Woman in vegetative state gives birth and no one at facility knows she's pregnant

lemonlime

On 1/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Let’s not go assuming it’s a guy until all the facts are out, ok?

Lotta rush to judgement here.  Have we forgotten that the gestation period of the human baby is highly variable?  Sure 10 years seems like a long time, but is it really?

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

Goddamned ten years. My wife knows to give me a month or so for a miracle then if the doctors agree I’m done just pull the fucking plug. I should probably write that down. My moms uber catholic and I could see her trying to go terry schaivo on me.

Was it Sam Kennison who did the bit about being on the slab at the morgue? thinking "well, here I am, dead at last. At least the world is done fucking with me."

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

WTF is wrong with this woman's legal guardian?  over 10 fucking  years?! pull the plug let her pass on the next plane.  Best case there is zero awareness of anything going on.  Worst case is the most vile hell imaginable.

She is 29 now and entered the facility at aged 3.  I hate people.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6582775/Frantic-911-call-nurses-rescued-newborn-mother-vegetative-state-gives-birth.html

yes, that video crossed my mind earlier. 

also, there was something on the radio.  can't remember what podcast, but it talked about people waking up from anesthesiology during surgery and not being able to move a single muscle but aware of everything around them.  Completely helpless and not able to communicate.  interesting stuff about how we still really don't know exactly how that stuff works in our brains to produce the results it does nor why some people can regain consciousness from it unexpectedly.

• 2 weeks later...

PHOENIX (AP) — Phoenix police say a licensed practical nurse has been arrested on a charge of sexual assault in the impregnation of an incapacitated woman who gave birth last month at a long-term health care facility.

Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams said Wednesday that investigators arrested 36-year-old Nathan Sutherland on one count of sexual assault and one count of vulnerable adult abuse.

Williams says Sutherland worked at the Hacienda HealthCare facility where the woman lived and had been providing care to her.

The 29-year-old victim has been incapacitated since the age of 3 and gave birth to a boy at the facility on Dec. 29.

Employees said they had no idea she was pregnant. Court records say her last known physical was in April.

Edited by Seasick Sailor

2 minutes ago, thestud said:

Parents of the victim have come out and stated that earlier depictions of her being in a vegetative state are false. Evidently she can communicate through hand gestures and other nonverbal means. They say she went into this limited capacity state after a bout with a seizure disorder so I’m guess she had a bad one and went hypoxic and suffered some brain damage.

A rope and a short drop followed by a sudden stop seem about right for this piece of shit.

if she can communicate maybe she consented.  you know, everyone needs a little lovin sometimes. 

19 hours ago, futureman said:

if she can communicate maybe she consented.  you know, everyone needs a little lovin sometimes. 

With her limited communication abilities it could have all just been a big misunderstanding. Mixed signals if you will. He thought she was giving him the green light and she just wanted someone to change her diaper.

Evidently she can communicate through hand gestures and other nonverbal means. They say she went into this limited capacity state after a bout with a seizure disorder so I’m guess she had a bad one and went hypoxic and suffered some brain damage.

Wonder if the age 3 stuff is accurate. I can't imagine the communication skills of someone who stopped school, socialization, etc. at age 3 for 23 years.