossfire well.  

MSNBC currently has the #1 show at the 4PM hour and it’s hosted by a GWB White House official. 

They also have the better experts in IC and legal analysis

I still like Chris Cuomo, and CNN does have Paul Begala and John King. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Great, go for it.  They should all emulate the BBC.  But they aren't, and they won't.

Your hypothesis is that MSNBC is seeing gains because it is moving "centrist."  My hypothesis is that most consumers want to feed their confirmation bias, and in an increasingly polarized market, there's a strong desire for anti-Fox news.  MSNBC fits that bill, which makes it attractive to the consumer wave.  I like my hypothesis more than yours.  Recent data on media consumption (and hell, just look at the success of Fox) looks to support my hypothesis more.

The opposition news network will always have see a surge in ratings when the "other" party is in charge. People developed their Fox News habits as they tuned in to hate-watch the latest developments on Obama and all the supposedly evil things he was doing.

Now the people who hate Trump are tuning in to hear from the MSNBC carnival barkers about what a POS he is. Meanwhile Fox is still running nonsense about HRC and Deep State, and it doesn't rile up the market like tan suit wearing grey poupon eating Kenya born Presidents do.

Lost in all of this is that cable news is 95% editorializing and 5% facts. GTFOH with that garbage. I want someone to tell me in an even voice what is going on. I am educated enough to draw my own conclusions. When I want extra color, I'll go seek it. I don't need former electorate analysts and party consultants to bloviate in groups of 5 about what it all means. The fucking network hasn't even told us what "it" is before they bring in a bunch of the same old tired irrelevant paycheck-collectors to speak in little split screen windows as they interrupt each other and shout nonsense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I still like Chris Cuomo, and CNN does have Paul Begala and John King. 

I like all of CNNs prime time anchors. Tapper, Cooper, Blitzer and Como. They are all good at their jobs and not total hacks. I think a large portion of their panelists are terrible. Hennessey is good at her job and I'm liking the new trend of having Preet on to discuss legal matters. They would be much better off if they would get rid of Acosta and Santorum.  

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There is no left wing version of Fox News and their competition isn’t moving towards that.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s easier to say that instead of giving thoughtful analysis.  They all could be better at providing information but they are all different. 

They all have different owners with different views and aims.  I don’t watch enough of any of them these days to present a more nuanced analysis, but MSNBC feels like they are playing a long game of building a steady audience and focusing on a bigger picture, while CNN still has that mentality of being the network that’s always on in airports and hotel lobbies, and being ready to break away for news    

MSNBC currently feels like their ownership is perfectly threading a needle and pulling in viewers that they wouldn’t normally pull in.  Granted, Trump helps out a lot with that.  A lot.  But MSNBC seems to have an overall focus   

CNN’s problem is that they.....have panelists on that are shit.   They have a few hosts they need to ditch as well.   Going back to the airport/lobby thing, it also feels like they are focusing more on capturing fleeting audiences that are flipping channels or walking through hotel lobbies or airports.  

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Also known as "the truth" or "reality."

Two extremes don't make for reality.  You can watch the "All women are evil!" channel, and someone else can watch the "All women are saints!" channel.  Doesn't change the reality: womens is crazy, but also awesome, and some are better than others.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

They all have different owners with different views and aims.  I don’t watch enough of any of them these days to present a more nuanced analysis, but MSNBC feels like they are playing a long game of building a steady audience and focusing on a bigger picture, while CNN still has that mentality of being the network that’s always on in airports and hotel lobbies, and being ready to break away for news    

MSNBC currently feels like their ownership is perfectly threading a needle and pulling in viewers that they wouldn’t normally pull in.  Granted, Trump helps out a lot with that.  A lot.  But MSNBC seems to have an overall focus   

CNN’s problem is that they.....have panelists on that are shit.   They have a few hosts they need to ditch as well.   Going back to the airport/lobby thing, it also feels like they are focusing more on capturing fleeting audiences that are flipping channels or walking through hotel lobbies or airports.  

This is actually good analysis.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Two extremes don't make for reality.  You can watch the "All women are evil!" channel, and someone else can watch the "All women are saints!" channel.  Doesn't change the reality: womens is crazy, but also awesome, and some are better than others.

9839942568852df25f5ea3ee9edee096.jpg

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in the Big Chill - his character writes for People magazine:

Well where I work we only have one editorial rule. You can't write anything longer than it takes your average person to take an average crap.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I was being flippant.  And I'm generally not a fan of MSNBC.

