Remembering some past players

Bullneck

2 players that lacked speed (i suppose) to make the NFL but were GREAT college ballers -- Anthony Curl LB from about 1990 had over 100 tackles in a year iirc -- and John Harris of recent years who could catch anything and then some. 

Old school early 1980.. we had a LB who hit like a ton of bricks - Ricky Churchman. All over the damn place, a white version of Troy Palumalu if you will. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The one I wonder about was Mike Williams from Lindale.  He had Von Miller ability.  

the 2005 defense would have been even better with him.  That and the loss of Garnet Smith is why Aaron Harris and Rashad Babino started, thanks to the DBs and DL the D was still very good but with freak LBs like Williams and Smith would have been out of this world The game would not be 41-38, maybe 35-24.  

On 1/19/2019 at 2:34 PM, NowThis said:

2 players that lacked speed (i suppose) to make the NFL but were GREAT college ballers -- Anthony Curl LB from about 1990 had over 100 tackles in a year iirc -- and John Harris of recent years who could catch anything and then some. 

Old school early 1980.. we had a LB who hit like a ton of bricks - Ricky Churchman. All over the damn place, a white version of Troy Palumalu if you will. 

Churchman was late 70s safety. He played briefly for the 49ers, but blew out his knee(?) and that was it. I think he even started some games for SF. He was great in run support. I remember him flying in from nowhere to cut down ball carriers for negative yards on sweeps and pitches. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Whatever happened to Erik Hardeman? 

Nvm. Just saw he went to prison. Wow.

That still irks me, used to give him rides to school when he was in elementary (friends with my little sister). Had a good mom and he was a decent student. Just made the dumbest decision of his life to try to distribute a shitload of coke.

the 2005 defense would have been even better with him.  That and the loss of Garnet Smith is why Aaron Harris and Rashad Babino started, thanks to the DBs and DL the D was still very good but with freak LBs like Williams and Smith would have been out of this world The game would not be 41-38, maybe 35-24.  

Garnet Smith had serious athletic ability but was not a great football player.

4 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

That still irks me, used to give him rides to school when he was in elementary (friends with my little sister). Had a good mom and he was a decent student. Just made the dumbest decision of his life to try to distribute a shitload of coke.

I remember he was a damn good RB in hs, too. Sucks he made such bad choices, ya know? What could have been.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:30 PM, 2inDaPink1inDaStink said:

Any updates on Joel Ron McKelvey 

This is where I dig up that time I was on Jury Duty here in San Diego for some guy named Ron Weaver. When they asked the potential jurors if anyone knew him, I raised my hand: "Are you the same Ron Weaver who, under the alias Ron McKelvey, played football for the Texas Longhorns?"

Sheepish grin: "That I am."

Me to the judge: "Yeah, I can't be on this jury."

Judge to me: "How do you know this?"

should have asked to speak in private as to why I might be biased towards him. (I didn't know that was an option.) As it was, I had to tell enough of the truth without poisoning everyone else... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

This is where I dig up that time I was on Jury Duty here in San Diego for some guy named Ron Weaver. When they asked the potential jurors if anyone knew him, I raised my hand: "Are you the same Ron Weaver who, under the alias Ron McKelvey, played football for the Texas Longhorns?"

Sheepish grin: "That I am."

Me to the judge: "Yeah, I can't be on this jury."

Judge to me: "How do you know this?"

should have asked to speak in private as to why I might be biased towards him. (I didn't know that was an option.) As it was, I had to tell enough of the truth without poisoning everyone else... 

You're a better man than me.  I might have stayed silent and executed a John Grisham plot of Runaway Jury. 

Judge: Foreman, have you reached a verdict?

Me:  Your honor, we find the defendant guilty of reckless distraction and causing a bowl game loss to a bunch of pederasts.

Judge:  Excuse me?

Me:  Oh, possession with intent to distribute.  That's what i meant.

6 hours ago, Handcruser said:

What was the name of that DB we signed out of philly or somewhere in the mid 90’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cosmo Palmieri?

(with apologies to Cosmo if it isn"t who you're thinking of)

Edited by Bullneck

21 hours ago, Not a cat said:

You're a better man than me.  I might have stayed silent and executed a John Grisham plot of Runaway Jury. 

Judge: Foreman, have you reached a verdict?

Me:  Your honor, we find the defendant guilty of reckless distraction and causing a bowl game loss to a bunch of pederasts.

Judge:  Excuse me?

Me:  Oh, possession with intent to distribute.  That's what i meant.

Judge: But... foreman, he was charged with failing to pay thirty-seven unpaid parking tickets.*

@Not a cat: ...and we hereby sentence him to DEATH.

Judge: That's... that's not how this works!

Notacat: Jury Nullification, bitch. Get a rope.

Judge: That's not what that means!

*This is true, btw

• Haha 2

DJ Monroe is currently the offensive coordinator for Victoria St. Joseph high school.

Fun fact: Monroe was the last UT player to return a kickoff for a touchdown. Given that kickoffs may not have much of a future in the sport, he may go down as the last Longhorn to ever do it.