But as I said earlier: other stations are guilty of spin, selective coverage, and editorializing; Fox News is guilty of creating an entirely false narrative.  Fox News is not a reliable source of information on any level.  They're just making shit up.  MSNBC cannot be fairly accused of anything remotely similar to what Fox News is doing.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

Fox is an entirely different product from any of the other cable news programs and it has become far worse since Trump took over the GOP. Anyone saying otherwise simply hasn't watched it. They are peddling a completely different reality than the world around us and it's nearly 24/7. Watch the Five, Hannity and Ingraham. It is completely surreal.

Shep Smith is the lone bright spot and they bumped him yesterday rather than let him cover Cohen and Trump's crimes. They put reliable toadie Dana Perino on instead. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Shep Smith is the lone bright spot and they bumped him yesterday rather than let him cover Cohen and Trump's crimes. They put reliable toadie Dana Perino on instead. 

That is so FOX. They keep Shep around to say "Look, we're legit!" But no way they're gonna let him legitimize bad news for Trump.

8 minutes ago, RPM said:

That is so FOX. They keep Shep around to say "Look, we're legit!" But no way they're gonna let him legitimize bad news for Trump.

Immediately after Cohen's testimony, they cut to the Five. One of the co-hosts of the Five, Greg Guttfield threatened to throw Juan Williams off the set if he kept saying the others were in the bunker. He then went on to say that anyone referring to a bunker is referring to one with Adolf Hitler in it. 

“If you say that again, I’m going to throw you off the set. You know what the bunker means? What you’re intimating is that––who’s in the bunker, Adolf Hitler, correct?”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/greg-gutfeld-erupts-on-juan-williams-for-saying-hes-in-the-bunker-for-trump-im-gonna-throw-you-off-the-set/

This shit doesn't happen on any network, except Fox. Fox is an entirely different animal than anything else we have on American TV and the country is much worse for it. Rupert Murdoch deserves the guillotine as much as anyone. 

Edited by suddenly shaggy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Fox is an entirely different product from any of the other cable news programs and it has become far worse since Trump took over the GOP. Anyone saying otherwise simply hasn't watched it. They are peddling a completely different reality than the world around us and it's nearly 24/7. Watch the Five, Hannity and Ingraham. It is completely surreal.

This is the difference. Fox isn't a news channel that has decided to target its opinion programming at a right-leaning audience. Fox is a propaganda network that intentionally uses its straight news reporting to deceive its audience and promote a false narrative. The Fox News audience is less knowledgeable about the news and what is going on in the world than people who don't watch or read the news at all. They deliberately misinform their audience in order to push an ideological agenda.

Regular news outlets (be they cable news, newspaper, websites, etc.) are certainly subject to internal biases and various pressures that shape their coverage. Wherever you work, there's pressure to present stories that people are interested in, because you've got to make money. Editorial bias certainly plays a role at any news outlet in terms of determining whether to cover a story and how much time/space to devote to it. Someone has to make a decision on those things and that person is more likely than not at any honest news outlet to be liberal-leaning, because many fewer conservatives want to be journalists (there's a reason aggy closed their journalism school). And MSNBC certainly made an executive-level decision very on in its existence to have its opinion programming cater to a left-leaning audience. Hell, they may have even thought of themselves back in the late 90s as the left's version of Fox News.

But MSNBC, and CNN, and the NY Times, and the Washington Post, and every other legitimate news outlet have policies and procedures in place to ensure that they adhere to journalistic standards. They don't deliberately push propaganda and they don't try to shape a narrative for political reasons. That doesn't mean they won't attempt to play into a popular narrative with real reporting, which MSNBC certainly does with the Russia story for example. They need viewers and the Russia story is very popular among the cable TV news audience. It also happens to be an extremely newsworthy topic that continually has new stories coming to light. It's a news gold mine and the fact that everything that is revealed makes Trump look worse and worse isn't their fault.

That's wholly different from what Fox does. Fox frequently prevents its "straight news" types from covering stories that are damaging for Republicans even when they are extremely newsworthy. It promotes stories that aren't very newsworthy into headline news if they make liberals look bad. They launder insane internet bullshit like Jade Helm into real "news" by discussing it first in their opinion shows and then covering their opinion show's discussion in their "straight news" programming. They are in every sense of the term a propaganda network.

• Like 9

^spot on

Another example. Michael Cohen had three clients, Donald Trump, Elliot Broidy and Sean Hannity. Hannity rails on Cohen incessantly, but doesn't disclose that Cohen was his lawyer. It's massively unethical and it's a tiny sliver of the unethical shit Fox pulls off every day.

Watch it if you think we're wrong. It's gotten far worse than before. It's straight up 1984 propaganda now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The free market is saying CNN sucks. It’s also slowly rejecting Fox News and embracing MSNBC.  

Why do you think that is? 

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/january-2019-ratings-msnbc-is-home-to-the-no-1-show-on-cable-news/392405

MSNBC was the second-most-watched network on cable television for the month of January. It also posted +14 percent growth in total day and +6 percent growth in prime time vs. January 2018.

Not only did NBCU’s politics-focused cable network post year-over-year total audience growth, but more Americans tuned into MSNBC for their late-night cable news fix than any other cable news network. Per Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, MSNBC was No. 1 in total viewers during the 9 p.m., 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. timeslots, anchored byRachel Maddow, Lawrence O’Donnell and Brian Williams, respectively.

The Rachel Maddow Show was the No. 1 cable news program for the month of January across all relevant categories. TRMS averaged 3.29 million total viewers for the month, which is the largest total viewer delivery for a 9 p.m. show in the history of the network.

The Last Word and The 11th Hour also set total audience records for a month, with the former averaging 2.57 million during the 10 p.m. hour, and the latter averaging 1.85 million during the 11 p.m. hour.

MSNBC also seems to have found something with Deadline: White House. Hosted by Nicolle Wallace, the show ranked No. 1 in total viewers during the 4 p.m. hour this month.

As for fox viewers dropping it's because America loves a trainwreck.  And Fox isn't showing the trainwreck.  It's going to be interesting when they realize they've dropped too many viewers and make a hard turn against Trump.  It's going to happen...matter of when.  Likely, they'll be the assholes turning out the lights...Last one out etc. 

Goddamnit, this thread is for laughing at the fat, retarded, morally bankrupt shitstain currently holding office as our president. If you guys wanna argue about which cable news channel sucks more ass, do it in one of the various threads about media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Not just this.  MSNBC spellllllssssssss it out soooooo fucking slowwwwwllyyyyy...  I hate to say this but it caters to a 'slower' audience.  I actually much prefer MSNBC to Fox (obviously) but it is such a drag to watch Maddow take 7 minutes to close a point that should have been 30 seconds.  But that's what the average Joe needs to get anything through his thick skull. 

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Goddamnit, this thread is for laughing at the fat, retarded, morally bankrupt shitstain currently holding office as our president. If you guys wanna argue about which cable news channel sucks more ass, do it in one of the various threads about media.

Let's be honest, this thread is a blackhole.  It sucks everything up...and once you're here, you ain't going back. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

As for fox viewers dropping it's because America loves a trainwreck.  And Fox isn't showing the trainwreck.  It's going to be interesting when they realize they've dropped too many viewers and make a hard turn against Trump.  It's going to happen...matter of when.  Likely, they'll be the assholes turning out the lights...Last one out etc. 

It's going to be a bit. Right now you've got them bending over backwards to defend Trump. Gregg Guttfield threatened to throw Juan Williams off the set and invoked Godwin's Law in the process. 

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I pity the children of the future that will have to study the Trump administration. 

It will be interesting to see how much of it is whitewashed. 

Do children study Harding, Nixon, or Reagan's Iran-Contra scandal? You might get a mention and that's it. We don't educate children about anything real about our government. I'm assuming we haven't advanced much from the basic Checks and Balances explanation. 

This failure to educate seems related to the following posts.

9 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

With the internet and archives, will be hard to whitewash stuff

Anybody know any child under 18 who used the internet to look up the details of Harding or Nixon after being disappointed by what they were told in class?

3 hours ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Fuck CNN for putting Santorum on the air. They know full well what he's going to say. Trump wouldn't be able to pull this off without MASSIVE incompetence by our media. 

The media are generally incompetent, but they're not the reason Trump is pulling off this large scale fraud. When I was frustrated with the media for not nailing Reagan better, my brother pointed out the information is out there. How else did I have enough to form my own opinion?

I think the frustration comes from a former assumption that the electorate is basically like me and if they knew what I did, they'd do the right thing. That was foolish. The electorate knows everything I do about Trump. They've just decided on ego defense where they will embrace any alternative explanation that justifies their identity as patriotic Americans who are the only righteous Americans in America.

Trump isn't a crook. He's a great president doing great things, but the deep state and media conspire to bring him down because they all hate America and work for the Clinton Cabal.

In short, the fault lies with Idiot World rather than the information outlets they ignore or defame.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Disagree.  Strongly.  For all of the hell that CNN catches, it at least goes through the motions of trying to be a somewhat objective news outlet.  Most American consumers do NOT want that product.

Instead, they want a product that feeds their confirmation bias by direct IV injection.  Thus, the successful outlets are Fox and MSNBC.

Shorter version - there is no market for smart, because we're stupid.

Preach on, reverend, preach on.